Frames - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Frames - Mozilla ; My company uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access for our email and when I open it in Firefox the frames are all screwed up. It looks nothing like it does in Internet Explorer. Is there some fix for this or a ...

  1. Frames

    My company uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access for our email and when I
    open it in Firefox the frames are all screwed up. It looks nothing like
    it does in Internet Explorer. Is there some fix for this or a setting
    that I'm missing? I use Firefox on my U3 flash device so I leave no
    footprints on the computer I happen to be on at the time. I travel a lot
    with work so I access various computers in our branches.

    Please help if it is possible.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Frames

    The date and time was 5/29/2008 10:18 AM, and on a whim, Richard Tellier
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > My company uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access for our email and when I
    > open it in Firefox the frames are all screwed up. It looks nothing like
    > it does in Internet Explorer. Is there some fix for this or a setting
    > that I'm missing? I use Firefox on my U3 flash device so I leave no
    > footprints on the computer I happen to be on at the time. I travel a lot
    > with work so I access various computers in our branches.
    >
    > Please help if it is possible.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Richard,

    Unfortunately, it won't look exactly like using IE. You can maneuver
    folders using the "Navigate up one folder" icon above the View Pane, but
    you don't get the left pane folders like IE. You could use IETab, but
    that is just using the IE engine within FF. On the left frame I get
    Inbox, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, etc. and the right frame views of
    those folders.

    I only use it for clients that create email accounts for me, so I mainly
    just have TB access the accounts so all my email is in one program.

    --
    Terry R.

  3. Re: Frames

    Richard Tellier wrote:
    > My company uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access for our email and when I
    > open it in Firefox the frames are all screwed up. It looks nothing like
    > it does in Internet Explorer. Is there some fix for this or a setting
    > that I'm missing? I use Firefox on my U3 flash device so I leave no

    The fix would probably be up to the authors that wrote it with only MS
    IE in mind. Promises of torture would be a possibility, but they'd have
    to come from within, not from a mere user; remember, what's good for MS
    is good for The World.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  4. Re: Frames

    Richard Tellier wrote:
    > My company uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access for our email and when I
    > open it in Firefox the frames are all screwed up. It looks nothing like
    > it does in Internet Explorer. Is there some fix for this or a setting
    > that I'm missing? I use Firefox on my U3 flash device so I leave no
    > footprints on the computer I happen to be on at the time. I travel a lot
    > with work so I access various computers in our branches.
    >
    > Please help if it is possible.
    >
    > Thanks

    The Outlook Web Access page probably uses Internet Explorer specific
    HTML formatting, and ActiveX controls, by design. You may be stuck with
    Internet Explorer unless they decide to change mail clients.

    Only one possible workaround: I think there may be a plugin for Firefox
    that lets you use ActiveX controls, but I haven't tried it and don't
    even know if it still is available.

  5. Re: Frames

    Richard Tellier wrote:
    > My company uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access for our email and when I
    > open it in Firefox the frames are all screwed up. It looks nothing like
    > it does in Internet Explorer. Is there some fix for this or a setting
    > that I'm missing? I use Firefox on my U3 flash device so I leave no
    > footprints on the computer I happen to be on at the time. I travel a lot
    > with work so I access various computers in our branches.
    >
    > Please help if it is possible.
    >
    > Thanks

    Where I work we have a few web systems that don't look right or work
    properly in Firefox. Many of them have little snippets in them to
    actually block anything other than IE.

    I have found in almost all cases, IE Tab solves the problem of sites not
    looking right in IE - mainly because what IE tab does, is emulate IE,
    and all its dire non standard HTML behaviours.

    As others have suggested, you may be able to make the developers un-IE
    the site, but you might not, too.. If it's an inhouse webapp you may
    find the offer of a case of beer or similar handy.

  6. Re: Frames

    Yeebok Shu'in wrote:

    > I have found in almost all cases, IE Tab solves the problem of sites not
    > looking right in IE - mainly because what IE tab does, is emulate IE,
    > and all its dire non standard HTML behaviours.

    It doesn't *emulate* IE, it *is* IE, wrapped within FF. It embeds an IE
    content window, in the FF content window. So, even though you still see
    the FF interface, the rendering engine in use is IE.

    --
    Alex K.

  7. Re: Frames

    The date and time was 5/30/2008 1:11 AM, and on a whim, Yeebok Shu'in
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Richard Tellier wrote:
    >> My company uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access for our email and when I
    >> open it in Firefox the frames are all screwed up. It looks nothing like
    >> it does in Internet Explorer. Is there some fix for this or a setting
    >> that I'm missing? I use Firefox on my U3 flash device so I leave no
    >> footprints on the computer I happen to be on at the time. I travel a lot
    >> with work so I access various computers in our branches.
    >>
    >> Please help if it is possible.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Where I work we have a few web systems that don't look right or work
    > properly in Firefox. Many of them have little snippets in them to
    > actually block anything other than IE.
    >
    > I have found in almost all cases, IE Tab solves the problem of sites not
    > looking right in IE - mainly because what IE tab does, is emulate IE,
    > and all its dire non standard HTML behaviours.
    >
    > As others have suggested, you may be able to make the developers un-IE
    > the site, but you might not, too.. If it's an inhouse webapp you may
    > find the offer of a case of beer or similar handy.

    You can't "un-IE" and OWA site, as it's part of Exchange Server.

    --
    Terry R.

  8. Re: Frames

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:19:33 -0700
    "Terry R." wrote:

    > The date and time was 5/30/2008 1:11 AM, and on a whim, Yeebok Shu'in
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    > > As others have suggested, you may be able to make the developers
    > > un-IE the site, but you might not, too.. If it's an inhouse webapp
    > > you may find the offer of a case of beer or similar handy.

    > You can't "un-IE" and OWA site, as it's part of Exchange Server.

    The only hope of "un-IEing" is to convince the admins to turn on IMAP
    support in Exchange, so that you don't have to use a browser. IME,
    they're pretty likely to just say no. :/

  9. Re: Frames

    Q wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:19:33 -0700
    > "Terry R." wrote:
    >
    >> The date and time was 5/30/2008 1:11 AM, and on a whim, Yeebok Shu'in
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> As others have suggested, you may be able to make the developers
    >>> un-IE the site, but you might not, too.. If it's an inhouse webapp
    >>> you may find the offer of a case of beer or similar handy.

    >> You can't "un-IE" and OWA site, as it's part of Exchange Server.

    > The only hope of "un-IEing" is to convince the admins to turn on IMAP

    That's way too many vowels.

    ObFirefoxCompliance: There are three vowels in "Firefox".

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    NEW --> Now evaluating a GG-free news feed: http://usenet4all.se

  10. Re: Frames

    The date and time was 5/30/2008 9:21 PM, and on a whim, Q pounded out
    on the keyboard:

    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:19:33 -0700
    > "Terry R." wrote:
    >
    >> The date and time was 5/30/2008 1:11 AM, and on a whim, Yeebok Shu'in
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> As others have suggested, you may be able to make the developers
    >>> un-IE the site, but you might not, too.. If it's an inhouse webapp
    >>> you may find the offer of a case of beer or similar handy.

    >> You can't "un-IE" and OWA site, as it's part of Exchange Server.

    > The only hope of "un-IEing" is to convince the admins to turn on IMAP
    > support in Exchange, so that you don't have to use a browser. IME,
    > they're pretty likely to just say no. :/

    There are other ways to access it, just a lot of IT's don't help the
    users to configure it. Most OWA users access their accounts through a
    "mail.website". That can be set up as a proxy server also, or you can
    direct OL pointing to Exchange via,
    "https://mail.website/exchange/@website", rather than just the
    default of pointing to the server on the lan that hosts Exchange.

    The browser comes in handy when the user doesn't have a mobile device.
    I don't think the limitations of "view" in FF should/would prevent
    anyone from using it. It's a complaint that is pretty petty IMO.

    --
    Terry R.

  11. Re: Frames

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 06:48:19 -0700
    "Terry R." wrote:

    > The date and time was 5/30/2008 9:21 PM, and on a whim, Q pounded
    > out on the keyboard:
    >
    > > On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:19:33 -0700
    > > "Terry R." wrote:
    > >
    > >> The date and time was 5/30/2008 1:11 AM, and on a whim, Yeebok
    > >> Shu'in pounded out on the keyboard:

    > >> You can't "un-IE" and OWA site, as it's part of Exchange Server.

    > > The only hope of "un-IEing" is to convince the admins to turn on
    > > IMAP support in Exchange, so that you don't have to use a browser.
    > > IME, they're pretty likely to just say no. :/

    > There are other ways to access it, just a lot of IT's don't help the
    > users to configure it. Most OWA users access their accounts through
    > a "mail.website". That can be set up as a proxy server also, or you
    > can direct OL pointing to Exchange via,
    > "https://mail.website/exchange/@website", rather than just the
    > default of pointing to the server on the lan that hosts Exchange.

    I didn't know about the option to point Outlook at the server from
    outside the LAN using https, but that doesn't help me any more than the
    option to use IE.

    > The browser comes in handy when the user doesn't have a mobile
    > device. I don't think the limitations of "view" in FF should/would
    > prevent anyone from using it. It's a complaint that is pretty petty
    > IMO.

    I don't mind the view much, though it can be a little annoying, but many
    important functions simply don't work outside of IE. The one I miss
    most is being able to search for mail.

  12. Re: Frames

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 5/29/2008 10:18 AM, and on a whim, Richard Tellier
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> My company uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access for our email and when I
    >> open it in Firefox the frames are all screwed up. It looks nothing
    >> like it does in Internet Explorer. Is there some fix for this or a
    >> setting that I'm missing? I use Firefox on my U3 flash device so I
    >> leave no footprints on the computer I happen to be on at the time. I
    >> travel a lot with work so I access various computers in our branches.
    >>
    >> Please help if it is possible.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > Unfortunately, it won't look exactly like using IE. You can maneuver
    > folders using the "Navigate up one folder" icon above the View Pane, but
    > you don't get the left pane folders like IE. You could use IETab, but
    > that is just using the IE engine within FF. On the left frame I get
    > Inbox, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, etc. and the right frame views of
    > those folders.
    >
    > I only use it for clients that create email accounts for me, so I mainly
    > just have TB access the accounts so all my email is in one program.

    Hi Terry,

    I just tried to install IE TAB and was told I had to upgrade FF. I'm currently running 2.0.0.14 but the "Add to FF" is grayed out and only the "upgrade FF" is alive...but it points to installing the Version I'm currently using. Any idea what's going on? I'd like to try it on a genealogy data web page that insists on using IE for one particular data base.

    I was on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...IE+TAB&cat=all
    at the time.

    Thanks,
    Don

  13. Re: Frames

    The date and time was 6/3/2008 4:13 PM, and on a whim, Don Nickell
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 5/29/2008 10:18 AM, and on a whim, Richard
    >> Tellier pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> My company uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access for our email and
    >>> when I open it in Firefox the frames are all screwed up. It looks
    >>> nothing like it does in Internet Explorer. Is there some fix for
    >>> this or a setting that I'm missing? I use Firefox on my U3 flash
    >>> device so I leave no footprints on the computer I happen to be on
    >>> at the time. I travel a lot with work so I access various
    >>> computers in our branches.
    >>>
    >>> Please help if it is possible.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Hi Richard,
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, it won't look exactly like using IE. You can
    >> maneuver folders using the "Navigate up one folder" icon above the
    >> View Pane, but you don't get the left pane folders like IE. You
    >> could use IETab, but that is just using the IE engine within FF.
    >> On the left frame I get Inbox, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, etc. and
    >> the right frame views of those folders.
    >>
    >> I only use it for clients that create email accounts for me, so I
    >> mainly just have TB access the accounts so all my email is in one
    >> program.
    >>

    > Hi Terry,
    >
    > I just tried to install IE TAB and was told I had to upgrade FF. I'm
    > currently running 2.0.0.14 but the "Add to FF" is grayed out and only
    > the "upgrade FF" is alive...but it points to installing the Version
    > I'm currently using. Any idea what's going on? I'd like to try it
    > on a genealogy data web page that insists on using IE for one
    > particular data base.
    >
    > I was on:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...IE+TAB&cat=all at
    > the time.
    >
    > Thanks, Don

    Hi Don,

    Funny, I got the same greyed out button. I clicked on the "older
    version" below it and got this page:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../versions/1419

    That should do it for you.

    --
    Terry R.

  14. Re: Frames

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 6/3/2008 4:13 PM, and on a whim, Don Nickell
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >SNIP
    >>
    >> Hi Terry,
    >>
    >> I just tried to install IE TAB and was told I had to upgrade FF. I'm
    >> currently running 2.0.0.14 but the "Add to FF" is grayed out and only
    >> the "upgrade FF" is alive...but it points to installing the Version
    >> I'm currently using. Any idea what's going on? I'd like to try it
    >> on a genealogy data web page that insists on using IE for one
    >> particular data base.
    >>
    >> I was on:
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...IE+TAB&cat=all at
    >> the time.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Don

    > Hi Don,
    >
    > Funny, I got the same greyed out button. I clicked on the "older
    > version" below it and got this page:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../versions/1419
    >
    > That should do it for you.

    Thanks Terry, looks like it worked. But the name inclusion of "History" threw me, :-p

+ Reply to Thread