Flash / firefox incompatibility - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Flash / firefox incompatibility - Mozilla ; When using Adobe Macromedia Flash Player 9,0,115,0 in conjunction with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12, the player will randomly choose not to play beyond the first two seconds of a clip, even though it continues to load the full clip. During the ...

  1. Flash / firefox incompatibility

    When using Adobe Macromedia Flash Player 9,0,115,0 in conjunction with
    Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12, the player will randomly choose not to play beyond
    the first two seconds of a clip, even though it continues to load the full
    clip. During the first two seconds that do get played, the player fails to
    play any sound. The only way to return to normal performance is by
    restarting the computer. However, this solution is temporary and
    inconvenient, and the bug will inevitably re-emerge at a later stage.

    Would you please be so kind as to provide a software update that fixes this
    problem?

    Thank you,
    Kirsten

  2. Re: Flash / firefox incompatibility

    kirsten cameron wrote:
    > When using Adobe Macromedia Flash Player 9,0,115,0 in conjunction with
    > Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12, the player will randomly choose not to play beyond
    > the first two seconds of a clip, even though it continues to load the full
    > clip. During the first two seconds that do get played, the player fails to
    > play any sound. The only way to return to normal performance is by
    > restarting the computer. However, this solution is temporary and
    > inconvenient, and the bug will inevitably re-emerge at a later stage.
    >
    > Would you please be so kind as to provide a software update that fixes this
    > problem?

    I also see this happening but in my case, it seems to be related to have
    multiple tabs loaded. Once I exit/restart Fx and just open the page with
    the Flash video, it play okay. It's not always the case, though.

    --
    Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/

  3. Re: Flash / firefox incompatibility

    On Apr 11, 10:07 am, "kirsten cameron" wrote:
    > When using Adobe MacromediaFlashPlayer 9,0,115,0 in conjunction with
    > Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12, the player will randomly choose not to play beyond
    > the first two seconds of a clip, even though it continues to load the full
    > clip. During the first two seconds that do get played, the player fails to
    > play anysound. The only way to return to normal performance is by
    > restarting the computer. However, this solution is temporary and
    > inconvenient, and the bug will inevitably re-emerge at a later stage.
    >
    > Would you please be so kind as to provide a software update that fixes this
    > problem?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Kirsten

    I am facing the same problem also. FF vr 2.0.0.13 Flash ver Shockwave
    Flash 9.0 r124 and youtube and other animations no sound at all. At
    all.

    Any help anyone? Thanks.

  4. Re: Flash / firefox incompatibility

    On 16.04.2008 14:34, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused eXPeri3nc3 to
    generate the following:? :
    > On Apr 11, 10:07 am, "kirsten cameron" wrote:
    >
    >> When using Adobe MacromediaFlashPlayer 9,0,115,0 in conjunction with
    >> Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12, the player will randomly choose not to play beyond
    >> the first two seconds of a clip, even though it continues to load the full
    >> clip. During the first two seconds that do get played, the player fails to
    >> play anysound. The only way to return to normal performance is by
    >> restarting the computer. However, this solution is temporary and
    >> inconvenient, and the bug will inevitably re-emerge at a later stage.
    >>
    >> Would you please be so kind as to provide a software update that fixes this
    >> problem?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Kirsten
    >>

    > I am facing the same problem also. FF vr 2.0.0.13 Flash ver Shockwave
    > Flash 9.0 r124 and youtube and other animations no sound at all. At
    > all.
    >
    > Any help anyone? Thanks.

    IF you are sure that they are Shockwave files, then make sure that
    Quicktime hasn't grabbed the file-association. This happened every time
    with earlier versions but it seems to have gotten better.
    Just something to look at!

    reg

  5. Re: Flash / firefox incompatibility

    On Apr 16, 8:34 pm, eXPeri3nc3 wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 10:07 am, "kirsten cameron" wrote:
    >
    > > When using Adobe MacromediaFlashPlayer 9,0,115,0 in conjunction with
    > > Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12, the player will randomly choose not to play beyond
    > > the first two seconds of a clip, even though it continues to load the full
    > > clip. During the first two seconds that do get played, the player fails to
    > > play anysound. The only way to return to normal performance is by
    > > restarting the computer. However, this solution is temporary and
    > > inconvenient, and the bug will inevitably re-emerge at a later stage.

    > > Would you please be so kind as to provide a software update that fixes this
    > > problem?

    > > Thank you,
    > > Kirsten

    > I am facing the same problem also. FF vr 2.0.0.13Flashver ShockwaveFlash9.0 r124 and youtube and other animationsnosoundat all. At
    > all.
    >
    > Any help anyone? Thanks.

    BTW, with the latest FF update (2.0.0.14) and latest flash update,
    everything's fine now.

  6. Re: Flash / firefox incompatibility

    > BTW, with the latest FF update (2.0.0.14) and latest flash update,
    > everything's fine now.

    That's what I have and it's still broken.

    Why is it considered so cool among software developers to have bugs to
    this degree in their product and they do absolutely nothing to fix or
    even address the bug?

    Fix it already. I switched from Microsoft to Firefox because of
    Microsoft's history of creating unstable and poorly designed
    software. With this problem being tolerated for such a long time
    Firefox is no better than Microsoft.

  7. Re: Flash / firefox incompatibility

    scs0 wrote:
    >> BTW, with the latest FF update (2.0.0.14) and latest flash update,
    >> everything's fine now.

    > That's what I have and it's still broken.
    >
    > Why is it considered so cool among software developers to have bugs to
    > this degree in their product and they do absolutely nothing to fix or
    > even address the bug?
    >
    > Fix it already. I switched from Microsoft to Firefox because of
    > Microsoft's history of creating unstable and poorly designed
    > software. With this problem being tolerated for such a long time
    > Firefox is no better than Microsoft.

    In that thinking, you are certainly wrong. There are many ways in which
    Firefox is better than ANY version of IE, but if you mean that neither
    is perfect, and both are subject to having problems, that is correct.
    Nothing in this world is perfect, and if you think YOU can do better,
    then you are welcome to join the developers in their efforts.
    Complaining that Firefox 'won't play YouTube videos' when many of us
    seem to be able to play them just find leads me to believe you need to
    look at YOUR setup, and stop trying to blame Firefox, itself. No one
    can possibly test every configuration of extensions, and plugins, on
    every physical device configuration, or software option configuration.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  8. Re: Flash / firefox incompatibility

    You are not alone!! I have the same problem. The flash plug-in does
    not work with the latest Firefox (2.0.0.14). However I suspect it may
    be because in some cases the video may require Active-X which Fiorefox
    of course does not allow.

    Jeff

    "scs0" wrote in message
    >> BTW, with the latest FF update (2.0.0.14) and latest flash update,
    >> everything's fine now.

    > That's what I have and it's still broken.
    >
    > Why is it considered so cool among software developers to have bugs to
    > this degree in their product and they do absolutely nothing to fix or
    > even address the bug?
    >
    > Fix it already. I switched from Microsoft to Firefox because of
    > Microsoft's history of creating unstable and poorly designed
    > software. With this problem being tolerated for such a long time
    > Firefox is no better than Microsoft.

  9. Re: Flash / firefox incompatibility

    On Apr 25, 12:17*am, scs0 wrote:
    > > BTW, with the latest FF update (2.0.0.14) and latest flash update,
    > > everything's fine now.

    > That's what I have and it's still broken.
    >
    > Why is it considered so cool among software developers to have bugs to
    > this degree in their product and they do absolutely nothing to fix or
    > even address the bug?
    >
    > Fix it already. *I switched from Microsoft to Firefox because of
    > Microsoft's history of creating unstable and poorly designed
    > software. *With this problem being tolerated for such a long time
    > Firefox is no better than Microsoft.

    Same setup, same problem. Problem still exists. See here:
    -http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?thread=9634
    -http://www.yoism.org/?q=node/152#flash

    all rather bad workarounds, still no real solution.. :-(

  10. Re: Flash / firefox incompatibility

    wimb53@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 25, 12:17 am, scs0 wrote:
    >>> BTW, with the latest FF update (2.0.0.14) and latest flash update,
    >>> everything's fine now.

    >> That's what I have and it's still broken.
    >>
    >> Why is it considered so cool among software developers to have bugs to
    >> this degree in their product and they do absolutely nothing to fix or
    >> even address the bug?
    >>
    >> Fix it already. I switched from Microsoft to Firefox because of
    >> Microsoft's history of creating unstable and poorly designed
    >> software. With this problem being tolerated for such a long time
    >> Firefox is no better than Microsoft.

    > Same setup, same problem. Problem still exists. See here:
    > -http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?thread=9634
    > -http://www.yoism.org/?q=node/152#flash
    >
    > all rather bad workarounds, still no real solution.. :-(

    I can confirm it happens to me (unpredictably) at times. I haven't seen
    it recently but I started turning off my machine each night where before
    I had been allowing it to go into standby state. It appears to be
    related to a system memory resource issue but, like I said, I'm not able
    to pin-point it any further as yet.

    gl

    --
    Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion