Does Firefox have a timer? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Does Firefox have a timer? - Mozilla ; I am being plagued with some sort of timer on Firefox. I leave my computers on 24/7 and usually have a Firefox page displayed for the forum I monitor. Lately, I turn around to the computer and Firefox has closed. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Does Firefox have a timer?

    I am being plagued with some sort of timer on Firefox. I leave my
    computers on 24/7 and usually have a Firefox page displayed for the
    forum I monitor. Lately, I turn around to the computer and Firefox has
    closed. I thought at first that perhaps I had done it myself, but no,
    it is closing by itself. It is not the web site because this happens no
    matter what site I happen to leave the browser on.

    Windows XP Pro (SP2), Firefox version 2.0.0.14

    Billll

  2. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    --->
    > I am being plagued with some sort of timer on Firefox. I leave my
    > computers on 24/7 and usually have a Firefox page displayed for the
    > forum I monitor. Lately, I turn around to the computer and Firefox has
    > closed. I thought at first that perhaps I had done it myself, but no,
    > it is closing by itself. It is not the web site because this happens no
    > matter what site I happen to leave the browser on.
    >
    > Windows XP Pro (SP2), Firefox version 2.0.0.14
    >
    > Billll

    This is interesting. FF just did it again, but this time I checked the
    Program Manager. FF is still running but I can't get to it because the
    taskbar entry is gone. The only way I can get it back is to kill FF and
    restart it.

    But, it gets stranger now. If I don't kill it, but simply start up
    another FF window, BOTH of them now appear on the taskbar. You gotta
    admit that this a very weird.

    Billll

  3. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Billll wrote:
    > I am being plagued with some sort of timer on Firefox. I leave my
    > computers on 24/7 and usually have a Firefox page displayed for the
    > forum I monitor. Lately, I turn around to the computer and Firefox has
    > closed. I thought at first that perhaps I had done it myself, but no,
    > it is closing by itself. It is not the web site because this happens no
    > matter what site I happen to leave the browser on.
    >
    > Windows XP Pro (SP2), Firefox version 2.0.0.14

    Step 1: disable all add-ons, and see if this makes a difference.

  4. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    --->
    > Billll wrote:
    >> I am being plagued with some sort of timer on Firefox. I leave my
    >> computers on 24/7 and usually have a Firefox page displayed for the
    >> forum I monitor. Lately, I turn around to the computer and Firefox
    >> has closed. I thought at first that perhaps I had done it myself, but
    >> no, it is closing by itself. It is not the web site because this
    >> happens no matter what site I happen to leave the browser on.
    >>
    >> Windows XP Pro (SP2), Firefox version 2.0.0.14

    > Step 1: disable all add-ons, and see if this makes a difference.

    Done. No change. When I got one of those "Firefox will upgrade your
    version either NOW or LATER" notices, I was told that all my add-ons
    were incompatible with the latest update. You never get a chance to say
    NO to the upgrade. Either you do it then, or it will get done the next
    time you start it.

    Billll

  5. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Billll wrote:
    > --->
    >> Billll wrote:
    >>> I am being plagued with some sort of timer on Firefox. I leave my
    >>> computers on 24/7 and usually have a Firefox page displayed for the
    >>> forum I monitor. Lately, I turn around to the computer and Firefox
    >>> has closed. I thought at first that perhaps I had done it myself,
    >>> but no, it is closing by itself. It is not the web site because this
    >>> happens no matter what site I happen to leave the browser on.
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Pro (SP2), Firefox version 2.0.0.14

    >> Step 1: disable all add-ons, and see if this makes a difference.
    >>

    > Done. No change. When I got one of those "Firefox will upgrade your
    > version either NOW or LATER" notices, I was told that all my add-ons
    > were incompatible with the latest update. You never get a chance to say
    > NO to the upgrade. Either you do it then, or it will get done the next
    > time you start it.
    >
    > Billll

    I have 2.0.0.12 here, not 2.0.0.14, but if you were told that add-ons
    were incompatible, I'd say your options must be set like this:

    When updates to Firefox are found
    ( )Ask me what I want to do
    (*)Automatically download and install the update
    [X] Warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons

    The "Warn me" option is greyed out when "Ask me" is chosen instead of
    "Automatically download", so if you're willing to forgo the add-ons
    warning, choose "Ask me" and you can say NO.

  6. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Beryl escribió:
    > Billll wrote:
    >> --->

    >>> Step 1: disable all add-ons, and see if this makes a difference.
    >>>

    >> Done. No change. When I got one of those "Firefox will upgrade your
    >> version either NOW or LATER" notices, I was told that all my add-ons
    >> were incompatible with the latest update. You never get a chance to
    >> say NO to the upgrade. Either you do it then, or it will get done the
    >> next time you start it.
    >>
    >> Billll

    > I have 2.0.0.12 here, not 2.0.0.14, but if you were told that add-ons
    > were incompatible, I'd say your options must be set like this:
    >
    > When updates to Firefox are found
    > ( )Ask me what I want to do
    > (*)Automatically download and install the update
    > [X] Warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons
    >
    > The "Warn me" option is greyed out when "Ask me" is chosen instead of
    > "Automatically download", so if you're willing to forgo the add-ons
    > warning, choose "Ask me" and you can say NO.

    First test if you have access to write to the profile directory and the
    Fx install folder.
    Try:
    Copy the entire plugins folder of the installation of firefox
    Download the latest firefox and install it.
    Restore the plugins directory to the firefox folder.

    Start firefox with the -p switch and see if exist more than default
    profile, the profile selected is the profile by default.

  7. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Wait a minute!! Wait a minute!! You say the "computer" also "has closed"? What do you mean by the "computer closing"? I can see maybe the Firefox shutting down, but how is that effecting the whole computer? Is the computer "OFF", screensaver, hibernate, standby or sleep mode? Please provide further details. It may have less to do with Firefox and more to do with your Windows XP power/screensaver settings. Is this a laptop (my guess) or a desktop PC?
    Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf

    No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.

    Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf

    >>> I am being plagued with some sort of timer on Firefox. I leave my
    >>> computers on 24/7 and usually have a Firefox page displayed for the
    >>> forum I monitor. Lately, I turn around to the computer and Firefox
    >>> has closed. I thought at first that perhaps I had done it myself,
    >>> but no, it is closing by itself. It is not the web site because this
    >>> happens no matter what site I happen to leave the browser on.
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Pro (SP2), Firefox version 2.0.0.14

    >> Step 1: disable all add-ons, and see if this makes a difference.
    >>

    > Done. No change. When I got one of those "Firefox will upgrade your
    > version either NOW or LATER" notices, I was told that all my add-ons
    > were incompatible with the latest update. You never get a chance to say
    > NO to the upgrade. Either you do it then, or it will get done the next
    > time you start it.
    >
    > Billll

    I have 2.0.0.12 here, not 2.0.0.14, but if you were told that add-ons
    were incompatible, I'd say your options must be set like this:

    When updates to Firefox are found
    ( )Ask me what I want to do
    (*)Automatically download and install the update
    [X] Warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons

    The "Warn me" option is greyed out when "Ask me" is chosen instead of
    "Automatically download", so if you're willing to forgo the add-ons
    warning, choose "Ask me" and you can say NO.

  8. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Wait a minute!! Wait a minute!! You say the "computer" also "has closed"? What do you mean by the "computer closing"? I can see maybe the Firefox shutting down, but how is that effecting the whole computer? Is the computer "OFF", screensaver, hibernate, standby or sleep mode? Please provide further details. It may have less to do with Firefox and more to do with your Windows XP power/screensaver settings. Is this a laptop (my guess) or a desktop PC?
    Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf

    No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.

    Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf

    > I am being plagued with some sort of timer on Firefox. I leave my
    > computers on 24/7 and usually have a Firefox page displayed for the
    > forum I monitor. Lately, I turn around to the computer and Firefox has
    > closed. I thought at first that perhaps I had done it myself, but no,
    > it is closing by itself. It is not the web site because this happens no
    > matter what site I happen to leave the browser on.
    >
    > Windows XP Pro (SP2), Firefox version 2.0.0.14

    Step 1: disable all add-ons, and see if this makes a difference.

  9. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    "Billll" wrote in message news:xdWdnYpD0cqgoIPVnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    I am being plagued with some sort of timer on Firefox. I leave my
    computers on 24/7 and usually have a Firefox page displayed for the
    forum I monitor. Lately, I turn around to the computer and Firefox has
    closed. I thought at first that perhaps I had done it myself, but no,
    it is closing by itself. It is not the web site because this happens no
    matter what site I happen to leave the browser on.

    Windows XP Pro (SP2), Firefox version 2.0.0.14

    Billll

  10. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Bob wrote:

    > No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
    > number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
    > inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being
    > really cool about it.

    The electrons like it, Bob. They're free electrons, that's what they do.

  11. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Beryl wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >>
    >> No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
    >> number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
    >> inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being
    >> really cool about it.

    > The electrons like it, Bob. They're free electrons, that's what they do.

    They were only free following emancipation; they have long memories.

  12. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Tarkus skrev:
    > Beryl wrote:
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>>
    >>> No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
    >>> number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
    >>> inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being
    >>> really cool about it.

    >> The electrons like it, Bob. They're free electrons, that's what they do.

    > They were only free following emancipation; they have long memories.

    They? Is there more than one?

    BR,
    Gudmund

  13. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Tarkus wrote:
    > Beryl wrote:
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>>
    >>> No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
    >>> number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
    >>> inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being
    >>> really cool about it.

    >> The electrons like it, Bob. They're free electrons, that's what they do.

    > They were only free following emancipation; they have long memories.

    I gotta pay $45 now for the ones I freed last month. Hope they'll
    remember me.

  14. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    It's a party! Has to be more than one!!

    Can we get back to the timer thing please?

    "Gudmund Areskoug" <"gudmundpublic at gmail dot com"> wrote in message news:y46dneLQV5FmXYPVnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    Tarkus skrev:
    > Beryl wrote:
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>>
    >>> No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
    >>> number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
    >>> inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being
    >>> really cool about it.

    >> The electrons like it, Bob. They're free electrons, that's what they do.

    > They were only free following emancipation; they have long memories.

    They? Is there more than one?

    BR,
    Gudmund

  15. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Hmmm? Solar? Wind?

    Besides you didn't free them. You put them to work! Slave driver!!

    "Beryl" wrote in message news:4s2dnRVD7PW_XoPVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    Tarkus wrote:
    > Beryl wrote:
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>>
    >>> No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
    >>> number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
    >>> inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being
    >>> really cool about it.

    >> The electrons like it, Bob. They're free electrons, that's what they do.

    > They were only free following emancipation; they have long memories.

    I gotta pay $45 now for the ones I freed last month. Hope they'll
    remember me.

  16. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Beryl wrote:
    > Tarkus wrote:
    >> Beryl wrote:
    >>> The electrons like it, Bob. They're free electrons, that's what they do.

    >> They were only free following emancipation; they have long memories.

    > I gotta pay $45 now for the ones I freed last month. Hope they'll
    > remember me.

    You tirned those sweet little electrons into crispy critters??? Well, I never.... and probably never will.

  17. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Tarkus skrev:
    >> Beryl wrote:
    >>> The electrons like it, Bob. They're free electrons, that's what they do.

    >> They were only free following emancipation; they have long memories.

    > They? Is there more than one?

    The "s" on the end implies plural, no?

  18. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    --->
    > Wait a minute!! Wait a minute!! You say the "computer" also "has closed"? What do you mean by the "computer closing"? I can see maybe the Firefox shutting down, but how is that effecting the whole computer? Is the computer "OFF", screensaver, hibernate, standby or sleep mode? Please provide further details. It may have less to do with Firefox and more to do with your Windows XP power/screensaver settings. Is this a laptop (my guess) or a desktop PC?
    > Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf
    >

    > No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.
    >
    > Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf

    Bob:

    You didn't read my post correctly. I said "I turn around to the omputer
    and Firefox has closed". This means that the computer was still running
    merrily along, but Firefox had closed itself.

    Read my second post though as it explains that Firefox hadn't really
    exited, but just removed it's taskbar entry. It is still running, but I
    have no way to access it because even the Alt-Tab method won't switch to
    it. I have to kill it in Program Manager and restart from scratch.

    Billll

  19. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Billll wrote:
    > You didn't read my post correctly. I said "I turn around to the omputer
    > and Firefox has closed". This means that the computer was still running
    > merrily along, but Firefox had closed itself.
    >
    > Read my second post though as it explains that Firefox hadn't really
    > exited, but just removed it's taskbar entry. It is still running, but I
    > have no way to access it because even the Alt-Tab method won't switch to
    > it. I have to kill it in Program Manager and restart from scratch.

    Have you tried simply clicking on the shortcut again (assuming you have
    it configured to run as one instance)? I don't recall having your
    problem with Firefox, but that's worked for me with other programs that
    kind of disappeared, but not really.

  20. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    --->
    > Billll wrote:
    >> You didn't read my post correctly. I said "I turn around to the
    >> omputer and Firefox has closed". This means that the computer was
    >> still running merrily along, but Firefox had closed itself.
    >>
    >> Read my second post though as it explains that Firefox hadn't really
    >> exited, but just removed it's taskbar entry. It is still running, but
    >> I have no way to access it because even the Alt-Tab method won't
    >> switch to it. I have to kill it in Program Manager and restart from
    >> scratch.

    > Have you tried simply clicking on the shortcut again (assuming you have
    > it configured to run as one instance)? I don't recall having your
    > problem with Firefox, but that's worked for me with other programs that
    > kind of disappeared, but not really.

    Well, I don't actually have Firefox as a desktop shortcut. It is on the
    quick launch bar and clicking that icon will initiate a new FF window
    which, I've found out, will also bring up the hidden window again. I
    can then close the second instance of FF and the first taskbar icon is
    again available. Sometimes I can get it back by "refreshing" the
    desktop too. Very strange. I am certain it is NOT a Firefox problem
    now but one of the Operating System. This is my only XP Home computer,
    the rest are XP Pro or Linux.

    Billll

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast