Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of - Mozilla ; This is a new one on me. Just got a new PC and after loading SeaMonkey, various e-mails are getting labeled as [SPAM] in the Subject line...including many that are legitimate e-mails. How'd this happen, and how do I stop ...

  1. Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of

    This is a new one on me. Just got a new PC and after loading SeaMonkey,
    various e-mails are getting labeled as [SPAM] in the Subject
    line...including many that are legitimate e-mails. How'd this happen,
    and how do I stop it?

    Many thanks for your help!

    -George

  2. Re: Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of

    George Carden wrote:
    > This is a new one on me. Just got a new PC and after loading SeaMonkey,
    > various e-mails are getting labeled as [SPAM] in the Subject
    > line...including many that are legitimate e-mails. How'd this happen,
    > and how do I stop it?
    >
    > Many thanks for your help!
    >
    > -George

    if it says [SPAM] then that has nothing to do with SM, and
    everything to do with your email provider.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > George Carden wrote:
    >> This is a new one on me. Just got a new PC and after loading
    >> SeaMonkey, various e-mails are getting labeled as [SPAM] in the
    >> Subject line...including many that are legitimate e-mails. How'd this
    >> happen, and how do I stop it?
    >>
    >> Many thanks for your help!
    >>
    >> -George

    > if it says [SPAM] then that has nothing to do with SM, and everything to
    > do with your email provider.

    I thought of that, but it's just so weird that it had never happened
    (ever) until I got a new computer.

  4. Re: Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of

    George Carden wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> George Carden wrote:
    >>> This is a new one on me. Just got a new PC and after loading
    >>> SeaMonkey, various e-mails are getting labeled as [SPAM] in the
    >>> Subject line...including many that are legitimate e-mails. How'd this
    >>> happen, and how do I stop it?
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks for your help!
    >>>
    >>> -George

    >> if it says [SPAM] then that has nothing to do with SM, and everything to
    >> do with your email provider.
    >>

    > I thought of that, but it's just so weird that it had never happened
    > (ever) until I got a new computer.

    does it say [SPAM] or does it say [SCAM]? If spam, then its
    your email provider. If scam, then its SM.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of

    On 05/28/08 08:16, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > George Carden wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> if it says [SPAM] then that has nothing to do with SM, and everything to
    >>> do with your email provider.
    >>>

    >> I thought of that, but it's just so weird that it had never happened
    >> (ever) until I got a new computer.

    > does it say [SPAM] or does it say [SCAM]? If spam, then its
    > your email provider. If scam, then its SM.

    It is possible that the new computer includes some anti-spam e-mail
    scanning software which may be tagging the messages? The fact that
    the OP says it started with the new PC is a pretty big coincidence.

  6. Re: Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of

    Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 05/28/08 08:16, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> George Carden wrote:

    >>> I thought of that, but it's just so weird that it had never happened
    >>> (ever) until I got a new computer.

    >> does it say [SPAM] or does it say [SCAM]? If spam, then its
    >> your email provider. If scam, then its SM.
    >>

    > It is possible that the new computer includes some anti-spam e-mail
    > scanning software which may be tagging the messages? The fact that
    > the OP says it started with the new PC is a pretty big coincidence.

    its a possibility if he's using a program such as
    spamassassin or something similar.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Mark Hansen wrote:

    >>> does it say [SPAM] or does it say [SCAM]? If spam, then its your
    >>> email provider. If scam, then its SM.
    >>>

    >> It is possible that the new computer includes some anti-spam e-mail
    >> scanning software which may be tagging the messages? The fact that
    >> the OP says it started with the new PC is a pretty big coincidence.
    >>

    > its a possibility if he's using a program such as spamassassin or
    > something similar.

    Hmmmm.......

    Ya know, I'll bet this new Dell does have some sort of anti-spam
    software. Will check that out. Makes sense. Yes, it says [SPAM]. (I
    disabled the [SCAM] setting long ago.) Thanks, guys! :-)

    -George

  8. Re: Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of

    George Carden wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Mark Hansen wrote:

    >>> It is possible that the new computer includes some anti-spam e-mail
    >>> scanning software which may be tagging the messages? The fact that
    >>> the OP says it started with the new PC is a pretty big coincidence.
    >>>

    >> its a possibility if he's using a program such as spamassassin or
    >> something similar.
    >>

    > Hmmmm.......
    >
    > Ya know, I'll bet this new Dell does have some sort of anti-spam
    > software. Will check that out. Makes sense. Yes, it says [SPAM]. (I
    > disabled the [SCAM] setting long ago.) Thanks, guys! :-)
    >
    > -George

    Well, I figured it out quickly enough. I would've been surprised if
    Dell had instigated such a presumptuous program. When I figured out it
    was the MCAFEE SECURITY CENTER that came free (for 15 months) with the
    Dell...I'm not surprised. When the free trial runs out, I won't be
    paying any $$$ to continue it. I was done with McAfee and Norton years
    ago. Figured "what the heck" when McAfee was free with my new Dell. We
    live & learn. ;-)

    -George

  9. Re: Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 11:15:06 -0500, George Carden wrote:

    > When I figured out it
    > was the MCAFEE SECURITY CENTER that came free (for 15 months) with the
    > Dell...I'm not surprised.

    Since it came free, why not disable/uninstall it now, rather than put
    up with it, esp as you say were were done with it years ago.

  10. Re: Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of

    Charani wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 11:15:06 -0500, George Carden wrote:
    >
    >> When I figured out it
    >> was the MCAFEE SECURITY CENTER that came free (for 15 months) with the
    >> Dell...I'm not surprised.

    > Since it came free, why not disable/uninstall it now, rather than put
    > up with it, esp as you say were were done with it years ago.

    I pretty much nullified all the Spam controls on McAfee. Seems to be
    working fine now. With the new machine right now, McAfee is not at the
    forefront of my concerns, to be honest. I was using AVG on my last
    machine until they upgraded to 8.0. That version s-l-o-w-e-d things down
    to a crawl. Technically I'm "in between" AV's right now. Will figure
    it out later.

    To keep the NG on track here....boy, do I still love SeaMonkey! :-)

  11. Re: Branding of e-mail as [SPAM] - How to get rid of

    George Carden wrote:
    > Charani wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 11:15:06 -0500, George Carden wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I figured out it was the MCAFEE SECURITY CENTER that came free
    >>> (for 15 months) with the Dell...I'm not surprised.

    >> Since it came free, why not disable/uninstall it now, rather than put
    >> up with it, esp as you say were were done with it years ago.

    > I pretty much nullified all the Spam controls on McAfee. Seems to be
    > working fine now. With the new machine right now, McAfee is not at
    > the forefront of my concerns, to be honest. I was using AVG on my
    > last machine until they upgraded to 8.0. That version s-l-o-w-e-d
    > things down to a crawl. Technically I'm "in between" AV's right now.
    > Will figure it out later.
    >
    > To keep the NG on track here....boy, do I still love SeaMonkey! :-)

    I also changed AV when AVG 8.0 came out -it was slow and when I shut off
    the email scanning it wiped all my saved passwords out of the password
    manager and when I tried to do a restore none of my restore points were
    valid. I uninstall and went to Avast but had trouble with it also so I
    am using Comodo AV right now.

    --
    You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

+ Reply to Thread