FF3RC1 and FF2 Bookmarks - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF3RC1 and FF2 Bookmarks - Mozilla ; I would like to import my FF2 bookmarks on my desktop to FF3RC1 on my laptop. How do I do this? Thx....

  1. FF3RC1 and FF2 Bookmarks

    I would like to import my FF2 bookmarks on my desktop to FF3RC1 on my
    laptop.

    How do I do this?

    Thx.

  2. Re: FF3RC1 and FF2 Bookmarks

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > I would like to import my FF2 bookmarks on my desktop to FF3RC1 on my
    > laptop.
    >
    > How do I do this?
    >
    > Thx.

    Go to Bookmarks>Organise Bookmarks and select Import & Backup from the
    menu bar.
    Brian

  3. Re: FF3RC1 and FF2 Bookmarks

    On 05/29/2008 12:21 PM Pete Holsberg scribbled:

    > I would like to import my FF2 bookmarks on my desktop to FF3RC1 on my
    > laptop.
    >
    > How do I do this?
    >
    > Thx.

    under tools>address book
    in address book screen
    tools>export

    worked for me as ldif file but that was going to linux - in my old
    profile, I had abook.mab and abook-2.mab files so if going from windoze
    to windoze, you may just copy any files you may have like those (*.mab)
    to your profile folder - should work...

  4. Re: FF3RC1 and FF2 Bookmarks

    "Pete Holsberg" ...
    > I would like to import my FF2 bookmarks on my desktop to FF3RC1 on my
    > laptop.

    Hi Pete,
    You will need to know if you want to replace your Fx3 bookmarks with
    those in Fx3 or attempt to add your Fx2 bookmarks to Fx3. The following
    should work for replacement.

    Export your bookmarks from Fx2
    File, Bookmarks, Organize Bookmarks, then in Bookmarks Manager use File, Export
    to create your file for transfer it will be an HTML file.

    If you just want to add your Fx2 bookmarks to Fx3 then Import your bookmarks into Fx3
    File, Bookmarks, Organize bookmarks, then in Library (formerly Bookmarks Manager) use
    File, Import. and you would be done, but you may have duplicate bookmarks because
    of the import. OTHERWISE....

    If you want to substitute your Fx2 bookmarks for your Fx3 bookmarks, then
    rename or delete the following with Fx3 down..
    bookmarks.html
    bookmarks_postplaces.html
    places.sqlite
    With Fx3 down copy your Fx2 exported bookmarks.html file into you Fx3 profile
    with the name bookmarks.html then bring up Fx3. The sqlite database file
    will be created and bookmarks.html file will not be touched again. the postplaces
    version will get updated and look like your old bookmarks.html file, but it is the
    sqlfile that has your bookmarks. There may still be a problem with exporting
    from Fx3 concerning including Unfiled bookmarks but since RC1 is out that
    should have been addressed. There will be an RC2 coming out soon.

    The sqlite file is the databas used by Firefox 3 for bookmarks, the bookmarks.html file
    is the bookmarks file from Version 2 and the bookmarks_postplaces.html file is updated
    from the data base. There are options that can change which HTML file gets updated.

    I have some information on my places.html file that is not in any final
    form, and may never be finalized, but you will find some information and
    links there if you want to understand more.

    If you are interested in maintaining a set of bookmarks between a
    desktop and a laptop. You might want to look into
    "Bookmark Sync and Sort," if and when modified to handle Fx3 bookmarks.

    As you know Bookmarks is a major change in Firefox 3.

    --
    HTH,

  5. Re: FF3RC1 and FF2 Bookmarks

    Brian has written on 5/29/2008 5:41 PM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to import my FF2 bookmarks on my desktop to FF3RC1 on my
    >> laptop.
    >>
    >> How do I do this?
    >>
    >> Thx.
    >>

    > Go to Bookmarks>Organise Bookmarks and select Import & Backup from the
    > menu bar.

    Eggs-sell-ant!! Danke.

  6. Re: FF3RC1 and FF2 Bookmarks

    David McRitchie has written on 5/29/2008 5:56 PM:
    > "Pete Holsberg" ...
    >
    >> I would like to import my FF2 bookmarks on my desktop to FF3RC1 on my
    >> laptop.
    >>

    > Hi Pete,
    > You will need to know if you want to replace your Fx3 bookmarks with
    > those in Fx3 or attempt to add your Fx2 bookmarks to Fx3. The following
    > should work for replacement.
    >
    > Export your bookmarks from Fx2
    > File, Bookmarks, Organize Bookmarks, then in Bookmarks Manager use File, Export
    > to create your file for transfer it will be an HTML file.
    >
    > If you just want to add your Fx2 bookmarks to Fx3 then Import your bookmarks into Fx3
    > File, Bookmarks, Organize bookmarks, then in Library (formerly Bookmarks Manager) use
    > File, Import. and you would be done, but you may have duplicate bookmarks because
    > of the import. OTHERWISE....
    >
    > If you want to substitute your Fx2 bookmarks for your Fx3 bookmarks, then
    > rename or delete the following with Fx3 down..
    > bookmarks.html
    > bookmarks_postplaces.html
    > places.sqlite
    > With Fx3 down copy your Fx2 exported bookmarks.html file into you Fx3 profile
    > with the name bookmarks.html then bring up Fx3. The sqlite database file
    > will be created and bookmarks.html file will not be touched again. the postplaces
    > version will get updated and look like your old bookmarks.html file, but it is the
    > sqlfile that has your bookmarks. There may still be a problem with exporting
    > from Fx3 concerning including Unfiled bookmarks but since RC1 is out that
    > should have been addressed. There will be an RC2 coming out soon.

    Very interesting!

    I decided to replace the FF3 BM with the FF2 ones, but did not find a
    postplaces file.

    What I did was delete the two files I found, then open FF3. Organize
    bookmarks, and the delete entries I didn't want. Then I imported the FF2
    file.

    ++++++++++++++

    I take it there's a problem sorting?

    Thanks.

  7. Re: FF3RC1 and FF2 Bookmarks

    "Pete Holsberg"
    > Very interesting!
    >
    > I decided to replace the FF3 BM with the FF2 ones, but did not find a
    > postplaces file.
    >
    > What I did was delete the two files I found, then open FF3. Organize
    > bookmarks, and the delete entries I didn't want. Then I imported the FF2
    > file.
    >
    > ++++++++++++++
    >
    > I take it there's a problem sorting?

    Sounds like a simpler, way of doing things that anyone can follow
    without knowing where profile is, something Mozilla doesn't seem
    to want most people to know. but you have to if there are problems.

    The main problem that people have with sorting bookmarks in Fx3 is that
    they are used to selecting a bookmark, right click and sort. Now you
    have to right-click on the encompassing bookmark folder, right click and sort.

    There are a few extensions to sort bookmarks, but since Fx3 is a major
    change you will have to wait for legitimate Fx3 versions. The one I'd
    been using and hope to see updated is "Bookmark Sorting", formerly
    named "Sort Bookmarks". Something that should be built-in to
    Firefox but I guess there is a problem between people who want bookmarks
    sorted and unsorted if you were to say upgrade;/replace Firefox or switch
    to or from Safe Mode. So by having to have an extension to sort
    multiple folders the Firefox developers may absolve themselves of
    causing any loss or rearrangement of bookmarks during transitions.

    Hard for me to believe that there are a large number of people who
    do not want bookmarks sorted, and for whom tags were designed
    and which messed up ease of adding keyword shortcuts (bookmark aliases) for
    several months.

    I think this could have been done with the old system using a double separator
    line below which bookmarks don't get sorted.

    --
    HTH,