Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac. - Mozilla ; Since Netscape is no longer being maintained, I am trying to wean myself off of it by moving to Firefox. However, I seem to constantly be having problems with the password manager to the extent that I am frequently forced ...

  1. Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac.

    Since Netscape is no longer being maintained, I am trying to wean
    myself off of it by moving to Firefox. However, I seem to
    constantly be having problems with the password manager to the
    extent that I am frequently forced to go back to Netscape to
    access some of my accounts.

    I want to know if anyone has any ideas about this.

    I'm using:
    Mac OS 10.4.11 on G5 iMac
    Firefox 2.0.0.14

    The kind of behaviors I see is the following:

    When entering a User ID and Password, frequently the id check
    will fail. If I try saving the ID and password when prompted and
    then going in and checking the info that was stored in the
    password manager, it will sometimes show one of the fields as
    blank (even though both were entered). Frequently, the password
    will show up as all uppercase instead of mixed case as I entered
    it (and yes, I have triple-checked the caps lock).

    If I go back to Netscape 7.2 and try any of these things, they
    always work perfectly on the same webpages.

    Does anyone know of fixes or workarounds for this?

    --
    Jeff Wiseman
    to reply, just remove ALLTHESPAM

  2. Re: Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac.

    Jeff Wiseman wrote:

    > Since Netscape is no longer being maintained, I am trying to wean myself
    > off of it by moving to Firefox. However, I seem to constantly be having
    > problems with the password manager to the extent that I am frequently
    > forced to go back to Netscape to access some of my accounts.
    >
    > I want to know if anyone has any ideas about this.
    >
    > I'm using:
    > Mac OS 10.4.11 on G5 iMac
    > Firefox 2.0.0.14
    >
    > The kind of behaviors I see is the following:
    >
    > When entering a User ID and Password, frequently the id check will fail.
    > If I try saving the ID and password when prompted and then going in and
    > checking the info that was stored in the password manager, it will
    > sometimes show one of the fields as blank (even though both were
    > entered). Frequently, the password will show up as all uppercase instead
    > of mixed case as I entered it (and yes, I have triple-checked the caps
    > lock).
    >
    > If I go back to Netscape 7.2 and try any of these things, they always
    > work perfectly on the same webpages.
    >
    > Does anyone know of fixes or workarounds for this?

    I have no problems with user ids and passwords on the Mac using Firefox.

    How are you entering the user id/ password when it fails? on which
    sites? Some sites don't accept all browsers, and if we knew which sites
    it would be beneficial.

    Some sites use non-standard methods for the userid and/or password, and
    many do this on purpose, as part of their security scheme, again
    providing the specific pages (urls) it fails on would be beneficial.

    Some sites use a different cursor/character set for passwords or only
    display the password in all caps because they ignore caps or no caps,
    once again, mentioning the specific site would be beneficial in
    attempting to resolve the issue.

  3. Re: Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac.

    Jeff Wiseman schreef:

    > Since Netscape is no longer being maintained, I am trying to wean myself
    > off of it by moving to Firefox. However, I seem to constantly be having
    > problems with the password manager to the extent that I am frequently
    > forced to go back to Netscape to access some of my accounts.
    >
    > I want to know if anyone has any ideas about this.
    >
    > I'm using:
    > Mac OS 10.4.11 on G5 iMac
    > Firefox 2.0.0.14
    >
    > The kind of behaviors I see is the following:
    >
    > When entering a User ID and Password, frequently the id check will fail.
    > If I try saving the ID and password when prompted and then going in and
    > checking the info that was stored in the password manager, it will
    > sometimes show one of the fields as blank (even though both were
    > entered). Frequently, the password will show up as all uppercase instead
    > of mixed case as I entered it (and yes, I have triple-checked the caps
    > lock).
    >
    > If I go back to Netscape 7.2 and try any of these things, they always
    > work perfectly on the same webpages.
    >
    > Does anyone know of fixes or workarounds for this?

    Did you migrate your Netscape user profile to Firefox?
    Are you still using this migrated profile for NS7.2? If so, setup a new
    user profile, start/run:
    "firefox.exe -profilemanager".
    You can copy bookmarks and others, later on. Refer to
    for the whole enchillada: earch for
    profiles....
    I think you should to leave the introduction of your passwords to
    Firefox' password management (see also, Tools/Options/tab
    Security/section Passwords).

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

    (MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)

  4. Re: Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac.

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > I have no problems with user ids and passwords on the Mac using Firefox.
    >
    > How are you entering the user id/ password when it fails? on which
    > sites? Some sites don't accept all browsers, and if we knew which sites
    > it would be beneficial.
    >
    > Some sites use non-standard methods for the userid and/or password, and
    > many do this on purpose, as part of their security scheme, again
    > providing the specific pages (urls) it fails on would be beneficial.
    >
    > Some sites use a different cursor/character set for passwords or only
    > display the password in all caps because they ignore caps or no caps,
    > once again, mentioning the specific site would be beneficial in
    > attempting to resolve the issue.

    I was primarily looking to see if anyone has had a similar
    experience. Once I DO manage to get the ID/password into the
    manager correctly, it seems to work fine.

    However, I need to watch a little more closely and take note of
    those sites I had problems with. One of the ones that I've not
    been able to succeed with is:

    https://www.myuhc.com

    I use a mixed case password but it always fails and if I say to
    save the ID/password, the password is recorded as all uppercase
    in the password manager. Obviously, if it is showing what is
    being passed to the website, that is the reason it is failing.
    Again though, Netscape 7.2 seems to work with it.

    --
    Jeff Wiseman
    to reply, just remove ALLTHESPAM

  5. Re: Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac.

    Melchert wrote:
    > Did you migrate your Netscape user profile to Firefox?
    > Are you still using this migrated profile for NS7.2? If so, setup a new
    > user profile, start/run:

    Yes I am, is there a potential problem with this?

    > "firefox.exe -profilemanager".
    > You can copy bookmarks and others, later on. Refer to
    > for the whole enchillada: earch for
    > profiles....

    I'll check it out but again, is there some issue with migrating
    the profile over?

    > I think you should to leave the introduction of your passwords to
    > Firefox' password management (see also, Tools/Options/tab
    > Security/section Passwords).

    I think that I was--at least for the new passwords that I was trying

    --
    Jeff Wiseman
    to reply, just remove ALLTHESPAM

  6. Re: Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac.

    Jeff Wiseman wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> I have no problems with user ids and passwords on the Mac using Firefox.
    >>
    >> How are you entering the user id/ password when it fails? on which
    >> sites? Some sites don't accept all browsers, and if we knew which
    >> sites it would be beneficial.
    >>
    >> Some sites use non-standard methods for the userid and/or password,
    >> and many do this on purpose, as part of their security scheme, again
    >> providing the specific pages (urls) it fails on would be beneficial.
    >>
    >> Some sites use a different cursor/character set for passwords or only
    >> display the password in all caps because they ignore caps or no caps,
    >> once again, mentioning the specific site would be beneficial in
    >> attempting to resolve the issue.

    > I was primarily looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience.
    > Once I DO manage to get the ID/password into the manager correctly, it
    > seems to work fine.
    >
    > However, I need to watch a little more closely and take note of those
    > sites I had problems with. One of the ones that I've not been able to
    > succeed with is:
    >
    > https://www.myuhc.com
    >
    > I use a mixed case password but it always fails and if I say to save the
    > ID/password, the password is recorded as all uppercase in the password
    > manager. Obviously, if it is showing what is being passed to the
    > website, that is the reason it is failing. Again though, Netscape 7.2
    > seems to work with it.

    According to the site the only versions of Firefox supported are
    Firefox 1.07 and 1.5
    They do support
    Netscape 7.2, 8.0.4 and 8.1

    I suggest you get in touch with them concerning the upgrade to Firefox
    2x versions

  7. Re: Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac.

    On 15-05-2008 05:29 CET, Jeff Wiseman composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert wrote:
    >> Did you migrate your Netscape user profile to Firefox?
    >> Are you still using this migrated profile for NS7.2? If so, setup a
    >> new user profile, start/run:

    > Yes I am, is there a potential problem with this?

    Well, I was thinking of another of my migrations, that was from Netscape
    7.x to the Mozilla suite, while the profile was shared between the two
    applications. That was trouble, indeed.

    However, when migrating from Netscape 7 to Firefox, you've got a new
    Firefox user profile created containing a new password data base. Can
    you recall if your Netscape sign-on data, userid and password, was
    copied at the first invocation of Firefox after its installation?

    >> "firefox.exe -profilemanager".
    >> You can copy bookmarks and others, later on. Refer to
    >> for the whole enchillada: earch for
    >> profiles....

    > I'll check it out but again, is there some issue with migrating the
    > profile over?

    I cannot rule that out for the moment, as you did have problems with the
    signon data, IIRC.

    >> I think you should to leave the introduction of your passwords to
    >> Firefox' password management (see also, Tools/Options/tab
    >> Security/section Passwords).

    > I think that I was--at least for the new passwords that I was trying

    That should be fine.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  8. Re: Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac.

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 15-05-2008 05:29 CET, Jeff Wiseman composed this enchanting statement:
    >> I'll check it out but again, is there some issue with migrating the
    >> profile over?

    > I cannot rule that out for the moment, as you did have problems with the
    > signon data, IIRC.

    Actually, I didn't have problems with most of the PWs I've tried,
    just a few so it does seem to be site related.

    And Moz Champion (Dan) did identify that the one site I could
    remember having problems with was not rated for the recent
    release of Firefox.

    However, it does seem odd that when I type the password in via
    Firefox that it somehow seems to get changed before it even gets
    to FireFox's password manager (which is sequentially prior to it
    handing off to the site I'm trying to login to)

    --
    Jeff Wiseman
    to reply, just remove ALLTHESPAM

  9. Re: Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac.

    Jeff Wiseman wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 15-05-2008 05:29 CET, Jeff Wiseman composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> I'll check it out but again, is there some issue with migrating the
    >>> profile over?

    >> I cannot rule that out for the moment, as you did have problems with
    >> the signon data, IIRC.

    > Actually, I didn't have problems with most of the PWs I've tried, just a
    > few so it does seem to be site related.
    >

    > And Moz Champion (Dan) did identify that the one site I could remember
    > having problems with was not rated for the recent release of Firefox.
    >
    > However, it does seem odd that when I type the password in via Firefox
    > that it somehow seems to get changed before it even gets to FireFox's
    > password manager (which is sequentially prior to it handing off to the
    > site I'm trying to login to)

    Why do you think it is being changed prior to the password getting to
    the manager? The password box you see on the screen is a reflection of
    the information sent BACK by the website. The password manager in
    Firefox already has the information, the reflection is shown to you so
    you can read it.

  10. Re: Firefox doesn't seem to handle passwords correctly on Mac.

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Jeff Wiseman wrote:
    >
    >> However, it does seem odd that when I type the password in via Firefox
    >> that it somehow seems to get changed before it even gets to FireFox's
    >> password manager (which is sequentially prior to it handing off to the
    >> site I'm trying to login to)
    >>

    > Why do you think it is being changed prior to the password getting to
    > the manager? The password box you see on the screen is a reflection of
    > the information sent BACK by the website. The password manager in
    > Firefox already has the information, the reflection is shown to you so
    > you can read it.

    That was my point. My guess was that the password manager gets
    the info BEFORE the web site does. Hence, if the password manager
    receives it in an altered form (as represented in the password
    manager when you view passwords), then the web site is likely
    getting the same bad data. The alteration is occurring somewhere
    between the keyboard and the password manager save function.

    If I try saving a password, the manager will show an altered
    password/ID pair when I have failed to get in, but if I succeed
    in getting in, the password manager will have also saved a
    correct ID. In other words, the password/ID pair saved in the
    manager does seem to accurately represent what was actually sent
    to the site.

    --
    Jeff Wiseman
    to reply, just remove ALLTHESPAM