Losing icons on Menu bar - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Losing icons on Menu bar - Mozilla ; Since upgrading from 2.0.0.13 to .14, 3 times have lost the icons added to the menu bar. In other words, it returns to the basic buttons with File, Edit, etc. Also lost the farthest right icon added to the location ...

  1. Losing icons on Menu bar

    Since upgrading from 2.0.0.13 to .14, 3 times have lost the icons added
    to the menu bar. In other words, it returns to the basic buttons with
    File, Edit, etc. Also lost the farthest right icon added to the
    location bar, but not prior ones. No change if started in safe mode.
    Have had to customize the bars to return the icons.

    Anyone else experience this with version .14 or know of another possible
    cause?
    Miles

  2. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    Miles keyboarded, On 4/20/2008 3:31 PM :
    > Since upgrading from 2.0.0.13 to .14, 3 times have lost the icons
    > added to the menu bar. In other words, it returns to the basic
    > buttons with File, Edit, etc. Also lost the farthest right icon added
    > to the location bar, but not prior ones. No change if started in safe
    > mode. Have had to customize the bars to return the icons.
    >
    > Anyone else experience this with version .14 or know of another
    > possible cause?
    > Miles

    Your using the SPC theme IIRC. Have you installed the newest update
    dated 02/13/2008?

    Which icons had you added to the menu bar besides the stock menu
    buttons? I used to pile a few on that bar in Tb, but found I was not
    using them, so stopped the practice. So I have not seen this, but your
    comment hints that one of your extensions is acting up.

    --
    Ron K.

  3. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    --
    Sonny
    "Miles" wrote in message
    > Since upgrading from 2.0.0.13 to .14, 3 times have lost the icons added to
    > the menu bar. In other words, it returns to the basic buttons with File,
    > Edit, etc. Also lost the farthest right icon added to the location bar,
    > but not prior ones. No change if started in safe mode. Have had to
    > customize the bars to return the icons.
    >
    > Anyone else experience this with version .14 or know of another possible
    > cause?
    > Miles

    Sounds to be a corrupt profile with localstore.rdf file

  4. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    Ron K. keyboarded, On 4/20/2008 5:24 PM :
    > Miles keyboarded, On 4/20/2008 3:31 PM :
    >> Since upgrading from 2.0.0.13 to .14, 3 times have lost the icons
    >> added to the menu bar. In other words, it returns to the basic
    >> buttons with File, Edit, etc. Also lost the farthest right icon
    >> added to the location bar, but not prior ones. No change if started
    >> in safe mode. Have had to customize the bars to return the icons.
    >>
    >> Anyone else experience this with version .14 or know of another
    >> possible cause?
    >> Miles

    > Your using the SPC theme IIRC. Have you installed the newest update
    > dated 02/13/2008?
    >
    > Which icons had you added to the menu bar besides the stock menu
    > buttons? I used to pile a few on that bar in Tb, but found I was not
    > using them, so stopped the practice. So I have not seen this, but your
    > comment hints that one of your extensions is acting up.

    Duh, should have put on my glasses. An addendum, With Firefox I do have
    three stock SPC icons and the search bar on the menu bar and have not
    had any changes with the update. I also use a SPC sub-skin that swaps a
    Go icon for the default.

    --
    Ron K.

  5. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    * Ron K. wrote, On 4/20/2008 14:24:
    > Miles keyboarded, On 4/20/2008 3:31 PM :
    >> Since upgrading from 2.0.0.13 to .14, 3 times have lost the icons
    >> added to the menu bar. In other words, it returns to the basic
    >> buttons with File, Edit, etc. Also lost the farthest right icon added
    >> to the location bar, but not prior ones. No change if started in safe
    >> mode. Have had to customize the bars to return the icons.
    >>
    >> Anyone else experience this with version .14 or know of another
    >> possible cause?
    >> Miles

    > Your using the SPC theme IIRC. Have you installed the newest update
    > dated 02/13/2008?
    >
    > Which icons had you added to the menu bar besides the stock menu
    > buttons? I used to pile a few on that bar in Tb, but found I was not
    > using them, so stopped the practice. So I have not seen this, but your
    > comment hints that one of your extensions is acting up.

    However, Ron, as I said, starting FF in safe mode did not return the
    icons, which I should think it should if it were theme related -- or
    perhaps once they're gone, they're gone, and need to be moved back up
    into place.

    Also for some strange reason cannot find a later version of SPC than
    1.1.20071124, although the site claims the latest update was on 2-13-08,
    and I doubt that build should read ...2007... At any rate, I've
    reinstalled 2007 over the top and see if anything changes over the next
    few days. If not, will try as Sonny suggests and delete localstore --
    as I recall, it rebuilds without any losses???

    That's found at site:

    https://www.projectit.com/

    And the same site with the same result is reached by first going to:

    http://themes.mozdev.org/themeSites.html

    What I have in the menu bar is: open extension mgr, smileys, launchy,
    screenshot, screenshot, reopen tabs, restart, & exit FF. -- Oh, and
    the search bar is also there. Below in the location bar I've added
    picklens, call with Jajah, and evernote. Most of these are frequently used.

    Wish someone would add an extension that would allow opening bookmarks
    directly without necessity of the dropdown menu.

  6. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    "Sonny" wrote:
    > "Miles" wrote in message
    >> Since upgrading from 2.0.0.13 to .14, 3 times have lost the icons added to
    >> the menu bar. In other words, it returns to the basic buttons with File,
    >> Edit, etc. Also lost the farthest right icon added to the location bar,
    >> but not prior ones. No change if started in safe mode. Have had to
    >> customize the bars to return the icons.
    >>
    >> Anyone else experience this with version .14 or know of another possible
    >> cause?
    >> Miles

    > Sounds to be a corrupt profile with localstore.rdf file

    Hi Miles and Sonny,
    Corrupt profile sounds very scary, when you are just referring to localstore.rdf
    in the profile. Suggest you take a picture of your toolbars, then read ...
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf

    Firefox will rebuild the localstore.rdf, but you will need to recustomize your
    toolbars. View, toolbars, customize (or right-click on toolbars for a shortcut)
    then move icons on/off toolbars for customizations you previously had.

    --
    HTH,

  7. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    * David McRitchie wrote, On 4/20/2008 19:11:
    > "Sonny" wrote:
    >> "Miles" wrote in message
    >>> Since upgrading from 2.0.0.13 to .14, 3 times have lost the icons
    >>> added to the menu bar. In other words, it returns to the basic
    >>> buttons with File, Edit, etc. Also lost the farthest right icon
    >>> added to the location bar, but not prior ones. No change if started
    >>> in safe mode. Have had to customize the bars to return the icons.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else experience this with version .14 or know of another
    >>> possible cause?
    >>> Miles

    >> Sounds to be a corrupt profile with localstore.rdf file

    > Hi Miles and Sonny,
    > Corrupt profile sounds very scary, when you are just referring to
    > localstore.rdf
    > in the profile. Suggest you take a picture of your toolbars, then read
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf
    >
    > Firefox will rebuild the localstore.rdf, but you will need to
    > recustomize your
    > toolbars. View, toolbars, customize (or right-click on toolbars for
    > a shortcut)
    > then move icons on/off toolbars for customizations you previously had.

    That's what I was afraid of, so will let it ride until if & when it
    again occurs and the toolbars need to be rebuilt anyway. Is anything
    else lost?

  8. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    --
    Sonny
    "Miles" wrote in message
    news:iIKdnQbpVsTUZJbVnZ2dnUVZ_qLinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >* David McRitchie wrote, On 4/20/2008 19:11:
    >> "Sonny" wrote:
    >>> "Miles" wrote in message

    >>> Sounds to be a corrupt profile with localstore.rdf file

    >> Hi Miles and Sonny,
    >> Corrupt profile sounds very scary, when you are just referring to
    >> localstore.rdf
    >> in the profile. Suggest you take a picture of your toolbars, then read
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf
    >>
    >> Firefox will rebuild the localstore.rdf, but you will need to
    >> recustomize your
    >> toolbars. View, toolbars, customize (or right-click on toolbars for a
    >> shortcut)
    >> then move icons on/off toolbars for customizations you previously had.
    >>

    > That's what I was afraid of, so will let it ride until if & when it again
    > occurs and the toolbars need to be rebuilt anyway. Is anything else lost?

    Miles,
    Like David said, if you delete localstore.rdf, it will get rebuilt with the
    default settings and you will have to rebuild your toolbar. Nothing else
    should be affected. You can rename your current localstore.rdf instead of
    deleting it so you can always revert back if needed.

  9. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    Miles keyboarded, On 4/20/2008 10:03 PM :
    > * Ron K. wrote, On 4/20/2008 14:24:
    >> Miles keyboarded, On 4/20/2008 3:31 PM :
    >>> Since upgrading from 2.0.0.13 to .14, 3 times have lost the icons
    >>> added to the menu bar. In other words, it returns to the basic
    >>> buttons with File, Edit, etc. Also lost the farthest right icon
    >>> added to the location bar, but not prior ones. No change if started
    >>> in safe mode. Have had to customize the bars to return the icons.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else experience this with version .14 or know of another
    >>> possible cause?
    >>> Miles

    >> Your using the SPC theme IIRC. Have you installed the newest update
    >> dated 02/13/2008?
    >>
    >> Which icons had you added to the menu bar besides the stock menu
    >> buttons? I used to pile a few on that bar in Tb, but found I was not
    >> using them, so stopped the practice. So I have not seen this, but
    >> your comment hints that one of your extensions is acting up.
    >>

    > However, Ron, as I said, starting FF in safe mode did not return the
    > icons, which I should think it should if it were theme related -- or
    > perhaps once they're gone, they're gone, and need to be moved back up
    > into place.

    I miss read the "No change if started in safe mode." to mean that the
    icons were not disappearing in safe mode.

    > Also for some strange reason cannot find a later version of SPC than
    > 1.1.20071124, although the site claims the latest update was on
    > 2-13-08, and I doubt that build should read ...2007... At any rate,
    > I've reinstalled 2007 over the top and see if anything changes over
    > the next few days. If not, will try as Sonny suggests and delete
    > localstore -- as I recall, it rebuilds without any losses???
    >
    > That's found at site:
    >
    > https://www.projectit.com/

    This link above should show you a table with a yellow background. In
    the table click the SPC link and it will jump down to the SPC entry on
    the page. I went to the SPC section and copied this link from the
    "Download" link. You need to be using a Fx 2.0+ browser to fetch with
    due to a Fx version sniffer script.

    > And the same site with the same result is reached by first going to:
    >
    > http://themes.mozdev.org/themeSites.html
    >
    > What I have in the menu bar is: open extension mgr, smileys, launchy,
    > screenshot, screenshot, reopen tabs, restart, & exit FF. -- Oh, and
    > the search bar is also there. Below in the location bar I've added
    > picklens, call with Jajah, and evernote. Most of these are frequently
    > used.
    >
    > Wish someone would add an extension that would allow opening bookmarks
    > directly without necessity of the dropdown menu.

    Wow, you have that bar really packed. I have 8 menu buttons, but when
    the SPC icons for Print, New Tab, and Bookmarks are added with the Text
    Label option I run out of room quickly. Clearly I am not a power user
    of Fx.

    --
    Ron K.

  10. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    * Ron K. wrote, On 4/20/2008 20:38:
    > Miles keyboarded, On 4/20/2008 10:03 PM :
    >> * Ron K. wrote, On 4/20/2008 14:24:
    >>> Miles keyboarded, On 4/20/2008 3:31 PM :

    >>> Your using the SPC theme IIRC. Have you installed the newest update
    >>> dated 02/13/2008?
    >>>
    >>> Which icons had you added to the menu bar besides the stock menu
    >>> buttons? I used to pile a few on that bar in Tb, but found I was not
    >>> using them, so stopped the practice. So I have not seen this, but
    >>> your comment hints that one of your extensions is acting up.
    >>>

    >> However, Ron, as I said, starting FF in safe mode did not return the
    >> icons, which I should think it should if it were theme related -- or
    >> perhaps once they're gone, they're gone, and need to be moved back up
    >> into place.

    > I miss read the "No change if started in safe mode." to mean that the
    > icons were not disappearing in safe mode.
    >
    >> Also for some strange reason cannot find a later version of SPC than
    >> 1.1.20071124, although the site claims the latest update was on
    >> 2-13-08, and I doubt that build should read ...2007... At any rate,
    >> I've reinstalled 2007 over the top and see if anything changes over
    >> the next few days. If not, will try as Sonny suggests and delete
    >> localstore -- as I recall, it rebuilds without any losses???
    >>
    >> That's found at site:
    >>
    >> https://www.projectit.com/

    > This link above should show you a table with a yellow background. In
    > the table click the SPC link and it will jump down to the SPC entry on
    > the page. I went to the SPC section and copied this link from the
    > "Download" link. You need to be using a Fx 2.0+ browser to fetch with
    > due to a Fx version sniffer script.
    >

    >> And the same site with the same result is reached by first going to:
    >>
    >> http://themes.mozdev.org/themeSites.html
    >>
    >> What I have in the menu bar is: open extension mgr, smileys, launchy,
    >> screenshot, screenshot, reopen tabs, restart, & exit FF. -- Oh, and
    >> the search bar is also there. Below in the location bar I've added
    >> picklens, call with Jajah, and evernote. Most of these are frequently
    >> used.
    >>
    >> Wish someone would add an extension that would allow opening bookmarks
    >> directly without necessity of the dropdown menu.
    >>

    > Wow, you have that bar really packed. I have 8 menu buttons, but when
    > the SPC icons for Print, New Tab, and Bookmarks are added with the Text
    > Label option I run out of room quickly. Clearly I am not a power user
    > of Fx.

    Not really overly packed using icons -- and most have a spacer between.
    Most of the icons are quite intuitive so not a bother -- such as the
    Exit Firefox (to replace opening File dropdown) is a red circle and I've
    located it immediately below the X at the upper right. And to the left
    of it is Restart, and the next is Reopen Tab(s). so it's quite logically
    sequenced. Don't believe the search field is needed (location field
    suffices), except I've added the extension that allows a choice of
    search engines, where other than Google are sometimes used.

  11. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    "Sonny" wrote:...
    > "Miles" wrote in messag...
    >> That's what I was afraid of, so will let it ride until if & when it again
    >> occurs and the toolbars need to be rebuilt anyway. Is anything else lost?

    > Miles,
    > Like David said, if you delete localstore.rdf, it will get rebuilt with the
    > default settings and you will have to rebuild your toolbar. Nothing else
    > should be affected. You can rename your current localstore.rdf instead of
    > deleting it so you can always revert back if needed.

    In answer to is anything else lost, see the first paragraph in
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf

    as it can also affect your usage of bookmarks. Of course you won't
    even know for sure if that is the problem or not unless you try to fix it.

    If you need help find/working with your profile, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/profile.htm

    Taking a picture is easy, use print screen and paste into MS Word
    or into any WYSIWYG editor. I use a point and shoot digital camera,
    though actually I've done this often enough, that I know where each
    item is on the visible toolbars, and I even have pictures (tabs.htm) for
    myself on my webpages .
    --
    HTH,

  12. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    sorry just got on system and missed the other sub thread.

  13. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    Thanks for the tips. Although all remains fine today, don't know what
    will occur tonight or tomorrow! So will wait and see. One question:
    If it is due to a corrupt localstore, why would it delete the added
    toolbar items, then once replaced, it continues to work for several days
    before recurrence? Logic is telling me that if the file is corrupt, it
    should remain so and every time FF is opened the additions should be
    gone. What am I missing in that train of thought?

    * David McRitchie wrote, On 4/21/2008 06:26:

    > "Sonny" wrote:...
    >> "Miles" wrote in messag...

    > In answer to is anything else lost, see the first paragraph in

    > as it can also affect your usage of bookmarks. Of course you won't
    > even know for sure if that is the problem or not unless you try to fix it.
    >
    > If you need help find/working with your profile, see
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/profile.htm
    > Taking a picture is easy, use print screen and paste into MS Word
    > or into any WYSIWYG editor. I use a point and shoot digital camera,
    > though actually I've done this often enough, that I know where each
    > item is on the visible toolbars, and I even have pictures (tabs.htm) for
    > myself on my webpages .

  14. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    Miles keyboarded, On 4/21/2008 2:52 PM :
    > Thanks for the tips. Although all remains fine today, don't know what
    > will occur tonight or tomorrow! So will wait and see. One
    > question: If it is due to a corrupt localstore, why would it delete
    > the added toolbar items, then once replaced, it continues to work for
    > several days before recurrence? Logic is telling me that if the file
    > is corrupt, it should remain so and every time FF is opened the
    > additions should be gone. What am I missing in that train of thought?

    The *.rdf files are text that uses a different Markup language than
    HTML. They are readable in Wordpad if you append .txt as an extension.
    From my experience they seem to be a jumble of entries. The blocks of
    data are understandable but related blocks can be scattered within the
    file. What they are supposed to do is point to the resources such as
    theme or extension files. They also provide ordinal information for
    where resources should display in the chrome. I do not know if
    corruption starts as a read or a write error, but the result is
    resources are not properly being used. One of the goals for Tb3 is to
    migrate to a different means of storage of resource data.

    --
    Ron K.

  15. Re: Losing icons on Menu bar

    * Ron K. wrote, On 4/21/2008 12:35:
    > Miles keyboarded, On 4/21/2008 2:52 PM :
    > One of the goals for Tb3 is to
    > migrate to a different means of storage of resource data.

    I'm looking forward to that -- as well as Windows dumping the Registry
    and a better way to handle dll's (believe dll's handling was modified in
    Vista, but don't know for certain.)

+ Reply to Thread