Width adjustment - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Width adjustment - Mozilla ; My own picture site (below) is written for 1024 768 resolution, but in the css stylesheet is a width 100% command. When viewed in Firefox the page spills off the right hand side with no means of viewing that ...

  1. Width adjustment

    My own picture site (below) is written for 1024 768 resolution, but in
    the css stylesheet is a width 100% command.
    When viewed in Firefox the page spills off the right hand side with no
    means of viewing that part of the page.
    Using IE7, Opera and Safari, the page adjusts so there is no horizontal
    overlap.
    How can I get FF to do this?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  2. Re: Width adjustment

    On 9-5-2008 19:36, Jim S wrote:
    > My own picture site (below) is written for 1024 768 resolution, but in
    > the css stylesheet is a width 100% command.
    > When viewed in Firefox the page spills off the right hand side with no
    > means of viewing that part of the page.
    > Using IE7, Opera and Safari, the page adjusts so there is no horizontal
    > overlap.
    > How can I get FF to do this?

    In my FF 2.0.0.14, I don't happen to see the problem you describe. I've
    made a screendump and this is how your site looks in my Firefox:

    --
    Regards,

    Roland

  3. Re: Width adjustment

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 20:23:26 +0200, Roland de Ruiter wrote:

    > On 9-5-2008 19:36, Jim S wrote:
    >> My own picture site (below) is written for 1024 768 resolution, but in
    >> the css stylesheet is a width 100% command.
    >> When viewed in Firefox the page spills off the right hand side with no
    >> means of viewing that part of the page.
    >> Using IE7, Opera and Safari, the page adjusts so there is no horizontal
    >> overlap.
    >> How can I get FF to do this?

    > In my FF 2.0.0.14, I don't happen to see the problem you describe. I've
    > made a screendump and this is how your site looks in my Firefox:

    Sorry I am a tit. ;oP
    The problem arises when I check the site out in 800 x 600, just in case
    anyone out there still does that.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  4. Re: Width adjustment

    On 09/05/2008 20:21, Jim S wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 May 2008 20:23:26 +0200, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    >
    >> On 9-5-2008 19:36, Jim S wrote:
    >>> My own picture site (below) is written for 1024 768 resolution, but in
    >>> the css stylesheet is a width 100% command.
    >>> When viewed in Firefox the page spills off the right hand side with no
    >>> means of viewing that part of the page.
    >>> Using IE7, Opera and Safari, the page adjusts so there is no horizontal
    >>> overlap.
    >>> How can I get FF to do this?

    >> In my FF 2.0.0.14, I don't happen to see the problem you describe. I've
    >> made a screendump and this is how your site looks in my Firefox:
    >>

    > Sorry I am a tit. ;oP
    > The problem arises when I check the site out in 800 x 600, just in case
    > anyone out there still does that.

    I suspect it's the interpretation of the . In the first row you use
    20% to define and have 6 columns, in the second you have a colspan=2
    that creates a larger width but all images are same width.
    Try adding a border=1 to the table and check for unwanted columns in
    some rows. You may need to make the colspan in the first row =3 and
    delete the colspan=2 in other rows.

    --
    wtwjgc (Joe)

  5. Re: Width adjustment

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 21:03:11 +0100, wtwjgc wrote:

    > On 09/05/2008 20:21, Jim S wrote:

    >>> In my FF 2.0.0.14, I don't happen to see the problem you describe. I've
    >>> made a screendump and this is how your site looks in my Firefox:
    >>>

    >> Sorry I am a tit. ;oP
    >> The problem arises when I check the site out in 800 x 600, just in case
    >> anyone out there still does that.

    > I suspect it's the interpretation of the . In the first row you use
    > 20% to define and have 6 columns, in the second you have a colspan=2
    > that creates a larger width but all images are same width.
    > Try adding a border=1 to the table and check for unwanted columns in
    > some rows. You may need to make the colspan in the first row =3 and
    > delete the colspan=2 in other rows.

    Thanks. I'll go in and have a look, but why then do IE, Opera and Safari
    render ok?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  6. Re: Width adjustment

    The date and time was 5/9/2008 12:21 PM, and on a whim, Jim S pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > On Fri, 09 May 2008 20:23:26 +0200, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    >
    >> On 9-5-2008 19:36, Jim S wrote:
    >>> My own picture site (below) is written for 1024 768 resolution, but in
    >>> the css stylesheet is a width 100% command.
    >>> When viewed in Firefox the page spills off the right hand side with no
    >>> means of viewing that part of the page.
    >>> Using IE7, Opera and Safari, the page adjusts so there is no horizontal
    >>> overlap.
    >>> How can I get FF to do this?

    >> In my FF 2.0.0.14, I don't happen to see the problem you describe. I've
    >> made a screendump and this is how your site looks in my Firefox:
    >>

    > Sorry I am a tit. ;oP
    > The problem arises when I check the site out in 800 x 600, just in case
    > anyone out there still does that.

    I was able to shrink my "window" to 767 px and it didn't spill over. I
    adjusted my Bookmark pane to as small as the page would allow, and I
    have a JS that tells me the width of the current window.

    I see you have each image at 100 (500 total width). Not accounting for
    other items (cell padding, etc), you might be exceeding 800 total?

    Can I look at jimstyle.css?

    --
    Terry R.

  7. Re: Width adjustment

    On 09/05/2008 21:08, Jim S wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 May 2008 21:03:11 +0100, wtwjgc wrote:
    >
    >> On 09/05/2008 20:21, Jim S wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 09 May 2008 20:23:26 +0200, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Sorry I am a tit. ;oP
    >>> The problem arises when I check the site out in 800 x 600, just in case
    >>> anyone out there still does that.

    >> I suspect it's the interpretation of the . In the first row you use
    >> 20% to define and have 6 columns, in the second you have a colspan=2
    >> that creates a larger width but all images are same width.
    >> Try adding a border=1 to the table and check for unwanted columns in
    >> some rows. You may need to make the colspan in the first row =3 and
    >> delete the colspan=2 in other rows.

    > Thanks. I'll go in and have a look, but why then do IE, Opera and Safari
    > render ok?

    Most probably because the site linking frame dosen't have a doctype and
    doesn't validate. The source does. Try comparing them both.

    --
    wtwjgc (Joe)

  8. Re: Width adjustment

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 13:11:13 -0700, Terry R. wrote:

    > The date and time was 5/9/2008 12:21 PM, and on a whim, Jim S pounded
    > out on the keyboard:

    >>> In my FF 2.0.0.14, I don't happen to see the problem you describe. I've
    >>> made a screendump and this is how your site looks in my Firefox:
    >>>

    >> Sorry I am a tit. ;oP
    >> The problem arises when I check the site out in 800 x 600, just in case
    >> anyone out there still does that.

    > I was able to shrink my "window" to 767 px and it didn't spill over. I
    > adjusted my Bookmark pane to as small as the page would allow, and I
    > have a JS that tells me the width of the current window.
    >
    > I see you have each image at 100 (500 total width). Not accounting for
    > other items (cell padding, etc), you might be exceeding 800 total?
    >
    > Can I look at jimstyle.css?

    /* main table */
    table.sample {
    border-width: 0px;