AVG Safe Search -- can it be uninstalled - Mozilla

This is a discussion on AVG Safe Search -- can it be uninstalled - Mozilla ; How can AVG Safe Search be permanently uninstalled. AVG Safe Search (comes with new "AVG Anti Virus Free", version 8 install) is similar to McAfee Site Advisor, and I can only disable it. (not uninstall). Probably chose to accept the ...

  1. AVG Safe Search -- can it be uninstalled

    How can AVG Safe Search be permanently uninstalled.

    AVG Safe Search (comes with new "AVG Anti Virus Free", version 8 install) is similar to
    McAfee Site Advisor, and I can only disable it. (not uninstall). Probably chose
    to accept the add-on as something that I would "try" just to see what it did.

    In 2.0.0.14, it prevented use of "Enter" on my system, and other problems for other
    users. On Fx3 it shows the busy throbber icon for each Google
    search returned item. Has to be disabled on each new profile.

    It gets installed automatically into Firefox, and any new Firefox profile.
    It gets installed in Internet Explorer as well, actually guess that comes first.

    I guess this is like the Ask Toolbar, either don't ask for it, or you don't realize
    that it is not something that can simply be uninstalled within Tools, Add-ons.
    Of course I would never install a third party Toolbar, though I do install some
    extensions that have toolbars, but not use the toolbar.

    The FAQ at http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1241
    the actual item is 1253 so try http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1253
    but that does not uninstall it..

    --
    David McRitchie, http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

  2. Re: AVG Safe Search -- can it be uninstalled

    From the AVG Free support FAQ's

    If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner
    component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed
    as follows:

    * Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our
    website.
    * Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE
    fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch. One way to achieve
    this is to:
    o save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\
    o open menu Start -> Run
    o type
    c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf
    /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch
    * The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed
    without the LinkScanner component.

    I did this, when prompted, I chose Remove Components as Setup Type, then
    just kept pressing Next until finished.

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > How can AVG Safe Search be permanently uninstalled.
    >
    > AVG Safe Search (comes with new "AVG Anti Virus Free", version 8
    > install) is similar to McAfee Site Advisor, and I can only disable
    > it. (not uninstall). Probably chose
    > to accept the add-on as something that I would "try" just to see what
    > it did.
    >
    > In 2.0.0.14, it prevented use of "Enter" on my system, and other
    > problems for other users. On Fx3 it shows the busy throbber icon for
    > each Google
    > search returned item. Has to be disabled on each new profile.
    > It gets installed automatically into Firefox, and any new Firefox profile.
    > It gets installed in Internet Explorer as well, actually guess that
    > comes first.
    >
    > I guess this is like the Ask Toolbar, either don't ask for it, or
    > you don't realize
    > that it is not something that can simply be uninstalled within
    > Tools, Add-ons.
    > Of course I would never install a third party Toolbar, though I do
    > install some extensions that have toolbars, but not use the toolbar.
    >
    > The FAQ at http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1241
    > the actual item is 1253 so try http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1253
    > but that does not uninstall it..

  3. Re: AVG Safe Search -- can it be uninstalled

    From the AVG Free support FAQ's

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > How can AVG Safe Search be permanently uninstalled.
    >
    > AVG Safe Search (comes with new "AVG Anti Virus Free", version 8
    > install) is similar to McAfee Site Advisor, and I can only disable
    > it. (not uninstall). Probably chose
    > to accept the add-on as something that I would "try" just to see what
    > it did.
    >
    > In 2.0.0.14, it prevented use of "Enter" on my system, and other
    > problems for other users. On Fx3 it shows the busy throbber icon for
    > each Google
    > search returned item. Has to be disabled on each new profile.
    > It gets installed automatically into Firefox, and any new Firefox profile.
    > It gets installed in Internet Explorer as well, actually guess that
    > comes first.
    >
    > I guess this is like the Ask Toolbar, either don't ask for it, or
    > you don't realize
    > that it is not something that can simply be uninstalled within
    > Tools, Add-ons.
    > Of course I would never install a third party Toolbar, though I do
    > install some extensions that have toolbars, but not use the toolbar.
    >
    > The FAQ at http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1241
    > the actual item is 1253 so try http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1253
    > but that does not uninstall it..

  4. Re: AVG Safe Search -- can it be uninstalled

    > From the AVG Free support FAQ's
    [clipped directions in FAQ 1252 to reinstall without LinkScanner ]

    > I did this, when prompted, I chose Remove Components as Setup Type, then
    > just kept pressing Next until finished.

    Hi David W.,

    Seems like a lot of work.

    Since you removed the component, did it remove
    the "AVG Safe Search" from Add-ons of your existing profiles, and does
    it remove warning of not having all components on the Overview, and
    exclamation point on top of it's icon on the System Task Tray. // David M.

  5. Re: AVG Safe Search -- can it be uninstalled

    David McRitchie wrote:

    >> From the AVG Free support FAQ's

    > [clipped directions in FAQ 1252 to reinstall without LinkScanner ]
    >>
    >> I did this, when prompted, I chose Remove Components as Setup Type,
    >> then just kept pressing Next until finished.

    > Hi David W.,
    >
    > Seems like a lot of work.
    > Since you removed the component, did it remove the "AVG Safe Search"
    > from Add-ons of your existing profiles, and does
    > it remove warning of not having all components on the Overview, and
    > exclamation point on top of it's icon on the System Task Tray. //
    > David M.

    It was not really alot of work. I had not noticed the addon addition but
    it is not there now. It also removes the component from the list of
    components and removes the exclamation from the tray icon. It IS what
    you want to do, I think.

  6. Re: AVG Safe Search -- can it be uninstalled

    > David McRitchie wrote:
    >>
    >>> From the AVG Free support FAQ's

    >> [clipped directions in FAQ 1252 to reinstall without LinkScanner ]
    >>>
    >>> I did this, when prompted, I chose Remove Components as Setup Type,
    >>> then just kept pressing Next until finished.

    >> Hi David W.,
    >> Seems like a lot of work.
    >> Since you removed the component, did it remove the "AVG Safe Search"
    >> from Add-ons of your existing profiles, and does
    >> it remove warning of not having all components on the Overview, and
    >> exclamation point on top of it's icon on the System Task Tray. // David M.
    >
    > It was not really alot of work. I had not noticed the addon addition but
    > it is not there now. It also removes the component from the list of
    > components and removes the exclamation from the tray icon. It IS what
    > you want to do, I think.

    During the first attempt I was told to install KB 929547 on my Vista
    Home Basic (32bit), actually sounded like it might solve problem, since
    it addressed some delays, but didn't help. Finally got through the
    reinstall (should have had AVG & Firefox down before reinstalling with parameters
    indicated in AVG's FAQ 1252 ).
    And it did indeed remove the add-on from all profiles, and remove
    exclamation from the tray icon, and removed component from the list
    of components. Thanks, // David McRitchie

+ Reply to Thread