Junk Mail - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Junk Mail - Mozilla ; I have set Account Settings in TB 2.0.0.14 to "do not mark as junk" all messages from senders in my personal address book. Nevertheless, some of them end up in "trash". Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you....

  1. Junk Mail

    I have set Account Settings in TB 2.0.0.14 to "do not mark as junk" all
    messages from senders in my personal address book. Nevertheless, some
    of them end up in "trash". Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you.

  2. Re: Junk Mail

    Al wrote:
    > I have set Account Settings in TB 2.0.0.14 to "do not mark as junk" all
    > messages from senders in my personal address book. Nevertheless, some
    > of them end up in "trash". Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you.

    Do you really have Junk mail set to go to trash? I would suggest otherwise.

    Do you have any other filters that move items to the trash?

    The problem with sending junk or spam directly to the trash is that in
    the case of a problem (such as the one you are now experiencing) good
    messages end up in the trash. If you don't check and Thunderbird is set
    to automatically empty trash, you could inadvertently miss some good emails.

    I suggest a 'holding' folder that you can review prior to the messages
    being trashed. The default 'Junk' folder can be used for such.

  3. Re: Junk Mail

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Al wrote:
    >> I have set Account Settings in TB 2.0.0.14 to "do not mark as junk"
    >> all messages from senders in my personal address book. Nevertheless,
    >> some of them end up in "trash". Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you.

    > Do you really have Junk mail set to go to trash? I would suggest otherwise.
    >
    > Do you have any other filters that move items to the trash?
    >

    > The problem with sending junk or spam directly to the trash is that in
    > the case of a problem (such as the one you are now experiencing) good
    > messages end up in the trash. If you don't check and Thunderbird is set
    > to automatically empty trash, you could inadvertently miss some good
    > emails.
    >
    > I suggest a 'holding' folder that you can review prior to the messages
    > being trashed. The default 'Junk' folder can be used for such.

    Thanks. But what about my setting that nobody in my personal address
    book should be trashed? Is this a bug? I have NO filters that would
    cause this.

  4. Re: Junk Mail

    Al posted the following on 04-Jun-08 19:27:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Al wrote:
    >>> I have set Account Settings in TB 2.0.0.14 to "do not mark as junk"
    >>> all messages from senders in my personal address book. Nevertheless,
    >>> some of them end up in "trash". Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you.

    >> Do you really have Junk mail set to go to trash? I would suggest
    >> otherwise.
    >>
    >> Do you have any other filters that move items to the trash?
    >>

    >> The problem with sending junk or spam directly to the trash is that in
    >> the case of a problem (such as the one you are now experiencing) good
    >> messages end up in the trash. If you don't check and Thunderbird is
    >> set to automatically empty trash, you could inadvertently miss some
    >> good emails.
    >>
    >> I suggest a 'holding' folder that you can review prior to the messages
    >> being trashed. The default 'Junk' folder can be used for such.

    > Thanks. But what about my setting that nobody in my personal address
    > book should be trashed? Is this a bug? I have NO filters that would
    > cause this.

    I dunno how tb treats messages as junk; it could be keywords, content, etc.
    Does tb has a whitelist or safelist ?
    still best to move junk mail (using filters) to a junk folder instead of the
    trash folder
    you'd never know :-)

    --

    Windows XP SP3
    Thunderbird version 2.0.0.14 (with 25 extensions)

  5. Re: Junk Mail

    Al wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Al wrote:
    >>> I have set Account Settings in TB 2.0.0.14 to "do not mark as junk"
    >>> all messages from senders in my personal address book. Nevertheless,
    >>> some of them end up in "trash". Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you.

    >> Do you really have Junk mail set to go to trash? I would suggest
    >> otherwise.
    >>
    >> Do you have any other filters that move items to the trash?
    >>

    >> The problem with sending junk or spam directly to the trash is that in
    >> the case of a problem (such as the one you are now experiencing) good
    >> messages end up in the trash. If you don't check and Thunderbird is
    >> set to automatically empty trash, you could inadvertently miss some
    >> good emails.
    >>
    >> I suggest a 'holding' folder that you can review prior to the messages
    >> being trashed. The default 'Junk' folder can be used for such.

    > Thanks. But what about my setting that nobody in my personal address
    > book should be trashed? Is this a bug? I have NO filters that would
    > cause this.

    You have no filters at all?

    With regard to the ones that do end up in the trash
    Are they marked with the
    Thunderbird thinks this message is junk header?
    Does one address fail more than others, or is it random?
    Does one address always end up there?

    No, it is not a bug, because if it was, it would not only be you seeing
    it, others amongst the millions of users would see it as well.

  6. Re: Junk Mail

    Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > Al posted the following on 04-Jun-08 19:27:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Do you really have Junk mail set to go to trash? I would suggest
    >>> otherwise.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have any other filters that move items to the trash?
    >>>

    >>> The problem with sending junk or spam directly to the trash is that
    >>> in the case of a problem (such as the one you are now experiencing)
    >>> good messages end up in the trash. If you don't check and Thunderbird
    >>> is set to automatically empty trash, you could inadvertently miss
    >>> some good emails.
    >>>
    >>> I suggest a 'holding' folder that you can review prior to the
    >>> messages being trashed. The default 'Junk' folder can be used for such.

    >> Thanks. But what about my setting that nobody in my personal address
    >> book should be trashed? Is this a bug? I have NO filters that would
    >> cause this.

    > I dunno how tb treats messages as junk; it could be keywords, content, etc.
    > Does tb has a whitelist or safelist ?
    > still best to move junk mail (using filters) to a junk folder instead of
    > the trash folder
    > you'd never know :-)

    Thunderbird uses a Baysien filter system which learns as it goes along.
    In most situations, additional filters are NOT needed (and may impair
    functionality of Junk Mail Controls).

  7. Re: Junk Mail

    On 04.06.2008 13:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Al to generate
    the following:? :
    > I have set Account Settings in TB 2.0.0.14 to "do not mark as junk" all
    > messages from senders in my personal address book. Nevertheless, some
    > of them end up in "trash". Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you.

    miss-spelling??

    reg is NOT the same as Reg, nor is squaredancer the same as Squaredancer.
    Also, a *verry common* mistake is having a comma in the address, instead
    of a full stop (aka a period).

    You should take the time to collect false positives, check them for
    regularity and - in any case - check the junk against your address book!
    If the false positive is regular (same sender several times) simply
    RIGHT click the sender address (in the junkmail header) and select "Add
    to Addressbook"

    reg

  8. Re: Junk Mail

    on 6/4/08 7:27 AM Al said the following:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Al wrote:
    >>> I have set Account Settings in TB 2.0.0.14 to "do not mark as junk"
    >>> all messages from senders in my personal address book. Nevertheless,
    >>> some of them end up in "trash". Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you.

    >> Do you really have Junk mail set to go to trash? I would suggest
    >> otherwise.
    >>
    >> Do you have any other filters that move items to the trash?
    >>

    >> The problem with sending junk or spam directly to the trash is that in
    >> the case of a problem (such as the one you are now experiencing) good
    >> messages end up in the trash. If you don't check and Thunderbird is
    >> set to automatically empty trash, you could inadvertently miss some
    >> good emails.
    >>
    >> I suggest a 'holding' folder that you can review prior to the messages
    >> being trashed. The default 'Junk' folder can be used for such.

    > Thanks. But what about my setting that nobody in my personal address
    > book should be trashed? Is this a bug? I have NO filters that would
    > cause this.

    Maybe you accidentally junked one of his emails? If the email is trash,
    is it marked as Junk? can you unmark it? If nothing works, reset your
    Junk mail function.

+ Reply to Thread