window that is opened is truncated - Mozilla

This is a discussion on window that is opened is truncated - Mozilla ; I hope this is the right place for this. If not, will some one please redirect me. I have a BUG. I am using the latest Firefox 2.0.0.14. It just updated recently. Running on a HP DV9500 CTO laptop under ...

  1. window that is opened is truncated

    I hope this is the right place for this. If not, will some one please redirect me.

    I have a BUG. I am using the latest Firefox 2.0.0.14. It just updated recently. Running on a HP DV9500 CTO laptop under Vista HP SP1. I have noted since the update that on those pages where you click on a feature that opens a smaller sub-window (the sort of inset type that you can't resize and has no toolbar, etc.), the window that is opened is truncated - i.e., cut in half vertically - I only get the left-hand side half of the window content. No horizontal scroll, no way to view or access that right-hand half. I first noticed this on Amazon when I tried to use the Contact Us feature of their Customer Support and clicked on the Call Me option. The little window (what is the correct term for it?) that opens for you to put in your phone number was only half there. Had to go back to IE7 (UGH!!!) to get the whole thing and use it. Yes, the bug is Firefox specific.

    To see another example of this, go to the Canon product site, select two or three printers to look at and click COMPARE. What I see is only half a window and only the left half of the page of entries. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=116

    Anyone else having this issue? Is there a fix? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf

    No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.

    Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf

  2. Re: window that is opened is truncated

    On Thu, 1 May 2008 22:30:10 -0400, Bob Woolf wrote:

    > I have a BUG. I am using the latest Firefox 2.0.0.14. It just
    > updated recently. Running on a HP DV9500 CTO laptop under Vista HP
    > SP1. I have noted since the update that on those pages where you
    > click on a feature that opens a smaller sub-window (the sort of
    > inset type that you can't resize and has no toolbar, etc.), the
    > window that is opened is truncated - i.e., cut in half vertically -
    > I only get the left-hand side half of the window content. No
    > horizontal scroll, no way to view or access that right-hand half.
    > I first noticed this on Amazon when I tried to use the Contact Us
    > feature of their Customer Support and clicked on the Call Me
    > option. The little window (what is the correct term for it?) that
    > opens for you to put in your phone number was only half there. Had
    > to go back to IE7 (UGH!!!) to get the whole thing and use it. Yes,
    > the bug is Firefox specific.
    >
    > To see another example of this, go to the Canon product site,
    > select two or three printers to look at and click COMPARE. What I
    > see is only half a window and only the left half of the page of
    > entries. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=116
    >
    > Anyone else having this issue?

    No, not in a new profile , or my
    usual profile of Firefox 2.0.0.14
    with Flash 9.0.124.0, Flashblock 1.5.6a, No Squint 1.0.1, and other
    extensions and plugins on Vista 64-bit. The popup window can be
    resized, say, by dragging the bottom right corner but didn't need to,
    and the content of the popup is Flash.

    Try the site(s) using Firefox Safe Mode, by going to "Start > All
    Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)" then click
    "Continue in Safe Mode". This will (temporarily) disable extensions
    and themes, see .

    Are you using a Fx theme, the display's native resolution, a large
    DPI?

    Also see what version of Flash you're using in "Control Panel >
    Programs > Programs and Features", or type aboutlugins into the
    Location bar and press Enter, and can see the version and test here:

    Flash Uninstaller:

    Flash Downloads:

    --
    Rom

  3. Re: window that is opened is truncated

    Rom,

    OK, Here's what I found. In safe mode the bug is gone. The subwindow opens normally and all is OK. Going back to normal mode, the bug is still there. The subwindow first starts to open briefly and then as content fills in, it snaps to the half sized version with the right hand side chopped off. I have Flash Player Plug-in 9.0.124.0 and Shockwave 11. I have uninstalled the Flash Player, and reinstalled it. The bug is still there.

    I don't know about the theme. I am using the Firefox just as it came "out of the box" so to speak. I think it's the "default" theme. I have a bunch of add-ons. I removed some but that did not fix it. The ones I have left are: 1-click Weather, Adblock Plus, AI Roboform, FireFTP*, GMailSpace*, Google Settings*, Google Toolbar for FF, McAfee Site Advisor, RealPlayer D&R, and Stumble Upon. The ones with the "*" are new and the others have been there for some time from before the bug showed up. Screen DPI is 1440 x 900 on my HP DV9500.

    What do I check next? Appreciate your help!

    "Rom" <-@-.invalid> wrote in message news:hzbevz6nh3e$.op84gbxxo2mo$.dlg@40tude.net...
    On Thu, 1 May 2008 22:30:10 -0400, Bob Woolf wrote:

    > I have a BUG. I am using the latest Firefox 2.0.0.14. It just
    > updated recently. Running on a HP DV9500 CTO laptop under Vista HP
    > SP1. I have noted since the update that on those pages where you
    > click on a feature that opens a smaller sub-window (the sort of
    > inset type that you can't resize and has no toolbar, etc.), the
    > window that is opened is truncated - i.e., cut in half vertically -
    > I only get the left-hand side half of the window content. No
    > horizontal scroll, no way to view or access that right-hand half.
    > I first noticed this on Amazon when I tried to use the Contact Us
    > feature of their Customer Support and clicked on the Call Me
    > option. The little window (what is the correct term for it?) that
    > opens for you to put in your phone number was only half there. Had
    > to go back to IE7 (UGH!!!) to get the whole thing and use it. Yes,
    > the bug is Firefox specific.
    >
    > To see another example of this, go to the Canon product site,
    > select two or three printers to look at and click COMPARE. What I
    > see is only half a window and only the left half of the page of
    > entries. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=116
    >
    > Anyone else having this issue?

    No, not in a new profile , or my
    usual profile of Firefox 2.0.0.14
    with Flash 9.0.124.0, Flashblock 1.5.6a, No Squint 1.0.1, and other
    extensions and plugins on Vista 64-bit. The popup window can be
    resized, say, by dragging the bottom right corner but didn't need to,
    and the content of the popup is Flash.

    Try the site(s) using Firefox Safe Mode, by going to "Start > All
    Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)" then click
    "Continue in Safe Mode". This will (temporarily) disable extensions
    and themes, see .

    Are you using a Fx theme, the display's native resolution, a large
    DPI?

    Also see what version of Flash you're using in "Control Panel >
    Programs > Programs and Features", or type aboutlugins into the
    Location bar and press Enter, and can see the version and test here:

    Flash Uninstaller:

    Flash Downloads:

    --
    Rom

  4. Re: window that is opened is truncated

    Rom,

    I went back again and uninstalled some more seldom used add-ons. I removed the 1-click Weather & FireFTP and I picked a new them from the list (Cool Blue). The bug is now GONE!!! It's fixed. So I guess the problem was either in the default theme setting or one of those two add-ons. Thanks. Learned a lot.

    Is there any value in figuring out exact which one was the problem? If it's important to the newsgroup, I can add them back one by one and see if that brings the bug back. Shall I?

+ Reply to Thread