Probem with FF reading e-mail off server - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Probem with FF reading e-mail off server - Mozilla ; FF 2.0.0.13 I use FF to retrieve mail from my server, preview it and deal with the messages accordingly, replying as warranted or bringing it into TB for replying and archival storage. One particular message from a friend was almost ...

  1. Probem with FF reading e-mail off server

    FF 2.0.0.13 I use FF to retrieve mail from my server, preview it and deal with the messages accordingly, replying as warranted or bringing it into TB for replying and archival storage.

    One particular message from a friend was almost unreadable in FF, filled with HTML coding. When I clicked on Reply suddenly the message became clear. I brought it into TB and once again the message was filled with HTML coding:
    In the 1400 ' s a law was set forth in England that a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb. Hence we have 'the rule of thumb'

    What could cause FF not to be able to read the message clearly except in the Reply field?

    Thanks...

  2. Re: Probem with FF reading e-mail off server

    Don Nickell keyboarded, On 4/5/2008 8:27 AM :
    > FF 2.0.0.13 I use FF to retrieve mail from my server, preview it and
    > deal with the messages accordingly, replying as warranted or bringing
    > it into TB for replying and archival storage.
    >
    > One particular message from a friend was almost unreadable in FF,
    > filled with HTML coding. When I clicked on Reply suddenly the message
    > became clear. I brought it into TB and once again the message was
    > filled with HTML coding:
    > > Georgia?, ?serif??>In the 1400 ' s a law was set forth in England that
    > a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his
    > thumb. Hence we have 'the rule of thumb' > style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: " Arial?, ?sans-serif??>
    > > ?sans-serif??>
    >
    > What could cause FF not to be able to read the message clearly except
    > in the Reply field?
    >
    > Thanks...

    You seem to have problems with the fonts installed on your system not
    coordinating with what the sender sent. Note the "?" that you cite in
    your quote. Those indicate the cause. I suspect the sender used MS
    Outlook or Outlook Express to generate the mail based on the usage of
    the SPAN tags quoted. The source of the error may reside on the senders
    end where MS has encoded font characters in a way that is not matching
    your fonts EN-US character set.

    --
    Ron K.