The connection timed out - Mozilla

This is a discussion on The connection timed out - Mozilla ; Greetings from a first time poster. Got the nomex on as I'm sure this has been hashed out many times before, but it's a new one for me so hope you may have some ideas to help out. Here's what ...

  1. The connection timed out

    Greetings from a first time poster. Got the nomex on as I'm sure this
    has been hashed out many times before, but it's a new one for me so hope
    you may have some ideas to help out.

    Here's what I've posted to the support forum, usually quicker in a
    newsgroup, so please help a newbie out here.

    Thanks
    Mark

    every other program that access internet works fine.
    tried creating test profile- no luck
    disabled windows firewall and AVG -no luck
    cleared all private data-no luck
    even deleted firefox and reinstalled -no luck
    downloaded and ran the firewall proggie Enum or whatever the knowledge
    base called it, found windoze firewall and 4 instances of grisoft, so
    nothing new there.
    Did a system restore for grins and giggles, and repeated above, no luck

    BTW: firefox is working just fine on 3 other machines in the house,
    all configured the exact same way. Go figure.

    Extensions installed:
    Talkback, IE Tab, Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer,
    DOM Inspector, AVG Safesearch(new as of this morning) after deleting v
    7.5 to see if I could get back in.

  2. Re: The connection timed out

    On 25-04-2008 14:19 CET, pheasant composed this enchanting statement:
    > Greetings from a first time poster. Got the nomex on as I'm sure this
    > has been hashed out many times before, but it's a new one for me so
    > hope you may have some ideas to help out.
    >
    > Here's what I've posted to the support forum, usually quicker in a
    > newsgroup, so please help a newbie out here.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark
    >

    > every other program that access internet works fine.
    > tried creating test profile- no luck
    > disabled windows firewall and AVG -no luck
    > cleared all private data-no luck
    > even deleted firefox and reinstalled -no luck
    > downloaded and ran the firewall proggie Enum or whatever the knowledge
    > base called it, found windoze firewall and 4 instances of grisoft, so
    > nothing new there.
    > Did a system restore for grins and giggles, and repeated above, no luck
    >
    > BTW: firefox is working just fine on 3 other machines in the house,
    > all configured the exact same way. Go figure.
    >
    > Extensions installed:
    > Talkback, IE Tab, Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer,
    > DOM Inspector, AVG Safesearch(new as of this morning) after deleting v
    > 7.5 to see if I could get back in.

    You did not mention the web page and the connection speed of your
    internet service.

    Anyway, I'll get you to know how to tweak some user preferences:

    Type: 'about:config' in the location bar and filter on 'timeout'. Right
    click on the timeout of your choice for the context menu and alter the
    value as you seem fit.

    Take care! Do not touch these preferences, if you do not know what you
    are doing (with the exception of the above, of course ;-) )!

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: The connection timed out

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    > You did not mention the web page and the connection speed of your
    > internet service.
    >
    > Anyway, I'll get you to know how to tweak some user preferences:
    >
    > Type: 'about:config' in the location bar and filter on 'timeout'. Right
    > click on the timeout of your choice for the context menu and alter the
    > value as you seem fit.
    >
    > Take care! Do not touch these preferences, if you do not know what you
    > are doing (with the exception of the above, of course ;-) )!

    I've got a wireless router hooked to a cable modem. The old laptop is
    working right next to it, so know it's not the wi fi.

    Not sure what values to change, I toggled to false, user set, and it
    still timed out. There are 4 other values, ranging from 5000 for
    accessibility, 300 for network idle and keep alive, and 1800 for proxy
    failover. The lan settings are direct to internet, so no proxy is used.

    Also on windows firewall, I removed Firefox and asked it to tell me when
    something attempts to connect; it's like Firefox isn't even trying to
    connect, as no warning pops up. Appears to be telling me it's trying,
    but isn't doing anything but sitting and then complaining about timing
    out. UGH!!

  4. Re: The connection timed out

    On 25-04-2008 17:38 CET, pheasant composed this enchanting statement:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >

    >> You did not mention the web page and the connection speed of your
    >> internet service.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'll get you to know how to tweak some user preferences:
    >>
    >> Type: 'about:config' in the location bar and filter on 'timeout'.
    >> Right click on the timeout of your choice for the context menu and
    >> alter the value as you seem fit.
    >>
    >> Take care! Do not touch these preferences, if you do not know what
    >> you are doing (with the exception of the above, of course ;-) )!
    >>

    > I've got a wireless router hooked to a cable modem. The old laptop is
    > working right next to it, so know it's not the wi fi.
    >
    > Not sure what values to change, I toggled to false, user set, and it
    > still timed out. There are 4 other values, ranging from 5000 for
    > accessibility, 300 for network idle and keep alive, and 1800 for proxy
    > failover. The lan settings are direct to internet, so no proxy is used.
    >
    > Also on windows firewall, I removed Firefox and asked it to tell me
    > when something attempts to connect; it's like Firefox isn't even
    > trying to connect, as no warning pops up. Appears to be telling me
    > it's trying, but isn't doing anything but sitting and then complaining
    > about timing out. UGH!!

    Hmm, whereabout is the connection a problem, actually:

    the internet (WAN) connection of the router (DHCP usually),
    the PC connection (LAN) to the router (DHCP usually) or
    if applicable, the PC logical connection to your service provider (VPN)?

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  5. Re: The connection timed out

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 25-04-2008 17:38 CET, pheasant composed this enchanting statement:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>

    >>> You did not mention the web page and the connection speed of your
    >>> internet service.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I'll get you to know how to tweak some user preferences:
    >>>
    >>> Type: 'about:config' in the location bar and filter on 'timeout'.
    >>> Right click on the timeout of your choice for the context menu and
    >>> alter the value as you seem fit.
    >>>
    >>> Take care! Do not touch these preferences, if you do not know what
    >>> you are doing (with the exception of the above, of course ;-) )!
    >>>

    >> I've got a wireless router hooked to a cable modem. The old laptop is
    >> working right next to it, so know it's not the wi fi.
    >>
    >> Not sure what values to change, I toggled to false, user set, and it
    >> still timed out. There are 4 other values, ranging from 5000 for
    >> accessibility, 300 for network idle and keep alive, and 1800 for proxy
    >> failover. The lan settings are direct to internet, so no proxy is used.
    >>
    >> Also on windows firewall, I removed Firefox and asked it to tell me
    >> when something attempts to connect; it's like Firefox isn't even
    >> trying to connect, as no warning pops up. Appears to be telling me
    >> it's trying, but isn't doing anything but sitting and then complaining
    >> about timing out. UGH!!

    > Hmm, whereabout is the connection a problem, actually:
    >
    > the internet (WAN) connection of the router (DHCP usually),
    > the PC connection (LAN) to the router (DHCP usually) or
    > if applicable, the PC logical connection to your service provider (VPN)?

    Actually I got pi####ed off enough this morning to do a System Restore
    to a month ago, deleting any physical trace of Firefox, and starting
    with v 1.5 and it worked. Did the updates back to 2.0.014 and away it
    went. Before I did the Restore, tried to delete every trace of FF, and
    then it told me "another session is running; close out to start a new
    one". Don't have a clue where that came from, so just said screw it and
    bombed it back to the stone age and started over. Don't know what may
    have changed, but when it comes to computers; if it works, who cares.

    Thanks for the ideas.

  6. Re: The connection timed out

    On 26-04-2008 21:15 CET, pheasant composed this enchanting statement:

    > Actually I got pi####ed off enough this morning to do a System Restore
    > to a month ago, deleting any physical trace of Firefox, and starting
    > with v 1.5 and it worked. Did the updates back to 2.0.014 and away it
    > went. Before I did the Restore, tried to delete every trace of FF,
    > and then it told me "another session is running; close out to start a
    > new one". Don't have a clue where that came from, so just said screw
    > it and bombed it back to the stone age and started over. Don't know
    > what may have changed, but when it comes to computers; if it works,
    > who cares.
    >
    > Thanks for the ideas.

    You're welcome. Glad you found a way to get things going.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert