Just a mention in passing - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Just a mention in passing - Mozilla ; My browser of choice: Firefox 2.0.0.14 Broadband connection to the net. I received an update notice a few days ago for an application I use a lot, Powerdesk Pro (update from 6 to version 7). I paid my lolly by ...

  1. Just a mention in passing

    My browser of choice: Firefox 2.0.0.14
    Broadband connection to the net.

    I received an update notice a few days ago for an application I use a lot,
    Powerdesk Pro (update from 6 to version 7).

    I paid my lolly by plastic, and proceeded to attempt a download, I tried
    three times over an extended period, but every single time the download
    got part way through the process, froze up and would not resume, almost
    like a time out.

    I'm an early riser, (4:30 AM) so next morning after ablutions I try the
    download again, same process, partway through freeze up.

    (Rude words because I now have to use MIE)

    I now run Internet Explorer 7, click the download link, and the update
    (72MB) downloads without any glitches or pauses at all.

    I has been suggested to me that the download site is configured to work
    with MIE rather than a browser of the users choice.

    So I guess my question the the Browser literati here is:

    Are people still creating web sites that conform to the MS view of how
    things should be?

    Cheers
    Dave S

    --

  2. Re: Just a mention in passing

    --

    "Dave Symes" wrote in message
    > My browser of choice: Firefox 2.0.0.14
    > Broadband connection to the net.
    >
    > I received an update notice a few days ago for an application I use a lot,
    > Powerdesk Pro (update from 6 to version 7).
    >
    > I paid my lolly by plastic, and proceeded to attempt a download, I tried
    > three times over an extended period, but every single time the download
    > got part way through the process, froze up and would not resume, almost
    > like a time out.
    >
    > I'm an early riser, (4:30 AM) so next morning after ablutions I try the
    > download again, same process, partway through freeze up.
    >
    > (Rude words because I now have to use MIE)
    >
    > I now run Internet Explorer 7, click the download link, and the update
    > (72MB) downloads without any glitches or pauses at all.
    >
    > I has been suggested to me that the download site is configured to work
    > with MIE rather than a browser of the users choice.
    >
    > So I guess my question the the Browser literati here is:
    >
    > Are people still creating web sites that conform to the MS view of how
    > things should be?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Dave S
    >
    > --
    >
    >It appears so. I tried to make a donation to the Race for Life scheme on
    >Firefox but couldn't make it work. Went to IE7 and the missing text boxes
    >appeared and it worked.

    Richard

  3. Re: Just a mention in passing

    Dave Symes wrote:
    > My browser of choice: Firefox 2.0.0.14
    > Broadband connection to the net.
    >
    > I received an update notice a few days ago for an application I use a lot,
    > Powerdesk Pro (update from 6 to version 7).
    >
    > I paid my lolly by plastic, and proceeded to attempt a download, I tried
    > three times over an extended period, but every single time the download
    > got part way through the process, froze up and would not resume, almost
    > like a time out.
    >
    > I'm an early riser, (4:30 AM) so next morning after ablutions I try the
    > download again, same process, partway through freeze up.
    >
    > (Rude words because I now have to use MIE)
    >
    > I now run Internet Explorer 7, click the download link, and the update
    > (72MB) downloads without any glitches or pauses at all.
    >
    > I has been suggested to me that the download site is configured to work
    > with MIE rather than a browser of the users choice.
    >
    > So I guess my question the the Browser literati here is:
    >
    > Are people still creating web sites that conform to the MS view of how
    > things should be?

    Well, PayPal has apparently announced that they may restrict their site
    to IE. There's a hint of the mentality that's still out there.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  4. Re: Just a mention in passing

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Dave Symes wrote:
    >> My browser of choice: Firefox 2.0.0.14
    >> Broadband connection to the net.
    >>
    >> I received an update notice a few days ago for an application I use a
    >> lot,
    >> Powerdesk Pro (update from 6 to version 7).
    >>
    >> I paid my lolly by plastic, and proceeded to attempt a download, I tried
    >> three times over an extended period, but every single time the download
    >> got part way through the process, froze up and would not resume, almost
    >> like a time out.
    >>
    >> I'm an early riser, (4:30 AM) so next morning after ablutions I try the
    >> download again, same process, partway through freeze up.
    >>
    >> (Rude words because I now have to use MIE)
    >>
    >> I now run Internet Explorer 7, click the download link, and the update
    >> (72MB) downloads without any glitches or pauses at all.
    >>
    >> I has been suggested to me that the download site is configured to work
    >> with MIE rather than a browser of the users choice.
    >>
    >> So I guess my question the the Browser literati here is:
    >>
    >> Are people still creating web sites that conform to the MS view of how
    >> things should be?

    > Well, PayPal has apparently announced that they may restrict their site
    > to IE. There's a hint of the mentality that's still out there.

    See http://tinyurl.com/6k8fs3 for a full discussion on this subject. It sez in part:
    "If you use an *older version* of Internet Explorer or FireFox, you may soon lose access to financial site PayPal. ..."

  5. Re: Just a mention in passing

    Don Nickell wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Dave Symes wrote:
    >>> My browser of choice: Firefox 2.0.0.14
    >>> Broadband connection to the net.
    >>>
    >>> I received an update notice a few days ago for an application I use a
    >>> lot,
    >>> Powerdesk Pro (update from 6 to version 7).
    >>>
    >>> I paid my lolly by plastic, and proceeded to attempt a download, I tried
    >>> three times over an extended period, but every single time the download
    >>> got part way through the process, froze up and would not resume, almost
    >>> like a time out.
    >>>
    >>> I'm an early riser, (4:30 AM) so next morning after ablutions I try the
    >>> download again, same process, partway through freeze up.
    >>>
    >>> (Rude words because I now have to use MIE)
    >>>
    >>> I now run Internet Explorer 7, click the download link, and the update
    >>> (72MB) downloads without any glitches or pauses at all.
    >>>
    >>> I has been suggested to me that the download site is configured to work
    >>> with MIE rather than a browser of the users choice.
    >>>
    >>> So I guess my question the the Browser literati here is:
    >>>
    >>> Are people still creating web sites that conform to the MS view of how
    >>> things should be?

    >> Well, PayPal has apparently announced that they may restrict their site
    >> to IE. There's a hint of the mentality that's still out there.
    >>

    > See http://tinyurl.com/6k8fs3 for a full discussion on this subject. It sez in part:
    > "If you use an *older version* of Internet Explorer or FireFox, you may soon lose access to financial site PayPal. ..."

    My apologies for vectoring a misinterpretation of a news item I
    apparently did not read very well. Thanks for the clarification.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  6. Re: Just a mention in passing

    Dave Symes wrote:
    > My browser of choice: Firefox 2.0.0.14
    > Broadband connection to the net.
    >
    > I received an update notice a few days ago for an application I use a lot,
    > Powerdesk Pro (update from 6 to version 7).
    >
    > I paid my lolly by plastic, and proceeded to attempt a download, I tried
    > three times over an extended period, but every single time the download
    > got part way through the process, froze up and would not resume, almost
    > like a time out.
    >
    > I'm an early riser, (4:30 AM) so next morning after ablutions I try the
    > download again, same process, partway through freeze up.
    >
    > (Rude words because I now have to use MIE)
    >
    > I now run Internet Explorer 7, click the download link, and the update
    > (72MB) downloads without any glitches or pauses at all.
    >
    > I has been suggested to me that the download site is configured to work
    > with MIE rather than a browser of the users choice.
    >
    > So I guess my question the the Browser literati here is:
    >
    > Are people still creating web sites that conform to the MS view of how
    > things should be?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Dave S

    I did not have this problem in similiar situation. Download completed OK
    on my XP system. I also ALWAYS pay for an backup CD if possible since I
    don't want to keep these large exec files on my disk. The CD also worked
    properly on a VISTA system.

  7. Re: Just a mention in passing

    Don Nickell wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Dave Symes wrote:
    >>> My browser of choice: Firefox 2.0.0.14
    >>> Broadband connection to the net.
    >>>
    >>> I received an update notice a few days ago for an application I use a
    >>> lot,
    >>> Powerdesk Pro (update from 6 to version 7).
    >>>
    >>> I paid my lolly by plastic, and proceeded to attempt a download, I tried
    >>> three times over an extended period, but every single time the download
    >>> got part way through the process, froze up and would not resume, almost
    >>> like a time out.
    >>>
    >>> I'm an early riser, (4:30 AM) so next morning after ablutions I try the
    >>> download again, same process, partway through freeze up.
    >>>
    >>> (Rude words because I now have to use MIE)
    >>>
    >>> I now run Internet Explorer 7, click the download link, and the update
    >>> (72MB) downloads without any glitches or pauses at all.
    >>>
    >>> I has been suggested to me that the download site is configured to work
    >>> with MIE rather than a browser of the users choice.
    >>>
    >>> So I guess my question the the Browser literati here is:
    >>>
    >>> Are people still creating web sites that conform to the MS view of how
    >>> things should be?

    >> Well, PayPal has apparently announced that they may restrict their
    >> site to IE. There's a hint of the mentality that's still out there.
    >>

    > See http://tinyurl.com/6k8fs3 for a full discussion on this subject. It
    > sez in part:
    > "If you use an *older version* of Internet Explorer or FireFox, you may
    > soon lose access to financial site PayPal. ..."

    Frankly, PayPal can take their site and shove it where the sun doesn't
    shine. Bet they reevaluate their decision when IE8 comes out, and
    demands they dispense with ActiveX and proprietary ways of doing things.
    MS seems to be on the right track with this one.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread