Profile backup - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Profile backup - Mozilla ; I had to drag out my laptop due to a pc problem & tried to restore FF profile, now I have nothing. I had backed up the profile a few days before pc crash cause I was afraid something bad ...

  1. Profile backup

    I had to drag out my laptop due to a pc problem & tried to restore FF
    profile, now I have nothing. I had backed up the profile a few days
    before pc crash cause I was afraid something bad was going to happen. I
    used MozBackup 1.4.7 to backup to external hard drive, used the restore
    function in MB & now FF is messed up,no bookmarks,no personal toolbar
    folders, etc.. Everything shows up in the profile folder, but FF
    apparently doesn't "see" it. Using FF 2.0.14 on a WinXP machine. It;s
    probably something simple, but I can't figure it out.

    Thanks
    Nancy

  2. Re: Profile backup

    On 08-05-2008 17:49 CET, desertgal composed this enchanting statement:
    > I had to drag out my laptop due to a pc problem & tried to restore FF
    > profile, now I have nothing. I had backed up the profile a few days
    > before pc crash cause I was afraid something bad was going to happen.
    > I used MozBackup 1.4.7 to backup to external hard drive, used the
    > restore function in MB & now FF is messed up,no bookmarks,no personal
    > toolbar folders, etc.. Everything shows up in the profile folder, but
    > FF apparently doesn't "see" it. Using FF 2.0.14 on a WinXP machine.
    > It;s probably something simple, but I can't figure it out.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Nancy

    You'll have to make 'profiles.ini', a kind of profile index, to link to
    your restored profile, in stead of the new default profile. Just a
    matter of careful renaming, I think.
    Besides, it is possible that some files, that require write access, are
    restored as read only. You'll have to change the file attribute for those.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: Profile backup

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 08-05-2008 17:49 CET, desertgal composed this enchanting statement:
    >> I had to drag out my laptop due to a pc problem & tried to restore FF
    >> profile, now I have nothing. I had backed up the profile a few days
    >> before pc crash cause I was afraid something bad was going to
    >> happen. I used MozBackup 1.4.7 to backup to external hard drive,
    >> used the restore function in MB & now FF is messed up,no bookmarks,no
    >> personal toolbar folders, etc.. Everything shows up in the profile
    >> folder, but FF apparently doesn't "see" it. Using FF 2.0.14 on a
    >> WinXP machine. It;s probably something simple, but I can't figure it
    >> out.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Nancy
    >>

    > You'll have to make 'profiles.ini', a kind of profile index, to link
    > to your restored profile, in stead of the new default profile. Just a
    > matter of careful renaming, I think.
    > Besides, it is possible that some files, that require write access,
    > are restored as read only. You'll have to change the file attribute
    > for those.

    Thanks for the reply.
    The profile appears to have restored to the original folder, just
    replaced the older files so do I need to have the profiles.ini? I
    checked some of the files & none are showing as read only. I tried
    creating a new profile & coping the files there, then starting FF with
    the new profile but that didn't work either. I start FF from Profile
    Manager since there are two of us using the browser.

  4. Re: Profile backup

    On 08-05-2008 18:38 CET, desertgal composed this enchanting statement:

    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 08-05-2008 17:49 CET, desertgal composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> I had to drag out my laptop due to a pc problem & tried to restore
    >>> FF profile, now I have nothing. I had backed up the profile a few
    >>> days before pc crash cause I was afraid something bad was going to
    >>> happen. I used MozBackup 1.4.7 to backup to external hard drive,
    >>> used the restore function in MB & now FF is messed up,no
    >>> bookmarks,no personal toolbar folders, etc.. Everything shows up in
    >>> the profile folder, but FF apparently doesn't "see" it. Using FF
    >>> 2.0.14 on a WinXP machine. It;s probably something simple, but I
    >>> can't figure it out.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Nancy
    >>>

    >> You'll have to make 'profiles.ini', a kind of profile index, to link
    >> to your restored profile, in stead of the new default profile. Just a
    >> matter of careful renaming, I think.
    >> Besides, it is possible that some files, that require write access,
    >> are restored as read only. You'll have to change the file attribute
    >> for those.
    >>

    > Thanks for the reply.
    > The profile appears to have restored to the original folder, just
    > replaced the older files so do I need to have the profiles.ini?

    No. That should be fine.

    > I checked some of the files & none are showing as read only. I tried
    > creating a new profile & coping the files there, then starting FF with
    > the new profile but that didn't work either. I start FF from Profile
    > Manager since there are two of us using the browser.

    That should be fine, too. Have a look at 'Restoring a profile backup' in
    this Mozilla support article, it may possibly help to find what went wrong:

    .

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  5. Re: Profile backup

    On 08.05.2008 17:49, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused desertgal to
    generate the following:? :
    > I had to drag out my laptop due to a pc problem & tried to restore FF
    > profile, now I have nothing. I had backed up the profile a few days
    > before pc crash cause I was afraid something bad was going to happen. I
    > used MozBackup 1.4.7 to backup to external hard drive, used the restore
    > function in MB & now FF is messed up,no bookmarks,no personal toolbar
    > folders, etc.. Everything shows up in the profile folder, but FF
    > apparently doesn't "see" it. Using FF 2.0.14 on a WinXP machine. It;s
    > probably something simple, but I can't figure it out.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Nancy

    this was posted here a few days ago - may help you to find things:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    reg

+ Reply to Thread