Reinstallation problems - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Reinstallation problems - Mozilla ; I've done this kind of upgrade/reinstallation/new computer a dozen times over the past ten years, but I still can't figure it out... After a hard disk failure I had to reinstall Windows and then Seamonkey. I know where all my ...

  1. Reinstallation problems

    I've done this kind of upgrade/reinstallation/new computer a dozen times over the past ten years, but I still can't figure it out...

    After a hard disk failure I had to reinstall Windows and then Seamonkey. I know where all my years' of old e-mail folders are, but when I go into Edit | Mail/Newsgroup Account Settings | Server Settings | Local Directory and browse to that location, I still can't get the old emails to show up in SM. I've always managed to make this work before but I can never remember what tricks are required!

  2. Re: Reinstallation problems

    The date and time was 6/3/2008 9:56 AM, and on a whim, Bill Spikowski
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > I've done this kind of upgrade/reinstallation/new computer a dozen
    > times over the past ten years, but I still can't figure it out...
    >
    > After a hard disk failure I had to reinstall Windows and then
    > Seamonkey. I know where all my years' of old e-mail folders are, but
    > when I go into Edit | Mail/Newsgroup Account Settings | Server
    > Settings | Local Directory and browse to that location, I still can't
    > get the old emails to show up in SM. I've always managed to make this
    > work before but I can never remember what tricks are required!

    Hi Bill,

    Start here:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri..._a_new_profile
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Combining_two_profiles
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey

    --
    Terry R.

  3. Re: Reinstallation problems

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 6/3/2008 9:56 AM, and on a whim, Bill Spikowski
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> I've done this kind of upgrade/reinstallation/new computer a dozen
    >> times over the past ten years, but I still can't figure it out...
    >>
    >> After a hard disk failure I had to reinstall Windows and then
    >> Seamonkey. I know where all my years' of old e-mail folders are, but
    >> when I go into Edit | Mail/Newsgroup Account Settings | Server
    >> Settings | Local Directory and browse to that location, I still can't
    >> get the old emails to show up in SM. I've always managed to make this
    >> work before but I can never remember what tricks are required!

    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > Start here:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri..._a_new_profile
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Combining_two_profiles
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey

    Thanks, this is great stuff!

  4. Re: Reinstallation problems

    The date and time was 6/4/2008 3:24 PM, and on a whim, Bill Spikowski
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 6/3/2008 9:56 AM, and on a whim, Bill Spikowski
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> I've done this kind of upgrade/reinstallation/new computer a dozen
    >>> times over the past ten years, but I still can't figure it out...
    >>>
    >>> After a hard disk failure I had to reinstall Windows and then
    >>> Seamonkey. I know where all my years' of old e-mail folders are, but
    >>> when I go into Edit | Mail/Newsgroup Account Settings | Server
    >>> Settings | Local Directory and browse to that location, I still can't
    >>> get the old emails to show up in SM. I've always managed to make this
    >>> work before but I can never remember what tricks are required!

    >> Hi Bill,
    >>
    >> Start here:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri..._a_new_profile
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager