FF: strange site rendering - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF: strange site rendering - Mozilla ; I hope someone can figure this one out. This is a link to one of my sites ( http://pages.suddenlink.net/fox38/index.htm ) that does not render correctly on my iMac OS 10.5.2 in Firefox. The embedded YouTube windows at the top of ...

  1. FF: strange site rendering

    I hope someone can figure this one out. This is a link to one of my
    sites (http://pages.suddenlink.net/fox38/index.htm) that does not render
    correctly on my iMac OS 10.5.2 in Firefox. The embedded YouTube windows
    at the top of the page mostly disappear when the reach the top of the
    window. In other words, they do not appear correctly until I scroll
    down the page. I tried this in Safari and it was OK there; the problem
    does not replicate. Seems unique to this site. Maybe there's something
    wrong with the coding? Or something else. Anyway, thanks in advance to
    anyone who gives it a try and has a suggestion.
    --

    *Steve*
    Browse My Books

  2. Re: FF: strange site rendering

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > I hope someone can figure this one out. This is a link to one of my
    > sites (http://pages.suddenlink.net/fox38/index.htm) that does not
    > render correctly on my iMac OS 10.5.2 in Firefox. The embedded
    > YouTube windows at the top of the page mostly disappear when the reach
    > the top of the window. In other words, they do not appear correctly
    > until I scroll down the page. I tried this in Safari and it was OK
    > there; the problem does not replicate. Seems unique to this site.
    > Maybe there's something wrong with the coding? Or something else.
    > Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who gives it a try and has a
    > suggestion.

    I tried the site in FF Safe Mode and the problem disappears. But I
    don't know how to figure out which extension or theme is the culprit.
    In Safe Mode they are all disabled, but I don't see an enable button.
    If I get that figured out, do I have to restart Safe Mode each time?
    And doing that will disable them again, right?

    Need some help here. Thanks.

    --

    *Steve*
    Browse My Books
    Genealogy, News & Information
    My Cycling Journals

  3. Re: FF: strange site rendering

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> I hope someone can figure this one out. This is a link to one of my
    >> sites (http://pages.suddenlink.net/fox38/index.htm) that does not
    >> render correctly on my iMac OS 10.5.2 in Firefox. The embedded
    >> YouTube windows at the top of the page mostly disappear when the reach
    >> the top of the window. In other words, they do not appear correctly
    >> until I scroll down the page. I tried this in Safari and it was OK
    >> there; the problem does not replicate. Seems unique to this site.
    >> Maybe there's something wrong with the coding? Or something else.
    >> Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who gives it a try and has a
    >> suggestion.

    > I tried the site in FF Safe Mode and the problem disappears. But I
    > don't know how to figure out which extension or theme is the culprit.
    > In Safe Mode they are all disabled, but I don't see an enable button.
    > If I get that figured out, do I have to restart Safe Mode each time?
    > And doing that will disable them again, right?
    >
    > Need some help here. Thanks.

    You'll probably just have to disable them one at a time until you find
    the culprit, starting with the most likely suspects, such as ad- and
    script-blockers.

  4. Re: FF: strange site rendering

    On 4/9/2008 12:24 PM, Tarkus wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>> I hope someone can figure this one out. This is a link to one of my
    >>> sites (http://pages.suddenlink.net/fox38/index.htm) that does not
    >>> render correctly on my iMac OS 10.5.2 in Firefox. The embedded
    >>> YouTube windows at the top of the page mostly disappear when the
    >>> reach the top of the window. In other words, they do not appear
    >>> correctly until I scroll down the page. I tried this in Safari and
    >>> it was OK there; the problem does not replicate. Seems unique to
    >>> this site. Maybe there's something wrong with the coding? Or
    >>> something else. Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who gives it a
    >>> try and has a suggestion.

    >> I tried the site in FF Safe Mode and the problem disappears. But I
    >> don't know how to figure out which extension or theme is the culprit.
    >> In Safe Mode they are all disabled, but I don't see an enable button.
    >> If I get that figured out, do I have to restart Safe Mode each time?
    >> And doing that will disable them again, right?
    >>
    >> Need some help here. Thanks.

    > You'll probably just have to disable them one at a time until you find
    > the culprit, starting with the most likely suspects, such as ad- and
    > script-blockers.

    If you have a lot of extensions, disable half of them and restart
    Firefox. If the problem goes away, the problem is in that half. If it
    doesn't it's in the other half. You can them repeat the procedure with
    the problem half of the extensions to narrow down the problem further.
    Eventually, you will only have a few to disable one at a time.
    Dave Pyles

  5. Re: FF: strange site rendering

    David Pyles wrote:
    > On 4/9/2008 12:24 PM, Tarkus wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>> I tried the site in FF Safe Mode and the problem disappears. But I
    >>> don't know how to figure out which extension or theme is the
    >>> culprit. In Safe Mode they are all disabled, but I don't see an
    >>> enable button. If I get that figured out, do I have to restart Safe
    >>> Mode each time? And doing that will disable them again, right?
    >>>
    >>> Need some help here. Thanks.

    >> You'll probably just have to disable them one at a time until you
    >> find the culprit, starting with the most likely suspects, such as ad-
    >> and script-blockers.

    > If you have a lot of extensions, disable half of them and restart
    > Firefox. If the problem goes away, the problem is in that half. If
    > it doesn't it's in the other half. You can them repeat the procedure
    > with the problem half of the extensions to narrow down the problem
    > further. Eventually, you will only have a few to disable one at a time.
    > Dave Pyles

    Dave,

    OK, the culprit apears to be AdBlock Plus. There are pref settings, but
    I have no clue which to disable. I seem to remember that there is
    another AdBlock extension. Is that right? Know which one? Maybe I
    should try that.

    --

    *Steve*
    Browse My Books
    Genealogy, News & Information
    My Cycling Journals

  6. Re: FF: strange site rendering

    David Pyles wrote:
    > On 4/9/2008 12:24 PM, Tarkus wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>> I tried the site in FF Safe Mode and the problem disappears. But I
    >>> don't know how to figure out which extension or theme is the
    >>> culprit. In Safe Mode they are all disabled, but I don't see an
    >>> enable button. If I get that figured out, do I have to restart Safe
    >>> Mode each time? And doing that will disable them again, right?
    >>>
    >>> Need some help here. Thanks.

    >> You'll probably just have to disable them one at a time until you
    >> find the culprit, starting with the most likely suspects, such as ad-
    >> and script-blockers.

    > If you have a lot of extensions, disable half of them and restart
    > Firefox. If the problem goes away, the problem is in that half. If
    > it doesn't it's in the other half. You can them repeat the procedure
    > with the problem half of the extensions to narrow down the problem
    > further. Eventually, you will only have a few to disable one at a time.
    > Dave Pyles

    I installed AdBlock. Problem does not repeat. Guess I was trying to be
    too fancy with "Plus." :-)

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    --

    *Steve*
    Browse My Books
    Genealogy, News & Information
    My Cycling Journals

  7. Re: FF: strange site rendering

    On 4/9/2008 6:47 PM, Stephen Fox wrote:
    > David Pyles wrote:

    >>> You'll probably just have to disable them one at a time until you
    >>> find the culprit, starting with the most likely suspects, such as ad-
    >>> and script-blockers.

    >> If you have a lot of extensions, disable half of them and restart
    >> Firefox. If the problem goes away, the problem is in that half. If
    >> it doesn't it's in the other half. You can them repeat the procedure
    >> with the problem half of the extensions to narrow down the problem
    >> further. Eventually, you will only have a few to disable one at a time.
    >> Dave Pyles

    > Dave,
    >
    > OK, the culprit apears to be AdBlock Plus. There are pref settings, but
    > I have no clue which to disable. I seem to remember that there is
    > another AdBlock extension. Is that right? Know which one? Maybe I
    > should try that.

    I'm not sure. I don't have either installed. Most of the people on
    this list seem to like AdBlock Plus better. Here's an addon search linl
    that will take you to a page for those addons:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...dblock&cat=all

    Maybe if you post your AdBlock plus settings here of make a screen shot
    of them and upload it somewhere and post a link to it here, someone who
    uses it will tell you how to tweak it.

    Dave Pyles

+ Reply to Thread