prevent skipping: FF settings so that video streams get a priority over data - Mozilla

This is a discussion on prevent skipping: FF settings so that video streams get a priority over data - Mozilla ; Oftentimes I'm listning to a song on Youtube or an interesting tech talk hosted by google and suddenly it pops something in my mind and I need to do a wikipedia search etc. in another FF window. The moment I ...

  1. prevent skipping: FF settings so that video streams get a priority over data

    Oftentimes I'm listning to a song on Youtube or an interesting tech talk
    hosted by google and suddenly it pops something in my mind and I need to do
    a wikipedia search etc. in another FF window.

    The moment I do this the video stalls and skips momentarily. Annoying. I
    guess its because of the extra load placed on the bandwidth (I do have DSL
    / T1) I could tolerate slightly slow pull on the "text" FF window if it
    sustained enough of a bit rate to the video / audio app window.

    Is there a way to custimize FF to prioritize this? Seems very much like
    setting up a QoS but internally in FF.

    Any other ideas? Just wondering....

    --
    Rahul

  2. Re: prevent skipping: FF settings so that video streams get apriority over data

    Rahul wrote:

    > Oftentimes I'm listning to a song on Youtube or an interesting tech
    > talk hosted by google and suddenly it pops something in my mind and I
    > need to do a wikipedia search etc. in another FF window.
    >
    > The moment I do this the video stalls and skips momentarily.
    > Annoying. I guess its because of the extra load placed on the
    > bandwidth (I do have DSL / T1) I could tolerate slightly slow pull
    > on the "text" FF window if it sustained enough of a bit rate to the
    > video / audio app window.
    >
    > Is there a way to custimize FF to prioritize this? Seems very much
    > like setting up a QoS but internally in FF.
    >
    > Any other ideas? Just wondering....

    I don't think it's the network -- more likely it's temporary increase
    in CPU load and or hard drive traffic as the new window is opened. All
    the browser's chrome has to be loaded again.

    If you open a new tab instead of a new window, you might avoid the
    annoyance. No promises, though.

  3. Re: prevent skipping: FF settings so that video streams get a priority over data

    »Q« wrote in
    »news:20080421014009.3bb211d2@bellgrove.remarqs.ne t:

    > I don't think it's the network -- more likely it's temporary increase
    > in CPU load and or hard drive traffic as the new window is opened.
    > All the browser's chrome has to be loaded again.
    >
    > If you open a new tab instead of a new window, you might avoid the
    > annoyance. No promises, though.

    Ah! Never thought it was anything other than the network. Thanks for
    pointing that out! I'll try the tab solution. Or try running a really
    cpu intensive app that does not use the network (my ray-tracer?) just to
    verify your suspicion!

    --
    Rahul

+ Reply to Thread