Passwords in Password Manager Temporarily Vanished - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Passwords in Password Manager Temporarily Vanished - Mozilla ; I'm running FF 2.0.0.14 on Win2k Pro SP4. I've been using FF for quite a few years and this is the first time this has happened. Out of the blue, when I went to sites, which I had passwords saved ...

  1. Passwords in Password Manager Temporarily Vanished

    I'm running FF 2.0.0.14 on Win2k Pro SP4. I've been using FF for quite a
    few years and this is the first time this has happened. Out of the blue,
    when I went to sites, which I had passwords saved for, the fields wouldn't
    populate. I checked my saved passwords in password manager, under
    tools/options, and they were gone. Password manager was completely empty.
    I then tried to manually type in my username and password on the sites, and
    I wasn't given the option to save them anymore, even though that option was
    checked in password manager. Once I cleared the cache/cookies and restarted
    FF and my computer, all my passwords returned.

    I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this, and if they know what may
    have caused it. I know this probably sounds paranoid, but I'm scared a site
    I went to may have accessed my passwords and that's why they disappeared. I
    know that's far fetched, but if anyone can put my mind at ease, it would be
    greatly appreciated. I haven't gone to any shady sites, and as a matter of
    fact, the only new site I had went to that day was a daily deal site someone
    told me about called diamondshark.com. Again, any info would be
    appreciated. TIA.

  2. Re: Passwords in Password Manager Temporarily Vanished

    "UnderDog" wrote in message
    > I'm running FF 2.0.0.14 on Win2k Pro SP4. I've been using FF for quite a
    > few years and this is the first time this has happened. Out of the blue,
    > when I went to sites, which I had passwords saved for, the fields wouldn't
    > populate. I checked my saved passwords in password manager, under
    > tools/options, and they were gone. Password manager was completely empty.
    > I then tried to manually type in my username and password on the sites,
    > and
    > I wasn't given the option to save them anymore, even though that option
    > was
    > checked in password manager. Once I cleared the cache/cookies and
    > restarted
    > FF and my computer, all my passwords returned.
    >
    > I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this, and if they know what may
    > have caused it. I know this probably sounds paranoid, but I'm scared a
    > site
    > I went to may have accessed my passwords and that's why they disappeared.
    > know that's far fetched, but if anyone can put my mind at ease, it would
    > be
    > greatly appreciated. I haven't gone to any shady sites, and as a matter
    > of
    > fact, the only new site I had went to that day was a daily deal site
    > someone
    > told me about called diamondshark.com. Again, any info would be
    > appreciated. TIA.

    I have had this happen a few times regardless of build, and restarting FF
    was the only way to fix it. I have since gotten an extension to back up
    passwords as I figure one day it may be gone all together.

    Bill

  3. Re: Passwords in Password Manager Temporarily Vanished

    "Bill" wrote in message
    > "UnderDog" wrote in message
    >> I'm running FF 2.0.0.14 on Win2k Pro SP4. I've been using FF for
    >> quite a few years and this is the first time this has happened. Out
    >> of the blue, when I went to sites, which I had passwords saved for,
    >> the fields wouldn't populate. I checked my saved passwords in
    >> password manager, under tools/options, and they were gone. Password
    >> manager was completely empty. I then tried to manually type in my
    >> username and password on the sites, and
    >> I wasn't given the option to save them anymore, even though that
    >> option was
    >> checked in password manager. Once I cleared the cache/cookies and
    >> restarted
    >> FF and my computer, all my passwords returned.
    >>
    >> I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this, and if they know what
    >> may have caused it. I know this probably sounds paranoid, but I'm
    >> scared a site
    >> I went to may have accessed my passwords and that's why they
    >> disappeared. I
    >> know that's far fetched, but if anyone can put my mind at ease, it
    >> would be
    >> greatly appreciated. I haven't gone to any shady sites, and as a
    >> matter of
    >> fact, the only new site I had went to that day was a daily deal site
    >> someone
    >> told me about called diamondshark.com. Again, any info would be
    >> appreciated. TIA.
    >>

    > I have had this happen a few times regardless of build, and
    > restarting FF was the only way to fix it. I have since gotten an
    > extension to back up passwords as I figure one day it may be gone all
    > together.
    >
    > Bill

    Thanks for the reply. At least I'm not the only one.....As for backing up
    passwords, isn't there a file in your profile folder that you can make a
    copy of? I had thought there was one file, whether it be in the profile
    folder or somewhere else, that held all your passwords. I'd guess that any
    backup extension would make a copy of this file, but it'd be nice to know
    what it is. Unless I'm mistaken of course.

  4. Re: Passwords in Password Manager Temporarily Vanished

    "UnderDog" wrote in message
    news:CMydnUsAkL10N4zVnZ2dnUVZ_rignZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > "Bill" wrote in message
    >> "UnderDog" wrote in message
    >>> I'm running FF 2.0.0.14 on Win2k Pro SP4. I've been using FF for
    >>> quite a few years and this is the first time this has happened. Out
    >>> of the blue, when I went to sites, which I had passwords saved for,
    >>> the fields wouldn't populate. I checked my saved passwords in
    >>> password manager, under tools/options, and they were gone. Password
    >>> manager was completely empty. I then tried to manually type in my
    >>> username and password on the sites, and
    >>> I wasn't given the option to save them anymore, even though that
    >>> option was
    >>> checked in password manager. Once I cleared the cache/cookies and
    >>> restarted
    >>> FF and my computer, all my passwords returned.
    >>>
    >>> I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this, and if they know what
    >>> may have caused it. I know this probably sounds paranoid, but I'm
    >>> scared a site
    >>> I went to may have accessed my passwords and that's why they
    >>> disappeared. I
    >>> know that's far fetched, but if anyone can put my mind at ease, it
    >>> would be
    >>> greatly appreciated. I haven't gone to any shady sites, and as a
    >>> matter of
    >>> fact, the only new site I had went to that day was a daily deal site
    >>> someone
    >>> told me about called diamondshark.com. Again, any info would be
    >>> appreciated. TIA.
    >>>

    >> I have had this happen a few times regardless of build, and
    >> restarting FF was the only way to fix it. I have since gotten an
    >> extension to back up passwords as I figure one day it may be gone all
    >> together.
    >>
    >> Bill

    > Thanks for the reply. At least I'm not the only one.....As for backing up
    > passwords, isn't there a file in your profile folder that you can make a
    > copy of? I had thought there was one file, whether it be in the profile
    > folder or somewhere else, that held all your passwords. I'd guess that
    > any
    > backup extension would make a copy of this file, but it'd be nice to know
    > what it is. Unless I'm mistaken of course.

    Yes there is a file somewhere 'key3.db' or something like that along with a
    text file for signing in

    Cant remember exactly what folder its in

    Bill

+ Reply to Thread