Why are some words giving me ads? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Why are some words giving me ads? - Mozilla ; Hi, Whenever I visit various web pages, some words are underlined twice, and when you roll over them, you get ads: http://screencast.com/t/YLXJYBFaB4p I just installed and ran AdAware 2008 in hopes that this was spyware it could remove, but that ...

  1. Why are some words giving me ads?

    Hi,

    Whenever I visit various web pages, some words are underlined twice,
    and when you roll over them, you get ads:

    http://screencast.com/t/YLXJYBFaB4p

    I just installed and ran AdAware 2008 in hopes that this was spyware
    it could remove, but that didn't work. Does anyone know how I can
    remove these annoying ads?

    I'm using the latest version of Firefox on a PC.

    Thanks, - Dave

  2. Re: Why are some words giving me ads?

    laredotornado keyboarded, On 6/9/2008 5:27 PM :
    > Hi,
    >
    > Whenever I visit various web pages, some words are underlined twice,
    > and when you roll over them, you get ads:
    >
    > http://screencast.com/t/YLXJYBFaB4p
    >
    > I just installed and ran AdAware 2008 in hopes that this was spyware
    > it could remove, but that didn't work. Does anyone know how I can
    > remove these annoying ads?
    >
    > I'm using the latest version of Firefox on a PC.
    >
    > Thanks, - Dave

    Try turning off Javascript support.

    --
    Ron K.

  3. Re: Why are some words giving me ads?

    "Ron K." wrote in message news:Xd6dnWgacIuRNNDVnZ2dnUVZ_hWdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > laredotornado keyboarded, On 6/9/2008 5:27 PM :
    >> Whenever I visit various web pages, some words are underlined twice,
    >> and when you roll over them, you get ads:
    >> http://screencast.com/t/YLXJYBFaB4p
    >>
    >> I just installed and ran AdAware 2008 in hopes that this was spyware
    >> it could remove, but that didn't work. Does anyone know how I can
    >> remove these annoying ads?

    > Try turning off Javascript support.

    Turning off JavaScript is too severe, you can pick at sites that you
    visit and modify Adblock (or Adblock Plus) to eliminated specific
    ..JS files involved. The easiest and quickest way is probably to
    to install "Stylish" extension and then install "Hide annoying IntelliText ads" script
    http://userstyles.org/stylish/help
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2108
    http://userstyles.org/styles/80

    For your own HTML you can use

    Google AdSense will honor the above, which was the method to suppress
    Microsoft's Smart Tags which was unpopular and shortlived, and Google
    will probably continue to honor it, under the guise of offering a choice.

    --
    HTH,