10 must have extensions - Mozilla

This is a discussion on 10 must have extensions - Mozilla ; Larry Rappaport wrote: > Bob Henson wrote: > >> I don't have the extension I want most, because, afaik , it doesn't >> exist - that's the one that locks the "View" settings so they can't be >> altered by ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 57 of 57

  1. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Larry Rappaport wrote:
    > Bob Henson wrote:
    >
    >> I don't have the extension I want most, because, afaik, it doesn't
    >> exist - that's the one that locks the "View" settings so they can't be
    >> altered by accidentally hitting the header bars (or removes the header
    >> bars completely; I've never once needed them). Suggested title -
    >> "Elderly with poor eyesight but hands like dustbin (trashcan, in the
    >> US version) lids lock" extension.

    > Here's another vote for that one, and for the same reason! There used
    > to be a gizmo before "Subject" on the message pane that I could click to
    > restore my order, but I've somehow made it disappear.

    Does the "Mail Tweak" extension 'column heading lock' option, not meet
    your requirements?

  2. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Al wrote:
    > Larry Rappaport wrote:
    >> Bob Henson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't have the extension I want most, because, afaik, it doesn't
    >>> exist - that's the one that locks the "View" settings so they can't be
    >>> altered by accidentally hitting the header bars (or removes the header
    >>> bars completely; I've never once needed them). Suggested title -
    >>> "Elderly with poor eyesight but hands like dustbin (trashcan, in the
    >>> US version) lids lock" extension.

    >> Here's another vote for that one, and for the same reason! There used
    >> to be a gizmo before "Subject" on the message pane that I could click to
    >> restore my order, but I've somehow made it disappear.

    > Does the "Mail Tweak" extension 'column heading lock' option, not meet
    > your requirements?

    Wow - yes it does, I just didn't know about it. However, it doesn't
    restore that gizmo to the left of "subject" in the message list pane.
    Thanks.
    --

    Larry
    rapp at lmr dot com

  3. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Larry Rappaport wrote:
    > Al wrote:
    >> Larry Rappaport wrote:

    >>> Here's another vote for that one, and for the same reason! There
    >>> used to be a gizmo before "Subject" on the message pane that I could
    >>> click to restore my order, but I've somehow made it disappear.

    >> Does the "Mail Tweak" extension 'column heading lock' option, not meet
    >> your requirements?

    > Wow - yes it does, I just didn't know about it. However, it doesn't
    > restore that gizmo to the left of "subject" in the message list pane.
    > Thanks.

    .... I am part of that "Elderly with poor eyesight"... What
    'gizmo' left of the 'subject'? On my screen I have the following columns:

    Attachment
    Read
    Sender
    Subject
    Date
    And then there is the "Click to select columns to display" <---- is
    this the 'gizmo'?

    --

    Al
    http://www.sunrisedoors.com

  4. Re: 10 must have extensions

    On 08.06.2008 20:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Larry
    Rappaport to generate the following:? :
    > Al wrote:
    >
    >> Larry Rappaport wrote:

    >>> Here's another vote for that one, and for the same reason! There used
    >>> to be a gizmo before "Subject" on the message pane that I could click to
    >>> restore my order, but I've somehow made it disappear.
    >>>

    >> Does the "Mail Tweak" extension 'column heading lock' option, not meet
    >> your requirements?
    >>

    > Wow - yes it does, I just didn't know about it. However, it doesn't
    > restore that gizmo to the left of "subject" in the message list pane.
    > Thanks.

    if you have the column you want (that missing gizmo to the left) ticked
    in the dropdown list that the gizmo to the right hides, then you may
    have to start pulling on the lines between the headers, to unravel what
    is there but hidden under some other header.

    Also - did you know that you can "click-and-hold" any header bar and
    *DRAG* it to a better location. That means you can "sort" the header
    bars into any desired sequence!

    reg <<< possibly older that you (even older than Jay G.)

  5. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Thanks Guys,

    I found it! I have no idea what you call this thing, but clicking on it
    sorts the list into threads without changing the date order, etc. It
    looks something like the symbol for USB. Or maybe it's a diagonal L I C
    down and to the right. In any case I found it and dragged it to the
    extreme left. I think it's the symbol for "thread".
    --

    Larry
    rapp at lmr dot com

  6. Re: 10 must have extensions

    On 09.06.2008 00:49, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Larry
    Rappaport to generate the following:? :
    > Thanks Guys,
    >
    > I found it! I have no idea what you call this thing, but clicking on it
    > sorts the list into threads without changing the date order, etc. It
    > looks something like the symbol for USB. Or maybe it's a diagonal L I C
    > down and to the right. In any case I found it and dragged it to the
    > extreme left. I think it's the symbol for "thread".

    It's a toggle that, if you click it a second time, it should reverse the
    sort order (by date up<==>down). That puts the newest posts (as yet
    unthreaded) either at the top or at the bottom - your preference!

    reg

  7. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >
    > any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead
    > of downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure
    > the extensions do not introduce any bugs?

    FolderPane
    ConfirmFolderMove
    WebMail and related ones

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.5

  8. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >> One of the BEST parts of TB is that it can be customized to each
    >> person's preferences. If an extension was built into the program, it
    >> would be "you can have your model T in any color you want so long as
    >> you want black".

    > Perhaps a better idea would be to *offer* them as part of the
    > installation process...

    I don't have a problem with that - during the install process a window
    comes up that says "these are some very popular extensions. Click on
    the ones you would like to be added during the installation."

    As such - here are mine (in no particular order):
    Allow Empty Subject
    Attachment Sizes
    FolderPane Tools (ok, this one I can't live without)
    Mail Redirect
    Remember MisMatched Domain
    Signature Switch
    Quote Colors
    MR Tech Local Install
    ConfigDate

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  9. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Chris Barnes keyboarded, On 6/9/2008 11:07 AM :
    > Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >>> One of the BEST parts of TB is that it can be customized to each
    >>> person's preferences. If an extension was built into the program,
    >>> it would be "you can have your model T in any color you want so long
    >>> as you want black".

    >> Perhaps a better idea would be to *offer* them as part of the
    >> installation process...

    > I don't have a problem with that - during the install process a window
    > comes up that says "these are some very popular extensions. Click on
    > the ones you would like to be added during the installation."
    >

    > As such - here are mine (in no particular order):
    > Allow Empty Subject
    > Attachment Sizes
    > FolderPane Tools (ok, this one I can't live without)
    > Mail Redirect
    > Remember MisMatched Domain
    > Signature Switch
    > Quote Colors
    > MR Tech Local Install
    > ConfigDate

    Have you looked at the New Add-on Manager used in Fx3.0. It is going to
    be in Tb3.0 and has been in the trunk nightlies for awhile. It has a
    tab that displays a short recommended list and has a search feature to
    fined extensions at AMO.

    --
    Ron K.

  10. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Chris Barnes wrote:
    > Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >>> One of the BEST parts of TB is that it can be customized to each
    >>> person's preferences. If an extension was built into the program, it
    >>> would be "you can have your model T in any color you want so long as
    >>> you want black".

    >> Perhaps a better idea would be to *offer* them as part of the
    >> installation process...

    > I don't have a problem with that - during the install process a window
    > comes up that says "these are some very popular extensions. Click on
    > the ones you would like to be added during the installation."
    >

    > As such - here are mine (in no particular order):
    > Allow Empty Subject
    > Attachment Sizes
    > FolderPane Tools (ok, this one I can't live without)
    > Mail Redirect
    > Remember MisMatched Domain
    > Signature Switch
    > Quote Colors
    > MR Tech Local Install
    > ConfigDate

    Does no one here get spam?
    Purge! and Delete Junk Context Menu (for when Delete Junk is gray...)
    Those, and Miminimize to Tray I can't be without.

  11. Re: 10 must have extensions

    clay wrote:
    > Does no one here get spam?

    I do, but Gmail virtually catches it all, so it rarely reaches my POP3
    account on Thunderbird. Most of my training thus far has been
    correcting false positives.

  12. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > Terry R. posted the following on 06-Jun-08 21:50:
    >> The date and time was 6/6/2008 7:35 AM, and on a whim, Sul@Mozilla
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?
    >>>
    >>> any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird
    >>> instead of downloading those we require? or more testing is require
    >>> to ensure the extensions do not introduce any bugs?
    >>>

    >> My vote would be to leave the basic client as lean as possible. Let a
    >> user decide what they deem necessary or not. What you like may not
    >> appeal to another, so why put features in place that may never be used.
    >>

    > that may be true
    > out of the 28 extensions that I have, not all will appeal to all users;
    > but there are a number of them which every user would want;
    > the average user would not go through the all list of extensions available;
    >
    > the ones that I think most users would use could include the following;
    >
    > 1. Attachment extractor
    > 2. Extension List Dumper
    > 3. Mail Tweak
    > 4. QuickText
    > 5. Webmail (plus the rest depending on the provider)

    of your "top 5" i only use one... and i'm not
    particularly happy with it...

  13. Re: 10 must have extensions

    clay wrote:
    > Chris Barnes wrote:
    >>> Perhaps a better idea would be to *offer* them as part of the
    >>> installation process...

    >> I don't have a problem with that - during the install process a window
    >> comes up that says "these are some very popular extensions. Click on
    >> the ones you would like to be added during the installation."
    >>

    >> As such - here are mine (in no particular order):
    >> Allow Empty Subject
    >> Attachment Sizes
    >> FolderPane Tools (ok, this one I can't live without)
    >> Mail Redirect
    >> Remember MisMatched Domain
    >> Signature Switch
    >> Quote Colors
    >> MR Tech Local Install
    >> ConfigDate
    >>

    > Does no one here get spam?
    > Purge! and Delete Junk Context Menu (for when Delete Junk is gray...)
    > Those, and Miminimize to Tray I can't be without.

    my limited spam is more than managable with plain thunderbird

    with tazilla, jslib, webmail and lightning

  14. Re: 10 must have extensions

    clay wrote:
    > Chris Barnes wrote:
    >>> Perhaps a better idea would be to *offer* them as part of the
    >>> installation process...

    >> I don't have a problem with that - during the install process a window
    >> comes up that says "these are some very popular extensions. Click on
    >> the ones you would like to be added during the installation."
    >>

    >> As such - here are mine (in no particular order):
    >> Allow Empty Subject
    >> Attachment Sizes
    >> FolderPane Tools (ok, this one I can't live without)
    >> Mail Redirect
    >> Remember MisMatched Domain
    >> Signature Switch
    >> Quote Colors
    >> MR Tech Local Install
    >> ConfigDate
    >>

    > Does no one here get spam?
    > Purge! and Delete Junk Context Menu (for when Delete Junk is gray...)
    > Those, and Miminimize to Tray I can't be without.

    I rarely get spam other than in my "Junk Folder".. I do not use the TB
    junk capability, rather I use POPFILE which I have used for several
    years now... with a 99.75% accuracy, why change what works so well...
    and it is FREE!

    --

    Al
    http://www.sunrisedoors.com

  15. Re: 10 must have extensions

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Have you looked at the New Add-on Manager used in Fx3.0. It is going to
    > be in Tb3.0 and has been in the trunk nightlies for awhile. It has a
    > tab that displays a short recommended list and has a search feature to
    > fined extensions at AMO.

    No - I have been avoiding 3.0 until after the extension writers get a
    chance to send out their updates. ;-)

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
    chris@txbarnes.com Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  16. Re: 10 must have extensions

    clay wrote:
    > Does no one here get spam?
    > Purge! and Delete Junk Context Menu (for when Delete Junk is gray...)
    > Those, and Miminimize to Tray I can't be without.

    I deal with those on the server (since I use Imap anyway). TB puts the
    spam into a "probable spam" folder for me. I peruse that folder, mostly
    looking for false positives (there are almost always 1 or 2 in the 500
    or so spam messages in the folder).

    The false positives I move to a folder called "Ham". The verified spam
    I move to a folder called "Spam".

    A cronjob on the server then runs sa-learn on both folders, helping to
    improve the SA scores (which TB is configured to use). The messages in
    the Ham folder are then moved to my inbox; the Spam folder is purged
    (again, by the cronjob).

    I guess folks who don't run their own mail server have to do something
    different. *eg*

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
    chris@txbarnes.com Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  17. Re: 10 must have extensions

    On Mar 22, 5:04*am, incognite wrote:
    > On 19/03/2009 11:45 AM, Uversy wrote:
    >

    > > The problem with putting extensions in TB by default is that you
    > > instantly require they be maintained. Since extensions are intended to
    > > be a community effort (outside of the TB project team), it is not
    > > possible to guarantee that an extension will continually have an
    > > acceptable level of maintenance. What might be more useful would be a
    > > command-line driven structure where add-ons could be downloaded and
    > > installed. Thus, new installs of TB would only need to have a script run
    > > in order to install a user's desired plugins. However, I do not know how
    > > the add-ons are stored (webserver, database, or combo) or if TB
    > > could/does support command-line driven actions such as this. If not,
    > > perhaps an XML export could be devised that exports the current add-on
    > > list from a TB install and, when imported to another install of TB,
    > > downloads the most current release of that add-on.

    > > Brett

    > > Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > >> Any recommendations for at least 10 must have extensions?

    > >> any possibility of incorporating the extensions to Thunderbird instead
    > >> of downloading those we require? or more testing is require to ensure
    > >> the extensions do not introduce any bugs?

    > One plug in I downloaded wasThunderbrowsebut it's as buggy as hell in
    > TB3. I hoped it was going to use the new Tabs since it was packaged
    > accordingly with the app but no, quality controls have failed the test.

    I can acknowledge that I did miss a couple of bugs in 3.2.3, but those
    are going to be fixed soon in 3.2.4 (it contains a couple of fixes
    that were going to make it in to 3.2.3 but I had to release 3.2.3
    early in order to turn it in for a project).

    However, like Melchert said, it would be best to file these bugs with
    the ThunderBrowse bug reporter (http://thunderbrowse.com/bugreport/)

    As for supporting TB3 tabs:
    If I can implement everything I need to into the new TB3 tabs easily
    and effectively, then yes, I'll most likely move to the new tab
    system. But as of the last time I checked, that isn't the case (note:
    I've been unable to install any new nightlies [I only have the first
    nightly]. My sandbox system [Sandboxie] cannot run the installers
    anymore [and I'm unsure of who is at fault if anyone]).

    I have stated before that I will move to the new system, but it would
    be a rewrite of a lot of ThunderBrowse code in order to support the
    new tabs as well as supporting my own tab system for TB2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3