goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3 - Mozilla ; had just installed 3b5. Found that none of the extensions is working though it later found the updates for three extensions which started working. But with essential ones for me like greasemonkey and cookieswap not working, i am stuck. hence ...

  1. goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    had just installed 3b5. Found that none of the extensions is working
    though it later found the updates for three extensions which started
    working.

    But with essential ones for me like greasemonkey and cookieswap not
    working, i am stuck.

    hence uninstalled 3b5 and back to 3b3. I would have happily gone back to
    2.x but I have learned that 3b has changed several things which can
    not be taken back to 2.x and I had been using 3b1 and then 3b3 for a while.

    BTW, my ff 2.x had something called probably nightly tester which allows
    some extensions to work in newer version if they can work. I don't know
    how that got missing in ff3b range without me making any change.

    --
    Extensions have become so useful that a basic ff without our fav
    extensions is a pain to use, rather impossible to use. Hence, I would

    I have promised myself not to use any beta version of ff/ mozilla group
    of software and that is what I recommend to all of you, especially to
    not-geeks among us.

    is there any method I can go back from 3b3 to 2.x latest final release?
    (I mean getting my settings from 3b3 to 2.x)

    thanks.
    --
    Rawat

  2. Re: goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    "V S Rawat" wrote in message
    news:hPKdna7xTo5662HanZ2dnUVZ_tSknZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > had just installed 3b5. Found that none of the extensions is working
    > though it later found the updates for three extensions which started
    > working.
    >
    > But with essential ones for me like greasemonkey and cookieswap not
    > working, i am stuck.
    >
    > hence uninstalled 3b5 and back to 3b3. I would have happily gone back to
    > 2.x but I have learned that 3b has changed several things which can not be
    > taken back to 2.x and I had been using 3b1 and then 3b3 for a while.
    >
    > BTW, my ff 2.x had something called probably nightly tester which allows
    > some extensions to work in newer version if they can work. I don't know
    > how that got missing in ff3b range without me making any change.
    >
    > --
    > Extensions have become so useful that a basic ff without our fav
    > extensions is a pain to use, rather impossible to use. Hence, I would say
    > that developers should make some method of ensuring that whatever
    > extensions can work, should work in newer versions. For this, that nightly
    > tester thinggy should be automatically installed and switched on in a
    > newer version, whether beta or Release Candidate or final release.
    >
    > I have promised myself not to use any beta version of ff/ mozilla group of
    > software and that is what I recommend to all of you, especially to
    > not-geeks among us.
    >
    > is there any method I can go back from 3b3 to 2.x latest final release? (I
    > mean getting my settings from 3b3 to 2.x)
    >
    > thanks.
    > --
    > Rawat

    Before rolling back, first try typing about:config in your urlbar and hit
    enter. In the list look for extensions.checkCompatibility and toggle the
    value to false and restart FF. See if that helps.

  3. Re: goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    On 4/9/2008 1:57 PM India Time, _Sonny_ wrote:

    > "V S Rawat" wrote in message
    > news:hPKdna7xTo5662HanZ2dnUVZ_tSknZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> had just installed 3b5. Found that none of the extensions is working
    >> though it later found the updates for three extensions which started
    >> working.
    >>
    >> But with essential ones for me like greasemonkey and cookieswap not
    >> working, i am stuck.
    >>
    >> hence uninstalled 3b5 and back to 3b3. I would have happily gone back to
    >> 2.x but I have learned that 3b has changed several things which can not be
    >> taken back to 2.x and I had been using 3b1 and then 3b3 for a while.
    >>
    >> BTW, my ff 2.x had something called probably nightly tester which allows
    >> some extensions to work in newer version if they can work. I don't know
    >> how that got missing in ff3b range without me making any change.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Extensions have become so useful that a basic ff without our fav
    >> extensions is a pain to use, rather impossible to use. Hence, I would say
    >> that developers should make some method of ensuring that whatever
    >> extensions can work, should work in newer versions. For this, that nightly
    >> tester thinggy should be automatically installed and switched on in a
    >> newer version, whether beta or Release Candidate or final release.
    >>
    >> I have promised myself not to use any beta version of ff/ mozilla group of
    >> software and that is what I recommend to all of you, especially to
    >> not-geeks among us.
    >>
    >> is there any method I can go back from 3b3 to 2.x latest final release? (I
    >> mean getting my settings from 3b3 to 2.x)
    >>
    >> thanks.
    >> --
    >> Rawat

    > Before rolling back, first try typing about:config in your urlbar and hit
    > enter. In the list look for extensions.checkCompatibility and toggle the
    > value to false and restart FF. See if that helps.

    extensions.checkCompatibility was not defined so I defined it and set to
    string, false. restarted.

    No change. It is still not switching on my extensions, even after
    finding updates.

    BTW, before that, it was giving that finding updates windows on starting
    ff, but that didn't appear on this restart.
    --

    I installed nightly tester tools 1.3 and restarted. No use. Extensions
    are still off, though it is showing "make all compatible" button in

    Previously, I remember it used to show a warning on the top of add on
    windows about compatibility. I don't know who took away that warning.

    thanks.
    --
    Rawat

  4. Re: goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    "Sonny"
    > "V S Rawat" wrote in message
    >> hence uninstalled 3b5 and back to 3b3. I would have happily gone back to
    >> 2.x but I have learned that 3b has changed several things which can not be
    >> taken back to 2.x and I had been using 3b1 and then 3b3 for a while.
    >>
    >> I have promised myself not to use any beta version of ff/ mozilla group of
    >> software and that is what I recommend to all of you, especially to
    >> not-geeks among us.
    >>
    >> is there any method I can go back from 3b3 to 2.x latest final release? (I
    >> mean getting my settings from 3b3 to 2.x)

    > Before rolling back, first try typing about:config in your urlbar and hit
    > enter. In the list look for extensions.checkCompatibility and toggle the
    > value to false and restart FF. See if that helps.

    Hi Rawat,
    When using a Beta vesion, you should always use a separate profile.

    Turning off compatibility testing as in Sonny's reply makes GreaseMonkey
    work, I not sure if Platypus was working -- used to create GM scripts.

    Nightly Tester tools, is updated so frequently that it would work
    whether you had compatiblity testing on or off. I turn of compatibility
    testing in about:config, but Nightly Testing tools provides information
    in the Window's Title Bar (just wish is were show in profile,
    and Safe mode dialogs as well._ You should install from
    the author's page is at
    http://www.oxymoronical.com/web/firefox/nightly

    You removed the compatibility yellow banner at the top
    when you inadvertently clicked on it. It's really not clearly
    worded, because it is not the extensions that would get
    enabled, but the compatibility testing -- do not press
    "Enable" because it will do the opposite of what you want.

    More on compatibility testing at
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...#compatibility

    I am using both 2.0.0.13 and Minefield (Fx3, changes nightly)
    and often at the same time. Firefox 3 had major changes to
    bookmarks and removed an important preference option, so that
    really hampered me until the "OpenBook" extension was updated.
    extension was updated.

    Beta's are not for production. If you've been using it this long
    there is not much point of going back to version 2 at this point
    as Firefox 3 Betas are getting more stable and we will be going
    to it soon (whenever soon is). The biggest problems at the
    moment are all of the changes to documentation, policies and
    the Help file.

    --
    HTH,

  5. Re: goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:26:36 +0530
    V S Rawat wrote:

    > Extensions have become so useful that a basic ff without our fav
    > extensions is a pain to use, rather impossible to use. Hence, I would
    > say that developers should make some method of ensuring that whatever
    > extensions can work, should work in newer versions.

    People who rely on extensions should use a finalized version of Firefox
    for browsing, and use a different profile if they also want to test
    prerelease versions.

    > For this, that nightly tester thinggy should be automatically
    > installed and switched on in a newer version, whether beta or
    > Release Candidate or final release.

    There's no chance of that happening; it would cause a lot of breakage.

    > I have promised myself not to use any beta version of ff/ mozilla
    > group of software and that is what I recommend to all of you,
    > especially to not-geeks among us.

    Mozilla also recommends against just casually installing prerelease
    versions, in every announcement made about them. From beta 5's release
    notes:

    Firefox 3 Beta 5 is a developer preview release of Mozilla's next
    generation Firefox browser and is being made available for testing
    purposes only.

    These beta releases are targeted to Web developers and our testing
    community to gain feedback before advancing to the next stage in the
    release process. The final version of Firefox 3 will be released when
    we qualify the product as fully ready for our users.

  6. Re: goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    On 09.04.2008 18:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Q to
    generate the following:? :
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:26:36 +0530
    > V S Rawat wrote:
    >

    >> Extensions have become so useful that a basic ff without our fav
    >> extensions is a pain to use, rather impossible to use. Hence, I would
    >> say that developers should make some method of ensuring that whatever
    >> extensions can work, should work in newer versions.
    >>

    > People who rely on extensions should use a finalized version of Firefox
    > for browsing, and use a different profile if they also want to test
    > prerelease versions.
    >

    >> For this, that nightly tester thinggy should be automatically
    >> installed and switched on in a newer version, whether beta or
    >> Release Candidate or final release.
    >>

    > There's no chance of that happening; it would cause a lot of breakage.
    >

    >> I have promised myself not to use any beta version of ff/ mozilla
    >> group of software and that is what I recommend to all of you,
    >> especially to not-geeks among us.
    >>

    > Mozilla also recommends against just casually installing prerelease
    > versions, in every announcement made about them. From beta 5's release
    > notes:
    >
    > Firefox 3 Beta 5 is a developer preview release of Mozilla's next
    > generation Firefox browser and is being made available for testing
    > purposes only.
    >
    > These beta releases are targeted to Web developers and our testing
    > community to gain feedback before advancing to the next stage in the
    > release process. The final version of Firefox 3 will be released when
    > we qualify the product as fully ready for our users.

    Oh, "Q" - don't you read ChrisI's posts?? He emphatically states that
    posts about Beta-Versions actually belong *here*..... despite the
    Moz-requests to post findings (from TESTERS) to the specific dev-foren!

    reg

  7. Re: goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    squaredancer wrote:

    > On 09.04.2008 18:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Q to
    > generate the following:? :
    > > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:26:36 +0530
    > > V S Rawat wrote:
    > >

    > >> Extensions have become so useful that a basic ff without our fav
    > >> extensions is a pain to use, rather impossible to use. Hence, I
    > >> would say that developers should make some method of ensuring that
    > >> whatever extensions can work, should work in newer versions.
    > >>

    > > People who rely on extensions should use a finalized version of
    > > Firefox for browsing, and use a different profile if they also want
    > > to test prerelease versions.
    > >

    > >> For this, that nightly tester thinggy should be automatically
    > >> installed and switched on in a newer version, whether beta or
    > >> Release Candidate or final release.
    > >>

    > > There's no chance of that happening; it would cause a lot of
    > > breakage.
    > >

    > >> I have promised myself not to use any beta version of ff/ mozilla
    > >> group of software and that is what I recommend to all of you,
    > >> especially to not-geeks among us.
    > >>

    > > Mozilla also recommends against just casually installing prerelease
    > > versions, in every announcement made about them. From beta 5's
    > > release notes:
    > >
    > > Firefox 3 Beta 5 is a developer preview release of Mozilla's next
    > > generation Firefox browser and is being made available for testing
    > > purposes only.
    > >
    > > These beta releases are targeted to Web developers and our testing
    > > community to gain feedback before advancing to the next stage in
    > > the release process. The final version of Firefox 3 will be
    > > released when we qualify the product as fully ready for our users.

    > Oh, "Q" - don't you read ChrisI's posts?? He emphatically states
    > that posts about Beta-Versions actually belong *here*..... despite
    > the Moz-requests to post findings (from TESTERS) to the specific
    > dev-foren!

    Chris has correctly said that /support/ posts about betas belong here,
    though I'm sure you're following discussion on setting up a group
    specifically for peer support for prereleases. Findings of test
    results should certainly go in the appropriate dev group.

  8. Re: goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    On 4/9/2008 V S Rawat said
    > extensions.checkCompatibility was not defined so I defined it and set to string, false.

    That should have been "boolean".
    --
    Irwin

  9. Re: goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    On 4/10/2008 2:14 AM India Time, _Irwin Greenwald_ wrote:

    > On 4/9/2008 V S Rawat said
    >> extensions.checkCompatibility was not defined so I defined it and set to string, false.

    > That should have been "boolean".

    oops! yeah, it is indeed boolean.

    thanks.
    --
    Rawat

  10. Re: goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    Q wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:26:36 +0530
    > V S Rawat wrote:
    >
    >> Extensions have become so useful that a basic ff without our fav
    >> extensions is a pain to use, rather impossible to use. Hence, I would
    >> say that developers should make some method of ensuring that whatever
    >> extensions can work, should work in newer versions.

    > People who rely on extensions should use a finalized version of Firefox
    > for browsing, and use a different profile if they also want to test
    > prerelease versions.
    >
    >> For this, that nightly tester thinggy should be automatically
    >> installed and switched on in a newer version, whether beta or
    >> Release Candidate or final release.

    > There's no chance of that happening; it would cause a lot of breakage.
    >
    >> I have promised myself not to use any beta version of ff/ mozilla
    >> group of software and that is what I recommend to all of you,
    >> especially to not-geeks among us.

    > Mozilla also recommends against just casually installing prerelease
    > versions, in every announcement made about them. From beta 5's release
    > notes:
    >
    > Firefox 3 Beta 5 is a developer preview release of Mozilla's next
    > generation Firefox browser and is being made available for testing
    > purposes only.
    >
    > These beta releases are targeted to Web developers and our testing
    > community to gain feedback before advancing to the next stage in the
    > release process. The final version of Firefox 3 will be released when
    > we qualify the product as fully ready for our users.

    I have been using FF3b5, and forced all my extensions to work, but the
    release was very unstable with the extensions active, so I have disabled
    all but the ones that have been updated for it, and ABP. Can't live
    with the ads, even for testing. It seems much more stable, but tends to
    harass me about those extensions on startups from a link, and sometimes
    hangs on startup. I suspect it would be pretty stable if I uninstalled
    all the extensions but those updated for that beta.
    I am looking forward to a release version as FF3 has many features I
    like, a lot!

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  11. Re: goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    On 4/9/2008 8:23 PM India Time, _David McRitchie_ wrote:

    > "Sonny"
    >> "V S Rawat" wrote in message
    >>> hence uninstalled 3b5 and back to 3b3. I would have happily gone back to
    >>> 2.x but I have learned that 3b has changed several things which can not be
    >>> taken back to 2.x and I had been using 3b1 and then 3b3 for a while.
    >>>
    >>> I have promised myself not to use any beta version of ff/ mozilla group of
    >>> software and that is what I recommend to all of you, especially to
    >>> not-geeks among us.
    >>>
    >>> is there any method I can go back from 3b3 to 2.x latest final release? (I
    >>> mean getting my settings from 3b3 to 2.x)

    >> Before rolling back, first try typing about:config in your urlbar and hit
    >> enter. In the list look for extensions.checkCompatibility and toggle the
    >> value to false and restart FF. See if that helps.

    > Hi Rawat,
    > When using a Beta vesion, you should always use a separate profile.

    That would be learning new thing. Even if I am semi-geek, there are
    things that still scare me. maybe, such type of experience will provoke
    me enough to learn it.

    > Turning off compatibility testing as in Sonny's reply makes GreaseMonkey
    > work, I not sure if Platypus was working -- used to create GM scripts.
    >
    > Nightly Tester tools, is updated so frequently that it would work
    > whether you had compatiblity testing on or off. I turn of compatibility
    > testing in about:config, but Nightly Testing tools provides information
    > in the Window's Title Bar (just wish is were show in profile,
    > and Safe mode dialogs as well._ You should install from
    > the author's page is at
    > http://www.oxymoronical.com/web/firefox/nightly

    yeah, installed it. Still, I don't think it changed anything. Nothing is
    working if 3b5 and everything is working in 3b3.

    > You removed the compatibility yellow banner at the top
    > when you inadvertently clicked on it. It's really not clearly
    > worded, because it is not the extensions that would get
    > enabled, but the compatibility testing -- do not press
    > "Enable" because it will do the opposite of what you want.

    That is what I was complaining about.

    I never clicked on the x, knowingly or inadvertently. I knew its
    importance, having learnt it the hard way. After getting guidance in
    this group, I had switched it on myself in ff2.x It is only in some beta
    that it was automatically gone.

    > More on compatibility testing at
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...#compatibility
    >
    > I am using both 2.0.0.13 and Minefield (Fx3, changes nightly)
    > and often at the same time. Firefox 3 had major changes to
    > bookmarks and removed an important preference option, so that
    > really hampered me until the "OpenBook" extension was updated.
    > extension was updated.
    >
    > Beta's are not for production. If you've been using it this long
    > there is not much point of going back to version 2 at this point
    > as Firefox 3 Betas are getting more stable and we will be going
    > to it soon (whenever soon is). The biggest problems at the
    > moment are all of the changes to documentation, policies and
    > the Help file.

    thanks for everything.

    I still say that when the developers know that several addons don't
    update in time with release of beta or even the final release, they
    should look into what can be done to counter that problem. So, it would
    be great help if they give option during installed to switch the
    compatibility check off and explain what its turning on/ off might
    result in.

    Anyway, this all brought to my notice that I couldn't work in 3b5 for
    even 5 mins when greasemonkey and ****ieswap didn't work. That impressed
    upon me the value of these and other add ons. Thanks to the developers.

    --
    Rawat

  12. Re: goodbye 3b5. extensions not working hence back to 3b3

    On 4/9/2008 10:00 PM India Time, _Q_ wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:26:36 +0530
    > V S Rawat wrote:
    >
    >> Extensions have become so useful that a basic ff without our fav
    >> extensions is a pain to use, rather impossible to use. Hence, I would
    >> say that developers should make some method of ensuring that whatever
    >> extensions can work, should work in newer versions.

    > People who rely on extensions should use a finalized version of Firefox
    > for browsing, and use a different profile if they also want to test
    > prerelease versions.

    Then they should tell me the above beforehand. They should even give a
    message of that during installation and seek my consent otherwise, abort
    installation.

    >> For this, that nightly tester thinggy should be automatically
    >> installed and switched on in a newer version, whether beta or
    >> Release Candidate or final release.

    > There's no chance of that happening; it would cause a lot of breakage.

    Of course. There will be problems with a change. That was just a quick
    thought. It was for developers to find a way out.

    >> I have promised myself not to use any beta version of ff/ mozilla
    >> group of software and that is what I recommend to all of you,
    >> especially to not-geeks among us.

    > Mozilla also recommends against just casually installing prerelease
    > versions, in every announcement made about them. From beta 5's release
    > notes:
    >
    > Firefox 3 Beta 5 is a developer preview release of Mozilla's next
    > generation Firefox browser and is being made available for testing
    > purposes only.
    >
    > These beta releases are targeted to Web developers and our testing
    > community to gain feedback before advancing to the next stage in the
    > release process. The final version of Firefox 3 will be released when
    > we qualify the product as fully ready for our users.

    :-) Oh, do people read that? he he he.

    Anyway. For alpha and other earlier versions, I understand the
    complications and never go for them. Yet there are many softwares which
    remain in beta or RC version for years and work well. I think orkut
    itself is still in beta. Pidgin messenger remained a RC for a longtime
    and all worked well. yahoo's mail remains in beta. Of course, there must
    have been bugs, and I wanted to help in finding and reporting the bugs,
    though I am a general user and not a web developer in any sense.

    I would say, instead of washing their hands of by just adding a
    sentence, developer should find what problems users are having with test
    version and try to make it convenient for more people to use/ test them.

    --
    Rawat

+ Reply to Thread