Why has my FF2....12 Gotten So Much Slower? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Why has my FF2....12 Gotten So Much Slower? - Mozilla ; My FF2...12 for some reason is taking a greater length of time to load. Why might that be? It's STILL not as slow a load as IE7, which I'd gladly dump if I didn't get lots of complaints from apps ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Why has my FF2....12 Gotten So Much Slower?

  1. Why has my FF2....12 Gotten So Much Slower?

    My FF2...12 for some reason is taking a greater length of time to load. Why
    might that be? It's STILL not as slow a load as IE7, which I'd gladly dump
    if I didn't get lots of complaints from apps that want to use it for their
    reports.



  2. Re: Why has my FF2....12 Gotten So Much Slower?

    Steve Turner wrote:
    > My FF2...12 for some reason is taking a greater length of time to load. Why
    > might that be? It's STILL not as slow a load as IE7, which I'd gladly dump
    > if I didn't get lots of complaints from apps that want to use it for their
    > reports.
    >
    >



    Whats the speed of your machine? What system?


    Strange, the USUAL 'benchmark' to rate slowness is compared to IE - as in
    'How come Firefox doesn't load as fast as IE'

    and the answer is, because IE is loaded at startup for you (as part of
    the system).

    But, in your case, you claim that FF, while 'slow' (compared to what?)
    is still FASTER than IE! That's not a claim many can make on windows.


    So if Firefox is loading FASTER than IE for you, and you are on a
    windows system (your headers indicate you are - or at least posted from
    one) then something is very, very wrong with your system!

    IE should load in MUCH less time than Firefox, simply because it is
    loaded at windows startup for you. On my Windows system, IE comes up
    instanteously, a click or double click and IE is there. If your
    IE isn't doing that, something is very, very wrong with your system.

  3. Re: Why has my FF2....12 Gotten So Much Slower?

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Steve Turner wrote:
    >> My FF2...12 for some reason is taking a greater length of time to
    >> load. Why might that be? It's STILL not as slow a load as IE7, which
    >> I'd gladly dump if I didn't get lots of complaints from apps that want
    >> to use it for their reports.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Whats the speed of your machine? What system?
    >
    >
    > Strange, the USUAL 'benchmark' to rate slowness is compared to IE - as in
    > 'How come Firefox doesn't load as fast as IE'
    >
    > and the answer is, because IE is loaded at startup for you (as part of
    > the system).
    >
    > But, in your case, you claim that FF, while 'slow' (compared to what?)
    > is still FASTER than IE! That's not a claim many can make on windows.
    >
    >
    > So if Firefox is loading FASTER than IE for you, and you are on a
    > windows system (your headers indicate you are - or at least posted from
    > one) then something is very, very wrong with your system!
    >
    > IE should load in MUCH less time than Firefox, simply because it is
    > loaded at windows startup for you. On my Windows system, IE comes up
    > instanteously, a click or double click and IE is there. If your
    > IE isn't doing that, something is very, very wrong with your system.


    So compared with when I first installed FF2...12. I've stripped all the
    addons out, mostly, too. There's just no comparison btwm FF amd IE7. If
    it weren't for the requirement of some of the other software's reporting
    schema, I would have removed IE7 from my system long ago!

    I have a 2.2GHz Celeron, on Kubuntu 8.04 with 512MBS of RAM and a 60Gig
    HDD that is about half full. I intentional keep my disk cleaned down
    because I notice the whole thing slows right down when it starts to get
    full.

    Under Windows I am on XP Home, SP2.

  4. Re: Why has my FF2....12 Gotten So Much Slower?

    On 02-05-2008 00:07 CET, stevezygote composed this enchanting statement:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Steve Turner wrote:
    >>> My FF2...12 for some reason is taking a greater length of time to
    >>> load. Why might that be? It's STILL not as slow a load as IE7, which
    >>> I'd gladly dump if I didn't get lots of complaints from apps that
    >>> want to use it for their reports.
    >>>

    >> Whats the speed of your machine? What system?
    >>
    >> Strange, the USUAL 'benchmark' to rate slowness is compared to IE -
    >> as in
    >> 'How come Firefox doesn't load as fast as IE'
    >> and the answer is, because IE is loaded at startup for you (as part
    >> of the system).
    >>
    >> But, in your case, you claim that FF, while 'slow' (compared to
    >> what?) is still FASTER than IE! That's not a claim many can make on
    >> windows.
    >>
    >> So if Firefox is loading FASTER than IE for you, and you are on a
    >> windows system (your headers indicate you are - or at least posted
    >> from one) then something is very, very wrong with your system!
    >>
    >> IE should load in MUCH less time than Firefox, simply because it is
    >> loaded at windows startup for you. On my Windows system, IE comes up
    >> instanteously, a click or double click and IE is there. If
    >> your IE isn't doing that, something is very, very wrong with your
    >> system.

    >
    > So compared with when I first installed FF2...12. I've stripped all
    > the addons out, mostly, too. There's just no comparison btwm FF amd
    > IE7. If it weren't for the requirement of some of the other software's
    > reporting schema, I would have removed IE7 from my system long ago!
    >
    > I have a 2.2GHz Celeron, on Kubuntu 8.04 with 512MBS of RAM and a
    > 60Gig HDD that is about half full. I intentional keep my disk cleaned
    > down because I notice the whole thing slows right down when it starts
    > to get full.
    >
    > Under Windows I am on XP Home, SP2.


    Test reports on Firefox version 3 beta indicate a landslide move in the
    area of performance and resource management.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

    (MacOS 10.3.9 / Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)

  5. Re: Why has my FF2....12 Gotten So Much Slower?

    On 30-04-2008 20:53 CET, Steve Turner composed this enchanting statement:
    > My FF2...12 for some reason is taking a greater length of time to load. Why
    > might that be? It's STILL not as slow a load as IE7, which I'd gladly dump
    > if I didn't get lots of complaints from apps that want to use it for their
    > reports.
    >

    This article on the forthcoming release of version 3 of Firefox may
    interest you:



    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

    (MacOS 10.3.9 / Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)

+ Reply to Thread