Google Desktop > FF not working? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Google Desktop > FF not working? - Mozilla ; I've been running Google Desktop on my WinXP machine for a couple years. Until TB gets a better search function it's the best way to find wayward emails. Usually GD displays its results in FF, but for the past couple ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Google Desktop > FF not working?

  1. Google Desktop > FF not working?

    I've been running Google Desktop on my WinXP machine for a couple years.
    Until TB gets a better search function it's the best way to find wayward
    emails. Usually GD displays its results in FF, but for the past couple
    weeks GD's results are not displaying and FF has been reporting that
    "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:4664."

    Normal Internet browsing works fine.

    I haven't made any firewall changes. Ideas?

    --
    Mike RJS

  2. Re: Google Desktop > FF not working?

    mike elliott wrote:
    > I've been running Google Desktop on my WinXP machine for a couple years.
    > Until TB gets a better search function it's the best way to find wayward
    > emails. Usually GD displays its results in FF, but for the past couple
    > weeks GD's results are not displaying and FF has been reporting that
    > "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:4664."
    >
    > Normal Internet browsing works fine.
    >
    > I haven't made any firewall changes. Ideas?


    If you paste that address into IE, does it display?

    If not, then its either a firewall issue, or a problem with GD.

    --
    Alex K.

  3. Re: Google Desktop > FF not working?

    On 5/8/2008 4:31 AM Alex K. wrote:

    > mike elliott wrote:
    >> I've been running Google Desktop on my WinXP machine for a couple years.
    >> Until TB gets a better search function it's the best way to find wayward
    >> emails. Usually GD displays its results in FF, but for the past couple
    >> weeks GD's results are not displaying and FF has been reporting that
    >> "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:4664."
    >>
    >> Normal Internet browsing works fine.
    >>
    >> I haven't made any firewall changes. Ideas?

    >
    > If you paste that address into IE, does it display?
    >
    > If not, then its either a firewall issue, or a problem with GD.
    >


    Thanks for the troubleshooting step. If I paste 127.0.0.1:4664 into FF it
    displays:

    (Google Desktop logo)
    Invalid Request
    You requested a page that does not exist.
    You may have reached this page by clicking on an invalid link or bookmark.
    2007 Google

    This suggests that it's not a firewall issue, yes?

    If I do a GD search for something, FF tries to connect to the full URL of
    the search results (in this case:
    http://127.0.0.1:4664/cache?event_id...Yw0&q=squirrel)
    and fails and displays:

    Failed to Connect
    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:4664
    Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.
    * Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
    * Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network
    connection.
    * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy?
    Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

    This suggests it's a GD issue, yes?

    Having said that, my other computer does not have this problem, so it's
    localized to this box only, somehow. I wonder what I broke.

    --
    Mike RJS

  4. Re: Google Desktop > FF not working RESOLVED

    On 5/8/2008 6:50 AM mike elliott wrote:

    > On 5/8/2008 4:31 AM Alex K. wrote:
    >
    >> mike elliott wrote:
    >>> I've been running Google Desktop on my WinXP machine for a couple years.
    >>> Until TB gets a better search function it's the best way to find wayward
    >>> emails. Usually GD displays its results in FF, but for the past couple
    >>> weeks GD's results are not displaying and FF has been reporting that
    >>> "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:4664."
    >>>
    >>> Normal Internet browsing works fine.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't made any firewall changes. Ideas?

    >> If you paste that address into IE, does it display?
    >>
    >> If not, then its either a firewall issue, or a problem with GD.
    >>

    >
    > Thanks for the troubleshooting step. If I paste 127.0.0.1:4664 into FF it
    > displays:
    >
    > (Google Desktop logo)
    > Invalid Request
    > You requested a page that does not exist.
    > You may have reached this page by clicking on an invalid link or bookmark.
    > 2007 Google
    >
    > This suggests that it's not a firewall issue, yes?
    >
    > If I do a GD search for something, FF tries to connect to the full URL of
    > the search results (in this case:
    > http://127.0.0.1:4664/cache?event_id...Yw0&q=squirrel)
    > and fails and displays:
    >
    > Failed to Connect
    > Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:4664
    > Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.
    > * Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
    > * Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network
    > connection.
    > * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy?
    > Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
    >
    > This suggests it's a GD issue, yes?
    >
    > Having said that, my other computer does not have this problem, so it's
    > localized to this box only, somehow. I wonder what I broke.
    >


    Re-installed GD, all is good. Not a FF issue at all.

    --
    Mike RJS

  5. Re: Google Desktop > FF not working RESOLVED

    mike elliott wrote:
    >
    > Re-installed GD, all is good. Not a FF issue at all.
    >

    Glad to hear you got it working.

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread