10 must have extensions - Mozilla

This is a discussion on 10 must have extensions - Mozilla ; Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions? any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead of downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure the extensions do not introduce any bugs? -- Windows XP ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

  1. 10 must have extensions

    --

    Windows XP SP3
    Thunderbird version 2.0.0.14 (with 27 extensions)

  2. Re: 10 must have extensions

    The date and time was 6/6/2008 7:35 AM, and on a whim, Sul@Mozilla
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >
    > any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead of
    > downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure the
    > extensions do not introduce any bugs?

    My vote would be to leave the basic client as lean as possible. Let a
    user decide what they deem necessary or not. What you like may not
    appeal to another, so why put features in place that may never be used.

    --
    Terry R.

  3. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Terry R. posted the following on 06-Jun-08 21:50:
    > The date and time was 6/6/2008 7:35 AM, and on a whim, Sul@Mozilla
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >>
    >> any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead
    >> of downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure
    >> the extensions do not introduce any bugs?
    >>

    > My vote would be to leave the basic client as lean as possible. Let a
    > user decide what they deem necessary or not. What you like may not
    > appeal to another, so why put features in place that may never be used.

    that may be true
    out of the 28 extensions that I have, not all will appeal to all users;
    but there are a number of them which every user would want;
    the average user would not go through the all list of extensions available;

    the ones that I think most users would use could include the following;

    1. Attachment extractor
    2. Extension List Dumper
    3. Mail Tweak
    4. QuickText
    5. Webmail (plus the rest depending on the provider)

    --

    Windows XP SP3

    Posting from Mozilla server

  4. Re: 10 must have extensions

    The date and time was 6/6/2008 8:42 AM, and on a whim, Sul@Mozilla
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. posted the following on 06-Jun-08 21:50:
    >> The date and time was 6/6/2008 7:35 AM, and on a whim, Sul@Mozilla
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >>>
    >>> any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead
    >>> of downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure
    >>> the extensions do not introduce any bugs?
    >>>

    >> My vote would be to leave the basic client as lean as possible. Let a
    >> user decide what they deem necessary or not. What you like may not
    >> appeal to another, so why put features in place that may never be used.
    >>

    > that may be true
    > out of the 28 extensions that I have, not all will appeal to all users;
    > but there are a number of them which every user would want;
    > the average user would not go through the all list of extensions available;
    >
    > the ones that I think most users would use could include the following;
    >
    > 1. Attachment extractor
    > 2. Extension List Dumper
    > 3. Mail Tweak
    > 4. QuickText
    > 5. Webmail (plus the rest depending on the provider)

    EVERY user? I doubt it. I've installed TB on dozens of clients and
    friends computers. I don't think any of them have added anything other
    than possibly a theme (I don't monitor this continuously, but I see the
    computers pretty frequently).

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: 10 must have extensions

    On 06/06/2008 16:42, Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > Terry R. posted the following on 06-Jun-08 21:50:
    >> The date and time was 6/6/2008 7:35 AM, and on a whim, Sul@Mozilla
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >>>
    >>> any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird
    >>> instead of downloading those we require? or more testing is require
    >>> to ensure the extensions do not introduce any bugs?
    >>>

    >> My vote would be to leave the basic client as lean as possible. Let a
    >> user decide what they deem necessary or not. What you like may not
    >> appeal to another, so why put features in place that may never be used.
    >>

    > that may be true
    > out of the 28 extensions that I have, not all will appeal to all users;
    > but there are a number of them which every user would want;
    > the average user would not go through the all list of extensions available;
    >
    > the ones that I think most users would use could include the following;
    >
    > 1. Attachment extractor
    > 2. Extension List Dumper
    > 3. Mail Tweak
    > 4. QuickText
    > 5. Webmail (plus the rest depending on the provider)

    I have none of those even though I have 18 Add-ons installed.

    --
    wtwjgc (Joe)

  6. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >
    > any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead of
    > downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure the
    > extensions do not introduce any bugs?

    Incorporating them would be a bad idea.

    One of the BEST parts of TB is that it can be customized to each
    person's preferences. If an extension was built into the program, it
    would be "you can have your model T in any color you want so long as you
    want black".

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  7. Re: 10 must have extensions

    On 6/6/2008 10:35 AM eastern, Sul@Mozilla wrote:

    > Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?

    A few I like (in alphabetical order):

    - AboutConfig
    - Lightning
    - Mnenhy
    - MouseZoom
    - Quote Colors

    CTinCT

  8. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Chris Barnes wrote:
    > Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    >> Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >>
    >> any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird
    >> instead of downloading those we require? or more testing is require
    >> to ensure the extensions do not introduce any bugs?

    > Incorporating them would be a bad idea.
    >
    > One of the BEST parts of TB is that it can be customized to each
    > person's preferences. If an extension was built into the program, it
    > would be "you can have your model T in any color you want so long as
    > you want black".

    Perhaps a better idea would be to *offer* them as part of the
    installation process...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Earth First! We'll strip mine the other planets later.

  9. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 6/6/2008 7:35 AM, and on a whim, Sul@Mozilla
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >>
    >> any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead
    >> of downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure
    >> the extensions do not introduce any bugs?
    >>

    > My vote would be to leave the basic client as lean as possible. Let a
    > user decide what they deem necessary or not. What you like may not
    > appeal to another, so why put features in place that may never be used.

    Absolutely!

    --

    Al
    http://www.sunrisedoors.com

  10. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Chris Barnes wrote:
    >> Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    >>> Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >>>
    >>> any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird
    >>> instead of downloading those we require? or more testing is require
    >>> to ensure the extensions do not introduce any bugs?

    >> Incorporating them would be a bad idea.
    >>
    >> One of the BEST parts of TB is that it can be customized to each
    >> person's preferences. If an extension was built into the program, it
    >> would be "you can have your model T in any color you want so long as
    >> you want black".

    > Perhaps a better idea would be to *offer* them as part of the
    > installation process...

    I think there is some value in the idea of "official" extensions that
    have gone through a certification process with a major new release and
    are included in the product validation testing.

    How often have I seen problems here like "why doesn't my favourite
    extension work with the new release"? Not to mention extensions that
    conflict with each other.

    But I would expect this to be a reasonable (i.e. small) number which
    each provide a good degree of extra functionality to a large group of
    users. Not hundreds with marginal, overlapping or conflicting additions
    to product functionality, or of interest to a very small number of people.

    Has anything like this been proposed before?

    MC

  11. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Mighty Chaffinch keyboarded, On 6/6/2008 12:19 PM :
    > Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >> Chris Barnes wrote:

    >>> Incorporating them would be a bad idea.
    >>>
    >>> One of the BEST parts of TB is that it can be customized to each
    >>> person's preferences. If an extension was built into the program,
    >>> it would be "you can have your model T in any color you want so long
    >>> as you want black".

    >> Perhaps a better idea would be to *offer* them as part of the
    >> installation process...

    > I think there is some value in the idea of "official" extensions that
    > have gone through a certification process with a major new release and
    > are included in the product validation testing.
    >
    > How often have I seen problems here like "why doesn't my favourite
    > extension work with the new release"? Not to mention extensions that
    > conflict with each other.
    >
    > But I would expect this to be a reasonable (i.e. small) number which
    > each provide a good degree of extra functionality to a large group of
    > users. Not hundreds with marginal, overlapping or conflicting
    > additions to product functionality, or of interest to a very small
    > number of people.
    >
    > Has anything like this been proposed before?
    >
    > MC

    Extensions are created by independent authors, many of whom refuse to
    begin updating there projects until after a new final release is
    "Official" and in public distribution. That means some authors will not
    support trunk builds or the occasional Alpha/Beta stable preview releases.

    Whan an author submits an Add-on to the Mozilla Add-on site, they do go
    into a sandbox for testing. While Thunderbird has 370+ extensions
    available at AMO, Firefox has a few thousand. Thats too many to expect
    conflict analysis to see if there are poor pairings. Much of the AMO
    testing is for flaws such as missing digital signatures or incorrect
    installer scripts to name two.

    Policy is to not bundle extensions. Rather, the AMO site is trying to
    show the top 5 of each catagory, mostly based on Users voting. For the
    recent rework of the AMO site the Mozilla Messaging Staff did seed AMO
    with some suggestions to get the feature running.

    --
    Ron K.

  12. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Sul@Mozilla keyboarded, On 6/6/2008 10:35 AM :
    > Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >
    > any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead
    > of downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure
    > the extensions do not introduce any bugs?

    Generated: Fri Jun 06 2008 15:03:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14)
    Gecko/20080421 Thunderbird/2.0.0.14
    Enabled Extensions:
    - addressContext 0.8.1
    - ConfigDate 0.5
    - Duplicate Contact Manager 0.6
    - Exit Button Thunderbird 0.5
    - Folderpane Tools 0.0.5.1
    - forwardas 0.1.2
    - Mail Tweak 0.16
    - MIME Edit 0.60
    - MoreFunctionsForAddressBook 0.5.1.1
    - MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.6
    - NewsWorthy for Thunderbird 1.5 0.2.0.4
    - PrintingTools 0.2.4
    - Unselect Message 1.3
    - View Headers Toggle Button 2.0.1

    I shortened my list of 22 to the few that I have to have to get a new
    install tweaked and those that effect daily use of Tbird. Some are tools
    that provide a UI for hidden preferences.

    --
    Ron K.

  13. Re: 10 must have extensions

    On 06.06.2008 10:48, Terry R. wrote:

    >> Terry R. posted the following on 06-Jun-08 21:50:
    >>> The date and time was 6/6/2008 7:35 AM, and on a whim, Sul@Mozilla
    >>> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> My vote would be to leave the basic client as lean as possible. Let a
    >>> user decide what they deem necessary or not. What you like may not
    >>> appeal to another, so why put features in place that may never be used.
    >>>

    >> that may be true
    >> out of the 28 extensions that I have, not all will appeal to all users;
    >> but there are a number of them which every user would want;
    >> the average user would not go through the all list of extensions available;
    >>
    >> the ones that I think most users would use could include the following;
    >>
    >> 1. Attachment extractor
    >> 2. Extension List Dumper
    >> 3. Mail Tweak
    >> 4. QuickText
    >> 5. Webmail (plus the rest depending on the provider)
    >>

    > EVERY user? I doubt it. I've installed TB on dozens of clients and
    > friends computers. I don't think any of them have added anything other
    > than possibly a theme (I don't monitor this continuously, but I see the
    > computers pretty frequently).

    Same here but I DO like MoreButtons-Plus which adds convenience to
    dealing with trash/compacting, etc. and html/images display, etc.
    amongst a few other niceties, 'bout it, all I have.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  14. Re: 10 must have extensions

    On 6/6/2008 10:35 AM, Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >
    > any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead
    > of downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure
    > the extensions do not introduce any bugs?

    I use Unselect Message 1.3, It needs to be modified to work as it hasn't been
    updated by the author since 1.5.0.X. I have it working in both 2.0 and 3.0a. I
    believe the options provided by Unselect Message would not add much bloat and
    would be welcomed by many.

    I also use Mnenhy 0.7.5.666 but only the folder storage component. I think many
    would welcome the feature but AIUI un-inheriting folder options increases memory
    use and slows loading times somewhat. It's probably best left as an extension
    so users can _choose_ whether to accept the trade offs.

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  15. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >
    > any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead
    > of downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure
    > the extensions do not introduce any bugs?

    What may be essential to one is useless bloat to another. That's why
    the extension system is such a boon to those who don't need countless
    useless features taking up their space, cpu cycles, and disk space. I
    only have 8 installed, and some of them are never used. I suspect that
    4 or 5 would do just fine.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  16. Re: 10 must have extensions

    The date and time was 6/6/2008 12:57 PM, and on a whim, Jay Garcia
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > On 06.06.2008 10:48, Terry R. wrote:

    Haven't heard of that one. But like you, I have a few, not needing a
    lot. Is it worth checking out?

    --
    Terry R.

  17. Re: 10 must have extensions

    On 6/6/2008 8:42 AM, Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > Terry R. posted the following on 06-Jun-08 21:50:
    >> The date and time was 6/6/2008 7:35 AM, and on a whim, Sul@Mozilla
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >>>
    >>> any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird
    >>> instead of downloading those we require? or more testing is require
    >>> to ensure the extensions do not introduce any bugs?
    >>>

    >> My vote would be to leave the basic client as lean as possible. Let a
    >> user decide what they deem necessary or not. What you like may not
    >> appeal to another, so why put features in place that may never be used.
    >>

    > that may be true
    > out of the 28 extensions that I have, not all will appeal to all users;
    > but there are a number of them which every user would want;
    > the average user would not go through the all list of extensions available;
    >
    > the ones that I think most users would use could include the following;
    >
    > 1. Attachment extractor
    > 2. Extension List Dumper
    > 3. Mail Tweak
    > 4. QuickText
    > 5. Webmail (plus the rest depending on the provider)

    FWIW Of my 12 installed extensions, I have only one item from your list
    (QuickText) which is quite useful for answering multiple complaints
    about the same problem. I am considering Mail Tweak, but haven't decided
    yet.

    --
    Irwin

  18. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Irwin Greenwald posted the following on 07-Jun-08 11:34:

    > On 6/6/2008 8:42 AM, Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    >> Terry R. posted the following on 06-Jun-08 21:50:
    >>> The date and time was 6/6/2008 7:35 AM, and on a whim, Sul@Mozilla
    >>> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> My vote would be to leave the basic client as lean as possible. Let
    >>> a user decide what they deem necessary or not. What you like may not
    >>> appeal to another, so why put features in place that may never be used.
    >>>

    >> that may be true
    >> out of the 28 extensions that I have, not all will appeal to all users;
    >> but there are a number of them which every user would want;
    >> the average user would not go through the all list of extensions
    >> available;
    >>
    >> the ones that I think most users would use could include the following;
    >>
    >> 1. Attachment extractor
    >> 2. Extension List Dumper
    >> 3. Mail Tweak
    >> 4. QuickText
    >> 5. Webmail (plus the rest depending on the provider)
    >>

    > FWIW Of my 12 installed extensions, I have only one item from your list
    > (QuickText) which is quite useful for answering multiple complaints
    > about the same problem. I am considering Mail Tweak, but haven't decided
    > yet.

    this is my present list; note that I am using TB for both mail and news

    Application: Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 (2008042104)
    Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

    Total number of items: 28

    - Alphanumerator 0.2
    http://extensions.davekahler.com
    Thunderbird 1.0 - 3.0a1
    - Attachment Extractor 1.1
    http://www.eviljeff.com/?page=moz-extensions
    Thunderbird 2.0 - 2.0.0.*
    - British English Dictionary 1.19
    Thunderbird 2.0 - 3.0a2pre
    - Change 0.0.0.10
    http://www.c-est-simple.com/change
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 2.0.0.*
    - Colored Diffs 0.4.2
    http://code.google.com/p/colorediffs/
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 2.0.0.*
    - Country Lookup 1.3
    http://countrylookup.fvds.frih.net/
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 3.0a1
    - Display mail route 0.2.2
    http://www.cweiske.de/misc_extensions.htm#mailroute
    Thunderbird 1.0 - 2.0.0.*
    - Extension List Dumper 1.14.0
    http://sogame.awardspace.com/
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 2.0.0.*
    - Folderpane Tools 0.0.5.1
    http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/
    Thunderbird 1.0 - 3.0a1
    - Leet Key 1.4.1
    http://leetkey.mozdev.org
    Thunderbird 1.0+ - 2.0.0.*
    - Mail Tweak 0.16
    http://journal.mozdev.org/mailtweak.html
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 3.*
    - MessageFaces 1.1.2
    http://tecwizards.de/mozilla/messagefaces/
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 2.0.0.*
    - Mnenhy 0.7.5.666
    http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 3.0a1
    - MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.6
    http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/
    Thunderbird 1.0 - 3.0a1
    - Password Exporter 1.1
    http://passwordexporter.fligtar.com
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 2.0.0.*
    - Quicktext 0.9.9.9
    http://extensions.hesslow.se/quicktext
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 3.0a1
    - Quote Colors 0.2.8
    http://quotecolors.mozdev.org/
    Thunderbird 1.0 - 2.0.*
    - Signature Switch 1.6.1
    http://mozext.achimonline.de
    Thunderbird 0.7 - 3.0a1
    - Stationery 0.4.8.6
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 2.0.0.*
    - Talkback 2.0.0.9
    http://talkback.mozilla.org/
    Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 - 2.0.0.*
    - Text Complete 0.9.9.4
    http://www.cfavatar.com/textComplete.cfm
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 2.0.0.*
    - ThunderPlunger 1.0
    http://thunderplunger.mozdev.org/
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 2.0.0.*
    - Toolbar Buttons 0.5.0.4
    http://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 3.0a2pre
    - Track Package 2.3
    http://extensions.davekahler.com
    Thunderbird 1.0 - 3.0a1
    - Update Notifier 0.1.5.4
    http://www.longfocus.com/firefox/updatenotifier
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 2.0.0.*
    - WebMail 1.3.2
    http://webmail.mozdev.org
    Thunderbird 2.0b2 - 3.0.*
    - WebMail - Hotmail 1.2.15
    http://webmail.mozdev.org
    Thunderbird 1.5 - 2.0.*
    - Xpunge 0.2.3
    http://www.theodoretegos.net/mozilla/tb/index.html
    Thunderbird 1.0 - 2.0.0.*

    --

    Windows XP SP3

    Posting from Mozilla server

  19. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Sul@Mozilla keyboarded, On 6/7/2008 2:06 AM :
    > Irwin Greenwald posted the following on 07-Jun-08 11:34:
    >> On 6/6/2008 8:42 AM, Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    >>> Terry R. posted the following on 06-Jun-08 21:50:
    >>>>

    > this is my present list; note that I am using TB for both mail and news
    >
    > Application: Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 (2008042104)
    > Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)
    >

    > - Folderpane Tools 0.0.5.1
    > http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/
    > Thunderbird 1.0 - 3.0a1

    While this one works with a hack of MaxVer, it may break before We get
    to Tb 3.0 final.

    > - Mail Tweak 0.16
    > http://journal.mozdev.org/mailtweak.html
    > Thunderbird 1.5 - 3.*

    If you running Tb 3.0a1 or a2pre, then get the 1.0pre version, has some
    fixes for the Gecko 1.9 core.

    > - MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.6
    > http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/
    > Thunderbird 1.0 - 3.0a1

    Need to get the 6.0 build 29, renamed to Toolkit because the 5.3.2.6 has
    some broken features with 3.0a1 and a2pre.

    > - Quote Colors 0.2.8
    > http://quotecolors.mozdev.org/
    > Thunderbird 1.0 - 2.0.*

    This extension is buggy, has some CSS errors.

    --
    Ron K.

  20. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Sul@Mozilla wrote:

    > Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >
    > any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead of
    > downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure the
    > extensions do not introduce any bugs?

    I have 22 - by process of removing those I like but can live without I
    came up with 11 must have ones.

    - Allow HTML Temp 2.0.1:
    http://www.thunderbird-mail.de/wiki/..._temp_(english)
    - British English Dictionary 1.19:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Thund...h%20Dictionary
    - ConfirmFolderMove 1.0:
    http://ryanlee.org/software/mozilla/...rd/confirmfmv/
    - Enigmail 0.95.6: http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
    - Exit Button Thunderbird 0.5:
    http://www.linnhe.net/thunderbird/extensions.html
    - No New Window on Double Click 0.2.3: http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/
    - Quicktext 0.9.9.9: http://extensions.hesslow.se/quicktext
    - Quote Colors 0.2.8: http://quotecolors.mozdev.org/
    - TB QuickMove Extension 0.4.0: http://www.supportware.net/mozilla/
    - Xpunge 0.2.3: http://www.theodoretegos.net/mozilla/tb/index.html

    I doubt anyone will have the same list. As was pointed out elsewhere,
    the joy of extensions is that we all have different priorities and can
    cater for them this way.

    I don't have the extension I want most, because, afaik, it doesn't exist
    - that's the one that locks the "View" settings so they can't be altered
    by accidentally hitting the header bars (or removes the header bars
    completely; I've never once needed them). Suggested title - "Elderly
    with poor eyesight but hands like dustbin (trashcan, in the US version)
    lids lock" extension.

    Regards,

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread