Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP?? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP?? - Mozilla ; Gordon wrote: > Virtual Guy wrote: >> Chris Ilias wrote: >>> On 6/17/08 3:48 PM, _Virtual Guy_ spoke thusly: >>>> Firefox 3 took away the Go button on the URL bar and there is no >>>> toolbar customization to put ...

  1. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Gordon wrote:
    > Virtual Guy wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> On 6/17/08 3:48 PM, _Virtual Guy_ spoke thusly:
    >>>
    >>> The Go arrow will appear when the text in the Location bar is
    >>> different from the page you are at.

    >> Thanks for the clarification. I guess evolving from a Go button to a Go
    >> arrow is considered progress. I like the new interface, and I guess I
    >> will get used to the new arrow.

    > IE7 does the same thing - who copied who? ;-)

    That's nothing new though the wheels at Mozilla protest at the
    suggestion. with the advent of FF they been coping the IE/OE Theme for
    years. Buts there is to much water over the Bridge, or under the Dam
    now. ;-(

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  2. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    On 17.06.2008 22:44, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Virtual Guy to
    generate the following:? :
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/17/08 3:48 PM, _Virtual Guy_ spoke thusly:
    >>
    >>> Firefox 3 took away the Go button on the URL bar and there is no
    >>> toolbar customization to put one there. I am just about ready to go
    >>> postal on someone for taking my Go button. G*dD***it... why did they
    >>> do that?!! It wasn't hurting anyone. It was to f**king small to be in
    >>> the way. It's just a Go button, for God's sake. What idiot decided it
    >>> wasn't useful? I want to choke someone, preferably someone at Mozilla.
    >>> Good God, man, I need a Go button pill...
    >>>

    >> The Go arrow will appear when the text in the Location bar is different
    >> from the page you are at.
    >>

    > Thanks for the clarification. I guess evolving from a Go button to a Go
    > arrow is considered progress. I like the new interface, and I guess I
    > will get used to the new arrow.

    *see* - the devs *KNOW* what's good for you!

    reg

  3. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    On 6/17/2008 4:30 PM Chris Ilias scribbled the following:

    > The Go arrow will appear when the text in the Location bar is different
    > from the page you are at.

    I'm still using 20014 and I don't see any GO button. Never have, that I
    can recall. There's a green check mark at the end and the outside of the
    location bar. If I do go to version 3, my only hope is that Zotero,
    Vertov, Unplug, and a couple of other small items work. Then mebbe I'll
    see a GO button. .............and still hit the ENTER key...

    Sometimes reading these posts I wonder if I have the same software as
    everyone else.... {sigh}

    {charley}

  4. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    On 6/17/08 7:37 PM, _Charles Wootten_ spoke thusly:
    > I'm still using 20014 and I don't see any GO button. Never have, that I
    > can recall. There's a green check mark at the end and the outside of the
    > location bar. If I do go to version 3, my only hope is that Zotero,
    > Vertov, Unplug, and a couple of other small items work. Then mebbe I'll
    > see a GO button. .............and still hit the ENTER key...
    >
    > Sometimes reading these posts I wonder if I have the same software as
    > everyone else.... {sigh}

    Are you using a different theme, than the default? I really don't know
    how the Firefox 2 Go icon could be interpreted as a check mark. But
    you're referring to the correct place. There are images at:

    --
    Chris Ilias

  5. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    "Virtual Guy" wrote in message
    news:nPydnfp8CsH9h8XVnZ2dnUVZ_vjinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> Virtual Guy wrote:
    >>> Firefox 3 took away the Go button on the URL bar and there is no toolbar
    >>> customization to put one there. I am just about ready to go postal on
    >>> someone for taking my Go button. G*dD***it... why did they do that?!! It
    >>> wasn't hurting anyone. It was to f**king small to be in the way. It's
    >>> just a Go button, for God's sake. What idiot decided it wasn't useful? I
    >>> want to choke someone, preferably someone at Mozilla. Good God, man, I
    >>> need a Go button pill...

    >> Why do you need one? just hit return......

    > I knew that would be the inevitable reply. Not everyone uses the a Web
    > browser the same way you do? I find the Go button to be far more efficient
    > in many circumstances. The way I use my browser, it is a must. I should
    > NOT be forced to use the browser the way someone else thinks is best for
    > me. I know what I want. I want a ****ing Go button on my address bar. It
    > is a simple matter that makes a huge difference to me, and probably many
    > others.

    Write your own browser! Then you can have one exactly to your own liking!

  6. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    On 6/17/2008 4:44 PM, Virtual Guy wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> On 6/17/08 3:48 PM, _Virtual Guy_ spoke thusly:
    >>> Firefox 3 took away the Go button on the URL bar and there is no
    >>> toolbar customization to put one there. I am just about ready to go
    >>> postal on someone for taking my Go button. G*dD***it... why did they
    >>> do that?!! It wasn't hurting anyone. It was to f**king small to be in
    >>> the way. It's just a Go button, for God's sake. What idiot decided it
    >>> wasn't useful? I want to choke someone, preferably someone at
    >>> Mozilla. Good God, man, I need a Go button pill...

    >> The Go arrow will appear when the text in the Location bar is
    >> different from the page you are at.

    > Thanks for the clarification. I guess evolving from a Go button to a Go
    > arrow is considered progress. I like the new interface, and I guess I
    > will get used to the new arrow.

    I would guess that as more themes become available someone will make a more
    impressive button. In the meantime you can go to my site and upload a modified
    go arrow for Firefox 3.

    Replace the file with the same name in:

    C:\Program Files\firefox3\chrome\classic.jar (Your path may vary.)

    It can be opened in any program that can open .zip files. In some cases you may
    need to temporarily rename the file to classic.zip, but usually "Open with..."
    in the context menu will include your zip program.

    Just for the halibut I am going to attach the file to this post, but the server
    may strip it :-(

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  7. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Virtual Guy wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Good Grief!
    >>> It's just a button. If you can't press enter, then download an
    >>> extension to put it back on the line. Sheesh!

    >> No, it's not JUST a button. It's the friggin' GO button. It has been
    >> on Web browsers since the Web browser was invented. It serves a
    >> perfectly useful purpose, and when it's where it's supposed to be, I
    >> don't have lift my hand from the mouse, find the keyboard, then find
    >> the mouse again. Having no GO button reduces my efficiency with wasted
    >> movement. I can only hope there is an add-on that will give it back.
    >> I've never seen one, and I've never needed one, because the Go button
    >> was always there. To me, it seems stupid to eliminate the Go button
    >> from the URL bar. It's like removing the SEND button from your e-mail
    >> client.

    > That what you get when developers rather than taking into consideration
    > the normal ways of doing things decide "oh, we don't need the go button.
    > Not realizing it cuts down on efficiency not to have one.

    Hi Phillip,

    I wasn't a CET but a simply data acquisition and control programmer and hated it when companies/vendors did just as you describe, *just for the sake of change*. Most of my "clientes" were physicist at a national laboratory and I knew they were more important to the lab and a projects than I was, after all it was their lab and projects. I NEVER changed selection routines or output presentation unless first confirming with the people that used the programs!

    Of course I only had about 50 customers max and FF has thousands...probably all the more reason to maintain familiarity with the BASIC program shell.

  8. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Charles W Davis wrote:
    > Write your own browser! Then you can have one exactly to your own liking!

    Right. In fact, this is open source! Download and modify your own
    version of Firefox. You can sell it to all of those people who are so
    inflamed as you are about having a go button. You'll make a mint fer sure!

    Oh wait, this is open source... ;-)
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

  9. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Virtual Guy wrote:
    > No, it's not JUST a button. It's the friggin' GO button.

    Which makes it just a button!
    > It has been on Web browsers since the Web browser was invented.

    So what!
    > It serves a perfectly useful purpose, and when it's where it's
    > supposed to be, I don't have lift my hand from the mouse, find the
    > keyboard, then find the mouse again.

    Why would you be hovering over the go button when you just clicked on
    the address bar to enter the URL you wish to go to? Wouldn't you be in
    the address bar with that mouse? Wouldn't you have been over at the
    keyboard typing in that URL? Wouldn't you have to be going to get the
    mouse at this point? Wouldn't it have been a lot easier just to hit
    enter? (or do you type with one hand?).
    > Having no GO button reduces my efficiency with wasted movement.

    If you are truly worried about wasted movement (and as a guitarist
    myself versed in the concept of economy of motion WRT playing the
    guilar) then you would have your hands at home row of the keyboard from
    typing in the URL that you are about to "go" to. The most economical
    finger movement at this point is to use your right pinky to hit the
    enter key.
    > I can only hope there is an add-on that will give it back. I've never
    > seen one, and I've never needed one, because the Go button was always
    > there. To me, it seems stupid to eliminate the Go button from the URL
    > bar. It's like removing the SEND button from your e-mail client.

    To which, again thinking economically about keyboard motion, I always
    type Control-Enter to send...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Smash forehead on keyboard to continue.....

  10. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Virtual Guy posted the following on 18-Jun-08 02:48:
    > Firefox 3 took away the Go button on the URL bar and there is no toolbar
    > customization to put one there. I am just about ready to go postal on
    > someone for taking my Go button. G*dD***it... why did they do that?!! It
    > wasn't hurting anyone. It was to f**king small to be in the way. It's
    > just a Go button, for God's sake. What idiot decided it wasn't useful? I
    > want to choke someone, preferably someone at Mozilla. Good God, man, I
    > need a Go button pill...

    I think Satan took it away :-)

    --
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0

  11. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:44:54 -0400, Virtual Guy wrote:

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> On 6/17/08 3:48 PM, _Virtual Guy_ spoke thusly:
    >>> Firefox 3 took away the Go button on the URL bar and there is no
    >>> toolbar customization to put one there.[...]

    >> The Go arrow will appear when the text in the Location bar is different
    >> from the page you are at.

    > Thanks for the clarification. I guess evolving from a Go button to a Go
    > arrow is considered progress. I like the new interface, and I guess I
    > will get used to the new arrow.

    If you want the Go arrow to always show, try the "Show Go!" extension:
    , or try manually
    adding it to userChrome.css per one of the comments, and to help:

    --
    Rom

    "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    news:vNadnX_DfPgbh8XVnZ2dnUVZ_tfinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Good Grief!
    > It's just a button. If you can't press enter, then download an extension
    > to put it back on the line. Sheesh!

    For people using Tablet PCs the lack of a Go button is a problem. But, as
    others have pointed out, an arrow with the same functionality appears in the
    address bar at times one would want a Go button, so we don't lose any
    functionality and we gain a bit of space.

  13. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Virtual Guy wrote:
    >
    >> No, it's not JUST a button. It's the friggin' GO button. It has been
    >> on Web browsers since the Web browser was invented.

    > its not on Opera, its not on Safari, and IE7 doesn't have one.

    But it is on IE6 - both arrow and 'Go' :-)

  14. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Don Nickell wrote:
    ,snip>

    > Of course I only had about 50 customers max and FF has
    > thousands...

    Er... millions ... at least 7,149,572

    according to this counter....
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

  15. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    kes wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Virtual Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>> No, it's not JUST a button. It's the friggin' GO button. It has been
    >>> on Web browsers since the Web browser was invented.

    >> its not on Opera, its not on Safari, and IE7 doesn't have one.
    >>

    > But it is on IE6 - both arrow and 'Go' :-)

    my mistake. I see it in IE7 now. You have to enter an
    address, and the refresh button changes to a go arrow. Boy,
    thats confusing

    But Opera and Safari are the same.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  16. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Virtual Guy wrote:
    >> I knew that would be the inevitable reply. Not everyone uses the a Web
    >> browser the same way you do?

    > Is that a question? Funny question if you ask me...
    >> I find the Go button to be far more efficient in many circumstances.

    > Let's get a little perspective here. "far more efficient"? We're talking
    > about the difference between grabbing your mouse, moving over to a
    > certain area of the screen and correctly clicking on a button as opposed
    > to simply hitting the return key. This is an operation that a 3 year old
    > can perform in a second or two. Are you that ****ing incompetent?!?
    > Geeze what people argue about sometimes....
    >> The way I use my browser, it is a must.

    > A must?!? Surely and demonstrably not! Is your finger that goddamned
    > arthritic that you cannot hit a return key? My god man how do you time
    > more than one paragraph?!? Do you have a return button too? A must my
    > ass! I desire - I'll but that - but a must - no way!
    >> I should NOT be forced to use the browser the way someone else thinks
    >> is best for me.

    > You have every right to not use the browser should you not want to. In
    > fact I'd say return that sucker for a full refund!
    >> I know what I want. I want a ****ing Go button on my address bar. It
    >> is a simple matter that makes a huge difference to me, and probably
    >> many others.

    > In your ****ing retarded mind perhaps. Look I understand people prefer a
    > button. Personally I think it's stupid but if you want one you sure
    > should have it and I bet there's at least an extension to do it. But
    > your bull**** about "far more efficient", "a must" and "I shouldn't be
    > forced to use carriage return" are stupid, weak arguments that kill your
    > credibility.

    You are a complete moron, dude. We're not talking about text editing.
    We're talking about a Web browser. Take your head out of your ass before
    you suffocate. There IS a go button in the FF 3 interface. It just
    doesn't look the same as it used to, and it's a few centimeters from
    where the old one was. The programmers designed a go button into the
    interface, but you think it's stupid? Hmmm... I thing it's pretty
    obvious where the stupidity is...

    I use both the keyboard and the mouse, whichever is the more appropriate
    for what I'm doing at the time. The fact is, there IS a go button, so
    the whole argument is moot. Go wank on your return key.

  17. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Virtual Guy wrote:
    >> No, it's not JUST a button. It's the friggin' GO button.

    > Which makes it just a button!
    >> It has been on Web browsers since the Web browser was invented.

    > So what!
    >> It serves a perfectly useful purpose, and when it's where it's
    >> supposed to be, I don't have lift my hand from the mouse, find the
    >> keyboard, then find the mouse again.

    > Why would you be hovering over the go button when you just clicked on
    > the address bar to enter the URL you wish to go to? Wouldn't you be in
    > the address bar with that mouse? Wouldn't you have been over at the
    > keyboard typing in that URL? Wouldn't you have to be going to get the
    > mouse at this point? Wouldn't it have been a lot easier just to hit
    > enter? (or do you type with one hand?).
    >> Having no GO button reduces my efficiency with wasted movement.

    > If you are truly worried about wasted movement (and as a guitarist
    > myself versed in the concept of economy of motion WRT playing the
    > guilar) then you would have your hands at home row of the keyboard from
    > typing in the URL that you are about to "go" to. The most economical
    > finger movement at this point is to use your right pinky to hit the
    > enter key.
    >> I can only hope there is an add-on that will give it back. I've never
    >> seen one, and I've never needed one, because the Go button was always
    >> there. To me, it seems stupid to eliminate the Go button from the URL
    >> bar. It's like removing the SEND button from your e-mail client.

    > To which, again thinking economically about keyboard motion, I always
    > type Control-Enter to send...

    You assume too much. I don't always type a URL. I usually cut and paste
    the URL. Try tabbing your way around the browser interface while
    highlighting, cutting and pasting successive URLs using only the
    keyboard. You'll be glad there is a Go button on the address bar. Get clue.

  18. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Virtual Guy skrev:
    > Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >> Virtual Guy wrote:
    >>> No, it's not JUST a button. It's the friggin' GO button.

    >> Which makes it just a button!
    >>> It has been on Web browsers since the Web browser was invented.

    >> So what!
    >>> It serves a perfectly useful purpose, and when it's where it's
    >>> supposed to be, I don't have lift my hand from the mouse, find the
    >>> keyboard, then find the mouse again.

    >> Why would you be hovering over the go button when you just clicked on
    >> the address bar to enter the URL you wish to go to? Wouldn't you be in
    >> the address bar with that mouse? Wouldn't you have been over at the
    >> keyboard typing in that URL? Wouldn't you have to be going to get the
    >> mouse at this point? Wouldn't it have been a lot easier just to hit
    >> enter? (or do you type with one hand?).
    >>> Having no GO button reduces my efficiency with wasted movement.

    >> If you are truly worried about wasted movement (and as a guitarist
    >> myself versed in the concept of economy of motion WRT playing the
    >> guilar) then you would have your hands at home row of the keyboard
    >> from typing in the URL that you are about to "go" to. The most
    >> economical finger movement at this point is to use your right pinky to
    >> hit the enter key.
    >>> I can only hope there is an add-on that will give it back. I've never
    >>> seen one, and I've never needed one, because the Go button was always
    >>> there. To me, it seems stupid to eliminate the Go button from the URL
    >>> bar. It's like removing the SEND button from your e-mail client.

    >> To which, again thinking economically about keyboard motion, I always
    >> type Control-Enter to send...

    > You assume too much. I don't always type a URL. I usually cut and paste
    > the URL. Try tabbing your way around the browser interface while
    > highlighting, cutting and pasting successive URLs using only the
    > keyboard. You'll be glad there is a Go button on the address bar. Get clue.

    Just wanted to mention: lots of people who have trouble controlling
    their movements for whatever reason (have to) use various kinds of
    pointing devices in order to control a computer.

    BR,
    Gudmund
    --
    01000100011001010111010000100000011010001110010001 11001000100000111001000111001000100000011000100110 00010111001001100001001000000110010101101110001000 00011011010110000101110011011100110110000100100000 01100101011101000111010001101111011100100010000001 10111101100011011010000010000001101110011011110110 110001101100011011110111001000100001

  19. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    G. R. Woodring wrote:
    > On 6/17/2008 4:44 PM, Virtual Guy wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> On 6/17/08 3:48 PM, _Virtual Guy_ spoke thusly:
    >>>
    >>> The Go arrow will appear when the text in the Location bar is
    >>> different from the page you are at.

    >> Thanks for the clarification. I guess evolving from a Go button to a
    >> Go arrow is considered progress. I like the new interface, and I guess
    >> I will get used to the new arrow.

    > I would guess that as more themes become available someone will make a
    > more impressive button. In the meantime you can go to my site and
    > upload a modified go arrow for Firefox 3.
    >

    > Replace the file with the same name in:
    >
    > C:\Program Files\firefox3\chrome\classic.jar (Your path may vary.)
    >
    > It can be opened in any program that can open .zip files. In some cases
    > you may need to temporarily rename the file to classic.zip, but usually
    > "Open with..." in the context menu will include your zip program.
    >
    > Just for the halibut I am going to attach the file to this post, but the
    > server may strip it :-(

    I like it. Thanks!!

  20. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    When Virtual Guy wrote:
    > Firefox 3 took away the Go button on the URL bar...

    Gordon declared:
    > Why do you need one? just hit return...

    And Ron Hunter chimed in:
    > Good Grief!
    > It's just a button. *If you can't press enter, then download an
    > extension to put it back on the line. *Sheesh!

    Not everyone uses a keyboard when browsing the Web, so it's not "just
    a button". I have a Tablet PC and often prefer browsing the web using
    my Toshy in tablet mode which eliminates access to the keyboard. So,
    yes, some people cannot use [enter] easily while browsing.

    (And, yes, I could configure one of the Tablet buttons to be [Enter]
    but have them configured for other necessary uses.)