X1 search client, IMAP, gmail, and storing messages locally - Mozilla

This is a discussion on X1 search client, IMAP, gmail, and storing messages locally - Mozilla ; I briefly tried using Google Desktop as a means of indexing and searching my emails. The index files chewed up too much space on my (WinXP) C: drive and GD apparently can't be told to store the files on an ...

  1. X1 search client, IMAP, gmail, and storing messages locally

    I briefly tried using Google Desktop as a means of indexing and
    searching my emails. The index files chewed up too much space on my
    (WinXP) C: drive and GD apparently can't be told to store the files on
    an external drive, so I dumped it.

    I'm presently evaluating X1 desktop search client (www.x1.com) as a
    alternative and it at least does let one specify an external drive for
    the index files. But while it works fine with my gmail and other POP
    accounts, it's not showing results from my gmail accounts which are set
    up as IMAP accounts.

    X1's FAQ says: "IMAP Email Servers X1 does not fully support indexing
    of email messages when stored on IMAP email servers. X1 recommends
    always storing copies of the email messages in your local email client
    for best performance."

    Sounds like a good idea. Can't figure out how to get TB to store local
    copies of the email messages. Or if TB /is/ storing messages locally,
    then there is some other problem with X1.

    Any hints or ideas? Many thanks in advance.

    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

  2. Re: X1 search client, IMAP, gmail, and storing messages locally

    Previously on mozilla.support.thunderbird, Mike Rocket J Squirrel said:

    > Sounds like a good idea. Can't figure out how to get TB to store local
    > copies of the email messages. Or if TB /is/ storing messages locally,
    > then there is some other problem with X1.
    >
    > Any hints or ideas? Many thanks in advance.

    In the folder properties for the mail folders you want X1 to be able to
    index, select the "Offline" tab and check the box for the feature. Then
    click the "download now" button to copy the data from the server.

    If there is a way to do this for multiple folders simultaneously, I
    have not found it (and no longer need to for myself as I've got all of
    mine so set now).

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    It doesn't matter what temperature a room is, it's always room
    temperature. (Steven Wright)

  3. Re: X1 search client, IMAP, gmail, and storing messages locally

    On 6/2/2008 5:59 PM Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > Previously on mozilla.support.thunderbird, Mike Rocket J Squirrel said:
    >
    >> Sounds like a good idea. Can't figure out how to get TB to store local
    >> copies of the email messages. Or if TB /is/ storing messages locally,
    >> then there is some other problem with X1.
    >>
    >> Any hints or ideas? Many thanks in advance.

    > In the folder properties for the mail folders you want X1 to be able to
    > index, select the "Offline" tab and check the box for the feature. Then
    > click the "download now" button to copy the data from the server.
    >
    > If there is a way to do this for multiple folders simultaneously, I
    > have not found it (and no longer need to for myself as I've got all of
    > mine so set now).

    Thanks for that! Now I need to see if putting local copies of all my
    gmail stuff on my internal HD takes back the space that I recovered when
    I dumped Google Desktop!

    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
    71 Type 2: the Wonderbus