Find T'bird exe in Windows - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Find T'bird exe in Windows - Mozilla ; Hi everybody, is there a recommended way to spot the thunderbird.exe in windows? Will the registry key "HKLM/software/mozilla/thunderbird/bin/PathToExe" always be present if T'bird is installed? On my system there is another like "HKLM/software/mozilla/thunderbird/ /main/PathToExe". What would be the most general ...

  1. Find T'bird exe in Windows

    Hi everybody,

    is there a recommended way to spot the thunderbird.exe in windows?

    Will the registry key "HKLM/software/mozilla/thunderbird/bin/PathToExe"
    always be present if T'bird is installed? On my system there is another
    like "HKLM/software/mozilla/thunderbird//main/PathToExe".

    What would be the most general way to do that working for different
    T'bird versions and different Windows versions?

    Thanks in advance
    Florian

  2. Re: Find T'bird exe in Windows

    The date and time was 5/29/2008 2:13 AM, and on a whim, FT pounded out
    on the keyboard:

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > is there a recommended way to spot the thunderbird.exe in windows?
    >
    > Will the registry key "HKLM/software/mozilla/thunderbird/bin/PathToExe"
    > always be present if T'bird is installed? On my system there is another
    > like "HKLM/software/mozilla/thunderbird//main/PathToExe".
    >
    > What would be the most general way to do that working for different
    > T'bird versions and different Windows versions?
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    > Florian

    Hi Florian,

    My zip builds don't have an entry there.

    See if this helps. I'm not sure why you're using the registry to "spot"
    the location, but there are other methods available:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Installation_directory

    Right clicking Desktop shortcuts and selecting Properties will also show
    the path, and multiple installs usually have multiple shortcuts pointing
    to each. But like I said, zip builds don't appear to have those entries
    so you can't rely on the registry alone. Unless possibly you allow them
    to be the "default" mail program, and then they may create the
    appropriate reg entries.

    --
    Terry R.

  3. Re: Find T'bird exe in Windows

    Hi Terry,

    thanks for your answer -- in my question I forgot the tiny but important
    word *programmatically*.

    I want to include a button in an application that I am producing that
    opens T'birds compose window with some preset fields. I figured out how
    to do that from the command line. Now I need an automatic way to find
    the Thunderbird.exe file.

    Nice hint with the zip installation -- haven't thought about that one.

    Best
    Florian

    > The date and time was 5/29/2008 2:13 AM, and on a whim, FT pounded out
    > on the keyboard:
    >
    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> is there a recommended way to spot the thunderbird.exe in windows?
    >>
    >> Will the registry key
    >> "HKLM/software/mozilla/thunderbird/bin/PathToExe" always be present if
    >> T'bird is installed? On my system there is another like
    >> "HKLM/software/mozilla/thunderbird//main/PathToExe".
    >>
    >> What would be the most general way to do that working for different
    >> T'bird versions and different Windows versions?
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Florian

    > Hi Florian,
    >
    > My zip builds don't have an entry there.
    >
    > See if this helps. I'm not sure why you're using the registry to "spot"
    > the location, but there are other methods available:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Installation_directory
    >
    > Right clicking Desktop shortcuts and selecting Properties will also show
    > the path, and multiple installs usually have multiple shortcuts pointing
    > to each. But like I said, zip builds don't appear to have those entries
    > so you can't rely on the registry alone. Unless possibly you allow them
    > to be the "default" mail program, and then they may create the
    > appropriate reg entries.

  4. Re: Find T'bird exe in Windows

    The date and time was 5/29/2008 7:22 AM, and on a whim, FT pounded out
    on the keyboard:

    > Hi Terry,
    >
    > thanks for your answer -- in my question I forgot the tiny but important
    > word *programmatically*.
    >
    > I want to include a button in an application that I am producing that
    > opens T'birds compose window with some preset fields. I figured out how
    > to do that from the command line. Now I need an automatic way to find
    > the Thunderbird.exe file.
    >
    > Nice hint with the zip installation -- haven't thought about that one.
    >

    > Best
    > Florian
    >
    >> The date and time was 5/29/2008 2:13 AM, and on a whim, FT pounded out
    >> on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> Hi everybody,
    >>>
    >>> is there a recommended way to spot the thunderbird.exe in windows?
    >>>
    >>> Will the registry key
    >>> "HKLM/software/mozilla/thunderbird/bin/PathToExe" always be present if
    >>> T'bird is installed? On my system there is another like
    >>> "HKLM/software/mozilla/thunderbird//main/PathToExe".
    >>>
    >>> What would be the most general way to do that working for different
    >>> T'bird versions and different Windows versions?
    >>>

    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>> Florian

    >> Hi Florian,
    >>
    >> My zip builds don't have an entry there.
    >>
    >> See if this helps. I'm not sure why you're using the registry to "spot"
    >> the location, but there are other methods available:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Installation_directory
    >>
    >> Right clicking Desktop shortcuts and selecting Properties will also show
    >> the path, and multiple installs usually have multiple shortcuts pointing
    >> to each. But like I said, zip builds don't appear to have those entries
    >> so you can't rely on the registry alone. Unless possibly you allow them
    >> to be the "default" mail program, and then they may create the
    >> appropriate reg entries.

    Then I would use AppPaths:
    HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\thunderbird.exe

    --
    Terry R.