Applying Filters in Thunderbird - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Applying Filters in Thunderbird - Mozilla ; I've just installed the latest Thunderbird release as I'm getting tired of how Windows Mail handles it's filter. I have created about 5 or so rules and enabled them but I want to apply the rules to messages that I ...

  1. Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    I've just installed the latest Thunderbird release as I'm getting tired of
    how Windows Mail handles it's filter. I have created about 5 or so rules and
    enabled them but I want to apply the rules to messages that I have already
    downloaded. I have used google to search for a guide but it's quite old and
    the equivalent menu item in the current version 'Run filters on folder' is
    greyed out.

    Failing that, is there a way to reset the newsgroups like you can in Windows
    Mail so that all of the messages are deleted and then re-downloaded so that
    the filters will be applied? Unsubscibing & re-subscribing makes no
    difference.

    TIA

    Dave

  2. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    Dave posted the following on 03-Jun-08 20:10:
    > I've just installed the latest Thunderbird release as I'm getting tired
    > of how Windows Mail handles it's filter. I have created about 5 or so
    > rules and enabled them but I want to apply the rules to messages that I
    > have already downloaded. I have used google to search for a guide but
    > it's quite old and the equivalent menu item in the current version 'Run
    > filters on folder' is greyed out.
    >
    > Failing that, is there a way to reset the newsgroups like you can in
    > Windows Mail so that all of the messages are deleted and then
    > re-downloaded so that the filters will be applied? Unsubscibing &
    > re-subscribing makes no difference.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dave

    AFAIK, filters work only on postings that are yet to be downloaded; does not
    apply to posts already downloaded

    as for resetting, try the server settings or delete the account and recreate the
    account

    --

    Windows XP SP3
    Firefox version 2.0.0.14

  3. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    Dave wrote:
    > I've just installed the latest Thunderbird release as I'm getting tired
    > of how Windows Mail handles it's filter. I have created about 5 or so
    > rules and enabled them but I want to apply the rules to messages that I
    > have already downloaded. I have used google to search for a guide but
    > it's quite old and the equivalent menu item in the current version 'Run
    > filters on folder' is greyed out.

    If your messages are in a folder already under TB, then you can run the
    filters on that folder... there is a "run now" button at the bottom of
    the filter screen and a drop down where you select the folder to run
    against..

    Hopefully I explained this correctly... and it is what you are looking
    to accomplish

    --

    Al
    http://www.sunisedoors.com

  4. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    On 06/03/2008 07:06 AM Al scribbled:

    > Dave wrote:
    >> I've just installed the latest Thunderbird release as I'm getting tired
    >> of how Windows Mail handles it's filter. I have created about 5 or so
    >> rules and enabled them but I want to apply the rules to messages that I
    >> have already downloaded. I have used google to search for a guide but
    >> it's quite old and the equivalent menu item in the current version 'Run
    >> filters on folder' is greyed out.
    >>

    > If your messages are in a folder already under TB, then you can run the
    > filters on that folder... there is a "run now" button at the bottom of
    > the filter screen and a drop down where you select the folder to run
    > against..

    this has never worked for me - that choice, as Dave pointed out, is
    greyed out - one cannot filter on messages already downloaded. Someone
    else here may know what that Run filters command is for.

    > Hopefully I explained this correctly... and it is what you are looking
    > to accomplish

    As for resetting the messages to redownload, easiest way I know is to
    delete the related .rc file within the profile>news folder (hidden). It
    will regenerate.

  5. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    goodwin wrote:
    > On 06/03/2008 07:06 AM Al scribbled:
    >
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>> I've just installed the latest Thunderbird release as I'm getting tired
    >>> of how Windows Mail handles it's filter. I have created about 5 or so
    >>> rules and enabled them but I want to apply the rules to messages that I
    >>> have already downloaded. I have used google to search for a guide but
    >>> it's quite old and the equivalent menu item in the current version 'Run
    >>> filters on folder' is greyed out.
    >>>

    >> If your messages are in a folder already under TB, then you can run the
    >> filters on that folder... there is a "run now" button at the bottom of
    >> the filter screen and a drop down where you select the folder to run
    >> against..

    > this has never worked for me - that choice, as Dave pointed out, is
    > greyed out - one cannot filter on messages already downloaded. Someone
    > else here may know what that Run filters command is for.

    Not sure why it is not working for you, but it works for me.. as a
    matter of fact it worked a few minutes before I responded as I had to
    set up a filter for a email address for an incoming client Email. The
    email ended up in the junk folder, so I created a filter and then ran it
    on the junk folder and it moved the email to the correct folder

    --

    Al
    http://www.sunisedoors.com

  6. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    Al posted the following on 03-Jun-08 21:58:
    > goodwin wrote:

    >>> If your messages are in a folder already under TB, then you can run
    >>> the filters on that folder... there is a "run now" button at the
    >>> bottom of the filter screen and a drop down where you select the
    >>> folder to run against..

    >> this has never worked for me - that choice, as Dave pointed out, is
    >> greyed out - one cannot filter on messages already downloaded. Someone
    >> else here may know what that Run filters command is for.

    > Not sure why it is not working for you, but it works for me.. as a
    > matter of fact it worked a few minutes before I responded as I had to
    > set up a filter for a email address for an incoming client Email. The
    > email ended up in the junk folder, so I created a filter and then ran it
    > on the junk folder and it moved the email to the correct folder

    I think the original poster was referring to newsgroups instead of emails' filters

    --

    Windows XP SP3
    Thunderbird version 2.0.0.14

  7. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    > Al posted the following on 03-Jun-08 21:58:
    >> goodwin wrote:
    >>> On 06/03/2008 07:06 AM Al scribbled:

    >>> this has never worked for me - that choice, as Dave pointed out, is
    >>> greyed out - one cannot filter on messages already downloaded. Someone
    >>> else here may know what that Run filters command is for.

    >> Not sure why it is not working for you, but it works for me.. as a
    >> matter of fact it worked a few minutes before I responded as I had to
    >> set up a filter for a email address for an incoming client Email. The
    >> email ended up in the junk folder, so I created a filter and then ran
    >> it on the junk folder and it moved the email to the correct folder
    >>

    > I think the original poster was referring to newsgroups instead of
    > emails' filters

    Perhaps... looked like 2 questions to me.. perhaps the poster will
    respond with a clarification

    --

    Al
    http://www.sunisedoors.com

  8. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    "Al" wrote in message
    news:44qdnWKKDfl559jVnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    >> Al posted the following on 03-Jun-08 21:58:

    >>> Not sure why it is not working for you, but it works for me.. as a
    >>> matter of fact it worked a few minutes before I responded as I had to
    >>> set up a filter for a email address for an incoming client Email. The
    >>> email ended up in the junk folder, so I created a filter and then ran it
    >>> on the junk folder and it moved the email to the correct folder
    >>>

    >> I think the original poster was referring to newsgroups instead of
    >> emails' filters
    >>

    > Perhaps... looked like 2 questions to me.. perhaps the poster will respond
    > with a clarification

    Newsgroups

  9. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    Dave wrote:

    > "Al" wrote in message
    > news:44qdnWKKDfl559jVnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    >>> Al posted the following on 03-Jun-08 21:58:

    >>> I think the original poster was referring to newsgroups instead of
    >>> emails' filters
    >>>

    >> Perhaps... looked like 2 questions to me.. perhaps the poster will
    >> respond with a clarification

    > Newsgroups

    Now it is clear

    --

    Al
    http://www.sunisedoors.com

  10. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    Dave keyboarded, On 6/3/2008 5:24 PM :

    > "Al" wrote in message
    > news:44qdnWKKDfl559jVnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Sul@Mozilla wrote:
    >>> Al posted the following on 03-Jun-08 21:58:

    >>> I think the original poster was referring to newsgroups instead of
    >>> emails' filters
    >>>

    >> Perhaps... looked like 2 questions to me.. perhaps the poster will
    >> respond with a clarification

    > Newsgroups

    Tb can not run filters on headers downloaded from a prior news reading
    session. The workaround is unsubscribe and then resubscribe to the same
    groups, then the filters will work.

    It has been a long standing bug to add the "Run Filters On Folder" from
    e-mail accounts to also work with news accounts. Not even the
    development trunk has this yet, though it is wanted for Tb 3.0. Trunk
    filter priorities are to get the enhanced filtering added first.

    --
    Ron K.

  11. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    Al posted the following on 04-Jun-08 05:09:
    > Dave wrote:
    >>
    >> "Al" wrote in message
    >> news:44qdnWKKDfl559jVnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> Perhaps... looked like 2 questions to me.. perhaps the poster will
    >>> respond with a clarification

    >> Newsgroups

    > Now it is clear

    I was trying to find the a solution to the same problem

  12. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Dave keyboarded, On 6/3/2008 5:24 PM :
    >>
    >> "Al" wrote in message
    >> news:44qdnWKKDfl559jVnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> Perhaps... looked like 2 questions to me.. perhaps the poster will
    >>> respond with a clarification

    >> Newsgroups

    > Tb can not run filters on headers downloaded from a prior news reading
    > session. The workaround is unsubscribe and then resubscribe to the same
    > groups, then the filters will work.
    >
    > It has been a long standing bug to add the "Run Filters On Folder" from
    > e-mail accounts to also work with news accounts. Not even the
    > development trunk has this yet, though it is wanted for Tb 3.0. Trunk
    > filter priorities are to get the enhanced filtering added first.

    OP said unsubscribing and resubscribing didn't work for him...

    once unsubscribed... you must go into your profile open news.mozilla.org
    and delete both the .msf and .dat files associated with the newsgroups
    you want to re-filter...

    someone else may know if the news.mozilla.org.rc file also holds data
    that must be deleted...

    --
    "Think twice before burdening a friend with a secret"
    ~ Marlene Deitrich

    * TagZilla 0.066-bw2
    * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

  13. Re: Applying Filters in Thunderbird

    sean.bean@wizard.net keyboarded, On 6/4/2008 11:02 AM :
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Dave keyboarded, On 6/3/2008 5:24 PM :
    >>>
    >>> "Al" wrote in message
    >>> news:44qdnWKKDfl559jVnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> Newsgroups

    >> Tb can not run filters on headers downloaded from a prior news
    >> reading session. The workaround is unsubscribe and then resubscribe
    >> to the same groups, then the filters will work.
    >>
    >> It has been a long standing bug to add the "Run Filters On Folder"
    >> from e-mail accounts to also work with news accounts. Not even the
    >> development trunk has this yet, though it is wanted for Tb 3.0.
    >> Trunk filter priorities are to get the enhanced filtering added first.
    >>

    > OP said unsubscribing and resubscribing didn't work for him...
    >
    > once unsubscribed... you must go into your profile open
    > news.mozilla.org and delete both the .msf and .dat files associated
    > with the newsgroups you want to re-filter...
    >
    > someone else may know if the news.mozilla.org.rc file also holds data
    > that must be deleted...
    >

    > --
    > "Think twice before burdening a friend with a secret"
    > ~ Marlene Deitrich
    >
    > * TagZilla 0.066-bw2
    > * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

    The associated RC file is a list of subscribed groups and only needs
    editing in a text editor in cases of message counts not syncing with
    what has actually been read.

    --
    Ron K.