Skype add-on - how to get rid of it? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Skype add-on - how to get rid of it? - Mozilla ; I made the mistake of updating my Skype to the latest version (3.8.0.xxx) There were no installation warnings or options - but I now notice that I have a 'Skype extension for Firefox v 2.2.0.87' installed on my browser FF3 ...

  1. Skype add-on - how to get rid of it?

    I made the mistake of updating my Skype to the latest version (3.8.0.xxx)

    There were no installation warnings or options - but I now notice that I
    have a 'Skype extension for Firefox v 2.2.0.87' installed on my browser
    FF3 RC2.

    I have managed to 'Disable' it, but the button for uninstall is greyed
    out - I am unable to uninstall it. Any solutions?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Skype add-on - how to get rid of it?

    The date and time was 6/4/2008 11:47 PM, and on a whim, kes pounded out
    on the keyboard:

    > I made the mistake of updating my Skype to the latest version (3.8.0.xxx)
    >
    > There were no installation warnings or options - but I now notice that I
    > have a 'Skype extension for Firefox v 2.2.0.87' installed on my browser
    > FF3 RC2.
    >
    > I have managed to 'Disable' it, but the button for uninstall is greyed
    > out - I am unable to uninstall it. Any solutions?
    >
    > Thanks

    Skype usually has an uninstall in Add/Remove Programs. It may have to
    be enabled for it to be removed.

    --
    Terry R.

  3. Re: Skype add-on - how to get rid of it?

    kes posted the following on 05-Jun-08 13:47:
    > I made the mistake of updating my Skype to the latest version (3.8.0.xxx)
    >
    > There were no installation warnings or options - but I now notice that I
    > have a 'Skype extension for Firefox v 2.2.0.87' installed on my browser
    > FF3 RC2.
    >
    > I have managed to 'Disable' it, but the button for uninstall is greyed
    > out - I am unable to uninstall it. Any solutions?
    >
    > Thanks

    1. Try FF in safe mode and see whether it can be removed. Be careful though; I
    tried to remove one extension in safe mode and FF3rc2 was struck in safe mode
    and I have to removed it and reinstall (I installed FF3 into FF2)

    2. Go to the Extension folder and see whether you can see which folder contains
    the Skype addon. Do not delete it but simply add .old to the folder. Fire FF and
    see whether the Skype extension is still active.

    just for info purpose, when you click on the options button on Skype extension,
    did the addon window freeze?

    I used IE7 as my main browser and I can simply disable it from IE without
    removing it.

    --

    Windows XP SP3

    Posting from Mozilla server