ff3 install - Mozilla

This is a discussion on ff3 install - Mozilla ; When ff3 comes out, should it be installed as an update over ff2? Or would it be better to remove ff2 and install ff3 fresh?...

  1. ff3 install

    When ff3 comes out, should it be installed as an update over ff2? Or
    would it be better to remove ff2 and install ff3 fresh?

  2. Re: ff3 install

    richard escribió:
    > When ff3 comes out, should it be installed as an update over ff2? Or
    > would it be better to remove ff2 and install ff3 fresh?

    It's betterinstall in another directoy, copy you fx2.0 over a new fx3.0
    profile and test.

    Install in another directory, copy the plugins folder of fx2.0 to fx3.0
    Execute fx3.0 with the switch -p, make a new profile.
    Start fx3.0 using the switch -p and select the fx3.0 profile made.
    Exit Fx3.0, copy all files from the fx2.0 profile to the fx3.0 profile.

    To restore the default profile to use with fx2.0 execute it with the
    switch -p and select the previus profile after you use fx3.0.

    To use fx3.0, start fx3.0 using the switch -p and select the fx3.0
    profile made or make a link like
    "firefox3.0path\firefox.exe" -p "fx3.0 profile"

  3. Re: ff3 install

    On 04/06/08 05:26, gato2008chile wrote:
    > richard escribió:
    >> When ff3 comes out, should it be installed as an update over ff2? Or
    >> would it be better to remove ff2 and install ff3 fresh?

    > It's betterinstall in another directoy, copy you fx2.0 over a new fx3.0
    > profile and test.
    >
    > Install in another directory, copy the plugins folder of fx2.0 to fx3.0
    > Execute fx3.0 with the switch -p, make a new profile.
    > Start fx3.0 using the switch -p and select the fx3.0 profile made.
    > Exit Fx3.0, copy all files from the fx2.0 profile to the fx3.0 profile.
    >
    > To restore the default profile to use with fx2.0 execute it with the
    > switch -p and select the previus profile after you use fx3.0.
    >

    > To use fx3.0, start fx3.0 using the switch -p and select the fx3.0
    > profile made or make a link like
    > "firefox3.0path\firefox.exe" -p "fx3.0 profile"

    It is possible to run them both at the same time (with, of course,
    different installation directories and different profiles): e.g.

    Windows:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox\firefox" -P default
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox3\firefox" -no-remote -P testing

    Linux:
    /usr/local/firefox/firefox -P default
    $HOME/testing/firefox/firefox -no-remote -P testing

    (vary at will)

    The -no-remote switch (new in Fx3, I think) avoids checking for an
    "already running" instance of Firefox; without it, you wouldn't get a
    new instance but a new window in the already running instance.

    To create the second profile, use either
    firefox -ProfileManager
    or
    firefox -CreateProfile testing
    The latter is not documented on the help screen obtained by
    firefox -h |more
    but I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. It is supposed to create the
    profile without starting the browser; unlike the full Profile Manager,
    it _doesn't_ allow spaces in the profile name.

    The idea, as I see it, is not to have both running permanently, but to
    run quick tests on the one (and then close it) without needing to close
    and restart the other.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    "For I perceive that behind this seemingly unrelated sequence
    of events, there lurks a singular, sinister attitude of mind."

    "Whose?"

    "MINE! HA-HA!"

+ Reply to Thread