URL Annoyance - Mozilla

This is a discussion on URL Annoyance - Mozilla ; Is there any fix or modification to resolve the following issue... I can't re-highlight part of the contents of the url bar without un-highlighting the original selection. In IE or Avant, I can highlight a section of the url bar, ...

  1. URL Annoyance

    Is there any fix or modification to resolve the following issue...

    I can't re-highlight part of the contents of the url bar without
    un-highlighting the original selection. In IE or Avant, I can highlight a
    section of the url bar, then re-highlight any part of the address bar. In
    firefox I'd have to click somewhere to un-highlight the text and then
    re-highlight part of the url if I wanted to edit it in some way.

    Cheers,

    Dave

  2. Re: URL Annoyance

    Dave wrote:
    > Is there any fix or modification to resolve the following issue...
    >
    > I can't re-highlight part of the contents of the url bar without
    > un-highlighting the original selection. In IE or Avant, I can highlight
    > a section of the url bar, then re-highlight any part of the address bar.
    > In firefox I'd have to click somewhere to un-highlight the text and then
    > re-highlight part of the url if I wanted to edit it in some way.

    I can re-hilight in the address bar, but if I begin the 2nd swipe of the
    mouse in an area that's *already* highlighted then Firefox will drag
    that selected area to another location. If I start the 2nd swipe outside
    the highlighted area, the existing selection is undone and a different
    area is selected.

  3. Re: URL Annoyance

    It's a Windows problem. Keep clicking and it will resolve itself.
    Art

    "Beryl" wrote in message
    news:g5WdnbxK65gtLGvanZ2dnUVZ_vqpnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Dave wrote:
    >> Is there any fix or modification to resolve the following issue...
    >>
    >> I can't re-highlight part of the contents of the url bar without
    >> un-highlighting the original selection. In IE or Avant, I can highlight a
    >> section of the url bar, then re-highlight any part of the address bar. In
    >> firefox I'd have to click somewhere to un-highlight the text and then
    >> re-highlight part of the url if I wanted to edit it in some way.

    > I can re-hilight in the address bar, but if I begin the 2nd swipe of the
    > mouse in an area that's *already* highlighted then Firefox will drag that
    > selected area to another location. If I start the 2nd swipe outside the
    > highlighted area, the existing selection is undone and a different area is
    > selected.

  4. Re: URL Annoyance

    Dave wrote:
    > Is there any fix or modification to resolve the following issue...
    >
    > I can't re-highlight part of the contents of the url bar without
    > un-highlighting the original selection. In IE or Avant, I can
    > highlight a section of the url bar, then re-highlight any part of the
    > address bar. In firefox I'd have to click somewhere to un-highlight
    > the text and then re-highlight part of the url if I wanted to edit it
    > in some way.

    What is this "re-highlight" to which you speak? AFAICT standard mouse
    selection applies to FF as it does to all Windows applications.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    A good scapegoat is almost as good as a solution.

  5. Re: URL Annoyance

    On 04.04.2008 21:11, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    >> Is there any fix or modification to resolve the following issue...
    >>
    >> I can't re-highlight part of the contents of the url bar without
    >> un-highlighting the original selection. In IE or Avant, I can
    >> highlight a section of the url bar, then re-highlight any part of the
    >> address bar. In firefox I'd have to click somewhere to un-highlight
    >> the text and then re-highlight part of the url if I wanted to edit it
    >> in some way.

    > What is this "re-highlight" to which you speak? AFAICT standard mouse
    > selection applies to FF as it does to all Windows applications.

    What he's speaking about is ... When you're on a web page with a url
    displayed in the location window, see how many times it takes you to
    click in the window to highlight the entire url address. Sometimes it's
    the first try and most times it takes two to three clicks. I just either
    hit ctrl+a to hilite all or click/swipe the url.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  6. Re: URL Annoyance

    "Jay Garcia" wrote in message
    news:ZrudnVLZ6v9SyGranZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 04.04.2008 21:11, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    No that's not what I'm talking about. Say I want to copy or cut part of a
    url in the address bar, I'd click & hold the left mouse button and move the
    mouse to highlight the text. However, if I had selected too much text and
    wanted to re-highlight the correct part of the url I have to 'click off' the
    url so it is un-highlighted, then I'd have to re-highlight it again. In IE
    or Avant, I can make the second selection/highlight whilst the first
    selection is still highlighted.

  7. Re: URL Annoyance

    Dave wrote:
    > Is there any fix or modification to resolve the following issue...
    >
    > I can't re-highlight part of the contents of the url bar without
    > un-highlighting the original selection. In IE or Avant, I can highlight a
    > section of the url bar, then re-highlight any part of the address bar. In
    > firefox I'd have to click somewhere to un-highlight the text and then
    > re-highlight part of the url if I wanted to edit it in some way.

    If I'm correctly understanding what you're asking, try this.

    On Windows, the FF default is to highlight the entire url. You can
    change this by going to the URL bar, and entering: about:config.

    In the Filter bar, enter: browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll

    The default value, on Windows, is 'true'. Double click on the
    preference name, to toggle it to 'false'.

    Now when you click in the URL bar, it will no longer automatically
    select the entire line, you can click and drag to select the part you
    want to edit, without first having to de-select the full URL.

    --
    Alex K.

  8. Re: URL Annoyance

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > What he's speaking about is ... When you're on a web page with a url
    > displayed in the location window, see how many times it takes you to
    > click in the window to highlight the entire url address. Sometimes it's
    > the first try and most times it takes two to three clicks. I just
    > either hit ctrl+a to hilite all or click/swipe the url.

    It's always 1 click for me though I also tend to use Ctrl-L in the first
    place to not only highlight the URL but to get to the address box in the
    first place.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    If I only had a little humility, I'd be perfect. - Ted Turner

  9. Re: URL Annoyance

    Dave wrote:
    > No that's not what I'm talking about. Say I want to copy or cut part
    > of a url in the address bar, I'd click & hold the left mouse button
    > and move the mouse to highlight the text. However, if I had selected
    > too much text and wanted to re-highlight the correct part of the url I
    > have to 'click off' the url so it is un-highlighted, then I'd have to
    > re-highlight it again. In IE or Avant, I can make the second
    > selection/highlight whilst the first selection is still highlighted.

    It would be helpful if you explained better what "In IE or Avant, I can
    make the second selection/highlight whilst the first selection is still
    highlighted" really means...

    But, as I said before, standard mouse selection rules seem to apply. For
    example, giving http://example.com/path/file.html, left clicking in the
    URL box will select all of that URL. If you then hold shift and left
    click on the "f" of file you'll have from the start of "h" -> "f"
    selected. Continuing to hold shift and clicking "." in example.com and
    you'll have "h" -> "." highlighted. And finally shift-clicking on the
    "m" in file.html will extend the selection back from the "h" -> "m".
    This is all standard extend selection in Windows (and most other GUIs).

    And now I will guess for you what you really meant (next time explain
    better). In FF, if you click and drag a selected piece of text FF will
    effectively drag the selected text in a copy and paste operation. So you
    can select a URL then click on the highlighted URL and drag it into say
    a Compose window or a text editor. Note that this is totally consistent
    with just about all other GUI text fields including the HTML renderer in
    FF, and, for that matter, IE. So FF is being very consistent here.

    It seems that IE (I don't have Avant) breaks consistency for the
    addressbox only in that if the URL is selected and you attempt to click
    and drag the highlighted URL into say Notepad you will not get the same
    behavior. Instead IE will unhighlight the URL and your dragging will
    then be reselecting part of the URL.

    IMHO this is useful but breaks the convention.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?

  10. Re: URL Annoyance

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >> No that's not what I'm talking about. Say I want to copy or cut part
    >> of a url in the address bar, I'd click & hold the left mouse button
    >> and move the mouse to highlight the text. However, if I had selected
    >> too much text and wanted to re-highlight the correct part of the url I
    >> have to 'click off' the url so it is un-highlighted, then I'd have to
    >> re-highlight it again. In IE or Avant, I can make the second
    >> selection/highlight whilst the first selection is still highlighted.

    > It would be helpful if you explained better what "In IE or Avant, I can
    > make the second selection/highlight whilst the first selection is still
    > highlighted" really means...
    >
    > But, as I said before, standard mouse selection rules seem to apply. For
    > example, giving http://example.com/path/file.html, left clicking in the
    > URL box will select all of that URL. If you then hold shift and left
    > click on the "f" of file you'll have from the start of "h" -> "f"
    > selected. Continuing to hold shift and clicking "." in example.com and
    > you'll have "h" -> "." highlighted. And finally shift-clicking on the
    > "m" in file.html will extend the selection back from the "h" -> "m".
    > This is all standard extend selection in Windows (and most other GUIs).
    >
    > And now I will guess for you what you really meant (next time explain
    > better). In FF, if you click and drag a selected piece of text FF will
    > effectively drag the selected text in a copy and paste operation. So you
    > can select a URL then click on the highlighted URL and drag it into say
    > a Compose window or a text editor. Note that this is totally consistent
    > with just about all other GUI text fields including the HTML renderer in
    > FF, and, for that matter, IE. So FF is being very consistent here.
    >
    > It seems that IE (I don't have Avant) breaks consistency for the

    I think Avant is just a shell for IE, albeit many Avant users talk about
    it as if it was a different browser rather than being IE with a
    different shirt.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  11. Re: URL Annoyance

    On 05.04.2008 06:39, Dave wrote:

    >> On 04.04.2008 21:11, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    In essence we're talking about the same thing.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

+ Reply to Thread