Problems printing from Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Problems printing from Firefox - Mozilla ; Hi I can't get background colours to print in Firefox. For example if I highlight some text using: span.Highlight {background-color: #ffffaa} and Some text .... then the highlight doesn't print in Firefox, although it prints fine in IE and Opera. ...

  1. Problems printing from Firefox

    Hi

    I can't get background colours to print in Firefox. For example if I
    highlight some text using:

    span.Highlight {background-color: #ffffaa}

    and Some text

    .... then the highlight doesn't print in Firefox, although it prints fine in
    IE and Opera.

    Similarly, if I give table rows a background colour, e.g. using:

    th {background: #FF8700}

    ... then that doesn't print in Firefox either, although it prints in all
    other browsers.

    As a result I'm seriously considering whether I'm going to have to provide
    my users with PDF versions of all my web pages for when they want to print.

    Any idea what's causing this, and is there a less time-consuming workaround
    than creating a PDF version of every webpage for people to print?

    Dave

  2. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    Dave Rado wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I can't get background colours to print in Firefox. For example if I
    > highlight some text using:
    >
    > span.Highlight {background-color: #ffffaa}
    >
    > and Some text
    >
    > ... then the highlight doesn't print in Firefox, although it prints fine in
    > IE and Opera.

    I believe the default setting is for FF to not print the background.
    You can change it, by going to File -> Page Setup -> Format & Options,
    and selecting 'Print Background (colors & images)'.

    --
    Alex K.

  3. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    Hi Alex

    "Alex K." wrote in message
    news:8uudnXP57Ns9G4zVnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    | I believe the default setting is for FF to not print the background.
    | You can change it, by going to File -> Page Setup -> Format & Options,
    | and selecting 'Print Background (colors & images)'.

    What a nightmare for well designed websites that use print media stylesheets
    to ensure that the only background pictures and images which print are those
    which *simply must* print, such as highlighted text; and that all others are
    automatically hidden by the print media css. Firefox's default seems to be
    catering for badly designed sites at the expense of well-designed ones.
    Given that a web developer like me couldn't find that option without your
    help, I very much doubt that many ordinary users will find it - at the
    least, it should be listed under Tools + Options to make it easier to find,
    IMO; and IMO the default should be for the backgrounds to print.

    Do you know whether Firefox fires an event handler before and after
    printing, such that one could use javascript to automatically switch
    background printing on when a user prints one's webpage and then return it
    to whatever setting it was on before after printing has completed?

    Dave

  4. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    Dave Rado wrote:
    > Hi Alex
    >
    > "Alex K." wrote in message
    > news:8uudnXP57Ns9G4zVnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >
    > | I believe the default setting is for FF to not print the background.
    > | You can change it, by going to File -> Page Setup -> Format & Options,
    > | and selecting 'Print Background (colors & images)'.
    >
    > What a nightmare for well designed websites that use print media stylesheets
    > to ensure that the only background pictures and images which print are those
    > which *simply must* print, such as highlighted text; and that all others are
    > automatically hidden by the print media css. Firefox's default seems to be
    > catering for badly designed sites at the expense of well-designed ones.
    > Given that a web developer like me couldn't find that option without your
    > help, I very much doubt that many ordinary users will find it - at the
    > least, it should be listed under Tools + Options to make it easier to find,
    > IMO; and IMO the default should be for the backgrounds to print.
    >
    > Do you know whether Firefox fires an event handler before and after
    > printing, such that one could use javascript to automatically switch
    > background printing on when a user prints one's webpage and then return it
    > to whatever setting it was on before after printing has completed?
    >
    > Dave

    Just my opinion, but I want the printer to print what I see on the page,
    all of it, unless I tell it otherwise. At least FF3b5 has this option.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  5. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    "Dave Rado" ...
    > Hi Alex
    >
    > "Alex K." wrote in message
    > news:8uudnXP57Ns9G4zVnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >
    > | I believe the default setting is for FF to not print the background.
    > | You can change it, by going to File -> Page Setup -> Format & Options,
    > | and selecting 'Print Background (colors & images)'.
    >
    > What a nightmare for well designed websites that use print media stylesheets
    > to ensure that the only background pictures and images which print are those
    > which *simply must* print, such as highlighted text; and that all others are
    > automatically hidden by the print media css. Firefox's default seems to be
    > catering for badly designed sites at the expense of well-designed ones.
    > Given that a web developer like me couldn't find that option without your
    > help, I very much doubt that many ordinary users will find it - at the
    > least, it should be listed under Tools + Options to make it easier to find,
    > IMO; and IMO the default should be for the backgrounds to print.
    >
    > Do you know whether Firefox fires an event handler before and after
    > printing, such that one could use javascript to automatically switch
    > background printing on when a user prints one's webpage and then return it
    > to whatever setting it was on before after printing has completed?

    From what was described, I think that is print driver behavior, and
    probably reverts back to whatever it has as default. Did you try it.

    Print Preview is another matter, and does not give you the options,
    or again dependent on driver.

    Excel has the option to always print B&W, but that is not quite the same.

    --
    HTH,

  6. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    "Ron Hunter"
    > Just my opinion, but I want the printer to print what I see on the page,
    > all of it, unless I tell it otherwise. At least FF3b5 has this option.

    I think I'd want the page to to at least indicate, this page will cost you
    $$ to print (or 1/3 of cartridge capacity) are you sure to want to print full color.

  7. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    "David McRitchie" wrote in message
    news:m6qdnT2mIv61EY_VnZ2dnUVZ_h2pnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    | From what was described, I think that is print driver behavior, and
    | probably reverts back to whatever it has as default. Did you try it.

    It's not the print driver that determines whether printing of background
    colours is on or off, it's a Firefox setting. In most browsers printing of
    background colours is on by default whereas in Firefox it's on by default.

    Dave

  8. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    Sorry, typo, I meant to write "whereas in Firefox it's off by default"

    Dave

    "Dave Rado" wrote in message
    news:T56dnbLkitf9U4_VnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    | "David McRitchie" wrote in message
    | news:m6qdnT2mIv61EY_VnZ2dnUVZ_h2pnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    |
    || From what was described, I think that is print driver behavior, and
    || probably reverts back to whatever it has as default. Did you try it.
    |
    | It's not the print driver that determines whether printing of background
    | colours is on or off, it's a Firefox setting. In most browsers printing of
    | background colours is on by default whereas in Firefox it's on by default.
    |
    | Dave

  9. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    Dave Rado wrote:

    > Do you know whether Firefox fires an event handler before and after
    > printing, such that one could use javascript to automatically switch
    > background printing on when a user prints one's webpage and then return it
    > to whatever setting it was on before after printing has completed?

    I have no idea. Perhaps someone more familiar with FF scripting
    capabilities will answer, or you might try asking in
    mozilla.dev.extensions, someone there might know.

    --
    Alex K.

  10. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter"
    >> Just my opinion, but I want the printer to print what I see on the
    >> page, all of it, unless I tell it otherwise. At least FF3b5 has this
    >> option.

    > I think I'd want the page to to at least indicate, this page will cost you
    > $$ to print (or 1/3 of cartridge capacity) are you sure to want to
    > print full color.

    I am not sure that could be done with any accuracy, but I agree with the
    idea, in general. In most cases, printouts of web pages could be done
    in 'gray scale', and at 'draft' resolution and serve just as well as a
    full color, 'high resolution' printout, but not many people take the
    time to adjust the settings.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  11. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    On 26.04.2008 03:57, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    > "Ron Hunter"
    >
    >> Just my opinion, but I want the printer to print what I see on the page,
    >> all of it, unless I tell it otherwise. At least FF3b5 has this option.
    >>

    > I think I'd want the page to to at least indicate, this page will cost you
    > $$ to print (or 1/3 of cartridge capacity) are you sure to want to print full color.

    yeah, David - and include a URL-link to "sociable" ink-sale-sites,
    selling at half the official price. Which would still be twice too much!
    Here, in Germany, it is in fact cheaper to buy a new printer (complete
    with 6 ink-tanks) than it is to buy the individual inks - through all
    the brands!

    reg

  12. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:51:59 +0100
    "Dave Rado" wrote:

    > "Alex K." wrote in message
    > news:8uudnXP57Ns9G4zVnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >
    > | I believe the default setting is for FF to not print the background.
    > | You can change it, by going to File -> Page Setup -> Format &
    > Options, | and selecting 'Print Background (colors & images)'.
    >
    > What a nightmare for well designed websites that use print media
    > stylesheets to ensure that the only background pictures and images
    > which print are those which *simply must* print, such as highlighted
    > text; and that all others are automatically hidden by the print media
    > css.

    I disagree that that's a good way to design pages, using print media
    css just to hide some things that are in the screen media css. If the
    backgrounds should be printed, the rules for them should be included in
    the print media css.

  13. Re: Problems printing from Firefox

    "Dave Rado" wrote:

    > Do you know whether Firefox fires an event handler before and after
    > printing, such that one could use javascript to automatically switch
    > background printing on when a user prints one's webpage and then
    > return it to whatever setting it was on before after printing has
    > completed?

    Sorry to reply twice -- I meant to put it all in one post.

    I don't think there's a way to change the setting with js. If there
    turns out to be, it would be a bug; web pages aren't supposed to
    be allowed to change the user's browser settings even temporarily.

+ Reply to Thread