FF3: Accessing Unsorted Bookmarks - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF3: Accessing Unsorted Bookmarks - Mozilla ; FF3 has a nice feature that allows one to leave a new bookmark "unsorted" -- but not just pile up in an endless list at the bottom of the bookmarks. However, I *cannot* find how to access them. I do ...

  1. FF3: Accessing Unsorted Bookmarks

    FF3 has a nice feature that allows one to leave a new bookmark
    "unsorted" -- but not just pile up in an endless list at the bottom of
    the bookmarks.

    However, I *cannot* find how to access them. I do see that the last
    10 bookmarks are kept in a "Recent Bookmarks" folder, but what if one
    has more than 10 unsorted bookmarks -- or the unsorted ones were not the
    last ones bookmarked?

    David

  2. Re: FF3: Accessing Unsorted Bookmarks

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 22:23:26 -0400, DJAckerman wrote:

    > FF3 has a nice feature that allows one to leave a new bookmark
    > "unsorted" -- but not just pile up in an endless list at the bottom of
    > the bookmarks.
    >
    > However, I *cannot* find how to access them. I do see that the last
    > 10 bookmarks are kept in a "Recent Bookmarks" folder, but what if one
    > has more than 10 unsorted bookmarks -- or the unsorted ones were not the
    > last ones bookmarked?

    For "Unsorted Bookmarks" try:
    View > Sidebar > Bookmarks, to open bookmarks in the sidebar.

    View > Toolbars > Customize, to place the "Display your bookmarks"
    button on a toolbar or at the RHS of the Bookmarks Toolbar.

    Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks, to open the Library.

    The experimental "Unsorted Bookmarks Folder Menu" extension
    , to add it to
    the Bookmarks menu.

    --
    Rom

  3. Re: FF3: Accessing Unsorted Bookmarks

    "DJAckerman" wrote in message news:3MGdnTUGYreCCdHVnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > FF3 has a nice feature that allows one to leave a new bookmark
    > "unsorted" -- but not just pile up in an endless list at the bottom of
    > the bookmarks.
    >
    > However, I *cannot* find how to access them. I do see that the last
    > 10 bookmarks are kept in a "Recent Bookmarks" folder, but what if one
    > has more than 10 unsorted bookmarks -- or the unsorted ones were not the
    > last ones bookmarked?

    Hi David A.,
    The only difference between Fx3 and what you had before is that in Fx3
    the uncategorized bookmarks are in the "Unfiled" folder instead of
    at the bottom. Actually they might not necessarily have been at the
    bottom depends on how you sort your bookmarks.

    Bookmarks menu,. Organize Bookmarks, and the structure is
    History
    Tags
    All Bookmarks
    Bookmarks Toolbar
    Bookmarks Menu
    Unfiled Bookmarks <===

    In Firefox version 2 you had
    Bookmarks menu, Organize Bookmarks
    Bookmarks (one of the folders within was "Personal Toolbar Folder", and if you sorted bookmarks
    with folders first then your uncategorized bookmarks were at the bottom)

    Fx3 introduced Places, and bookmarks are no longer used from
    bookmarks.html but from bookmarks.sqlite database.

    More information on Bookmarks
    Bookmarks in Firefox http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/bookmarks.htm
    Places -- bookmark tags http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/places.htm
    Firefox Keyword Shortcuts http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm

    --
    HTH,

  4. Re: FF3: Accessing Unsorted Bookmarks

    Rom wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 22:23:26 -0400, DJAckerman wrote:
    >
    >> FF3 has a nice feature that allows one to leave a new bookmark
    >> "unsorted" -- but not just pile up in an endless list at the bottom of
    >> the bookmarks.
    >>
    >> However, I *cannot* find how to access them. I do see that the last
    >> 10 bookmarks are kept in a "Recent Bookmarks" folder, but what if one
    >> has more than 10 unsorted bookmarks -- or the unsorted ones were not the
    >> last ones bookmarked?

    > For "Unsorted Bookmarks" try:
    > View > Sidebar > Bookmarks, to open bookmarks in the sidebar.
    >
    > View > Toolbars > Customize, to place the "Display your bookmarks"
    > button on a toolbar or at the RHS of the Bookmarks Toolbar.
    >
    > Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks, to open the Library.
    >
    > The experimental "Unsorted Bookmarks Folder Menu" extension
    > , to add it to
    > the Bookmarks menu.

    Thank you for your helpful response. I do see "Unsorted Bookmarks"
    in each of the views you have described. *But*, surprisingly, the
    "Unsorted Bookmarks" folder does *not* appear if one uses "Bookmarks" on
    the Menu Bar (with File, Edit, etc.) I've used the menu bar to access
    bookmarks in the past and its view of the bookmarks has always been the
    same as the alternate ways to view the bookmarks.

    Is this difference in FF3 a bug or a feature?

    David

  5. Re: FF3: Accessing Unsorted Bookmarks

    DJAckerman wrote:
    > Rom wrote:
    >> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 22:23:26 -0400, DJAckerman wrote:
    >>
    >>> FF3 has a nice feature that allows one to leave a new bookmark
    >>> "unsorted" -- but not just pile up in an endless list at the bottom
    >>> of the bookmarks.
    >>>
    >>> However, I *cannot* find how to access them. I do see that the
    >>> last 10 bookmarks are kept in a "Recent Bookmarks" folder, but what
    >>> if one has more than 10 unsorted bookmarks -- or the unsorted ones
    >>> were not the last ones bookmarked?

    >> For "Unsorted Bookmarks" try:
    >> View > Sidebar > Bookmarks, to open bookmarks in the sidebar.
    >>
    >> View > Toolbars > Customize, to place the "Display your bookmarks"
    >> button on a toolbar or at the RHS of the Bookmarks Toolbar.
    >>
    >> Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks, to open the Library.
    >>
    >> The experimental "Unsorted Bookmarks Folder Menu" extension
    >> , to add it to
    >> the Bookmarks menu.
    >>

    > Thank you for your helpful response. I do see "Unsorted Bookmarks" in
    > each of the views you have described. *But*, surprisingly, the
    > "Unsorted Bookmarks" folder does *not* appear if one uses "Bookmarks" on
    > the Menu Bar (with File, Edit, etc.) I've used the menu bar to access
    > bookmarks in the past and its view of the bookmarks has always been the
    > same as the alternate ways to view the bookmarks.
    >
    > Is this difference in FF3 a bug or a feature?
    >
    > David

    Well, I made a discovery just now: I went to Organize Bookmarks
    (where the "Unsorted Bookmarks" folder showed at the bottom) and I moved
    (dragged) it up to the top. Now when I use Bookmarks from the Menu Bar,
    that folder shows properly.

    I guess it was "hidden" in the menu view, at least on my computer.

    David

  6. Re: FF3: Accessing Unsorted Bookmarks

    On 09.06.2008 13:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    > "DJAckerman" wrote in message news:3MGdnTUGYreCCdHVnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >
    >> FF3 has a nice feature that allows one to leave a new bookmark
    >> "unsorted" -- but not just pile up in an endless list at the bottom of
    >> the bookmarks.
    >>
    >> However, I *cannot* find how to access them. I do see that the last
    >> 10 bookmarks are kept in a "Recent Bookmarks" folder, but what if one
    >> has more than 10 unsorted bookmarks -- or the unsorted ones were not the
    >> last ones bookmarked?
    >>

    > Hi David A.,
    > The only difference between Fx3 and what you had before is that in Fx3
    > the uncategorized bookmarks are in the "Unfiled" folder instead of
    > at the bottom. Actually they might not necessarily have been at the
    > bottom depends on how you sort your bookmarks.
    >
    > Bookmarks menu,. Organize Bookmarks, and the structure is
    > History
    > Tags
    > All Bookmarks
    > Bookmarks Toolbar
    > Bookmarks Menu
    > Unfiled Bookmarks <===
    >
    > In Firefox version 2 you had
    > Bookmarks menu, Organize Bookmarks
    > Bookmarks (one of the folders within was "Personal Toolbar Folder", and if you sorted bookmarks
    > with folders first then your uncategorized bookmarks were at the bottom)
    >

    > Fx3 introduced Places, and bookmarks are no longer used from
    > bookmarks.html but from bookmarks.sqlite database.

    well, David McR. that sure makes programming sense, doesn't it??

    We don't call them Bookmarks - they are Places
    BUT
    we store them in the Bookmarks.sqlite file...
    ..... and call it "backwards compatible" or what??

    Yep, the devs *KNOW* what the user wants!

    reg

    << snipped >>

  7. Re: FF3: Accessing Unsorted Bookmarks

    "squaredancer" wrote in message news:sOmdnb1S5pLHCtDVnZ2dnUVZ_sHinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 09.06.2008 13:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    > McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    >> "DJAckerman" wrote in message news:3MGdnTUGYreCCdHVnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>
    >>> FF3 has a nice feature that allows one to leave a new bookmark
    >>> "unsorted" -- but not just pile up in an endless list at the bottom of
    >>> the bookmarks.
    >>>
    >>> However, I *cannot* find how to access them. I do see that the last
    >>> 10 bookmarks are kept in a "Recent Bookmarks" folder, but what if one
    >>> has more than 10 unsorted bookmarks -- or the unsorted ones were not the
    >>> last ones bookmarked?
    >>>

    >> Hi David A.,
    >> The only difference between Fx3 and what you had before is that in Fx3
    >> the uncategorized bookmarks are in the "Unfiled" folder instead of
    >> at the bottom. Actually they might not necessarily have been at the
    >> bottom depends on how you sort your bookmarks.
    >>
    >> Bookmarks menu,. Organize Bookmarks, and the structure is
    >> History
    >> Tags
    >> All Bookmarks
    >> Bookmarks Toolbar
    >> Bookmarks Menu
    >> Unfiled Bookmarks <===
    >>
    >> In Firefox version 2 you had
    >> Bookmarks menu, Organize Bookmarks
    >> Bookmarks (one of the folders within was "Personal Toolbar Folder", and if you sorted bookmarks
    >> with folders first then your uncategorized bookmarks were at the bottom)
    >>

    >> Fx3 introduced Places, and bookmarks are no longer used from
    >> bookmarks.html but from bookmarks.sqlite database.
    >>

    > well, David McR. that sure makes programming sense, doesn't it??
    >
    > We don't call them Bookmarks - they are Places
    > BUT
    > we store them in the Bookmarks.sqlite file...
    > .... and call it "backwards compatible" or what??
    >
    > Yep, the devs *KNOW* what the user wants!

    My mistake the bookmarks are in places.sqlite (not bookmarks.sqlite)

    Well "Favorites" (in Internet Explorer) wasn't a good name for bookmarks either,
    but then directory entries certainly didn't make good bookmarks (very high overhead
    in disk space), when it really was at a premium. Each bookmark required a directory
    entry so that was actually on disk 2K or 4K per bookmark and tremendous overhead
    for bookmarks, desktop shortcuts, and quick launch (in Windows).

    Some of the files
    places.sqlite for me is 8,632 KB last modified 2008-06-09
    bookmarks-2008-06-08.json is 782 KB in bookmarkbackups (DB text file)
    bookmarks.postplaces.html 1,996 KB last modified 2008-03-14
    bookmarks.html 1,673 KB last modified 2008-05-10
    looks like bookmarks.postplaces.html is no longer current to the last time
    Firefox was started, and bookmarks.html is supposed to be untouched,
    I may have inadvertently used wrong profile at some point for Fx2, or
    one of the other Fx3 betas.

+ Reply to Thread