bookmarks and a new computer - Mozilla

This is a discussion on bookmarks and a new computer - Mozilla ; I would appreciate any advise on the following: I have a computer with windows xp and have been using Firefox. I bought a new computer with vista. What would be the easiest method to transfer my Firefox bookmarks from the ...

  1. bookmarks and a new computer

    I would appreciate any advise on the following:

    I have a computer with windows xp and have been using Firefox.

    I bought a new computer with vista.

    What would be the easiest method to transfer my Firefox bookmarks from the
    xp to the vista machine?

    Thanks for the help.

    Bill

  2. Re: bookmarks and a new computer

    "Bill" wrote in message
    news:NNudnX20tudFEZHVnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > What would be the easiest method to transfer my Firefox bookmarks from the
    > xp to the vista machine?

    All you need to do is find your bookmarks.html file and copy it into the
    relevant folder on Vista. Typically that is something like
    c:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Fire fox\Profiles. It is also
    worth backing up the bookmarks.html file periodically.

  3. Re: bookmarks and a new computer

    "Mickey Segal" wrote ...
    > "Bill" wrote...
    >> What would be the easiest method to transfer my Firefox bookmarks from the
    >> xp to the vista machine?

    > All you need to do is find your bookmarks.html file and copy it into the
    > relevant folder on Vista. Typically that is something like
    > c:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Fire fox\Profiles. It is also
    > worth backing up the bookmarks.html file periodically.

    Hi Bill,
    When you have your old computer still working and a new computer, that is the
    ideal for checking if your backups are really adequate.

    Your profile has more than just bookmarks, it has passwords, history, configuration
    options for Firefox, and for your extensions, and for filling in forms.

    Create or take the profile you created on new system and delete all files and folders
    from it and copy in the files and folders from your old system's Firefox profile
    (both systems being on Windows).

    Moving your profile folder - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    Using an external hard drive works nicely for the backup and
    for the transfer to the new system, and as a test of your backup procedures.
    Reinstall all software, you want to use backup of all of your data.

    But if you use a CD to transfer files, be aware
    that most backups will set the files to readonly and you will have
    to change that at the destination -- can be done from ma higher level directory
    as long as you include sub directories.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/profile.htm

    --
    HTH,