Scams - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Scams - Mozilla ; A software company e-mails me regularly and TB (2.0.014) always puts up "Thunderbird thinks this may be an e-mail scam". I always click "Not a scam" but it keeps doing it. Should it not have stopped?...

  1. Scams

    A software company e-mails me regularly and TB (2.0.014) always puts up
    "Thunderbird thinks this may be an e-mail scam". I always click "Not a
    scam" but it keeps doing it. Should it not have stopped?

  2. Re: Scams

    Martin Edwards wrote:
    > A software company e-mails me regularly and TB (2.0.014) always puts up
    > "Thunderbird thinks this may be an e-mail scam". I always click "Not a
    > scam" but it keeps doing it. Should it not have stopped?

    I have experienced the same frustration. I finally had to go into
    "Tools> Options> Privacy> Email Scams" and uncheck the anti-scam feature.

  3. Re: Scams

    On 04-06-2008 09:10 CET, Traveller composed this enchanting statement:
    > Martin Edwards wrote:
    >> A software company e-mails me regularly and TB (2.0.014) always puts
    >> up "Thunderbird thinks this may be an e-mail scam". I always click
    >> "Not a scam" but it keeps doing it. Should it not have stopped?

    > I have experienced the same frustration. I finally had to go into
    > "Tools> Options> Privacy> Email Scams" and uncheck the anti-scam feature.

    That is the only option available to avoid the scam claim, unfortunately.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  4. Re: Scams

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 04-06-2008 09:10 CET, Traveller composed this enchanting statement:
    >> Martin Edwards wrote:
    >>> A software company e-mails me regularly and TB (2.0.014) always puts
    >>> up "Thunderbird thinks this may be an e-mail scam". I always click
    >>> "Not a scam" but it keeps doing it. Should it not have stopped?

    >> I have experienced the same frustration. I finally had to go into
    >> "Tools> Options> Privacy> Email Scams" and uncheck the anti-scam feature.

    > That is the only option available to avoid the scam claim, unfortunately.

    Yeah, it's basically a worthless feature, because there is no training
    going on.

  5. Re: Scams

    Tarkus posted the following on 04-Jun-08 17:41:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have experienced the same frustration. I finally had to go into
    >>> "Tools> Options> Privacy> Email Scams" and uncheck the anti-scam
    >>> feature.

    >> That is the only option available to avoid the scam claim, unfortunately.

    > Yeah, it's basically a worthless feature, because there is no training
    > going on.

    it would be interesting to know who is maintaining the database of scam mails :-)

    I got some to submit

    --

    Windows XP SP3
    Thunderbird version 2.0.0.14 (with 25 extensions)

  6. Re: Scams

    On 04.06.2008 05:57, Sul@Mozilla wrote:

    > Tarkus posted the following on 04-Jun-08 17:41:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>> On 04-06-2008 09:10 CET, Traveller composed this enchanting statement:

    >>> That is the only option available to avoid the scam claim, unfortunately.

    >> Yeah, it's basically a worthless feature, because there is no training
    >> going on.

    > it would be interesting to know who is maintaining the database of scam mails :-)
    >
    > I got some to submit

    There is no database. Each incoming message is scanned looking for
    certain words and phrases that fit a pattern relative to scam mails. You
    can turn the feature off and rely on your own judgement to determine if
    you really DO have an account at Bank of America or PayPal for instance.
    You would simply be amazed at the number of users respond to these
    emails and provide all of their account information only to find out
    days later that their account(s) have been raped. The feature isn't for
    YOU and ME, it's for the "other" guy. :-)

    It's similar to a forum dirty word censor.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  7. Re: Scams

    Traveller wrote:
    > Martin Edwards wrote:
    >> A software company e-mails me regularly and TB (2.0.014) always puts
    >> up "Thunderbird thinks this may be an e-mail scam". I always click
    >> "Not a scam" but it keeps doing it. Should it not have stopped?

    > I have experienced the same frustration. I finally had to go into
    > "Tools> Options> Privacy> Email Scams" and uncheck the anti-scam feature.

    Thanks

  8. Re: Scams

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 04.06.2008 05:57, Sul@Mozilla wrote:

    Thanks to all who replied.

  9. Re: Scams

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 04.06.2008 05:57, Sul@Mozilla wrote:

    Actually, the SCAM feature only looks for two things

    One is the use of numberical IPs instead of 'name' IPs
    i.e.
    12.123.133.123 instead of links.nobodyowns.com

    The other is that the links used in the source don't match those in the
    text.
    i.e.
    In the text it says http:www.banksecure.com but the source points to
    http:www.chinaserver.banksecure.com

    Every time a message is opened (yes Virginia, every durn time!) it is
    scanned by the SCAM feature. The only way to defeat this is to mark the
    message using the "Not a Scam" button. This adds a header to the message
    so the SCAM feature will not scan it in the future. The 'not a scam' is
    message specific, only that specific message is so marked, duplicates or
    copies are not.

    As others have stated, your control is to simply turn the feature off.

  10. Re: Scams

    Jay Garcia posted the following on 04-Jun-08 18:20:
    > On 04.06.2008 05:57, Sul@Mozilla wrote:

    :-)

    I love responding to Bank America or Paypal asking for my login and password
    though Norton's always warn me about the site purporting to be a legal site;

    just in case anyone is interested; here are my details

    login : Howisyourmomtoday?
    password : tellherthatIthinksheisgreatonbed

    --

    Windows XP SP3
    Thunderbird version 2.0.0.14 (with 25 extensions)

  11. Re: Scams

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > One is the use of numberical IPs instead of 'name' IPs

    numberical? How did that get past spellcheck?

    numerical

  12. Re: Scams

    On 04.06.2008 14:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Sul@Mozilla to
    generate the following:? :
    > Jay Garcia posted the following on 04-Jun-08 18:20:
    >
    >> On 04.06.2008 05:57, Sul@Mozilla wrote:

    my user name is "Frederico Pisces" (Fred Fish) and - how could it be
    otherwise....
    fishy

    reg

  13. Re: Scams

    squaredancer posted the following on 04-Jun-08 20:53:
    > On 04.06.2008 14:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Sul@Mozilla to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Jay Garcia posted the following on 04-Jun-08 18:20:
    >>
    >>> On 04.06.2008 05:57, Sul@Mozilla wrote:

    :-)

    I like your username and password
    think I will use them in the next mail that I receive from paypal or is it palpay?

  14. Re: Scams

    Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > I love responding to Bank America or Paypal asking for my login and
    > password though Norton's always warn me about the site purporting to
    > be a legal site;
    >
    > just in case anyone is interested; here are my details
    >
    > login : Howisyourmomtoday?
    > password : tellherthatIthinksheisgreatonbed

    Ha! My password is tellherthatIthinksheisgreatinbed! Who would thunk it!
    :-)
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    As I always say "I never repeat myself"

  15. Re: Scams

    Andrew DeFaria posted the following on 04-Jun-08 21:47:
    > Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    >> I love responding to Bank America or Paypal asking for my login and
    >> password though Norton's always warn me about the site purporting to
    >> be a legal site;
    >>
    >> just in case anyone is interested; here are my details
    >>
    >> login : Howisyourmomtoday?
    >> password : tellherthatIthinksheisgreatonbed

    > Ha! My password is tellherthatIthinksheisgreatinbed! Who would thunk it!
    > :-)
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > As I always say "I never repeat myself"

    ehhh................
    I got plenty of other usernames and passwords which are unprintable :-)

    --

    Windows XP SP3
    Firefox | Thunder version 2.0.0.14

  16. Re: Scams

    On 06/04/2008 06:39 AM Moz Champion (Dan) scribbled:

    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> One is the use of numberical IPs instead of 'name' IPs

    > numberical? How did that get past spellcheck?
    >
    > numerical

    didn't get by mine here, though it got by my eyes ...

+ Reply to Thread