Does Firefox have a timer? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Does Firefox have a timer? - Mozilla ; Billll wrote: > ---> >> Billll wrote: >>> You didn't read my post correctly. I said "I turn around to the >>> omputer and Firefox has closed". This means that the computer was >>> still running merrily along, but Firefox ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Billll wrote:
    > --->
    >> Billll wrote:
    >>> You didn't read my post correctly. I said "I turn around to the
    >>> omputer and Firefox has closed". This means that the computer was
    >>> still running merrily along, but Firefox had closed itself.
    >>>
    >>> Read my second post though as it explains that Firefox hadn't really
    >>> exited, but just removed it's taskbar entry. It is still running,
    >>> but I have no way to access it because even the Alt-Tab method won't
    >>> switch to it. I have to kill it in Program Manager and restart from
    >>> scratch.

    >> Have you tried simply clicking on the shortcut again (assuming you
    >> have it configured to run as one instance)? I don't recall having
    >> your problem with Firefox, but that's worked for me with other
    >> programs that kind of disappeared, but not really.

    > Well, I don't actually have Firefox as a desktop shortcut. It is on the
    > quick launch bar and clicking that icon will initiate a new FF window
    > which, I've found out, will also bring up the hidden window again. I

    I never said anything about a desktop shortcut. And in fact, there is
    no difference between a desktop shortcut, a quick launch bar shortcut,
    or even a Start menu shortcut, other than where they are stored. They
    are all simply a link to your executable.

    > can then close the second instance of FF and the first taskbar icon is
    > again available. Sometimes I can get it back by "refreshing" the
    > desktop too. Very strange. I am certain it is NOT a Firefox problem
    > now but one of the Operating System. This is my only XP Home computer,
    > the rest are XP Pro or Linux.

    I used XP Home for awhile and never had that problem, nor have I heard
    others having the problem, so I really doubt if it's an XP Home problem.
    More likely, something got hosed on that particular installation.

    I would be curious to know what would happen if you had FF configured to
    run in only one instance, and you again clicked your shortcut (quick
    launch bar, or wherever you have it).

  2. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    --->
    > Billll wrote:
    >> --->

    >>> Have you tried simply clicking on the shortcut again (assuming you
    >>> have it configured to run as one instance)? I don't recall having
    >>> your problem with Firefox, but that's worked for me with other
    >>> programs that kind of disappeared, but not really.

    >> Well, I don't actually have Firefox as a desktop shortcut. It is on
    >> the quick launch bar and clicking that icon will initiate a new FF
    >> window which, I've found out, will also bring up the hidden window
    >> again. I

    > I never said anything about a desktop shortcut. And in fact, there is
    > no difference between a desktop shortcut, a quick launch bar shortcut,
    > or even a Start menu shortcut, other than where they are stored. They
    > are all simply a link to your executable.
    >
    >> can then close the second instance of FF and the first taskbar icon is
    >> again available. Sometimes I can get it back by "refreshing" the
    >> desktop too. Very strange. I am certain it is NOT a Firefox problem
    >> now but one of the Operating System. This is my only XP Home
    >> computer, the rest are XP Pro or Linux.

    > I used XP Home for awhile and never had that problem, nor have I heard
    > others having the problem, so I really doubt if it's an XP Home problem.
    > More likely, something got hosed on that particular installation.
    >
    > I would be curious to know what would happen if you had FF configured to
    > run in only one instance, and you again clicked your shortcut (quick
    > launch bar, or wherever you have it).

    Ah, but there is a difference: The desktop icon requires a double-click
    to activate, while the quick launch requires only one. But, no matter.
    I'll get it figured out.

    Billll

  3. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Billll wrote:
    > Ah, but there is a difference: The desktop icon requires a double-click
    > to activate, while the quick launch requires only one.

    That has nothing to do with the shortcut. You know, you can copy a
    shortcut from your desktop to the quick launch bar, don't you? You can
    also set up Windows Explorer to respond to single- or double-clicks, but
    that has zero to do with how the program responds once it loads.

  4. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    --->
    > Billll wrote:
    >> Ah, but there is a difference: The desktop icon requires a
    >> double-click to activate, while the quick launch requires only one.

    > That has nothing to do with the shortcut. You know, you can copy a
    > shortcut from your desktop to the quick launch bar, don't you? You can
    > also set up Windows Explorer to respond to single- or double-clicks, but
    > that has zero to do with how the program responds once it loads.

    I agree completely. I was just pointing out that there WAS a
    difference. But all this is OT anyway.

  5. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Billll wrote:

    > You didn't read my post correctly. I said "I turn around to the omputer
    > and Firefox has closed". This means that the computer was still running
    > merrily along, but Firefox had closed itself.
    >
    > Read my second post though as it explains that Firefox hadn't really
    > exited, but just removed it's taskbar entry. It is still running, but I
    > have no way to access it because even the Alt-Tab method won't switch to
    > it. I have to kill it in Program Manager and restart from scratch.

    If it's any comfort, that happens every once in a while in the linux
    version. Fortunately nothing is ever harmed by these shutdowns and I
    just restart it and restore the session. What DOES cause problems is
    using azureus to download 8 files and then trying to use firefox to run
    google maps. That causes a world of hurt.

    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  6. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    On 05/05/08 01:12, Billll wrote:
    > --->
    >> I am being plagued with some sort of timer on Firefox. I leave my
    >> computers on 24/7 and usually have a Firefox page displayed for the
    >> forum I monitor. Lately, I turn around to the computer and Firefox has
    >> closed. I thought at first that perhaps I had done it myself, but no,
    >> it is closing by itself. It is not the web site because this happens
    >> no matter what site I happen to leave the browser on.
    >>
    >> Windows XP Pro (SP2), Firefox version 2.0.0.14
    >>
    >> Billll

    > This is interesting. FF just did it again, but this time I checked the
    > Program Manager. FF is still running but I can't get to it because the
    > taskbar entry is gone. The only way I can get it back is to kill FF and
    > restart it.
    >
    > But, it gets stranger now. If I don't kill it, but simply start up
    > another FF window, BOTH of them now appear on the taskbar. You gotta
    > admit that this a very weird.
    >
    > Billll

    When the system is rather busy, some applications don't show on the
    Windows taskbar even though they are still running correctly. Can you
    get at it with Alt-Tab? -- No, I found your other post. If it isn't
    minimized, you ought to be able to get at it by moving, resizing or even
    minimizing other apps (but careful with that latter, it might make
    _those_ apps difficult to access). Or sometimes it might reappear on the
    taskbar by just waiting, or by using "Group by application" (or
    something like that, "Group similar windows" maybe, it's been some time
    since I scrapped Windows).

    Starting another Fx window passes the URL to the already running
    instance and apparently activates it somehow. You might pass it some
    local URL to reduce network overhead; and if you set Firefox to open
    links from other apps in a new tab rather than a new window, it might
    "wake up" your existing window instead. You might want to try "firefox
    about: " or "firefox about:blank" from the cmd.exe prompt. If it doesn't
    work, find an HTML file on your own HD (let's say C:\foobar.htm for the
    sake of argument) and invoke "firefox file:///C:/foobar.htm" without the
    quotes and with forward slashes. If you don't even have an HTML file on
    your HD, here's a "dummy" one which should give you a blank page:

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Pecor's Health-Food Principle:
    Never eat rutabaga on any day of the week that has a "y" in

  7. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    On 05/05/08 21:01, Tarkus wrote:
    > Billll wrote:

    [...]
    > I never said anything about a desktop shortcut. And in fact, there is no
    > difference between a desktop shortcut, a quick launch bar shortcut, or
    > even a Start menu shortcut, other than where they are stored. They are
    > all simply a link to your executable.
    >
    >> can then close the second instance of FF and the first taskbar icon is
    >> again available. Sometimes I can get it back by "refreshing" the
    >> desktop too. Very strange. I am certain it is NOT a Firefox problem
    >> now but one of the Operating System. This is my only XP Home computer,
    >> the rest are XP Pro or Linux.

    > I used XP Home for awhile and never had that problem, nor have I heard
    > others having the problem, so I really doubt if it's an XP Home problem.
    > More likely, something got hosed on that particular installation.
    >
    > I would be curious to know what would happen if you had FF configured to
    > run in only one instance, and you again clicked your shortcut (quick
    > launch bar, or wherever you have it).

    I used to experience that problem regularly when I was on XP Home, but
    only at times of high system load.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Spend extra time on hobby. Get plenty of rolling papers.

  8. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    Tarkus skrev:
    > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >> Tarkus skrev:
    >>> They were only free following emancipation; they have long
    >>> memories.

    >> They? Is there more than one?

    > The "s" on the end implies plural, no?

    There's a theory in physics by which e. g. what we perceive as many
    electrons is actually just one electron, *the* electron.

    Returning to the issue:

    Billll wrote:
    > You didn't read my post correctly. I said "I turn around to the
    > computer and Firefox has closed". This means that the computer was
    > still running merrily along, but Firefox had closed itself.
    >
    > Read my second post though as it explains that Firefox hadn't really
    > exited, but just removed it's taskbar entry. It is still running,
    > but I have no way to access it because even the Alt-Tab method won't
    > switch to it. I have to kill it in Program Manager and restart from
    > scratch.

    I've observed similar behaviour in some other apps at times. In one
    instance, having a pop-up dialogue of the system message kind ("Found X
    instances", "Couldn't complete operation" etc.) made/make the apps
    "disappear", either just from alt-tab (e. g. recent versions of an app I
    use) or from alt-tab and toolbar.

    When restarting the app thinking it had crashed showed an instance was
    already/still running, I used Windows Task Manager for switching to it,
    and got to see the dialogue awaiting my mouseclick.

    You might try getting back to the app by minimizing all other apps, or
    try going via Task Manager.

    Does this work?

    Either way, it sounds like a bug.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  9. Re: Does Firefox have a timer?

    --->
    > On 05/05/08 01:12, Billll wrote:
    >> --->
    >>> I am being plagued with some sort of timer on Firefox. I leave my
    >>> computers on 24/7 and usually have a Firefox page displayed for the
    >>> forum I monitor. Lately, I turn around to the computer and Firefox has
    >>> closed. I thought at first that perhaps I had done it myself, but no,
    >>> it is closing by itself. It is not the web site because this happens
    >>> no matter what site I happen to leave the browser on.
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Pro (SP2), Firefox version 2.0.0.14
    >>>
    >>> Billll

    >> This is interesting. FF just did it again, but this time I checked the
    >> Program Manager. FF is still running but I can't get to it because the
    >> taskbar entry is gone. The only way I can get it back is to kill FF and
    >> restart it.
    >>
    >> But, it gets stranger now. If I don't kill it, but simply start up
    >> another FF window, BOTH of them now appear on the taskbar. You gotta
    >> admit that this a very weird.
    >>
    >> Billll

    > When the system is rather busy, some applications don't show on the
    > Windows taskbar even though they are still running correctly. Can you
    > get at it with Alt-Tab? -- No, I found your other post. If it isn't
    > minimized, you ought to be able to get at it by moving, resizing or even
    > minimizing other apps (but careful with that latter, it might make
    > _those_ apps difficult to access). Or sometimes it might reappear on the
    > taskbar by just waiting, or by using "Group by application" (or
    > something like that, "Group similar windows" maybe, it's been some time
    > since I scrapped Windows).
    >
    > Starting another Fx window passes the URL to the already running
    > instance and apparently activates it somehow. You might pass it some
    > local URL to reduce network overhead; and if you set Firefox to open
    > links from other apps in a new tab rather than a new window, it might
    > "wake up" your existing window instead. You might want to try "firefox
    > about: " or "firefox about:blank" from the cmd.exe prompt. If it doesn't
    > work, find an HTML file on your own HD (let's say C:\foobar.htm for the
    > sake of argument) and invoke "firefox file:///C:/foobar.htm" without the
    > quotes and with forward slashes. If you don't even have an HTML file on
    > your HD, here's a "dummy" one which should give you a blank page:
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Tony:

    I think you hit the solution. My laptop is shy on RAM and when things
    get busy I have now noticed that other programs will exhibit this
    disappearing act. I suspect that when the OS swaps the task to disk (or
    VM), it also removes the icon. Since my home page for Fx is on my HD as
    a web page in My Documents, I just double-click it and Fx pops back to
    the forefront. This action doesn't always bring back the taskbar icon,
    but most of the time it does.

    The option is "Group similar taskbar options", which I have never
    checked, but after I did, Fx's taskbar icon hasn't gone away once. So,
    it appears it was definitely the OS that was doing it.

    Thanks,

    Billll

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2