How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windows starts? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windows starts? - Mozilla ; New to this forum, and got only a week's worth of topics. I have recently migrated Thunderbird from XP to Vista, but I still use the XP workstation and want to keep Thunderbird on it, but I don't want it ...

  1. How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windows starts?

    New to this forum, and got only a week's worth of topics.

    I have recently migrated Thunderbird from XP to Vista, but I still use
    the XP workstation and want to keep Thunderbird on it, but I don't want
    it to start each time at boot up.

    Can someone tell me how to prevent Thunderbird from starting when
    Windows starts in WinXP ? I have looked in the registry, in the
    profiles.ini and in the Thunderbird help section.

    Also, how to set it up to start when Vista starts?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    Dave Olson wrote:
    > New to this forum, and got only a week's worth of topics.
    >
    > I have recently migrated Thunderbird from XP to Vista, but I still use
    > the XP workstation and want to keep Thunderbird on it, but I don't
    > want it to start each time at boot up.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to prevent Thunderbird from starting when
    > Windows starts in WinXP ? I have looked in the registry, in the
    > profiles.ini and in the Thunderbird help section.
    >
    > Also, how to set it up to start when Vista starts?

    This has nothing to to with Thunderbird. It has to do with how
    applications are started at start up in XP and Vista. There are several
    places. One such place you didn't mention was the actual start up group
    (i.e. Start: All Programs: Startup).

    You said you checked the registry. Where exactly did you look? Key please?

    Don't know why you checked profiles.ini nor what that has to do with
    starting an application at Windows startup.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Why is it called "after dark" when it really is "after light"?

  3. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    Dave Olson wrote:
    > New to this forum, and got only a week's worth of topics.
    >
    > I have recently migrated Thunderbird from XP to Vista, but I still use
    > the XP workstation and want to keep Thunderbird on it, but I don't want
    > it to start each time at boot up.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to prevent Thunderbird from starting when
    > Windows starts in WinXP ? I have looked in the registry, in the
    > profiles.ini and in the Thunderbird help section.
    >
    > Also, how to set it up to start when Vista starts?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Look under Start -> All Programs. That's where the startup programs for
    an individual user are typically put. (Maybe even by you.)

    -- Jeff Barnett

  4. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    The date and time was 6/2/2008 9:15 PM, and on a whim, Dave Olson
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > New to this forum, and got only a week's worth of topics.
    >
    > I have recently migrated Thunderbird from XP to Vista, but I still use
    > the XP workstation and want to keep Thunderbird on it, but I don't want
    > it to start each time at boot up.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to prevent Thunderbird from starting when
    > Windows starts in WinXP ? I have looked in the registry, in the
    > profiles.ini and in the Thunderbird help section.
    >
    > Also, how to set it up to start when Vista starts?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi Dave,

    As others stated, the Startup "folder" is most likely where the shortcut
    to TB was placed, so it would launch when Windows was started. You can
    navigate to the folder by clicking Start, All Programs, Startup. Then
    let the folder display it's contents. Move the cursor to the TB
    shortcut and let the cursor focus on it (it will change color), then
    right-click on it and select Delete.

    Once you install TB in Vista, you can either drag the Desktop icon to
    the same Startup folder (use right-click and drag as it will always
    prompt you on whether to Move or Copy), or right click on the Startup
    folder and select Explore. Then you can drag a Desktop icon onto the
    Explorer window. You may have to set UAC to allow it to launch.

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    If you want to stop anything from startup programs Group then I suggest
    the following:

    1) Start, Run.
    type MSCONFIG /ALL in the run box

    2) In the dialog box that opens, click on Startup

    3) Look for Thunderbird in the list. Remove the check mark from the box

    4) Click OK

    In order for these changes to take effect, you need to restart your
    system. Do it now and when you get a box saying that your system has
    changed, put check mark in the box so that it does not keep notifying
    you again.

    hth

    Dave Olson wrote:

    > New to this forum, and got only a week's worth of topics.
    >
    > I have recently migrated Thunderbird from XP to Vista, but I still use
    > the XP workstation and want to keep Thunderbird on it, but I don't
    > want it to start each time at boot up.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to prevent Thunderbird from starting when
    > Windows starts in WinXP ? I have looked in the registry, in the
    > profiles.ini and in the Thunderbird help section.
    >
    > Also, how to set it up to start when Vista starts?
    >
    > Thanks.

  6. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    The date and time was 6/3/2008 8:39 AM, and on a whim, ANONYMOUS pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > If you want to stop anything from startup programs Group then I suggest
    > the following:
    >
    > 1) Start, Run.
    > type MSCONFIG /ALL in the run box
    >
    > 2) In the dialog box that opens, click on Startup
    >
    > 3) Look for Thunderbird in the list. Remove the check mark from the box
    >
    > 4) Click OK
    >
    > In order for these changes to take effect, you need to restart your
    > system. Do it now and when you get a box saying that your system has
    > changed, put check mark in the box so that it does not keep notifying
    > you again.
    >
    > hth
    >

    > Dave Olson wrote:
    >
    >> New to this forum, and got only a week's worth of topics.
    >>
    >> I have recently migrated Thunderbird from XP to Vista, but I still use
    >> the XP workstation and want to keep Thunderbird on it, but I don't
    >> want it to start each time at boot up.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me how to prevent Thunderbird from starting when
    >> Windows starts in WinXP ? I have looked in the registry, in the
    >> profiles.ini and in the Thunderbird help section.
    >>
    >> Also, how to set it up to start when Vista starts?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    MSCONFIG is for diagnostic use, not a permanent solution. Better to use
    Autoruns. It allows deletion of the entries, as well as disabling for
    testing.

    Terry R.

  7. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    "Terry R." wrote:

    > MSCONFIG is for diagnostic use, not a permanent solution. Better to use
    > Autoruns. It allows deletion of the entries, as well as disabling for
    > testing.
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx

    MsConfig a configuration tool [MS configuration] . I never said the
    configurations will be permanent but I implied that the changes will remain
    permanent until changed not otherwise!.

    The OP wants to keep Thunderbird on the system and so removing from StartUp is
    the best option.

    Hope this helps.

  8. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    The date and time was 6/3/2008 9:39 AM, and on a whim, ANONYMOUS pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > "Terry R." wrote:
    >
    >> MSCONFIG is for diagnostic use, not a permanent solution. Better to use
    >> Autoruns. It allows deletion of the entries, as well as disabling for
    >> testing.
    >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx
    >>

    > MsConfig a configuration tool [MS configuration] . I never said the
    > configurations will be permanent but I implied that the changes will remain
    > permanent until changed not otherwise!.
    >
    > The OP wants to keep Thunderbird on the system and so removing from StartUp is
    > the best option.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    I'm fully aware of what MSCONFIG is. And it's called the System
    Configuration Tool. It shouldn't be used in the instance the OP wanted.
    Unchecking it from the Startup Folder only moves it to a registry
    location instead. The OP wants to remove it from launching on Startup
    permanently, not as a temporary fix. So he needs to delete the shortcut
    from the Startup Folder, something that is easier accomplished by just
    navigating to the folder in All Programs, right clicking and selecting
    Delete. No nag dialog from MSCONFIG on restart, no forgetting it was
    removed as a diagnostic measure. Just gone.

    follow up set to mozilla.general

    --
    Terry R.

  9. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start whenWindowsstarts?

    On Jun 3, 5:03 pm, "Terry R." wrote:
    > The date and time was 6/3/2008 9:39 AM, and on a whim, ANONYMOUS pounded
    > out on the keyboard:
    >

    > > "Terry R." wrote:

    > >> MSCONFIG is for diagnostic use, not a permanent solution. Better to use
    > >> Autoruns. It allows deletion of the entries, as well as disabling for
    > >> testing.
    > >>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx

    > > MsConfig a configuration tool [MS configuration] . I never said the
    > > configurations will be permanent but I implied that the changes will remain
    > > permanent until changed not otherwise!.

    > > The OP wants to keep Thunderbird on the system and so removing from StartUp is
    > > the best option.

    > > Hope this helps.

    > I'm fully aware of what MSCONFIG is. And it's called the System
    > Configuration Tool. It shouldn't be used in the instance the OP wanted.
    > Unchecking it from the Startup Folder only moves it to a registry
    > location instead. The OP wants to remove it from launching on Startup
    > permanently, not as a temporary fix. So he needs to delete the shortcut
    > from the Startup Folder, something that is easier accomplished by just
    > navigating to the folder in All Programs, right clicking and selecting
    > Delete. No nag dialog from MSCONFIG on restart, no forgetting it was
    > removed as a diagnostic measure. Just gone.
    >
    > follow up set to mozilla.general
    >
    > --
    > Terry R.
    > Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    > Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

    Windows has a number of mechanisms for starting programs automatically
    after reboot. There is a utility called "autoruns" (search for it on
    the microsoft site) that allows you to find everything that starts up
    automatically on your machine regardless of which mechanism is used
    and
    to enable or disable it with a simple check box. Unchecking the box
    disables the startup, but does not remove the links so you can re-
    check
    the box if you realize you really needed the program to start
    automatically.

    HTH,
    Gabor

  10. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    ANONYMOUS wrote:
    > If you want to stop anything from startup programs Group then I
    > suggest the following:
    >
    > 1) Start, Run.
    > type MSCONFIG /ALL in the run box
    >
    > 2) In the dialog box that opens, click on Startup
    >
    > 3) Look for Thunderbird in the list. Remove the check mark from the box
    >
    > 4) Click OK
    >
    > In order for these changes to take effect, you need to restart your
    > system. Do it now and when you get a box saying that your system has
    > changed, put check mark in the box so that it does not keep notifying
    > you again.

    You don't need to restart your system! Think about it. If the only thing
    you are really changing is to say "don't start TB automatically when I
    boot" then just be OK with the fact that next time it won't start up
    automatically. Do you really need to reboot to what? Prove it to yourself?
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  11. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    The date and time was 6/3/2008 10:01 PM, and on a whim, Andrew DeFaria
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > ANONYMOUS wrote:
    >> If you want to stop anything from startup programs Group then I
    >> suggest the following:
    >>
    >> 1) Start, Run.
    >> type MSCONFIG /ALL in the run box
    >>
    >> 2) In the dialog box that opens, click on Startup
    >>
    >> 3) Look for Thunderbird in the list. Remove the check mark from the box
    >>
    >> 4) Click OK
    >>
    >> In order for these changes to take effect, you need to restart your
    >> system. Do it now and when you get a box saying that your system has
    >> changed, put check mark in the box so that it does not keep notifying
    >> you again.

    > You don't need to restart your system! Think about it. If the only thing
    > you are really changing is to say "don't start TB automatically when I
    > boot" then just be OK with the fact that next time it won't start up
    > automatically. Do you really need to reboot to what? Prove it to yourself?
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

    He is saying that in order for the change to take effect using MSCONFIG,
    a reboot is required. Using that tool isn't needed just to remove a
    shortcut from the Startup Folder, so really a reboot isn't required to
    accomplish it.

    --
    Terry R.

  12. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > He is saying that in order for the change to take effect using
    > MSCONFIG, a reboot is required. Using that tool isn't needed just to
    > remove a shortcut from the Startup Folder, so really a reboot isn't
    > required to accomplish it.

    I know what he's saying. I'm saying it's not required period. Again,
    think for a second. You're booted. TB started at start up. You say damn
    I want to stop that. You run msconfig and tell it not to do that next
    restart. You're done! Completed. Nothing else to do. Why? Well because
    what you're trying to do is to stop it from happening next reboot. You
    did that already, whether you used msconfig to do it or you deleted it
    from the start up group (or the registry key, whatever). You don't need
    to reboot at this time. Whenever you reboot, be it today, or next week,
    the change you made with msconfig will be quote/unquote be made
    effective, and TB will not start at boot up, won't it? Of course it
    will. Rebooting next Friday instead of today will not make your changes
    uneffective either!

    Look at it this way, what will you gain by rebooting now? Nothing!
    Absolutely nothing. You will effectively only prove that the change you
    made worked right now. You'll get that exact same outcome if you reboot
    tomorrow or next Friday. Therefore rebooting is totally unnecessary!

    Stated differently, the "change" has already taken effect because
    whenever you next reboot it'll work.

    I'm surprised you don't see this.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    We win justice quickest by rendering justice to the other party. -

  13. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    The date and time was 6/4/2008 7:43 AM, and on a whim, Andrew DeFaria
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> He is saying that in order for the change to take effect using
    >> MSCONFIG, a reboot is required. Using that tool isn't needed just to
    >> remove a shortcut from the Startup Folder, so really a reboot isn't
    >> required to accomplish it.

    > I know what he's saying. I'm saying it's not required period. Again,
    > think for a second. You're booted. TB started at start up. You say damn
    > I want to stop that. You run msconfig and tell it not to do that next
    > restart. You're done! Completed. Nothing else to do. Why? Well because
    > what you're trying to do is to stop it from happening next reboot. You
    > did that already, whether you used msconfig to do it or you deleted it
    > from the start up group (or the registry key, whatever). You don't need
    > to reboot at this time. Whenever you reboot, be it today, or next week,
    > the change you made with msconfig will be quote/unquote be made
    > effective, and TB will not start at boot up, won't it? Of course it
    > will. Rebooting next Friday instead of today will not make your changes
    > uneffective either!
    >
    > Look at it this way, what will you gain by rebooting now? Nothing!
    > Absolutely nothing. You will effectively only prove that the change you
    > made worked right now. You'll get that exact same outcome if you reboot
    > tomorrow or next Friday. Therefore rebooting is totally unnecessary!
    >
    > Stated differently, the "change" has already taken effect because
    > whenever you next reboot it'll work.
    >
    > I'm surprised you don't see this.

    And you missed why he said to reboot. Because MSCONFIG has the nag
    dialog when you restart. He was describing how to get rid of the dialog
    to complete the process. That's why he suggested the reboot. That was
    the ONLY reason. Sure it's not required to reboot as that's obvious.
    Everything you said was obvious. But you missed the point completely.

    If I use MSCONFIG, I just open the registry and remove the key that
    MSCONFIG places in "Run" so the nag dialog doesn't execute.

    I'm not surprised to see you trying to make a useless point.

    --
    Terry R.

  14. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > And you missed why he said to reboot. Because MSCONFIG has the nag
    > dialog when you restart. He was describing how to get rid of the
    > dialog to complete the process. That's why he suggested the reboot.
    > That was the ONLY reason.

    Just handle the nag dialog whenever you reboot. Still not necessary to
    do that right away. The whole ignorance about having to reboot Windows
    often often comes from needless rebooting - with the key word needless -
    as it is here.
    > Sure it's not required to reboot as that's obvious. Everything you
    > said was obvious.

    And that's pretty much what I said now wasn't it. Why couldn't you just
    let that be? No you had to comment on it further...
    > But you missed the point completely.

    Not really.
    > If I use MSCONFIG, I just open the registry and remove the key that
    > MSCONFIG places in "Run" so the nag dialog doesn't execute.

    Yes and me personally I just remove the Startup group element or change
    the registry myself. I don't use msconfig.
    > I'm not surprised to see you trying to make a useless point.

    I'm not surprised you don't see the use in my point but you know what?
    I'm tired of this pointless conversation. Talk to yourself. I'm out of
    here. Y'all can uselessly and constantly reboot your Windows boxes if
    you like I guess...

    Geeze!
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

  15. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    On 05.06.2008 00:03, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > I'm not surprised you don't see the use in my point but you know what?
    > I'm tired of this pointless conversation. Talk to yourself. I'm out of
    > here. Y'all can uselessly and constantly reboot your Windows boxes if
    > you like I guess...

    The whole point that is being missed is simple:

    Newbies follow directions until they become advanced enough to know that
    they have other alternatives, workarounds and don't have to follow the
    explicit directions as printed, etc.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  16. Re: How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windowsstarts?

    The date and time was 6/4/2008 10:03 PM, and on a whim, Andrew DeFaria
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> And you missed why he said to reboot. Because MSCONFIG has the nag
    >> dialog when you restart. He was describing how to get rid of the
    >> dialog to complete the process. That's why he suggested the reboot.
    >> That was the ONLY reason.

    > Just handle the nag dialog whenever you reboot. Still not necessary to
    > do that right away. The whole ignorance about having to reboot Windows
    > often often comes from needless rebooting - with the key word needless -
    > as it is here.

    What ignorance? I recommend shutting down machines at night. Some
    don't. So what. And the instruction you criticized was obviously geared
    for a newb so they didn't freak out when they rebooted. Why did you
    offer a "needless" suggestion when it wasn't required?

    >> Sure it's not required to reboot as that's obvious. Everything you
    >> said was obvious.

    > And that's pretty much what I said now wasn't it. Why couldn't you just
    > let that be? No you had to comment on it further...

    Excuse me, but I believe you had to comment further, but this statement
    ends it completely.

    >> But you missed the point completely.

    > Not really.
    >> If I use MSCONFIG, I just open the registry and remove the key that
    >> MSCONFIG places in "Run" so the nag dialog doesn't execute.

    > Yes and me personally I just remove the Startup group element or change
    > the registry myself. I don't use msconfig.

    Once again you missed it. I NEVER use MSCONFIG for Startup folder
    items, like I originally stated. But in the rare occurrence that I do
    for services or the like (but I usually use Autoruns), I remove the reg
    entry so I don't HAVE to reboot.

    >> I'm not surprised to see you trying to make a useless point.

    > I'm not surprised you don't see the use in my point but you know what?
    > I'm tired of this pointless conversation. Talk to yourself. I'm out of
    > here. Y'all can uselessly and constantly reboot your Windows boxes if
    > you like I guess...

    I'm glad you're tired of it, because the offering was of little value
    anyway.

    --
    Terry R.