other features beyond the %s variable in keyword bookmarks - Mozilla

This is a discussion on other features beyond the %s variable in keyword bookmarks - Mozilla ; I've very recently discovered the immensely useful %s argument that allows one to have custom-keyword-bookmarks which exploit the structure of hyperlinks and open a specific search etc. I'm just wondering whether there is life beyond a simple %s operator? I ...

  1. other features beyond the %s variable in keyword bookmarks

    I've very recently discovered the immensely useful %s argument that
    allows one to have custom-keyword-bookmarks which exploit the structure
    of hyperlinks and open a specific search etc.

    I'm just wondering whether there is life beyond a simple %s operator? I
    didn't find it documented anywhere but do people have other cool tricks
    up their sleeves? (Regexes conditionals etc.)

    One place I'm stumped at, for example, is this: The metro service here has
    links of the form:

    http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/S...ute%202/2.html

    Except (for some strange reason) four "special" routes that have this
    form:

    http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/S...WeekdayStandar
    d.html

    "route 2" etc. works great but I was thinking if I was missing some
    feature that'd allow me to hack this further to treat exceptions etc...

    Nothing life-changing ; only my curiosity and a search for a project on
    a slow evening!

    --
    Rahul

  2. Re: other features beyond the %s variable in keyword bookmarks

    "Rahul" ...
    > I've very recently discovered the immensely useful %s argument that
    > allows one to have custom-keyword-bookmarks which exploit the structure
    > of hyperlinks and open a specific search etc.

    Hi Rahul,
    There is a little more like there is a difference between %s and %S
    and the fact that the use of % in front of two hex digits is that
    character so %20 is a space as in "route%202" for "route 2"
    as you pointed to. Hex digits only go up to F so there is no
    confusion by using a "s" or an "S".

    Anyway for more information see my pages
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...umentation.htm

    and be sure to install the "OpenBook" extension and see my page
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/bookmarks.htm

    --
    HTH,

  3. Re: other features beyond the %s variable in keyword bookmarks

    "David McRitchie" wrote in news:nZadnWKfi-
    tgxmDanZ2dnUVZ_uTinZ2d@mozilla.org:

    > Anyway for more information see my pages
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...umentation.htm
    >
    > and be sure to install the "OpenBook" extension and see my page
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/bookmarks.htm

    Absolutely amazing set of links there!

    Thanks David!

    --