FF3 RC1 not accepting keyboard input - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF3 RC1 not accepting keyboard input - Mozilla ; Yesterday FF3 RC1 started acting up on me. When I try to enter data into a form or an address into the address bar, I frequently have to hit the letter keys multiple times to get a response. I can ...

  1. FF3 RC1 not accepting keyboard input

    Yesterday FF3 RC1 started acting up on me. When I try to enter data into
    a form or an address into the address bar, I frequently have to hit the
    letter keys multiple times to get a response. I can use cut-and-paste
    with no problem, and I have no such problem with any other program, just
    FF. Restarting FF made no difference. Haven't tried a reinstall, thought
    I'd wait for RC2. Any ideas?

    Dave

  2. Re: FF3 RC1 not accepting keyboard input

    "Traveller" wrote in message news:ErCdnUl5gIMkOdjVnZ2dnUVZ_qTinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Yesterday FF3 RC1 started acting up on me. When I try to enter data into
    > a form or an address into the address bar, I frequently have to hit the
    > letter keys multiple times to get a response. I can use cut-and-paste
    > with no problem, and I have no such problem with any other program, just
    > FF. Restarting FF made no difference. Haven't tried a reinstall, thought
    > I'd wait for RC2. Any ideas?

    Hi Traveller,
    Regardless of whether or not you think you installed it, check your
    addons to see if you have "AVG Safe Search" extension installed.
    Disable it if you do. And to prevent it from causing troubles with
    new profiles, suggest completely removing it (there is no uninstall)
    on your addons for it. See http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1338
    Some additional information on my firefox.htm page.

    If that is not the problem, I have no other ideas because that is the only
    loss of using Enter on the location bar that I am familiar with, and it
    seems such a disaster that it does not work on Fx2 or Fx3 but Grisoft
    practically forced installation when your were told to update AVG Free at
    the end of May.

    --
    HTH,

  3. Re: FF3 RC1 not accepting keyboard input

    On 03.06.2008 22:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Traveller to
    generate the following:? :
    > Yesterday FF3 RC1 started acting up on me. When I try to enter data into
    > a form or an address into the address bar, I frequently have to hit the
    > letter keys multiple times to get a response. I can use cut-and-paste
    > with no problem, and I have no such problem with any other program, just
    > FF. Restarting FF made no difference. Haven't tried a reinstall, thought
    > I'd wait for RC2. Any ideas?
    >
    > Dave

    clean your keyboard!

    turn it with the keys DOWNWARDS
    knock the front edge, then the rear edge on your tabletop
    sweep the crumbs, dead rats and bird**** into a bag
    try typing again!

    You'll be surprised at what gets loosened, even if this treatment
    doesn't solve your problem!

    reg

  4. Re: FF3 RC1 not accepting keyboard input

    "squaredancer" wrote in message news:LoudnUiiUuasX9jVnZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 03.06.2008 22:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Traveller to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Yesterday FF3 RC1 started acting up on me. When I try to enter data into
    >> a form or an address into the address bar, I frequently have to hit the
    >> letter keys multiple times to get a response. I can use cut-and-paste
    >> with no problem, and I have no such problem with any other program, just
    >> FF. Restarting FF made no difference. Haven't tried a reinstall, thought
    >> I'd wait for RC2. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>

    > clean your keyboard!
    >
    > turn it with the keys DOWNWARDS
    > knock the front edge, then the rear edge on your tabletop
    > sweep the crumbs, dead rats and bird**** into a bag
    > try typing again!
    >
    > You'll be surprised at what gets loosened, even if this treatment
    > doesn't solve your problem!

    Oh, sticky keyboard, I sure misread that, trying to think how hitting
    multiple letters would free up Enter -- it wasn't referring to the inability
    to Enter.

  5. Re: FF3 RC1 not accepting keyboard input

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Traveller" wrote in message
    > news:ErCdnUl5gIMkOdjVnZ2dnUVZ_qTinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Yesterday FF3 RC1 started acting up on me. When I try to enter data
    >> into a form or an address into the address bar, I frequently have to
    >> hit the letter keys multiple times to get a response. I can use
    >> cut-and-paste with no problem, and I have no such problem with any
    >> other program, just FF. Restarting FF made no difference. Haven't
    >> tried a reinstall, thought I'd wait for RC2. Any ideas?

    > Hi Traveller,
    > Regardless of whether or not you think you installed it, check your
    > addons to see if you have "AVG Safe Search" extension installed.
    > Disable it if you do. And to prevent it from causing troubles with
    > new profiles, suggest completely removing it (there is no uninstall)
    > on your addons for it. See http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1338
    > Some additional information on my firefox.htm page.
    >
    > If that is not the problem, I have no other ideas because that is the only
    > loss of using Enter on the location bar that I am familiar with, and it
    > seems such a disaster that it does not work on Fx2 or Fx3 but Grisoft
    > practically forced installation when your were told to update AVG Free at
    > the end of May.

    How's this for weird? The problem seems to have been caused by an update
    to the FoxClocks add-on. Disabling it, restarting and then re-enabling
    it seems to have restored peace and harmony to FF. Can't think of any
    rational explanation, but it's working now, so I'm not complaining!
    FWIW, I don't have AVG at all, just AdBlock Plus, FoxClocks,
    ForecastFox, DownThemAll, FoxyTunes and Launchy.

  6. Re: FF3 RC1 not accepting keyboard input

    Traveller wrote:
    > David McRitchie wrote:
    >> "Traveller" wrote in message
    >> news:ErCdnUl5gIMkOdjVnZ2dnUVZ_qTinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>> Yesterday FF3 RC1 started acting up on me. When I try to enter data
    >>> into a form or an address into the address bar, I frequently have to
    >>> hit the letter keys multiple times to get a response. I can use
    >>> cut-and-paste with no problem, and I have no such problem with any
    >>> other program, just FF. Restarting FF made no difference. Haven't
    >>> tried a reinstall, thought I'd wait for RC2. Any ideas?

    >> Hi Traveller,
    >> Regardless of whether or not you think you installed it, check your
    >> addons to see if you have "AVG Safe Search" extension installed.
    >> Disable it if you do. And to prevent it from causing troubles with
    >> new profiles, suggest completely removing it (there is no uninstall)
    >> on your addons for it. See
    >> http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1338
    >> Some additional information on my firefox.htm page.
    >>
    >> If that is not the problem, I have no other ideas because that is the
    >> only
    >> loss of using Enter on the location bar that I am familiar with, and it
    >> seems such a disaster that it does not work on Fx2 or Fx3 but Grisoft
    >> practically forced installation when your were told to update AVG Free at
    >> the end of May.
    >>

    > How's this for weird? The problem seems to have been caused by an update
    > to the FoxClocks add-on. Disabling it, restarting and then re-enabling
    > it seems to have restored peace and harmony to FF. Can't think of any
    > rational explanation, but it's working now, so I'm not complaining!
    > FWIW, I don't have AVG at all, just AdBlock Plus, FoxClocks,
    > ForecastFox, DownThemAll, FoxyTunes and Launchy.

    Well, I was partly right. FoxClocks is definitely the culprit, but I
    have to leave it disabled in order to get proper keyboard function in
    FF. Strangely, Tbird is unaffected, even though FoxClocks is running
    there as well. Most annoying.

  7. Re: FF3 RC1 not accepting keyboard input

    Traveller wrote:
    > Traveller wrote:
    >> David McRitchie wrote:
    >>> "Traveller" wrote in message
    >>> news:ErCdnUl5gIMkOdjVnZ2dnUVZ_qTinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>>
    >>> Hi Traveller,
    >>> Regardless of whether or not you think you installed it, check your
    >>> addons to see if you have "AVG Safe Search" extension installed.
    >>> Disable it if you do. And to prevent it from causing troubles with
    >>> new profiles, suggest completely removing it (there is no uninstall)
    >>> on your addons for it. See
    >>> http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1338
    >>> Some additional information on my firefox.htm page.
    >>>
    >>> If that is not the problem, I have no other ideas because that is
    >>> the only
    >>> loss of using Enter on the location bar that I am familiar with, and it
    >>> seems such a disaster that it does not work on Fx2 or Fx3 but Grisoft
    >>> practically forced installation when your were told to update AVG
    >>> Free at
    >>> the end of May.
    >>>

    >> How's this for weird? The problem seems to have been caused by an
    >> update to the FoxClocks add-on. Disabling it, restarting and then
    >> re-enabling it seems to have restored peace and harmony to FF. Can't
    >> think of any rational explanation, but it's working now, so I'm not
    >> complaining! FWIW, I don't have AVG at all, just AdBlock Plus,
    >> FoxClocks, ForecastFox, DownThemAll, FoxyTunes and Launchy.

    > Well, I was partly right. FoxClocks is definitely the culprit, but I
    > have to leave it disabled in order to get proper keyboard function in
    > FF. Strangely, Tbird is unaffected, even though FoxClocks is running
    > there as well. Most annoying.

    Not strange at all, really.
    Foxclocks was designed to run on Firefox 2.0.0.14 or earlier, and may
    not have been updated to run on 3.0

    I realize it says 1.5 to 3.0* on the web, but the last update to this
    one was dated 28 February 2008 and there have been many changes in the
    3.0* (betas and RCs) since that date.

+ Reply to Thread