http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries - Mozilla

This is a discussion on http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries - Mozilla ; I can get to other articles at MozillaZine but one of the *most* important articles now appears to be missing. :config_entries" target="_blank">http://kb.mozillazine.org/About :config_entries went through this once before, and here it is, it can be found using :config_Entries" target="_blank">http://kb.mozillazine.org/About :config_Entries ...

  1. http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    I can get to other articles at MozillaZine but one of the *most* important
    articles now appears to be missing.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    went through this once before, and here it is, it can be found using
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_Entries
    and it redirects itself to the original which is then mysteriously found.
    Same complaint Dec 29, 2007 as seen at the bottom of
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talk:About:config_entries

    --
    HTH,

  2. Re: http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    "David McRitchie" writes:

    > I can get to other articles at MozillaZine but one of the *most* important
    > articles now appears to be missing.
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    I have no problem accessing the above link.

    --
    Carl

  3. Re: http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    "Tony Mechelynck" wrote in message news:srGdnZgm-ed2IbDVnZ2dnUVZ_tvinZ2d@mozilla.org...
    > On 16/05/08 18:36, David McRitchie wrote:
    >> I can get to other articles at MozillaZine but one of the *most*
    >> important
    >> articles now appears to be missing.
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    >>
    >> went through this once before, and here it is, it can be found using
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_Entries
    >> and it redirects itself to the original which is then mysteriously found.
    >> Same complaint Dec 29, 2007 as seen at the bottom of
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talk:About:config_entries
    >>

    > yeah, and same as that other time, it never failed me, even with
    > "entries" all lowercase.
    >
    > For the record, that's one of the KB pages I'm "watching" so I ought to
    > see any material changes to the page.
    >
    > Maybe your timeout is too short, and the page displays a XUL error page
    > the first time you try to access it? -- Not sure which pref is
    > responsible: I have

    , but I don't know if that's it.

    That did it, thanks Tony, Glad someone's watching the chicken coop sure didn't
    appreciate the removals by Jason, as I point to an option and the
    option was removed and takes several clicks through Categories to
    find it by name, and certainly impossible to use "Find" in one location
    when you have no idea what you are looking for. There were about 250
    articles now without really adding new material over a thousand.

    Wondered if that will fix the new SUMO pages as well
    as several simply don't format first time. Well it a bit different now
    this time says http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Options_window
    is not found, but second attempt if does appear completely formatted.

    This is really going to impact people trying to use the new "HELP".

    Actually wonder if operating system is involved with the delay
    I am using Windows Vista Basic Home (32 bit).

  4. Re: http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    On 16/05/08 19:34, David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Tony Mechelynck" wrote in message
    >> On 16/05/08 18:36, David McRitchie wrote:
    >>> I can get to other articles at MozillaZine but one of the *most*
    >>> important
    >>> articles now appears to be missing.
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    >>>
    >>> went through this once before, and here it is, it can be found using
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_Entries
    >>> and it redirects itself to the original which is then mysteriously
    >>> found.
    >>> Same complaint Dec 29, 2007 as seen at the bottom of
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talk:About:config_entries
    >>>

    >> yeah, and same as that other time, it never failed me, even with
    >> "entries" all lowercase.
    >>
    >> For the record, that's one of the KB pages I'm "watching" so I ought
    >> to see any material changes to the page.
    >>
    >> Maybe your timeout is too short, and the page displays a XUL error
    >> page the first time you try to access it? -- Not sure which pref is
    >> responsible: I have

    > , but I don't know if that's it.
    >
    > That did it, thanks Tony, Glad someone's watching the chicken coop sure
    > didn't appreciate the removals by Jason, as I point to an option and the
    > option was removed and takes several clicks through Categories to find
    > it by name, and certainly impossible to use "Find" in one location
    > when you have no idea what you are looking for. There were about 250
    > articles now without really adding new material over a thousand.
    >
    > Wondered if that will fix the new SUMO pages as well
    > as several simply don't format first time. Well it a bit different now
    > this time says http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Options_window
    > is not found, but second attempt if does appear completely formatted.
    >
    > This is really going to impact people trying to use the new "HELP".

    I've had a few looks at SUMO but I don't like it as much as the various
    available wikis -- e.g. the Mozillazine KB. The more I use it, and the
    more the free-for-all Wiki philosopy beats them all. Try to regulate it
    a little more (as in SUMO, where any change has to be "approved" before
    it is published) and you lose some of the Bazaar qualities in "favour"
    of the corresponding Cathedral shortcomings.

    One other thing which doesn't work either is the way comments are added:
    in practice, most of the comments are added by anonymous users, but
    anonymous users cannot see replies: so you ask a question, but there's
    no way you can see any replies? What's that for a silly architecture?

    > Actually wonder if operating system is involved with the delay
    > I am using Windows Vista Basic Home (32 bit).

    Well, my processor is also ix86 32-bit (AMD Duron single-chip clocked at
    1.2 GHz), and I suppose my fast Internet line helps too (ADSL, 4 MBaud
    in theory for download, or 4 Mbit/s, in practice up to 300 kbyte/s, or
    less depending on what the other end can deliver; rather less than that
    for upload; note that 1 byte is between 8 and 10 bits since parity bits
    etc. are included in the baud count), but my OS is different (openSUSE
    Linux 10.3, based on a Linux kernel named "2.6.22.17-0.1-default").

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    You will be a winner today. Pick a fight with a four-year-old.

  5. Re: http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    On 5/16/08 9:47 PM, _Tony Mechelynck_ spoke thusly:
    > On 16/05/08 19:34, David McRitchie wrote:
    >
    >> Wondered if that will fix the new SUMO pages as well
    >> as several simply don't format first time. Well it a bit different now
    >> this time says http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Options_window
    >> is not found, but second attempt if does appear completely formatted.

    I don't know what you mean by "formatted", but there are a couple of
    things to be aware of there:

    * The Mozilla webdev team has been working hard for around two months
    now to make sure the site runs quickly, and won't cause problems when
    used for in-product help. There are quite a few tasks on the list to
    make that happen.
    (see 0.6)

    * The page you cited above is eventually going to be removed. The
    official version is .
    (For the reason behind it, see
    .)

    >> This is really going to impact people trying to use the new "HELP".

    > I've had a few looks at SUMO but I don't like it as much as the various
    > available wikis -- e.g. the Mozillazine KB. The more I use it, and the
    > more the free-for-all Wiki philosopy beats them all. Try to regulate it
    > a little more (as in SUMO, where any change has to be "approved" before
    > it is published) and you lose some of the Bazaar qualities in "favour"
    > of the corresponding Cathedral shortcomings.

    When a contributor reaches the point that we can trust them to edit
    pages on their own, they are promoted to senior editor (a.k.a.
    approver), and can approver their own edits, as well as others waiting
    for review. The current number of contributors who can approve their own
    edits is 52.

    > One other thing which doesn't work either is the way comments are added:
    > in practice, most of the comments are added by anonymous users, but
    > anonymous users cannot see replies: so you ask a question, but there's
    > no way you can see any replies? What's that for a silly architecture?

    Article comments are for article feedback, not user support questions.
    We had a problem with people using the text field for support questions,
    and have taken measures to eliminate that (such as hiding the text area,
    forcing users to read a blurb about where to go if they need more help).
    See:

    For the most part, we've cut it down from ~60 support comments per day
    to ~4; but I'd still like to tweak the wording in the "Still need help" box.
    --
    Chris Ilias

  6. Re: http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    "Chris Ilias"
    > I don't know what you mean by "formatted", but there are a couple of
    > things to be aware of there:

    Many SUMO pages come up without style (as in View, Style, No Style)
    but hitting F5 will bring it up styled. Also page will be show as non existing
    but hitting F5 again will bring it up. Minefield 3.0

+ Reply to Thread