Firefox 3beta5 reads a lot from hard disk - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox 3beta5 reads a lot from hard disk - Mozilla ; Hello everybody, as you may know Ubuntu 8.04 include FF3beta 5 as browser. I have noticed FF causes a lot of I/O, for more than two minutes, when started. This causes slowness in interaction because the UI is often non-responding. ...

  1. Firefox 3beta5 reads a lot from hard disk

    Hello everybody,
    as you may know Ubuntu 8.04 include FF3beta 5 as browser. I
    have noticed FF causes a lot of I/O, for more than two
    minutes, when started. This causes slowness in interaction
    because the UI is often non-responding. After the intensive
    disk I/O FF works normally. I wonder why this happens.

    Thanks

    Noiano

  2. Re: Firefox 3beta5 reads a lot from hard disk

    Noiano wrote:
    > Hello everybody,
    > as you may know Ubuntu 8.04 include FF3beta 5 as browser. I
    > have noticed FF causes a lot of I/O, for more than two
    > minutes, when started. This causes slowness in interaction
    > because the UI is often non-responding. After the intensive
    > disk I/O FF works normally. I wonder why this happens.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Noiano

    it is also veeeerrrrry slow on WinMCE... almost a minute before any
    button reacts upon start-up... then slow to switch between pages...

  3. Re: Firefox 3beta5 reads a lot from hard disk

    sean bean wrote:
    > Noiano wrote:
    >> Hello everybody,
    >> as you may know Ubuntu 8.04 include FF3beta 5 as browser. I
    >> have noticed FF causes a lot of I/O, for more than two
    >> minutes, when started. This causes slowness in interaction
    >> because the UI is often non-responding. After the intensive
    >> disk I/O FF works normally. I wonder why this happens.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Noiano
    >>

    > it is also veeeerrrrry slow on WinMCE... almost a minute before any
    > button reacts upon start-up... then slow to switch between pages...

    I have lots of bookmarks...can bookmarks cause slowness?

    Noiano

  4. Re: Firefox 3beta5 reads a lot from hard disk

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 09:52:13 +0200, Noiano wrote in message
    :

    > sean bean wrote:
    >> Noiano wrote:
    >>> Hello everybody,
    >>> as you may know Ubuntu 8.04 include FF3beta 5 as browser. I
    >>> have noticed FF causes a lot of I/O, for more than two
    >>> minutes, when started. This causes slowness in interaction
    >>> because the UI is often non-responding. After the intensive
    >>> disk I/O FF works normally. I wonder why this happens.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Noiano
    >>>

    >> it is also veeeerrrrry slow on WinMCE... almost a minute before any
    >> button reacts upon start-up... then slow to switch between pages...
    >>

    > I have lots of bookmarks...can bookmarks cause slowness?

    Well, to see any relevant performance changes on a normal home computer you
    would need hundreds of bookmarks. Do you have that many? ;-)

    You can export your bookmarks to a normal html file, save this file to a
    folder where you like on your local computer, and then make a bookmark to
    this file. That way you can save and use a large amount of bookmarks that
    you don't often use, if the amount of bookmarks is causing you too much
    performance issues to keep them on the bookmarks menu. When you access the
    bookmarks file, it will look like a normal html page with a large amount of
    links in it.

+ Reply to Thread