Address books, but not lists - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Address books, but not lists - Mozilla ; TB2.0.0.14 the AB sidebar lists address books. However, lists contained therein are only named and the names inside are not listed. How can one go about selecting only some of the names in a particular list? My temporary solution for ...

  1. Address books, but not lists

    TB2.0.0.14 the AB sidebar lists address books. However, lists contained
    therein are only named and the names inside are not listed. How can one
    go about selecting only some of the names in a particular list?

    My temporary solution for 2 years has been to make all of lists as
    separate AB's, but the problem there is that when the PAB is changed it
    does not apply to other AB's.

    Miles

  2. Re: Address books, but not lists

    On 6/8/2008 4:25 PM, Miles wrote:
    > TB2.0.0.14 the AB sidebar lists address books. However, lists contained
    > therein are only named and the names inside are not listed. How can one
    > go about selecting only some of the names in a particular list?
    >
    > My temporary solution for 2 years has been to make all of lists as
    > separate AB's, but the problem there is that when the PAB is changed it
    > does not apply to other AB's.
    >
    > Miles

    If you use the Address Book (as opposed to the "Contacts" list) you can
    click on the list in the left pane, select the entries you want in the
    right pane, and then click on write. Unfortunately, I see no way to
    specify CC or BCC.

    Alternatively, you can use the Contacts select the whole list, specify
    "To, CC. or BCC", and "send later". You can then edit the list in the
    message.

    --
    Irwin

  3. Re: Address books, but not lists

    * Irwin Greenwald wrote, On 6/8/2008 17:31:

    > On 6/8/2008 4:25 PM, Miles wrote:
    >> TB2.0.0.14 the AB sidebar lists address books. However, lists
    >> contained therein are only named and the names inside are not listed.
    >> How can one go about selecting only some of the names in a particular
    >> list?
    >>
    >> My temporary solution for 2 years has been to make all of lists as
    >> separate AB's, but the problem there is that when the PAB is changed
    >> it does not apply to other AB's.
    >>
    >> Miles

    > If you use the Address Book (as opposed to the "Contacts" list) you can
    > click on the list in the left pane, select the entries you want in the
    > right pane, and then click on write. Unfortunately, I see no way to
    > specify CC or BCC.
    >
    > Alternatively, you can use the Contacts select the whole list, specify
    > "To, CC. or BCC", and "send later". You can then edit the list in the
    > message.

    Thanks, Irwin, the send later is what I've been using (as opposed to
    running through the entire PAB), but it is a bit laborious. And to go
    back and change each one kept to bcc under your first method would be
    equally laborious. Was hoping there was a method or perhaps one in the
    works for TB3?
    Miles

  4. Re: Address books, but not lists

    On 6/8/2008 6:40 PM, Miles wrote:
    > * Irwin Greenwald wrote, On 6/8/2008 17:31:
    >>
    >> On 6/8/2008 4:25 PM, Miles wrote:
    >>> TB2.0.0.14 the AB sidebar lists address books. However, lists
    >>> contained therein are only named and the names inside are not
    >>> listed. How can one go about selecting only some of the names in a
    >>> particular list?
    >>>
    >>> My temporary solution for 2 years has been to make all of lists as
    >>> separate AB's, but the problem there is that when the PAB is changed
    >>> it does not apply to other AB's.
    >>>
    >>> Miles

    >> If you use the Address Book (as opposed to the "Contacts" list) you
    >> can click on the list in the left pane, select the entries you want
    >> in the right pane, and then click on write. Unfortunately, I see no
    >> way to specify CC or BCC.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, you can use the Contacts select the whole list, specify
    >> "To, CC. or BCC", and "send later". You can then edit the list in the
    >> message.
    >>

    > Thanks, Irwin, the send later is what I've been using (as opposed to
    > running through the entire PAB), but it is a bit laborious. And to go
    > back and change each one kept to bcc under your first method would be
    > equally laborious. Was hoping there was a method or perhaps one in the
    > works for TB3?
    > Miles

    Well, one of the goals of TB3
    http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Thunderbird3
    is "Improved address book usability". But I have no idea what that means!

    --
    Irwin

  5. Re: Address books, but not lists

    * Irwin Greenwald wrote, On 6/8/2008 20:44:

    > On 6/8/2008 6:40 PM, Miles wrote:
    >> * Irwin Greenwald wrote, On 6/8/2008 17:31:

    >>> If you use the Address Book (as opposed to the "Contacts" list) you
    >>> can click on the list in the left pane, select the entries you want
    >>> in the right pane, and then click on write. Unfortunately, I see no
    >>> way to specify CC or BCC.
    >>>
    >>> Alternatively, you can use the Contacts select the whole list,
    >>> specify "To, CC. or BCC", and "send later". You can then edit the
    >>> list in the message.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, Irwin, the send later is what I've been using (as opposed to
    >> running through the entire PAB), but it is a bit laborious. And to go
    >> back and change each one kept to bcc under your first method would be
    >> equally laborious. Was hoping there was a method or perhaps one in
    >> the works for TB3?
    >> Miles

    > Well, one of the goals of TB3
    > http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Thunderbird3
    > is "Improved address book usability". But I have no idea what that means!

    And we all know it needs a lot of help!

  6. Re: Address books, but not lists

    On Jun 9, 2:31 am, Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 6/8/2008 4:25 PM, Miles wrote:
    >
    > > TB2.0.0.14 the AB sidebar lists address books. However, lists contained
    > > therein are only named and the names inside are not listed. How can one
    > > go about selecting only some of the names in a particular list?

    > > My temporary solution for 2 years has been to make all of lists as
    > > separate AB's, but the problem there is that when the PAB is changed it
    > > does not apply to other AB's.

    > > Miles

    > If you use the Address Book (as opposed to the "Contacts" list) you can
    > click on the list in the left pane, select the entries you want in the
    > right pane, and then click on write. Unfortunately, I see no way to
    > specify CC or BCC.

    I have just tried:
    Once you have clicked on "write" the Compose window opens, with all
    the addresses you have selected from the list.
    On the left of the "To" box is an arrow pointing downwards. Click on
    it, a dropdown list appears with "To", "cc". "bcc" and other options
    allows you change the "To" to one of the listed options.
    Or did I misunderstand your need?

    > Alternatively, you can use the Contacts select the whole list, specify
    > "To, CC. or BCC", and "send later". You can then edit the list in the
    > message.
    >
    > --
    > Irwin
    >
    > Please do not use my email address to make requests for help.
    > Knowledge Base:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page

  7. Re: Address books, but not lists

    * Chris wrote, On 6/9/2008 01:41:
    > On Jun 9, 2:31 am, Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> On 6/8/2008 4:25 PM, Miles wrote:
    >>
    >>> TB2.0.0.14 the AB sidebar lists address books. However, lists contained
    >>> therein are only named and the names inside are not listed. How can one
    >>> go about selecting only some of the names in a particular list?
    >>> My temporary solution for 2 years has been to make all of lists as
    >>> separate AB's, but the problem there is that when the PAB is changed it
    >>> does not apply to other AB's.
    >>> Miles

    >> If you use the Address Book (as opposed to the "Contacts" list) you can
    >> click on the list in the left pane, select the entries you want in the
    >> right pane, and then click on write. Unfortunately, I see no way to
    >> specify CC or BCC.
    >>

    > I have just tried:
    > Once you have clicked on "write" the Compose window opens, with all
    > the addresses you have selected from the list.
    > On the left of the "To" box is an arrow pointing downwards. Click on
    > it, a dropdown list appears with "To", "cc". "bcc" and other options
    > allows you change the "To" to one of the listed options.
    > Or did I misunderstand your need?
    >

    >> Alternatively, you can use the Contacts select the whole list, specify
    >> "To, CC. or BCC", and "send later". You can then edit the list in the
    >> message.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Irwin
    >>
    >> Please do not use my email address to make requests for help.
    >> Knowledge Base:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page

    That's one of the problems --
    1) First must hunt through a long list and pick out the addresses wanted
    from the PAB, or select an entire list.
    2) Then need to delete many and change each of the remaining
    individually to, say, bcc.
    Miles

+ Reply to Thread