yimg.com - Mozilla

This is a discussion on yimg.com - Mozilla ; is it an advertising site? -- @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you! /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.5 ^ ^ 14:07:01 up 37 min 1 user ...

  1. yimg.com

    is it an advertising site?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.5

  2. Re: yimg.com

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) posted the following on 07-Jun-08 13:08:

    > is it an advertising site?

    is it?

    --

    Windows XP SP3
    Firefox 3.0 RC2

  3. Re: yimg.com

    Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) posted the following on 07-Jun-08 13:08:
    >>
    >> is it an advertising site?
    >>

    > is it?

    All that is on the one page (http://yimg.com) is

    its a blank page of course

    http://www.yimg.com give me a DNS search page

  4. Re: yimg.com

    In ,
    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:

    > is it an advertising site?

    Start with

    $ whois example.com

    --
    »Q«
    Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

  5. Re: yimg.com

    "»Q«" wrote in message news:20080608004635.654342df@prezmyra.remarqs.net. ..
    > In ,
    > "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:
    >
    >> is it an advertising site?

    > Start with
    >
    > $ whois example.com

    http://www.internic.net/whois.html
    http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whoi...om&type=domain

    "yimg.com" is used by Yahoo (yahoo.com) to serve advertisements.
    In the US se might see such urls as
    http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/I...rt_2000507.png
    http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.co...00805201310.js
    which can be blocked by extensions such as "Adblock Plus" or "Adblock"
    extensions and with appropriate filters. For instance the above would
    be blocked with a filter with http://us.js2.yimg.com/
    --
    HTH,

  6. Re: yimg.com

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "»Q«" wrote in message
    > news:20080608004635.654342df@prezmyra.remarqs.net. ..
    >> In ,
    >> "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:
    >>
    >>> is it an advertising site?

    >> Start with
    >>
    >> $ whois example.com

    > http://www.internic.net/whois.html
    > http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whoi...om&type=domain
    >
    > "yimg.com" is used by Yahoo (yahoo.com) to serve advertisements.
    > In the US se might see such urls as
    > http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/I...rt_2000507.png
    > http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.co...00805201310.js
    > which can be blocked by extensions such as "Adblock Plus" or "Adblock"
    > extensions and with appropriate filters. For instance the above would
    > be blocked with a filter with http://us.js2.yimg.com/

    Adblock filterset G includes yimg.com in its list and Yahoo mail still
    works. If you block yimg.com with adblock (with a different filter to
    abfsG) or noscript, you cannot use the "new" interface with yahoo mail.

  7. Re: yimg.com

    "David McRitchie" wrote in message
    news:k_mdnexvkIfHONbVnZ2dnUVZ_t3inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > "»Q«" wrote in message
    > news:20080608004635.654342df@prezmyra.remarqs.net. ..
    >> In ,
    >> "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:
    >>
    >>> is it an advertising site?

    >> Start with

    Why waste all this intellectual energy on this oleagenous sino-spammer
    wannabe? Just threaten him with sudden violence and excruciating
    torture, and be done with him!

  8. Re: yimg.com

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > http://www.internic.net/whois.html
    > http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whoi...om&type=domain
    >
    > "yimg.com" is used by Yahoo (yahoo.com) to serve advertisements.
    > In the US se might see such urls as
    > http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/I...rt_2000507.png
    > http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.co...00805201310.js
    > which can be blocked by extensions such as "Adblock Plus" or "Adblock"
    > extensions and with appropriate filters. For instance the above would
    > be blocked with a filter with http://us.js2.yimg.com/

    yimg.com is used by Yahoo! to serve static files, including
    advertisements. Some subdomains and directories are ad-only, so they can
    be safely blocked, but not the whole thing.

    For example, is Yahoo's logo used
    on the homepage, but

    is an ad.
    --

  9. Re: yimg.com

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > David McRitchie wrote:
    >> http://www.internic.net/whois.html
    >> http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whoi...om&type=domain
    >>
    >> "yimg.com" is used by Yahoo (yahoo.com) to serve advertisements.
    >> In the US se might see such urls as
    >> http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/I...rt_2000507.png
    >> http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.co...00805201310.js
    >> which can be blocked by extensions such as "Adblock Plus" or "Adblock"
    >> extensions and with appropriate filters. For instance the above would
    >> be blocked with a filter with http://us.js2.yimg.com/

    > yimg.com is used by Yahoo! to serve static files, including
    > advertisements. Some subdomains and directories are ad-only, so they can
    > be safely blocked, but not the whole thing.
    >
    > For example, is Yahoo's logo used
    > on the homepage, but
    >
    > is an ad.

    As collateral damage goes, I'd say the logo is pretty insignificant; I
    don't think I'd miss it if an aggressive ad filter blocked it.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

+ Reply to Thread