MOZILLA WILL NOT OPEN - Mozilla

This is a discussion on MOZILLA WILL NOT OPEN - Mozilla ; I have just installed Mozilla on my Dell desk top as an alternative to the latest version of Internet Explorer (which I do not like). Unfortunately, when I try to open Mozilla the screen only displays the banner and then ...

  1. MOZILLA WILL NOT OPEN

    I have just installed Mozilla on my Dell desk top as an alternative to the
    latest version of Internet Explorer (which I do not like). Unfortunately,
    when I try to open Mozilla the screen only displays the banner and then
    egg-times. Any reason for this or is just crap software?

  2. Re: MOZILLA WILL NOT OPEN

    "Ross Bingley" ...
    > I have just installed Mozilla on my Dell desk top as an alternative to the
    > latest version of Internet Explorer (which I do not like). Unfortunately,
    > when I try to open Mozilla the screen only displays the banner and then
    > egg-times. Any reason for this or is just crap software?

    What are egg times.

    Was this a first time installation of Firefox for you.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile
    and what version did you install -- the current one is actually 2.0.0.14
    There may be valid reasons for a new user to start with a Beta, if you are
    basically a tester or system support person anyway.

    Have you tried starting Firefox in Safe Mode.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

    Was this a new installation or had you carried your old profile onto
    new system. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile

    Did you do anything outside of the ordinary when you installed Firefox.

    If this is a new computer and you are talking about IE, then it is
    probably Vista. You might find some things mainly for Vista on
    my page, but some definitely applies to Firefox.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/vista/vista.htm
    --
    HTH,

  3. Re: MOZILLA WILL NOT OPEN

    On 16/05/08 18:25, David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Ross Bingley" ...
    >> I have just installed Mozilla on my Dell desk top as an alternative to
    >> the latest version of Internet Explorer (which I do not like).
    >> Unfortunately, when I try to open Mozilla the screen only displays the
    >> banner and then egg-times. Any reason for this or is just crap software?

    > What are egg times.

    From the New Oxford Dictionary of English:
    «egg timer /noun/ a device for measuring the time required to cook a
    boiled egg, traditionally a sealed glass container with a narrow neck in
    the middle through which, when the flask is inverted, sand flows for a
    fixed amount of time.»

    I guess I would call that an hourglass; but I like the wording
    verbosity. ;-)

    > Was this a first time installation of Firefox for you.
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile
    > and what version did you install -- the current one is actually 2.0.0.14
    > There may be valid reasons for a new user to start with a Beta, if you
    > are basically a tester or system support person anyway.
    >
    > Have you tried starting Firefox in Safe Mode.
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
    >
    > Was this a new installation or had you carried your old profile onto
    > new system. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile
    >
    > Did you do anything outside of the ordinary when you installed Firefox.
    >
    > If this is a new computer and you are talking about IE, then it is
    > probably Vista. You might find some things mainly for Vista on
    > my page, but some definitely applies to Firefox.
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/vista/vista.htm

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is
    supposed to be doing at the moment.

  4. Re: MOZILLA WILL NOT OPEN

    "Tony Mechelynck"
    >> What are egg times.

    > From the New Oxford Dictionary of English:
    > «egg timer /noun/ a device for measuring the time required to cook a

    Oh it was a typo, but I can't imagine seeing only an hourglass. I guess
    a three minute egg-timer (usually very narrow) sounds better than an hour.
    But people are going to complain about waiting even if only three minutes .
    But he did say "Will Not Open" in CAPS nonetheless (must be new to newsgroups).
    Would really like to know what was actually seen and if Firefox does eventually come up.
    Can't work with incomplete descriptions.

    If Firefox does come up and takes a minute or two to come up, the original poster, Ross,
    should be aware that Internet Explorer is already loaded when Windows is brought up.
    One way to avoid the problem is to avoid closing Firefox making use of tabs, which are
    a lot easier to work with in Firefox than in IE (or at least look better).
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm
    --
    HTH,

  5. Re: MOZILLA WILL NOT OPEN

    On 16/05/08 19:03, David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Tony Mechelynck"
    >>> What are egg times.

    >> From the New Oxford Dictionary of English:
    >> «egg timer /noun/ a device for measuring the time required to cook a

    > Oh it was a typo, but I can't imagine seeing only an hourglass. I guess
    > a three minute egg-timer (usually very narrow) sounds better than an hour.
    > But people are going to complain about waiting even if only three
    > minutes .

    Yeah, well my native language (French) doesn't make the distinction: "un
    sablier" is a sand timing device, regardless of whether the sand runs
    (from one glass reversal to the next) for three minutes, one hour, one
    human life or the entire existence of the universe ;-)

    > But he did say "Will Not Open" in CAPS nonetheless (must be new to
    > newsgroups).
    > Would really like to know what was actually seen and if Firefox does
    > eventually come up.
    > Can't work with incomplete descriptions.

    Indeed. Sounds like the window frame decorations (titlebar and borders)
    came up, then only a, well, glass timer ;-) for the rest. It does take
    some time for Gecko to display the "chrome" and "content" of the Firefox
    window (how long depends on system load and, if using Session Restore or
    a multitab homepage, on the number of tabs), while the titlebar and
    window borders are displayed by Windows with hardly any processing.

    > If Firefox does come up and takes a minute or two to come up, the
    > original poster, Ross,
    > should be aware that Internet Explorer is already loaded when Windows is
    > brought up.
    > One way to avoid the problem is to avoid closing Firefox

    ....by...

    > making use of
    > tabs, which are
    > a lot easier to work with in Firefox than in IE (or at least look better).

    Until IE6 (which I used on XP until I decided to scrap billgatesware in
    favour of Linux) there were simply no tabs in IE. To see two pages
    simultaneously with IE, you had to open them in two windows.

    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm

    Yeah. I seem to remember that Firefox 1.0 used to have a "Quick Launch"
    mode which would start it (showing an icon in the system tray but no
    windows) at Windows startup; however according to the Mozillazine KB and
    one bug record (259828) to which it points, that feature seems to have
    been removed at some indeterminate point in the past, and later (Sep.
    2004) the pref itself was removed from all of Mozilla Suite, Firefox,
    Thunderbird and Sunbird after noting that it wasn't used anymore. But
    I'm starting to doubt: did I see it in Fx 1.0, or only on Netscape 6?
    Anyway, it's history by now.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    I love this ****ing University, and this University loves ****ing me.

  6. Re: MOZILLA WILL NOT OPEN

    "Tony Mechelynck"
    > Yeah. I seem to remember that Firefox 1.0 used to have a "Quick Launch" mode which would start it (showing an icon in the system
    > tray but no windows) at Windows startup; however according to the Mozillazine KB and one bug record (259828) to which it points,
    > that feature seems to have been removed at some indeterminate point in the past, and later (Sep. 2004) the pref itself was removed
    > from all of Mozilla Suite, Firefox, Thunderbird and Sunbird after noting that it wasn't used anymore. But I'm starting to doubt:
    > did I see it in Fx 1.0, or only on Netscape 6? Anyway, it's history by now.

    It's still in a recent posting: (no spaces in the url) can't make the short link
    with just the message-id anymore.

    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...a6be9bbed15128

    The addon does not appear to be at addons.mozilla.org

    SourceForge.net: Firefox Preloader
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader

  7. Re: MOZILLA WILL NOT OPEN

    On 16.05.2008 10:06, Ross Bingley wrote:

    > I have just installed Mozilla on my Dell desk top as an alternative to the
    > latest version of Internet Explorer (which I do not like). Unfortunately,
    > when I try to open Mozilla the screen only displays the banner and then
    > egg-times. Any reason for this or is just crap software?

    You installed "Mozilla" ... Mozilla what?

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  8. Re: MOZILLA WILL NOT OPEN

    On 5/16/08 2:13 PM, _Tony Mechelynck_ spoke thusly:
    > Yeah. I seem to remember that Firefox 1.0 used to have a "Quick Launch"
    > mode which would start it (showing an icon in the system tray but no
    > windows) at Windows startup; however according to the Mozillazine KB and
    > one bug record (259828) to which it points, that feature seems to have
    > been removed at some indeterminate point in the past, and later (Sep.
    > 2004) the pref itself was removed from all of Mozilla Suite, Firefox,
    > Thunderbird and Sunbird after noting that it wasn't used anymore. But
    > I'm starting to doubt: did I see it in Fx 1.0, or only on Netscape 6?
    > Anyway, it's history by now.

    Quick Launch was never in Firefox. The pref was in firefox.js, but the
    feature was never there. It was a phantom pref.

    --
    Chris Ilias