3b3 hangs and scandisk makes it reset the settings - Mozilla

This is a discussion on 3b3 hangs and scandisk makes it reset the settings - Mozilla ; my 3b3 is hanging every now and then. much more than all netscape and ff had every hung in last 10 years. and then it restarts and all options settings are gone, all extensions reinstall with blank or default settings. ...

  1. 3b3 hangs and scandisk makes it reset the settings

    my 3b3 is hanging every now and then. much more than all netscape and ff
    had every hung in last 10 years.

    and then it restarts and all options settings are gone, all extensions
    reinstall with blank or default settings.

    I am fed up.

    anyway. it is again opening javascript encoded link in a separated small
    window which were previously opening in new tab in the same window.

    how to use it in single window, multiple tabs mode?

    thanks.
    --
    Rawat

  2. Re: 3b3 hangs and scandisk makes it reset the settings

    "V S Rawat" wrote..
    > my 3b3 is hanging every now and then. much more than all netscape and ff
    > had every hung in last 10 years.
    >
    > and then it restarts and all options settings are gone, all extensions
    > reinstall with blank or default settings.
    >
    > I am fed up.
    >
    > anyway. it is again opening javascript encoded link in a separated small
    > window which were previously opening in new tab in the same window.
    >
    > how to use it in single window, multiple tabs mode?

    Scandisk is in the subject, but is not in the question, does scandisk
    keep getting errors. Same for word hangs and your version.
    Please include everything in the question.

    Backing up your user files, would include your profile, do you
    have backup? If you do, you could have restored your profile
    with Firefox down (of course Firefox should have been down also
    when backing up, guess I'm not good on that part).

    Would you check to see if you have multiple profiles, and switched
    your profile. Check your profile to see if you have multiple files
    -- files ending with sequential numbers.
    Make sure that you don't have hidden files, or read only files
    (write protected files) from a restore from a backup to removable device (CD) .
    See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/profile.htm

    As far as Tabs go, your main setting is in Tools, Options, Tabs
    New pages open in Tabs, and each of the four items following also checked.
    on the "Tabs Option" link in
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...w#tabs_options
    also see
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Tabbed+browsing

    Tabbed Browsing in Firefox
    Location: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm
    Companion: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs_config.htm

    --
    HTH,

  3. Re: 3b3 hangs and scandisk makes it reset the settings

    On 6/4/2008 5:35 PM India Time, _David McRitchie_ wrote:

    > "V S Rawat" wrote..
    >> my 3b3 is hanging every now and then. much more than all netscape and ff
    >> had every hung in last 10 years.
    >>
    >> and then it restarts and all options settings are gone, all extensions
    >> reinstall with blank or default settings.
    >>
    >> I am fed up.
    >>
    >> anyway. it is again opening javascript encoded link in a separated small
    >> window which were previously opening in new tab in the same window.
    >>
    >> how to use it in single window, multiple tabs mode?

    > Scandisk is in the subject, but is not in the question, does scandisk
    > keep getting errors. Same for word hangs and your version.
    > Please include everything in the question.

    xpsp3. yeah, I updated my sp2 to sp3 just yesterday. I don't whether it
    has caused the problem, otherwise for last 23 hours, after updating to
    sp3 there is no other problem faced.

    This time, everything was working fine and I clicked on a link of a page
    and it went to open in another tab, but didn't happen, and ff3b3 froze.
    killed it with task manager, but it would start and hang again, thrice.
    then windows task bar also froze, not responding to mouse, keyboard not
    working, so I had to boot the pc.

    scandisk gave a loooooong list of files being truncated in which my ff
    profile was appearing in the name. That is why I thought someone might
    get a clue on seeing that connection.

    > Backing up your user files, would include your profile, do you
    > have backup? If you do, you could have restored your profile
    > with Firefox down (of course Firefox should have been down also
    > when backing up, guess I'm not good on that part).

    I never backed up my profile.

    > Would you check to see if you have multiple profiles, and switched
    > your profile. Check your profile to see if you have multiple files
    > -- files ending with sequential numbers.

    I am in single profile always. which is in E:

    > Make sure that you don't have hidden files, or read only files
    > (write protected files) from a restore from a backup to removable device (CD) .
    > See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/profile.htm
    >
    > As far as Tabs go, your main setting is in Tools, Options, Tabs
    > New pages open in Tabs, and each of the four items following also checked.
    > on the "Tabs Option" link in
    > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...w#tabs_options
    > also see
    > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Tabbed+browsing

    > Tabbed Browsing in Firefox
    > Location: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm
    > Companion: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs_config.htm

    first thing I had done was change those settings to my liking. it is
    working otherwise ok in single window multiple mode, but only when I
    click on void-javascript link, then that links was previously opening in
    new tab, but now it opens in a new window.

    how to open that void-javascript link in new tab. script block is on but
    this site is allowed.

    --
    Rawat

  4. Re: 3b3 hangs and scandisk makes it reset the settings

    "V S Rawat"
    > how to open that void-javascript link in new tab. script block is on but
    > this site is allowed.

    Try setting
    browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to 0

    see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs_config.htm
    and these
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.li...ow.restriction
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    BTW, the main point of me pointing out that parts of your question
    were in the title was another reminder that by only being in the title
    it is *not* part of the question and will be unseen and completely
    ignored by many if not most responders most of the time. The subject
    has to summarize the question never ever to add additional content.

  5. Re: 3b3 hangs and scandisk makes it reset the settings

    On 6/4/2008 8:50 PM India Time, _David McRitchie_ wrote:

    > "V S Rawat"
    >> how to open that void-javascript link in new tab. script block is on but
    >> this site is allowed.

    > Try setting
    > browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to 0

    dead on. :-)

    did the trick. working great.

    thanks. :-)

    > see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs_config.htm
    > and these
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.li...ow.restriction
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    >
    > BTW, the main point of me pointing out that parts of your question
    > were in the title was another reminder that by only being in the title
    > it is *not* part of the question and will be unseen and completely
    > ignored by many if not most responders most of the time. The subject
    > has to summarize the question never ever to add additional content.

+ Reply to Thread