Throbber - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Throbber - Mozilla ; I was using the customise toolbar operation to set up firefox when apparently I must have removed the throbber by mistake. It's not in the customize drag-to/from box so I'm wondering where it is and if I can get it ...

  1. Throbber

    I was using the customise toolbar operation to set up firefox when
    apparently I must have removed the throbber by mistake. It's not in the
    customize drag-to/from box so I'm wondering where it is and if I can get it
    back?

    Also, since I can't try it out at the moment, in SeaMonkey clicking the
    throbber takes you to a URL, which you can customize. I notice that it's in
    my Firefox about:config but I suspect it was copied over from the SeaMonkey
    installation. Does the throbber take you to a web page, and if not can this
    feature be enabled by the user, say in user.js?

  2. Re: Throbber

    Roger Fink escribió:
    > I was using the customise toolbar operation to set up firefox when
    > apparently I must have removed the throbber by mistake. It's not in the
    > customize drag-to/from box so I'm wondering where it is and if I can get it
    > back?
    >
    > Also, since I can't try it out at the moment, in SeaMonkey clicking the
    > throbber takes you to a URL, which you can customize. I notice that it's in
    > my Firefox about:config but I suspect it was copied over from the SeaMonkey
    > installation. Does the throbber take you to a web page, and if not can this
    > feature be enabled by the user, say in user.js?

    One of them is MR Tech's Local Install

  3. Re: Throbber

    "gato2008chile" wrote in message
    newsOCdnZ3wdPbRN4PVnZ2dnUVZ_rvinZ2d@mozilla.org...
    > Roger Fink escribió:
    >> I was using the customise toolbar operation to set up firefox when
    >> apparently I must have removed the throbber by mistake. It's not in the
    >> customize drag-to/from box so I'm wondering where it is and if I can get
    >> it
    >> back?
    >>
    >> Also, since I can't try it out at the moment, in SeaMonkey clicking the
    >> throbber takes you to a URL, which you can customize. I notice that it's
    >> in
    >> my Firefox about:config but I suspect it was copied over from the
    >> SeaMonkey
    >> installation. Does the throbber take you to a web page, and if not can
    >> this
    >> feature be enabled by the user, say in user.js?
    >>

    > One of them is MR Tech's Local Install

    Or for just throbber functionallity
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...button&cat=all
    which is smaller in size and options for several url's.

  4. Re: Throbber

    Sonny wrote:
    > "gato2008chile" wrote in message
    > newsOCdnZ3wdPbRN4PVnZ2dnUVZ_rvinZ2d@mozilla.org...
    >> Roger Fink escribió:
    >>> I was using the customise toolbar operation to set up firefox when
    >>> apparently I must have removed the throbber by mistake. It's not in
    >>> the customize drag-to/from box so I'm wondering where it is and if
    >>> I can get it
    >>> back?
    >>>
    >>> Also, since I can't try it out at the moment, in SeaMonkey clicking
    >>> the throbber takes you to a URL, which you can customize. I notice
    >>> that it's in
    >>> my Firefox about:config but I suspect it was copied over from the
    >>> SeaMonkey
    >>> installation. Does the throbber take you to a web page, and if not
    >>> can this
    >>> feature be enabled by the user, say in user.js?
    >>>

    >> One of them is MR Tech's Local Install

    > Or for just throbber functionallity
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...button&cat=all
    > which is smaller in size and options for several url's.

    Great find, but how do I get the throbber back in the GUI?

  5. Re: Throbber

    "Roger Fink" wrote in message
    news:RdGdnYtWu46PgoLVnZ2dnUVZ_q2hnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    > Sonny wrote:
    >> "gato2008chile" wrote in message
    >> newsOCdnZ3wdPbRN4PVnZ2dnUVZ_rvinZ2d@mozilla.org...

    >>> One of them is MR Tech's Local Install

    >> Or for just throbber functionallity
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...button&cat=all
    >> which is smaller in size and options for several url's.

    > Great find, but how do I get the throbber back in the GUI?

    Try putting this in your userChrome.css file in your user profile chrome
    folder.
    #navigator-throbber {
    list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/Throbber-small.png");
    }
    #navigator-throbber[busy="true"] {
    list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/throbber/Throbber-small.gif");
    }

  6. Re: Throbber

    Mon, 5 May 2008 01:45:25 -0400, /Roger Fink/:

    > I was using the customise toolbar operation to set up firefox when
    > apparently I must have removed the throbber by mistake. It's not in the
    > customize drag-to/from box so I'm wondering where it is and if I can get it
    > back?

    I get an "Activity Monitor" item in the Customize Toolbar dialog
    when I drag out the throbber from the tool/menu bar.

    --
    Stanimir

  7. Re: Throbber

    Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    > Mon, 5 May 2008 01:45:25 -0400, /Roger Fink/:
    >
    >> I was using the customise toolbar operation to set up firefox when
    >> apparently I must have removed the throbber by mistake. It's not in
    >> the customize drag-to/from box so I'm wondering where it is and if I
    >> can get it back?

    > I get an "Activity Monitor" item in the Customize Toolbar dialog
    > when I drag out the throbber from the tool/menu bar.

    I don't remember actually losing the throbber, and I never wanted to remove
    it. I just moved its location to the navigation toolbar from the drop down
    menu bar and put in a spacer or two and closed the extension. That worked
    out OK. I'm not sure what happened after that, only that I don't have one
    anymore.

  8. Re: Throbber

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >> Mon, 5 May 2008 01:45:25 -0400, /Roger Fink/:
    >>
    >>> I was using the customise toolbar operation to set up firefox when
    >>> apparently I must have removed the throbber by mistake. It's not in
    >>> the customize drag-to/from box so I'm wondering where it is and if I
    >>> can get it back?

    >> I get an "Activity Monitor" item in the Customize Toolbar dialog
    >> when I drag out the throbber from the tool/menu bar.

    > I don't remember actually losing the throbber, and I never wanted to
    > remove it. I just moved its location to the navigation toolbar from
    > the drop down menu bar and put in a spacer or two and closed the
    > extension. That worked out OK. I'm not sure what happened after that,
    > only that I don't have one anymore.

    "...and closed the extension...".
    My error - what I meant to say was "closed the customize toolbar operation."

  9. Re: Throbber

    On 5/5/2008 12:09, Roger Fink wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >>> Mon, 5 May 2008 01:45:25 -0400, /Roger Fink/:

    >>> I get an "Activity Monitor" item in the Customize Toolbar dialog
    >>> when I drag out the throbber from the tool/menu bar.

    >> I don't remember actually losing the throbber, and I never wanted to
    >> remove it. I just moved its location to the navigation toolbar from
    >> the drop down menu bar and put in a spacer or two and closed the
    >> extension. That worked out OK. I'm not sure what happened after that,
    >> only that I don't have one anymore.

    > "...and closed the extension...".
    > My error - what I meant to say was "closed the customize toolbar operation."

    Roger,
    I have no idea WHERE yours went........

    "....bar" cutomizations are stored in the:
    Active Profile "localstore.rdf" file.
    ********BACK UP YOUR LOCALSTORE.RDF" FILE *******
    with FF closed, open "localstore.rdf" in a good plain text editor.
    search for:
    "currentset=" (without quotes)
    You should find 3 entries..? one each under
    escription RDF:about="........................
    toolbar-menubar
    nav-bar
    PersonalToolbar

    In the:
    toolbar-menubar
    entry -
    ADD to the "currentset=" list
    "throbber-box" (without quotes) to the list (separated with coma)
    Open FF.
    Throbber should be back on the TOOLBAR-menu bar.

    HTH works

    regards:captjlddavis

  10. Re: Throbber

    In case you're not familiar with it, if you right click on the Navigation
    toolbar and select Customize you'll be presented with the set-up I'm talking
    about and my ramblings should become somewhat clearer. Before I go tweaking
    the files in a clean install, I'm going to just overinstall FF on itself and
    see if that fixes things. If I lose a few extension preferences, which I
    would think shouldn't happen, I'll just reestablish them. If all else fails
    then I'll start file editing.

    captjlddavis wrote:
    > On 5/5/2008 12:09, Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    >>> I don't remember actually losing the throbber, and I never wanted to
    >>> remove it. I just moved its location to the navigation toolbar from
    >>> the drop down menu bar and put in a spacer or two and closed the
    >>> extension. That worked out OK. I'm not sure what happened after
    >>> that,
    >>> only that I don't have one anymore.

    >> "...and closed the extension...".
    >> My error - what I meant to say was "closed the customize toolbar
    >> operation."
    >>

    > Roger,
    > I have no idea WHERE yours went........
    >
    > "....bar" cutomizations are stored in the:
    > Active Profile "localstore.rdf" file.
    > ********BACK UP YOUR LOCALSTORE.RDF" FILE *******
    > with FF closed, open "localstore.rdf" in a good plain text editor.
    > search for:
    > "currentset=" (without quotes)
    > You should find 3 entries..? one each under
    > escription RDF:about="........................
    > toolbar-menubar
    > nav-bar
    > PersonalToolbar
    >
    > In the:
    > toolbar-menubar
    > entry -
    > ADD to the "currentset=" list
    > "throbber-box" (without quotes) to the list (separated with coma)
    > Open FF.
    > Throbber should be back on the TOOLBAR-menu bar.
    >
    > HTH works
    >
    > regards:captjlddavis

  11. Re: Throbber

    On 5/5/2008 15:09, Roger Fink wrote:
    > In case you're not familiar with it, if you right click on the Navigation
    > toolbar and select Customize you'll be presented with the set-up I'm talking
    > about and my ramblings should become somewhat clearer. Before I go tweaking
    > the files in a clean install, I'm going to just overinstall FF on itself and
    > see if that fixes things. If I lose a few extension preferences, which I
    > would think shouldn't happen, I'll just reestablish them. If all else fails
    > then I'll start file editing.

    Roger,
    sounds good to me, please post back and let us know if that works ?

    regards:captjlddavis

  12. Re: Throbber

    captjlddavis wrote:
    > On 5/5/2008 15:09, Roger Fink wrote:
    >> In case you're not familiar with it, if you right click on the
    >> Navigation toolbar and select Customize you'll be presented with the
    >> set-up I'm talking about and my ramblings should become somewhat
    >> clearer. Before I go tweaking the files in a clean install, I'm
    >> going to just overinstall FF on itself and see if that fixes things.
    >> If I lose a few extension preferences, which I would think shouldn't
    >> happen, I'll just reestablish them. If all else fails then I'll
    >> start file editing.

    > Roger,
    > sounds good to me, please post back and let us know if that works ?
    >
    > regards:captjlddavis

    Not fixed, but overall interesting enough to report back.

    1. FF overinstall - no effect.
    2. Added throbber-box exactly where you said to (I've been moving the
    (extension) home button next to this thing in Mozilla for years - very
    familiar with it). No effect.
    3. Did a search in localstor.rdf for throbber-box to see where Firefox
    thinks it is. It thinks it's exactly where I put it!! (and where it
    displayed nicely for awhile) - On the navigation toolbar between the Home
    and the Toggle-Sidebar buttons. (Note: bookmarks sidebar has been
    user-chromed to the right-hand side.) FF just couldn't figure out a way to
    display the throbber once I closed down and reopened.
    4. OK, this town isn't big enough for two throbbers, so I deleted my
    relocated throbber-box, and left the original one in it's original location.
    Surely a good move on paper, but still no throbber.

    With the base install and all my extensions and themes downloaded and
    accessible, a clean reinstall is really not a very big deal. But I would be
    curious to know whether, because the throbber can be moved, Firefox is
    supposed to be able to deal with it.

  13. Re: Throbber

    On 5/5/2008 18:36, Roger Fink wrote:
    > captjlddavis wrote:
    >> On 5/5/2008 15:09, Roger Fink wrote:
    >>> In case you're not familiar with it, if you right click on the
    >>> Navigation toolbar and select Customize you'll be presented with the
    >>> set-up I'm talking about and my ramblings should become somewhat
    >>> clearer. Before I go tweaking the files in a clean install, I'm
    >>> going to just overinstall FF on itself and see if that fixes things.
    >>> If I lose a few extension preferences, which I would think shouldn't
    >>> happen, I'll just reestablish them. If all else fails then I'll
    >>> start file editing.

    >> Roger,
    >> sounds good to me, please post back and let us know if that works ?
    >>
    >> regards:captjlddavis

    > Not fixed, but overall interesting enough to report back.
    >
    > 1. FF overinstall - no effect.
    > 2. Added throbber-box exactly where you said to (I've been moving the
    > (extension) home button next to this thing in Mozilla for years - very
    > familiar with it). No effect.
    > 3. Did a search in localstor.rdf for throbber-box to see where Firefox
    > thinks it is. It thinks it's exactly where I put it!! (and where it
    > displayed nicely for awhile) - On the navigation toolbar between the Home
    > and the Toggle-Sidebar buttons. (Note: bookmarks sidebar has been
    > user-chromed to the right-hand side.) FF just couldn't figure out a way to
    > display the throbber once I closed down and reopened.
    > 4. OK, this town isn't big enough for two throbbers, so I deleted my
    > relocated throbber-box, and left the original one in it's original location.
    > Surely a good move on paper, but still no throbber.
    >
    > With the base install and all my extensions and themes downloaded and
    > accessible, a clean reinstall is really not a very big deal. But I would be
    > curious to know whether, because the throbber can be moved, Firefox is
    > supposed to be able to deal with it.

    Last idea......

    Close FF - delete localstore.rdf

    Open firefox and start customizing from scratch

    regards:captjlddavis

  14. Re: Throbber

    captjlddavis wrote:
    > On 5/5/2008 18:36, Roger Fink wrote:
    >> captjlddavis wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Roger,
    >>> sounds good to me, please post back and let us know if that works ?
    >>>
    >>> regards:captjlddavis

    >> Not fixed, but overall interesting enough to report back.
    >>
    >> 1. FF overinstall - no effect.
    >> 2. Added throbber-box exactly where you said to (I've been moving the
    >> (extension) home button next to this thing in Mozilla for years -
    >> very familiar with it). No effect.
    >> 3. Did a search in localstor.rdf for throbber-box to see where
    >> Firefox thinks it is. It thinks it's exactly where I put it!! (and
    >> where it displayed nicely for awhile) - On the navigation toolbar
    >> between the Home and the Toggle-Sidebar buttons. (Note: bookmarks
    >> sidebar has been user-chromed to the right-hand side.) FF just
    >> couldn't figure out a way to display the throbber once I closed down
    >> and reopened.
    >> 4. OK, this town isn't big enough for two throbbers, so I deleted my
    >> relocated throbber-box, and left the original one in it's original
    >> location. Surely a good move on paper, but still no throbber.
    >>
    >> With the base install and all my extensions and themes downloaded and
    >> accessible, a clean reinstall is really not a very big deal. But I
    >> would be curious to know whether, because the throbber can be moved,
    >> Firefox is supposed to be able to deal with it.
    >>

    > Last idea......
    >
    > Close FF - delete localstore.rdf
    >
    > Open firefox and start customizing from scratch
    >
    > regards:captjlddavis

    Way to go captain.
    That was too easy.

    The culprit was a holdover entry in my userchrome.css:
    /* Remove icons from buttons. */

    button > .button-box > .button-icon {

    display: none !important;

    }

    I think the purpose of it was to override some theme writers' insistence on
    text under their navigation toolbar icons.

+ Reply to Thread