Moving TB's folders to external HD? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Moving TB's folders to external HD? - Mozilla ; I'm looking at ways to open up some space on my crowded internal HD. The two big space hogs are Altium Designer (CAE program, altium.com) and TB. The former because it's simply a huge program, the latter because I have ...

  1. Moving TB's folders to external HD?

    I'm looking at ways to open up some space on my crowded internal HD. The
    two big space hogs are Altium Designer (CAE program, altium.com) and TB.
    The former because it's simply a huge program, the latter because I have
    accumulated a lot of emails since I started using TB (version 0.3? was
    there a v0.3?). I don't want to delete the old stuff because I sometimes
    need to refer to a years-old email from a customer.

    Is there an easy way to move all the TB Mail and News folders to an
    external HD and have TB play nice with it? WinXP.

    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

  2. Re: Moving TB's folders to external HD?

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel posted the following on 04-Jun-08 04:53:
    > I'm looking at ways to open up some space on my crowded internal HD. The
    > two big space hogs are Altium Designer (CAE program, altium.com) and TB.
    > The former because it's simply a huge program, the latter because I have
    > accumulated a lot of emails since I started using TB (version 0.3? was
    > there a v0.3?). I don't want to delete the old stuff because I sometimes
    > need to refer to a years-old email from a customer.
    >
    > Is there an easy way to move all the TB Mail and News folders to an
    > external HD and have TB play nice with it? WinXP.

    MozBackup
    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

    From the site;
    MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla
    Thunderbird, Mozilla Sunbird, Flock, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite, Spicebird and
    Netscape profiles.

    It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail, contacts, history,
    extensions, cache etc. It's an easy way to do Firefox backup, Thunderbird backup ...

  3. Re: Moving TB's folders to external HD?

    On 6/3/2008 4:24 PM Sul@Mozilla wrote:

    > Mike Rocket J Squirrel posted the following on 04-Jun-08 04:53:
    >> I'm looking at ways to open up some space on my crowded internal HD. The
    >> two big space hogs are Altium Designer (CAE program, altium.com) and TB.
    >> The former because it's simply a huge program, the latter because I have
    >> accumulated a lot of emails since I started using TB (version 0.3? was
    >> there a v0.3?). I don't want to delete the old stuff because I sometimes
    >> need to refer to a years-old email from a customer.
    >>
    >> Is there an easy way to move all the TB Mail and News folders to an
    >> external HD and have TB play nice with it? WinXP.
    >>

    > MozBackup
    > http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
    >
    > From the site;
    > MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla
    > Thunderbird, Mozilla Sunbird, Flock, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite, Spicebird and
    > Netscape profiles.
    >
    > It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail, contacts, history,
    > extensions, cache etc. It's an easy way to do Firefox backup, Thunderbird backup ...

    Thank you, Sul. I don't want to back up the folders, I want to move them
    and have TB work with them in their new location.

    --
    Mike RJS

  4. Re: Moving TB's folders to external HD?

    mike elliott posted the following on 04-Jun-08 07:56:
    > On 6/3/2008 4:24 PM Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Rocket J Squirrel posted the following on 04-Jun-08 04:53:
    >>> I'm looking at ways to open up some space on my crowded internal HD.
    >>> The two big space hogs are Altium Designer (CAE program, altium.com)
    >>> and TB. The former because it's simply a huge program, the latter
    >>> because I have accumulated a lot of emails since I started using TB
    >>> (version 0.3? was there a v0.3?). I don't want to delete the old
    >>> stuff because I sometimes need to refer to a years-old email from a
    >>> customer.
    >>>
    >>> Is there an easy way to move all the TB Mail and News folders to an
    >>> external HD and have TB play nice with it? WinXP.
    >>>

    >> MozBackup
    >> http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
    >>
    >> From the site;
    >> MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox,
    >> Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Sunbird, Flock, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite,
    >> Spicebird and Netscape profiles.
    >>
    >> It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail, contacts,
    >> history, extensions, cache etc. It's an easy way to do Firefox backup,
    >> Thunderbird backup ...
    >>

    > Thank you, Sul. I don't want to back up the folders, I want to move them
    > and have TB work with them in their new location.

    I thought that you need to move your TB mail and News folders to a bigger disk ?
    not sure how to point TB to use the new location though

    --

    Windows XP SP3
    Thunderbird version 2.0.0.14

  5. Re: Moving TB's folders to external HD?

    On 6/3/2008 6:02 PM Sul@Mozilla wrote:

    > mike elliott posted the following on 04-Jun-08 07:56:
    >> On 6/3/2008 4:24 PM Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mike Rocket J Squirrel posted the following on 04-Jun-08 04:53:

    >>> MozBackup
    >>> http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
    >>>
    >>> From the site;
    >>> MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox,
    >>> Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Sunbird, Flock, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite,
    >>> Spicebird and Netscape profiles.
    >>>
    >>> It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail, contacts,
    >>> history, extensions, cache etc. It's an easy way to do Firefox backup,
    >>> Thunderbird backup ...
    >>>

    >> Thank you, Sul. I don't want to back up the folders, I want to move them
    >> and have TB work with them in their new location.
    >>

    > I thought that you need to move your TB mail and News folders to a bigger disk ?
    > not sure how to point TB to use the new location though

    Yes, it's true: I do want to move my TB mail and News folders to a bigger
    disk and point TB to use the new location.

    --
    Mike RJS

  6. Re: Moving TB's folders to external HD?

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
    > I'm looking at ways to open up some space on my crowded internal HD. The
    > two big space hogs are Altium Designer (CAE program, altium.com) and TB.
    > The former because it's simply a huge program, the latter because I have
    > accumulated a lot of emails since I started using TB (version 0.3? was
    > there a v0.3?). I don't want to delete the old stuff because I sometimes
    > need to refer to a years-old email from a customer.
    >
    > Is there an easy way to move all the TB Mail and News folders to an
    > external HD and have TB play nice with it? WinXP.

    See this article:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_you...Thunderbird%29

    --
    Alex K.

  7. Re: Moving TB's folders to external HD?

    *-* On Tue, 03 Jun 2008, at 21:45:33 -0700,
    *-* In Article dKqdnVrHndRygNvVnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* mike elliott wrote
    *-* About

    > On 6/3/2008 6:02 PM Sul@Mozilla wrote:

    >> mike elliott posted the following on 04-Jun-08 07:56:

    >>> Thank you, Sul. I don't want to back up the folders, I want to
    >>> move them and have TB work with them in their new location.

    >> I thought that you need to move your TB mail and News folders to a
    >> bigger disk ?
    >> not sure how to point TB to use the new location though

    > Yes, it's true: I do want to move my TB mail and News folders to a
    > bigger disk and point TB to use the new location.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_you..._-_Thunderbird

    If you want to move the entire profile and not just the Mail and
    News folders:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152