Irritating expanded threads - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Irritating expanded threads - Mozilla ; Why is it that when subscribing to Usenet newsgroups in Seamonkey, that some threads are automatically opened? I usually follow a few threads in a group, and mark these with colors (using "tags"), so I would like to avoid having ...

  1. Irritating expanded threads

    Why is it that when subscribing to Usenet newsgroups in Seamonkey, that
    some threads are automatically opened?
    I usually follow a few threads in a group, and mark these with colors
    (using "tags"), so I would like to avoid having to scroll through a
    loooong thread which I haven't even chosen to view.
    It looks like very long threads are opened by default, but there may be
    other reasons for it. Is there a way to switch this feature off?
    I'm on Seamonkey 1.1.9.

  2. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    On 04/06/08 09:24, NoSp wrote:
    > Why is it that when subscribing to Usenet newsgroups in Seamonkey, that
    > some threads are automatically opened?
    > I usually follow a few threads in a group, and mark these with colors
    > (using "tags"), so I would like to avoid having to scroll through a
    > loooong thread which I haven't even chosen to view.
    > It looks like very long threads are opened by default, but there may be
    > other reasons for it. Is there a way to switch this feature off?
    > I'm on Seamonkey 1.1.9.

    Sometimes when I change newsgroups (e.g. after confirming "Go to next
    message in xxxxx" after Next Unread) one or two threads with unread are
    opened.

    Hitting \ collapses all threads.
    Hitting goes one level up, and if done at top level, collapses
    the current thread, so press and hold to (eventually) collapse
    the current thread, starting from anywhere in the thread.
    Of course the mouse and the menus can also be used.

    I don't know how to prevent expanding threads, though if I collapse them
    all before leaving, when I come back most of them are still collapsed.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Your lucky color has faded.

  3. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    NoSp wrote:
    > Why is it that when subscribing to Usenet newsgroups in Seamonkey, that
    > some threads are automatically opened?
    > I usually follow a few threads in a group, and mark these with colors
    > (using "tags"), so I would like to avoid having to scroll through a
    > loooong thread which I haven't even chosen to view.
    > It looks like very long threads are opened by default, but there may be
    > other reasons for it. Is there a way to switch this feature off?
    > I'm on Seamonkey 1.1.9.

    My understanding was that the thread that was posted to most recently is
    left open, and, probably, the very long threads are the ones with the
    most action, so are most likely the most recently posted to.

    I had thought that if I were to mark a "thread as Read" it would
    permanently disappear from my sight, but when someone else posts to that
    thread, it re-appeared to me. I have since found out that if I
    Message|Ignore Thread, it disappears for good.

    Maybe Message|Ignore Thread would achieve what you want!

    HTH

    Daniel

  4. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    Daniel wrote:
    > NoSp wrote:
    >> Why is it that when subscribing to Usenet newsgroups in Seamonkey,
    >> that some threads are automatically opened?

    > Maybe Message|Ignore Thread would achieve what you want!

    That's only a temporary fix as other threads will start to expand
    instead. It's like Seamonkey is forcing me to read threads I'm not
    interested in!
    I bet there's some sort of setting in "about:config", but with all the
    cryptic wording it's hard to know what to look for.

  5. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    NoSp wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> NoSp wrote:
    >>> Why is it that when subscribing to Usenet newsgroups in Seamonkey,
    >>> that some threads are automatically opened?

    >> Maybe Message|Ignore Thread would achieve what you want!

    > That's only a temporary fix as other threads will start to expand
    > instead. It's like Seamonkey is forcing me to read threads I'm not
    > interested in!
    > I bet there's some sort of setting in "about:config", but with all the
    > cryptic wording it's hard to know what to look for.

    Why not try killing the thread when you decide you don't want to see it
    anymore? Highlight any line in the thread and press 'K'. In that
    session the thred will be marked with the international 'No' sign (red
    circle with a diagonal line in it), and the next time you open your
    newsgroup, that thread won't show at all. It can't expand if it isn't
    there.

  6. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    Rickles wrote:
    > NoSp wrote:
    >>> I bet there's some sort of setting in "about:config", but with all the

    >> cryptic wording it's hard to know what to look for.
    >>

    > Why not try killing the thread when you decide you don't want to see it
    > anymore? Highlight any line in the thread and press 'K'. In that
    > session the thred will be marked with the international 'No' sign (red
    > circle with a diagonal line in it), and the next time you open your
    > newsgroup, that thread won't show at all. It can't expand if it isn't
    > there.

    You're misunderstanding. There's no *THE* thread. There's no one
    specific thread, but a general problem.
    If I kill one thread Seamonkey just just opens another one.
    I just want *ALL* usenet newsgroup threads to be collapsed when I click
    on a newsgroup in Seamonkey. *I* want to be in control of which threads
    I want open or not, not the other way round where Seamonkey tells me
    what I ought to find interesting ;-)

  7. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    NoSp wrote:
    > Rickles wrote:
    >>> cryptic wording it's hard to know what to look for.
    >>>

    >> Why not try killing the thread when you decide you don't want to see it
    >> anymore? Highlight any line in the thread and press 'K'. In that
    >> session the thred will be marked with the international 'No' sign (red
    >> circle with a diagonal line in it), and the next time you open your
    >> newsgroup, that thread won't show at all. It can't expand if it isn't
    >> there.

    > You're misunderstanding. There's no *THE* thread. There's no one
    > specific thread, but a general problem.
    > If I kill one thread Seamonkey just just opens another one.
    > I just want *ALL* usenet newsgroup threads to be collapsed when I click
    > on a newsgroup in Seamonkey. *I* want to be in control of which threads
    > I want open or not, not the other way round where Seamonkey tells me
    > what I ought to find interesting ;-)

    View > Sort > Messages > All
    V > S > Threads > All

    I think, if I understand what you want.

  8. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    NoSp wrote:
    > Rickles wrote:
    >>> cryptic wording it's hard to know what to look for.
    >>>

    >> Why not try killing the thread when you decide you don't want to see
    >> it anymore? Highlight any line in the thread and press 'K'. In that
    >> session the thred will be marked with the international 'No' sign (red
    >> circle with a diagonal line in it), and the next time you open your
    >> newsgroup, that thread won't show at all. It can't expand if it isn't
    >> there.

    > You're misunderstanding. There's no *THE* thread. There's no one
    > specific thread, but a general problem.
    > If I kill one thread Seamonkey just just opens another one.
    > I just want *ALL* usenet newsgroup threads to be collapsed when I click
    > on a newsgroup in Seamonkey. *I* want to be in control of which threads
    > I want open or not, not the other way round where Seamonkey tells me
    > what I ought to find interesting ;-)

    NoSp, if you're in the newsgroups and press the * key on the numeric
    keyboard, all threads will be opened, but, I think, you want the
    opposite, i.e. all threads closed, so try the - key on the numeric
    keyboard. I think that works!!

    Daniel

  9. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    On 06/08/08 22:51, Daniel wrote:
    > NoSp wrote:
    >> Rickles wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Why not try killing the thread when you decide you don't want to see
    >>> it anymore? Highlight any line in the thread and press 'K'. In that
    >>> session the thred will be marked with the international 'No' sign (red
    >>> circle with a diagonal line in it), and the next time you open your
    >>> newsgroup, that thread won't show at all. It can't expand if it isn't
    >>> there.

    >> You're misunderstanding. There's no *THE* thread. There's no one
    >> specific thread, but a general problem.
    >> If I kill one thread Seamonkey just just opens another one.
    >> I just want *ALL* usenet newsgroup threads to be collapsed when I click
    >> on a newsgroup in Seamonkey. *I* want to be in control of which threads
    >> I want open or not, not the other way round where Seamonkey tells me
    >> what I ought to find interesting ;-)

    > NoSp, if you're in the newsgroups and press the * key on the numeric
    > keyboard, all threads will be opened, but, I think, you want the
    > opposite, i.e. all threads closed, so try the - key on the numeric
    > keyboard. I think that works!!
    >
    > Daniel

    I'm running Seamonkey 1.1.7 on Linux and tried the minus key (-) on
    the numeric keypad and it had no effect on opened threads. However,
    the backslash key does close the current thread.

  10. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 06/08/08 22:51, Daniel wrote:
    >> NoSp wrote:

    >>> You're misunderstanding. There's no *THE* thread. There's no one
    >>> specific thread, but a general problem.
    >>> If I kill one thread Seamonkey just just opens another one.
    >>> I just want *ALL* usenet newsgroup threads to be collapsed when I click
    >>> on a newsgroup in Seamonkey. *I* want to be in control of which threads
    >>> I want open or not, not the other way round where Seamonkey tells me
    >>> what I ought to find interesting ;-)

    >> NoSp, if you're in the newsgroups and press the * key on the numeric
    >> keyboard, all threads will be opened, but, I think, you want the
    >> opposite, i.e. all threads closed, so try the - key on the numeric
    >> keyboard. I think that works!!
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > I'm running Seamonkey 1.1.7 on Linux and tried the minus key (-) on
    > the numeric keypad and it had no effect on opened threads. However,
    > the backslash key does close the current thread.

    where are you getting that minus key info from? Nobody said
    that. You can find everything you need under View, Theads,
    and at the bottom of that it will tell you which keys you
    can use.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  11. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    On 06/09/08 10:25, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Mark Hansen wrote:

    >>> NoSp, if you're in the newsgroups and press the * key on the numeric
    >>> keyboard, all threads will be opened, but, I think, you want the
    >>> opposite, i.e. all threads closed, so try the - key on the numeric
    >>> keyboard. I think that works!!
    >>>
    >>> Daniel

    >> I'm running Seamonkey 1.1.7 on Linux and tried the minus key (-) on
    >> the numeric keypad and it had no effect on opened threads. However,
    >> the backslash key does close the current thread.
    >>

    > where are you getting that minus key info from? Nobody said
    > that. You can find everything you need under View, Theads,
    > and at the bottom of that it will tell you which keys you
    > can use.

    What? I was responding to a post which talked about using it. Can't you
    see it? It just a few lines above this line.

    Perhaps you responded to the wrong post?

  12. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 06/09/08 10:25, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Mark Hansen wrote:

    >>> I'm running Seamonkey 1.1.7 on Linux and tried the minus key (-) on
    >>> the numeric keypad and it had no effect on opened threads. However,
    >>> the backslash key does close the current thread.
    >>>

    >> where are you getting that minus key info from? Nobody said
    >> that. You can find everything you need under View, Theads,
    >> and at the bottom of that it will tell you which keys you
    >> can use.
    >>

    > What? I was responding to a post which talked about using it. Can't you
    > see it? It just a few lines above this line.
    >
    > Perhaps you responded to the wrong post?

    so it does. I make amends. Then it should be Dan I should
    be chewing out.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  13. Re: Irritating expanded threads

    Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 06/08/08 22:51, Daniel wrote:
    >> NoSp wrote:

    >>> You're misunderstanding. There's no *THE* thread. There's no one
    >>> specific thread, but a general problem.
    >>> If I kill one thread Seamonkey just just opens another one.
    >>> I just want *ALL* usenet newsgroup threads to be collapsed when I click
    >>> on a newsgroup in Seamonkey. *I* want to be in control of which threads
    >>> I want open or not, not the other way round where Seamonkey tells me
    >>> what I ought to find interesting ;-)

    >> NoSp, if you're in the newsgroups and press the * key on the numeric
    >> keyboard, all threads will be opened, but, I think, you want the
    >> opposite, i.e. all threads closed, so try the - key on the numeric
    >> keyboard. I think that works!!
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > I'm running Seamonkey 1.1.7 on Linux and tried the minus key (-) on
    > the numeric keypad and it had no effect on opened threads. However,
    > the backslash key does close the current thread.

    Oh!! Well!!, I knew it was one of them .... 50/50 chance, trust me to
    pick the wrong one!

    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread