Twitching - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Twitching - Mozilla ; FF 2.0.0.14 on XP The picture below the menus is moving to the right and then back to it's correct position every time I change page/site. No new add-ons. Any ideas? Doesn't happen with IE7 or Opera -- Jim S ...

  1. Twitching

    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  2. Re: Twitching

    On 08.05.2008 10:44 UK Time, Jim S wrote:
    > FF 2.0.0.14 on XP
    > The picture below the menus is moving to the right and then back to it's
    > correct position every time I change page/site.

    No twitching here with FF 2.0.0.14 on XP.

    I'm actually not quite sure what you mean by "picture below the menus" :-\

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  3. Re: Twitching

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 12:22:23 +0100, Herb wrote:

    > On 08.05.2008 10:44 UK Time, Jim S wrote:
    >> FF 2.0.0.14 on XP
    >> The picture below the menus is moving to the right and then back to it's
    >> correct position every time I change page/site.

    > No twitching here with FF 2.0.0.14 on XP.
    >
    > I'm actually not quite sure what you mean by "picture below the menus" :-\

    Below the toolbars then - anything that is not part of Firefox - the loaded
    page.
    Anyhoo it seems to be associated with Forecastfox l10n add-on (see other
    thread)
    I have uninstalled that and installed plain old Forecastfox which seems to
    be ok (except forecasts on Accuweather are not as accurate as Weather.com
    here in the UK.)
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  4. Re: Twitching

    On 08.05.2008 12:50 UK Time, Jim S wrote:

    > Anyhoo

    Nice one :-)

    > it seems to be associated with Forecastfox l10n add-on (see other
    > thread)
    > I have uninstalled that and installed plain old Forecastfox which seems to
    > be ok (except forecasts on Accuweather are not as accurate as Weather.com
    > here in the UK.)

    I didn't follow the other thread, but I use Accuweather via ForecastFox
    and I'm generally quite happy with it.

    What is this 10n thingy?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: Twitching

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 14:48:09 +0100, Herb wrote:

    > On 08.05.2008 12:50 UK Time, Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> Anyhoo

    > Nice one :-)
    >
    > > it seems to be associated with Forecastfox l10n add-on (see other
    >> thread)
    >> I have uninstalled that and installed plain old Forecastfox which seems to
    >> be ok (except forecasts on Accuweather are not as accurate as Weather.com
    >> here in the UK.)

    > I didn't follow the other thread, but I use Accuweather via ForecastFox
    > and I'm generally quite happy with it.
    >
    > What is this 10n thingy?

    It's a different Forecastfox using Weather.com as its source of data.
    See here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2024
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  6. Re: Twitching

    On 08.05.2008 16:23 UK Time, Jim S wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 May 2008 14:48:09 +0100, Herb wrote:
    >
    >> On 08.05.2008 12:50 UK Time, Jim S wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyhoo

    >> Nice one :-)
    >>
    >> > it seems to be associated with Forecastfox l10n add-on (see other
    >>> thread)
    >>> I have uninstalled that and installed plain old Forecastfox which seems to
    >>> be ok (except forecasts on Accuweather are not as accurate as Weather.com
    >>> here in the UK.)

    >> I didn't follow the other thread, but I use Accuweather via ForecastFox
    >> and I'm generally quite happy with it.
    >>
    >> What is this 10n thingy?

    > It's a different Forecastfox using Weather.com as its source of data.
    > See here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2024

    Thanks, although I suppose I better wait for the twitching to subside
    before I try it :-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  7. Re: Twitching

    Herb wrote:
    > On 08.05.2008 16:23 UK Time, Jim S wrote:

    >>> Nice one :-)

    >>> I didn't follow the other thread, but I use Accuweather via
    >>> ForecastFox and I'm generally quite happy with it.
    >>>
    >>> What is this 10n thingy?

    >> It's a different Forecastfox using Weather.com as its source of data.
    >> See here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2024

    > Thanks, although I suppose I better wait for the twitching to subside
    > before I try it :-)

    do you have adblock or noscript installed...? they both cause twitching...

  8. Re: Twitching

    On 09.05.2008 16:39 UK Time, sean.bean@wizard.net wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    >>> It's a different Forecastfox using Weather.com as its source of data.
    >>> See here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2024

    >> Thanks, although I suppose I better wait for the twitching to subside
    >> before I try it :-)
    >>

    > do you have adblock or noscript installed...? they both cause twitching...

    Thanks, but it's Jim who's suffering from twitching, not me :-)

    Having read Jim's comments about Forecastfox I was mereley tempted to
    try the l10n add-on but decided to stick with Accuweather for the time
    being because according to Jim l10n is the twitching culprit.

    Anyway, in answer to your question re. adblock, I used to have it but
    got rid of it in FF a while back because through a comment from Lee's in
    another thread I came to the conclusion that it is is overkill for my
    purposes.

    FWIW, and veering seriously OT, I now use the Firefox FlashBlock add-on
    recommended by Lee instead and can recommend it (see
    ).

    FlashBlock only deals with Flash. It prevents all Flash content from
    to download and then view the Flash content - in other words it gives
    you control over which Flash animations you want to see.

    Why did I find Adblock overkill, you may wonder: I often found that I
    was getting a rather different 'website experience' than others looking
    at the same website using Firefox without Adblock or Internet Explorer.
    This different perspective isn't always desirable because it can lead to
    misunderstandings.

    On balance I found that I prefer having non-flash adverts etc. switched
    on, although I minimise the nuisance level of the most annoying (i.e.
    animated) adverts by only letting animations run once (rather than over
    and over again, which is the default). I can't quite remember where the
    setting is for this, but I can look it up if you are interested.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  9. Re: Twitching

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 11:39:45 -0400, sean.bean@wizard.net wrote:

    > Herb wrote:

    >>> It's a different Forecastfox using Weather.com as its source of data.
    >>> See here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2024

    >> Thanks, although I suppose I better wait for the twitching to subside
    >> before I try it :-)
    >>

    > do you have adblock or noscript installed...? they both cause twitching...

    Story so-far:
    Twitching and error problem
    Uninstalled Forecastfox|10n
    Twitching stopped
    Installed Forecastfox (other version which is not as accurate)
    Learned that there was a new version |10n so uninstalled the 'other' and
    installed new |10n - error gone, but sometimes twitching
    Uninstalled and installed other (it seems long, but is a matter of seconds)
    Remembered I didn't like it much so I uninstalled it and did a major clean
    of files and registry then reinstalled latest FF|10n.
    So far no twitching, no errors.
    Adblock installed and enabled throughout - no noscript.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  10. Re: Twitching OT

    Herb wrote:
    > On 09.05.2008 16:39 UK Time, sean.bean@wizard.net wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> Thanks, although I suppose I better wait for the twitching to subside
    >>> before I try it :-)
    >>>

    >> do you have adblock or noscript installed...? they both cause
    >> twitching...

    > Thanks, but it's Jim who's suffering from twitching, not me :-)
    >
    > Having read Jim's comments about Forecastfox I was mereley tempted to
    > try the l10n add-on but decided to stick with Accuweather for the time
    > being because according to Jim l10n is the twitching culprit.
    >
    > Anyway, in answer to your question re. adblock, I used to have it but
    > got rid of it in FF a while back because through a comment from Lee's in
    > another thread I came to the conclusion that it is is overkill for my
    > purposes.
    >
    > FWIW, and veering seriously OT, I now use the Firefox FlashBlock add-on
    > recommended by Lee instead and can recommend it (see
    > ).
    >
    > FlashBlock only deals with Flash. It prevents all Flash content from
    > to download and then view the Flash content - in other words it gives
    > you control over which Flash animations you want to see.
    >
    > Why did I find Adblock overkill, you may wonder: I often found that I
    > was getting a rather different 'website experience' than others looking
    > at the same website using Firefox without Adblock or Internet Explorer.
    > This different perspective isn't always desirable because it can lead to
    > misunderstandings.
    >
    > On balance I found that I prefer having non-flash adverts etc. switched
    > on, although I minimise the nuisance level of the most annoying (i.e.
    > animated) adverts by only letting animations run once (rather than over
    > and over again, which is the default). I can't quite remember where the
    > setting is for this, but I can look it up if you are interested.

    i've decided to uninstall all extensions except foxmarks...

    being behind a router firewall... i'm feeling fairly secure... the
    twitching was far more annoying than anything the ads were doing...

+ Reply to Thread